Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
there is also no budget involved here and there hasn't been one since 2010. This is about the government being allowed to borrow more money to be able to make debt payments and avoid a default.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And it's amazing how quickly the need to have great victories means presenting failure as success and calling anyone who points it out a whiny unrealistic extremist.

It's certainly frustrating. Food prices are insanely high at the moment, but the Dems are choosing to withdraw a helping hand for those who desperately need it. Every time they need to Get Things Done, it's always the poor that suffers first, and the most, and oftentimes the only ones who suffer.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Cranappleberry posted:

there is also no budget involved here and there hasn't been one since 2010. This is about the government being allowed to borrow more money to be able to make debt payments and avoid a default.

Is this post from 2014? There was a budget passed last year. And the deal is a budget/appropriations bill, that's how they're capping spending for the next two years.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Depending on the details that come out (And whether it actually passes), I think this might actually be a win for Biden?

Obviously, spending cuts suck and work requirements are stupid as all hell, and if we lived in a country with sane politicians that wouldn't have been the debate. But since the Republicans won the House in November, spending cuts were going to happen — they were never going to pass a budget without them, and they don't care about shutting down the government to make that happen.

(Also the "The Dems are showing their colors as actually being Republicans!" chat is just nonsense, like yeah guys they passed trillions of dollars in spending bills and expanded the child tax credit because they just love making spending cuts, come the gently caress on guys)

But anyway, I think if the deal holds (And the details don't turn out to be particularly heinous, which reportedly they don't seem to be so far), I think it'll turn out as a win for the Dems given the situation — because they're getting two years of a functional government in exchange for only marginal spending cuts and extremely tepid "reform," which in turn defeats the primary advantage Republicans have in holding the House, since they'll no longer be able to threaten to take the government hostage for the rest of Biden's first term. That in and of itself is a big win for Biden, and it's extremely funny to think that McCarthy may have negotiated himself into irrelevancy.

e: Also the Freedom Caucus hates it, which is always a positive indication.

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1662678451550076928?s=20

This is an excellent description of how a win for democrats, in the sense of people who currently hold national office understand that title, does not equal a win for anyone other than them. How is this good news for anything other than nebulous future elections? Why should I be enthusiastic about another term for Biden if this is what he does with his first term? Work requirements for public aid are evil, just as cuts to public aid are evil. Is the argument here that these things are inevitable and the only thing to be expected of our politicians is that sometimes they mitigate the degree of inevitable evil things?

It might be inevitable, but it’s not good in any sense. It’s a symptom of the failure of liberal democracy in America.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Joe Biden can suck my entire rear end. loving prick!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

theCalamity posted:

It's certainly frustrating. Food prices are insanely high at the moment, but the Dems are choosing to withdraw a helping hand for those who desperately need it. Every time they need to Get Things Done, it's always the poor that suffers first, and the most, and oftentimes the only ones who suffer.

That's because that's exactly how the system was designed to work.
Somehow, the hard pragmatic decision always involves loving over the poor and vulnerable and then expecting us to thank them for yet another knife in the back.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

This is going to kill people.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Only if you view individuals below a certain income level as people.
Politicians don't have that problem.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Twincityhacker posted:

...I'd argue that "not letting the goverment default" is a progressive position.

Depends. I'd figure 'saying gently caress you to the hostage taking and putting it before the SCOTUS to enforce the 14th Amendment with a global financial crisis as motivation not to shrug it off' might be a better option than giving the GOP what they want and kicking the can another two years down the road.

The trumpists in the House Freedom Caucus aren't going to get any less crazy in that time.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

I AM GRANDO posted:

Work requirements for public aid are evil, just as cuts to public aid are evil. Is the argument here that these things are inevitable and the only thing to be expected of our politicians is that sometimes they mitigate the degree of inevitable evil things?

