Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Steve Wiebe.
This poll is closed.
Steve Wiebe. 30 42.25%
Steve Wiebe. 41 57.75%
Total: 48 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Xenogears is so loving cool, warts and all. OST is godlike, or Deus-like if you will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Waffleman_ posted:

Its story is also conveyed in kind of a weird way because a lot of Square's resources were put on Final Fantasy 8 and it ended up costing Xenogears one disc less than they wrote the story for

The FF8 stuff is an internet fallacy, it was an inexperienced team who bit off more than they could chew then got told by the higher ups to wrap it up with what they had in a couple of months or it wasn't getting released.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Waffleman_ posted:

Its story is also conveyed in kind of a weird way because a lot of Square's resources were put on Final Fantasy 8 and it ended up costing Xenogears one disc less than they wrote the story for

I've read that Square never really wanted Xenogears released in the first place and tried to intentionally bury the game.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I said come in! posted:

I've read that Square never really wanted Xenogears released in the first place and tried to intentionally bury the game.
some people spread conspiracies like that but its super not true. xenogears got a pretty lavish marketing campaign at the time. not as involved as like, the ff9 coca cola tie-in, but it got a lot of commercials, merchandise, artbooks, magazine ads, etc. the jp tagline was literally

'final fantasy. saga. chrono trigger. and now, xenogears.'

in fact square very much *wanted* xenogears made. it was originally pitched as final fantasy 7, but the higher-ups thought it was too out there for a mainline final fantasy game. now, as a failed pitch for ff7, it could have easily been discarded with any number of failed pitches for ff games, like the pitch for ffx where tidus is a plumber. but instead, they gave it a ton of funding because the pitch impressed them. the only time they cracked the whip on the devs or threatened to cancel it was when it went overtime and overbudget and square wanted it out to fill the gap between ff7 and ff8. Which, again, shows that they wanted it released - it was their big budget RPG for 1998.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 01:40 on May 28, 2023

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

heck square originally greenlit a sequel to xenogears and some early planning was done, it only got canned because of how massively over budget spirits within was going.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i can only assume the 'square HATED xenogears' and 'FF8 killed xenogears' stuff is an attempt by xenogears fans to make the game seem counter cultural and deep... 'square tried to bury it man... it was TOO powerful...' when in reality they ran ads for it during baseball games. they ran ads for it during the king of braves gaogaigar.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
workshopping a joke about drakengard WWF advertising

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I think disc 2 being what it is and the game coming out in 98 when you couldnt just ask on twitter why it was like that, lead people into imagining there was a more interesting story about its development than there really was

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Feels Villeneuve posted:

something something, Kane except it's Kaine something

does Kane still wrestle, he's got to be like 60 by now

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Feels Villeneuve posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3x1g0W_9uc

the greatest jrpg commercial of all time

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Hwurmp posted:

something something, Kane except it's Kaine something

does Kane still wrestle, he's got to be like 60 by now

he retired in like 2018 in order to be a republican mayor.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Jay Rust posted:

TotK retains so many of the lil nitpicks I had with botw, lil annoyances like obligatory cutscenes (skippable but that’s still several button clicks) for very common occurrences, I’m actually legit disappointed that they saw fit to keep them. Is it my fault for not telling Nintendo about them?

it is imperative to the developer's vision that you watch the great fairy make the same horny gesture at link 20 times in a row as you go through your inventory upgrading all your armor

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

You raised my hopes and dashed them quite expertly, bravo sir!

verbal enema posted:

I thought DE was boring but I'm also very dumb

If you played it before the final cut came out I recommend giving it another go. The fully voice acted dialog added a lot of weight to the conversations that I didn't get before. It's one of those rare games where I didn't want to skip any voice acting because it just added so much to the tone and story.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

it is imperative to the developer's vision that you watch the great fairy make the same horny gesture at link 20 times in a row as you go through your inventory upgrading all your armor

This but sincerely

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

the upgrades dont work if you arent watching the ritual

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

hang on i don't remember if i posted this the other day when the MGS∆ trailer was shown but parrots don't eat frogs

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/ScrewyClassic/status/1662340294090670080?s=20

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Kerrzhe posted:

hang on i don't remember if i posted this the other day when the MGS∆ trailer was shown but parrots don't eat frogs

I thought maybe it was the parrot that belongs to the End, and they were grabbing him a snack.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Kerrzhe posted:

sounds like something a parrot would post tbqh

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

this is a lot of info to put in your aoe2 mod description

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

lol MBAs

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Always sad whenever running/sprinting isn’t the fastest mode of conveyance on foot in a game, I thought I’d enjoy watching some n64 Zelda challenge runs but link’s either somersaulting nonstop or backpedaling like a lunatic

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Watch a NV cripple run speedrun. absolute nausea

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Jay Rust posted:

Always sad whenever running/sprinting isn’t the fastest mode of conveyance on foot in a game

this except the exact opposite

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
heck yeah

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
love the fact that in portrait of ruin, switching characters cancels the end lag of a slide so the faster form of movement in the early game has you switching characters constantly

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Sounds p annoying

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Charlotte!Johnathan!Charlotte!Johnathan!Charlotte!Johnathan!

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I just move at the intended speed handcrafted by the developer

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

hatty posted:

I just move at the intended speed handcrafted by the developer

This. If a chef made you an exquisite meal you wouldn’t dash cancel around thr restaurant and clip through the table to pay for your bill quicker

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
i would dash cancel to the condiment cart to get some ketchup for my steak

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

MechaSeinfeld posted:

This. If a chef made you an exquisite meal you wouldn’t dash cancel around thr restaurant and clip through the table to pay for your bill quicker

I do, and that's why I'm no longer allowed at Dave and Buster's.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Who would you rather have dinner with: a half life 1 speedrunner, a minecraft streamer, a gamerscore achievement hunter, or a professional super smash bros. player?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
jay rust I know you like to shitpost but this is going too far

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Jay Rust posted:

Who would you rather have dinner with: a half life 1 speedrunner, a minecraft streamer, a gamerscore achievement hunter, or a professional super smash bros. player?

I think the HL1 speedrunner is the only one there that would, statistically, be the least likely to be a criminal.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

speaking of speedrunning, it's almost time, gamers: SGDQ 2023 starts later today, and it's a proper in-person event this time

the sonic frontiers any% should be a good opener if the tech has evolved from what i remember seeing way back when it came out. extremely looking forwards to the pizza tower run on thursday, and i admit to being morbidly curious about the blindfolded BotW run near the end, because how the hell do you even do that

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Vermain posted:

speaking of speedrunning, it's almost time, gamers: SGDQ 2023 starts later today, and it's a proper in-person event this time

Where's TASBot? :(

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Infinitum posted:

Where's TASBot? :(

i believe they generally keep it to AGDQ nowadays by virtue of the fact that it's hard to make a TAS that looks uniquely impressive enough to warrant a slot, as well as not wanting to burn people out on simple "here's an extremely optimized TAS" displays

i like TASes, especially ones with full commentary, but if you're not doing some extremely goofy poo poo with it, then it's really just a highly efficient replay with a predetermined outcome, and that doesn't tend to draw in the crowd as much

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Jay Rust posted:

I don’t think you get to be that picky in jail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Jay Rust posted:

Can I exchange Half-Life 1 for GoldenEye?