The deal expands work requirements for public aid because voters in 2022 elected a Republican house, the house is in charge of the budget, and Republicans want work requirements (ok not really, they want to eliminate those programs). Even if the debt limit didn't exist, Republicans could have won this kind of deal in a normal budget fight. If Democrats had wanted the work requirements, they could have done them in the last two years when they controlled both chambers of congress and the presidency.

James Garfield fucked around with this message at 07:34 on May 28, 2023

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

James Garfield posted:

The deal expands work requirements for public aid because voters in 2022 elected a Republican house, the house is in charge of the budget, and Republicans want work requirements (ok not really, they want to eliminate those programs). If Democrats had wanted the work requirements, they could have done them in the last two years when they controlled both chambers of congress and the presidency.

They already made a budget, though, right? This is over raising the debt ceiling so that the country can pay for the spending it already committed to. If the Democrats didn't want the GOP to use the debt ceiling to threaten the country, as they've done many times in the last decade, they could have gotten rid of it in the last two years when they controlled both chambers of congress and the presidency.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Liquid Communism posted:

Depends. I'd figure 'saying gently caress you to the hostage taking and putting it before the SCOTUS to enforce the 14th Amendment with a global financial crisis as motivation not to shrug it off' might be a better option than giving the GOP what they want and kicking the can another two years down the road.

The trumpists in the House Freedom Caucus aren't going to get any less crazy in that time.

There is too much risk in trying to predict what SCOTUS would do with this. The court has already proven they don't give a gently caress about public opinion, and Roberts has completely lost control. That's not a bet I'd want to make - and it's not a bet I'd want the White House to make either.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

cr0y posted:

"In principle" doing a lot of work here.

I still really wish he would have said screw it you get nothing because Republicans give zero fucks about actually governing.

The patronizing language here is infuriating. "Not everyone gets what they want". gently caress you old man, the only reason this is even an issue is because your party is happy to play along with this bullshit. It's an entirely manufactured crisis.

Joe Biden got exactly what he wanted. He gets to uphold his only campaign promise that he actually meant: nothing will fundamentally change (for the rich).

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

theCalamity posted:

If the Democrats didn't want the GOP to use the debt ceiling to threaten the country, as they've done many times in the last decade, they could have gotten rid of it in the last two years when they controlled both chambers of congress and the presidency.

Well, if Biden invented a mind control ray to use to make Kyrsten Sinema vote for it, he could certainly have done that.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

James Garfield posted:

Well, if Biden invented a mind control ray to use to make Kyrsten Sinema vote for it, he could certainly have done that.

Biden didn't want the debt ceiling removed. It didn't come down to Sinema or Manchin. It didn't even come up for a vote in the House. It just wallowed in a committee in the House. The Democrats had the opportunity, they had the power, and did nothing even though everyone could see it being used against them... because this isn't the first time this has happened. Or the second. Or third

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/speeches-remarks/2022/10/21/remarks-by-president-biden-on-historic-deficit-reduction/

quote:

THE PRESIDENT: The permanent repeal of the debt ceiling? What do you mean?

Q Of the debt limit. Yeah.

THE PRESIDENT: You mean, just say we don’t have a debt limit?

Q No debt limit.

THE PRESIDENT: No.

Q Okay.

THE PRESIDENT: That would be irresponsible.

theCalamity fucked around with this message at 08:12 on May 28, 2023

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
Incrementalism, but instead of making glacial progress it's just conceding that things can only ever get worse, so we'll do it by a thousand cuts and call it pragmatic. Decrementalism.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Goons: "I would just dare them to shoot the hostage."

poo poo sucks, but they said a while ago that they felt a 14th amendment solution would get jammed in the courts, so a deal was inevitable. And yeah you don't get what you want when the other guy has a veto.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Goons: "I would just dare them to shoot the hostage."

So instead of letting them "shoot the hostage" we let them extort more and more concessions over years that will result in poverty and death for vulnerable individuals. Poor pregnancy outcomes. Kids performing poorly in underfunded schools because they're hungry and chronically stressed.

In fact they want to keep the debt ceiling around, even though the only purpose it serves is as an excuse for slashing essential services.

Being pragmatic and making hard decisions only ever means deciding that vulnerable people get even less support.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
Given the shackles they placed upon themselves, the Democrats got a pretty good deal. But it's pretty lovely in absolute terms. I thought everyone had learned their lesson about leaving power to Republicans in hopes the "moderates" would come to the rescue, but we aren't quite there yet.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

AKA Pseudonym posted:

Given the shackles they placed upon themselves, the Democrats got a pretty good deal. But it's pretty lovely in absolute terms. I thought everyone had learned their lesson about leaving power to Republicans in hopes the "moderates" would come to the rescue, but we aren't quite there yet.

At this point I think everyone realises that except the most senile who still think Carter is president, but they and the media class who serve the ruling class are financially obligated to keep up the kayfabe.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I'm sure glad we got a whole two years of not putting a gun to the head of the world economy in a manufactured crisis and all it cost was dead people in poverty. Vote harder, suckers! That'll keep you alive next time. Maybe. If we decide to care. Your sacrifice will not be remembered.

But be sure to vote blue no matter who for the only thing that matters in the next two years. In between burying your children or whatever, nobody cares.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

To the folks complaining about this specific deal - have any of you ever been in a contentious negotiation? It's easy to claim that the Dems should have fixed this 2 years ago, sure, but given the circumstances over the last 3 months, this seems to be a pretty good outcome if goes through.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Shooting Blanks posted:

To the folks complaining about this specific deal - have any of you ever been in a contentious negotiation? It's easy to claim that the Dems should have fixed this 2 years ago, sure, but given the circumstances over the last 3 months, this seems to be a pretty good outcome if goes through.

One with an easy way out such as minting a coin or evoking the 14th amendment? Yes, at work, constantly. And I always take the metaphorical minting of the minting of the coin route personally because I don’t find it worth anyone’s time to reason with unreasonable people. But then again I don’t think like alleged rapist Biden nor his supporters.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

One with an easy way out such as minting a coin or evoking the 14th amendment? Yes, at work, constantly. And I always take the metaphorical minting of the minting of the coin route personally because I don’t find it worth anyone’s time to reason with unreasonable people. But then again I don’t think like alleged rapist Biden nor his supporters.

Sure super easy process that has never been done before and will certainly go in front of a republican supreme court.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
I think a number of people vastly overestimate how much even the fanatics on the current SCOTUS would be willing to take responsibility for an action that would actually financially hurt their backers.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

socialsecurity posted:

Sure super easy process that has never been done before and will certainly go in front of a republican supreme court.

Better not doing anything than because of some mythical robed wizards who have zero legal authority to enforce their rulings under the constitution might do moves that benefit republicans. Instead let’s preempt them and gently caress over the most vulnerable.

Like I said, I don’t think like alleged rapist Biden nor his supporters.

Liquid Communism posted:

I think a number of people vastly overestimate how much even the fanatics on the current SCOTUS would be willing to take responsibility for an action that would actually financially hurt their backers.

Exactly. Anyone claiming that “Dems blinked” or some poo poo are either naive or actively callous. Dems didn’t blink. They nodded gleefully along while loving over the most vulnerable. Liberals are polite conservatives and nothing more.

virtualboyCOLOR fucked around with this message at 12:46 on May 28, 2023

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Better not doing anything than because of some mythical robed wizards who have zero legal authority to enforce their rulings under the constitution might do moves that benefit republicans. Instead let’s preempt them and gently caress over the most vulnerable.

Like I said, I don’t think like alleged rapist Biden nor his supporters.

Exactly. Anyone claiming that “Dems blinked” or some poo poo are either naive or actively callous. Dems didn’t blink. They nodded gleefully along while loving over the most vulnerable. Liberals are polite conservatives and nothing more.

Nevermind, It seems you care less about reality then having some "libs" to yell at.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Liquid Communism posted:

The delay is a problem. How long would it take to be fast tracked to SCOTUS? Absolute best case scenario, we're talking about months. That still fucks over every single person in the US. It's a bad solution.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

socialsecurity posted:

Nevermind, It seems you care less about reality then having some "libs" to yell at.

How is your statement any different from the republicans nonsense about guns:

Can’t do anything because criminals can still get guns.

VS

Can’t do anything because the Supreme Court might strike it down.

Shooting Blanks posted:

The delay is a problem. How long would it take to be fast tracked to SCOTUS? Absolute best case scenario, we're talking about months. That still fucks over every single person in the US. It's a bad solution.

In what timeline? You are asking those in power to actively hurt large sections of capital. Wouldn’t happen.

virtualboyCOLOR fucked around with this message at 12:56 on May 28, 2023

Dull Fork
Mar 22, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It will, but because theres enough 'steps' in the way, not enough people will see it for the murder it actually is. I really wish our country's populace was as willing to kill politicians, as politicians are willing to kill vulnerable people. Someone should figure out how to put enough 'steps' in there to off some politicians, see if they can't pull it off the way these fucks are doing to vulnerable people, some of which I know and love deeply.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

>>> "Vote blue no matter who"

Had a few more people done that, we would literally not be in this situation right now because the House would be in the Democrats hands and there would be no debt ceiling crisis and no talk of spending caps.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Twincityhacker posted:

Had a few more people done that, we would literally not be in this situation right now because the House would be in the Democrats hands and there would be no debt ceiling crisis and no talk of spending caps.

And there it is. This is a manufactured problem with a legitimate way out but never miss an opportunity to scold the vulnerable.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

In what timeline? You are asking those in power to actively hurt large sections of capital. Wouldn’t happen.

Please describe to me, in detail, how a claim about Congress' and the White House would have a claim fast tracked to SCOTUS. How many courts would it go through, how fast could they process it, and what damage would it do every single day that it didn't happen.
Use historical examples, not projections.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Shooting Blanks posted:

Please describe to me, in detail, how a claim about Congress' and the White House would have a claim fast tracked to SCOTUS. How many courts would it go through, how fast could they process it, and what damage would it do every single day that it didn't happen.
Use historical examples, not projections.

Ex Parte Merryman

Worcester v. Georgia

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Ex Parte Merryman

Worcester v. Georgia

Please describe to me, in detail. Did you fail to read the first thing I asked?

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Shooting Blanks posted:

Please describe to me, in detail. Did you fail to read the first thing I asked?

Congress is starting to get involved with this, at least. I think we've seen a few other posts here, but hopefully it will go somewhere.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Ex Parte Merryman

Worcester v. Georgia

It seems somewhat sus to rely on the Professor to elucidate case law

Which you know he will, so maybe we're all fine?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Congress is starting to get involved with this, at least. I think we've seen a few other posts here, but hopefully it will go somewhere.

Another dodge. Are you sure you aren't a GOP plant in here?

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

Twincityhacker posted:

Since the dems decided that getting rid of the debt ceiling wasn't important when we "blue no matter who"'d them into full control of the government, this was always going to happen. I wonder what the Republicans will demand next time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I absolutely loathe that deals are continually made with terrorists over the debt ceiling. Every time this comes up it's always "we got a good deal, we only have to abandon/kill a surprisingly small amount of the poor and vulnerable instead of the large amount that was expected! :toot:", and it's loving nauseating.

That said, I honestly don't know how far I trust the old standby of "don't worry, the capitalist overbarons will save us from the implosion of our own government, it's in their own interests to do so!". After the last two decades I can't bring myself to trust blindly that the fanatics won't shoot the hostage and that the capitalist puppetmasters are actually brilliant.

I'm also not convinced that a 14th amendment solution wouldn't lead to a muted version of what would happen in the case of a default to begin with, because faith in U.S. debt would, at least in the short term, temporarily collapse even if it was ultimately upheld in the Supreme Court.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 13:28 on May 28, 2023