Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

I'm not hopeful for our society if the only punishment options they can come up with are 'prison' or 'nothing'. Dude stole food so he gets short rations and longer shifts for a while, or something.

But fine, if we're going to be stupid, prison it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Prison

By the way, you can avoid the poets death by dismantling the propaganda center after building it and using it one time, then still make agitators for their bonuses.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Pleasure House, maybe some of these rabble rousers would be less agitated if their energy could be focused elsewhere.

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

I tried to sneak through the canal, man! Can't make it, can't make it, the ship's stuck! Outta my way son! BOAT STUCK! BOAT STUCK!
Prison

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I wanted to do an amusing thing in the spirit of Victorian political pamphlets only to discover that they're all apparently locked behind academic subscription walls, this is so disappointing.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.
I am confident that even after the frostpocalypse, Punch is still in publication and that Sir John Tenniel is out there somewhere, drawing scathingly satirical caricatures of engineers and Irishmen.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Mechanical Ape posted:

I am confident that even after the frostpocalypse, Punch is still in publication and that Sir John Tenniel is out there somewhere, drawing scathingly satirical caricatures of engineers and Irishmen.

I am sure he is lurking in the depths below London even now, scribbling his pen furiously with a single piece of coal glowing a brazier beside him.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

By popular demand posted:

I wanted to do an amusing thing in the spirit of Victorian political pamphlets only to discover that they're all apparently locked behind academic subscription walls, this is so disappointing.

I can peek over that wall, whatcha looking for?

Pleasure houses, maybe the Londoners are longing for some other comforts?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Prostitution specifically, I wanted to modify an anti-sex work rant into a positive.

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

By popular demand posted:

Prostitution specifically, I wanted to modify an anti-sex work rant into a positive.

I can't say this is where I expected the thread to go when I started it, but I'm looking forward to seeing what comes of it.

Remalle fucked around with this message at 23:54 on May 26, 2023

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense

my dad posted:

Prison, let's not have any lynchings.

Good point.

stryth
Apr 7, 2018

Got bread?
GIVE BREADS!
Prison, the killers can test out the wonders of our latest recipe while they're cooling their heels, COLD SAWDUST SOUP!

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.

stryth posted:

cooling their heels

Oi! There’s no saying the c-word in this town, matey. It’s captain’s orders. Now move along before I start tapping my truncheon in a threatening manner.

Ironically the Prison is one of the best-insulated buildings you can build. It’d be a very desirable place to live if not for the hourly beatings and of course Room 101.

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

Captain's Log, Days Twenty-Two and Twenty-Three
The recent episodes of theft and murder have made it clear that we need a way to institute proper punishment for criminals.

To that end a prison will finally be built, able to hold up to thirty criminals at a time. While incarcerated, Londoners will be subjected to rehabilitation to ensure their return to proper society upon release.

This is the most advanced steelworks upgrade we will be able to research, over three times as productive as the original design. Both of ours are working around the clock thanks to automaton labour now, so we could upgrade them at any time of day without worrying about losing a work shift.

The Prison is open! You proved that your promise of increased safety and order wasn't just hollow words.

Finally, a place to keep the animals and scum in our city away from our children and innocents! Simultaneous with the opening is the memorial service for Guardman Bewley, and so it is only fitting that we name the new institution after him; it's how he would have wanted to be remembered.

The Guards immediately round up ten known Londoners. Over the course of the next four days we will ensure they never return to that organization again.

A distinct spot in Frostland. We can use it as a waypoint for further exploration.

Our search hasn't uncovered anything of value, but we may be able to reach some more promising locations from here.

A series of small, barely visible mounds with a strikingly rectangular shape. Crates, probably.

As expected there's nothing of note at the frozen pond, but the scouts do spot some snow-covered supplies a little further out.

Sir, the thief you let walk free has approached us with some of his friends. They told us who killed the guard and returned some of the stolen supplies.
"This tragedy has opened our eyes," they say. "We were stupid. All this talk about choosing our own way, what has it gained? A man's dead. We're done with the Londoners for good."

The thief I showed leniency to has shown us where he stashed the food he stole, though some still remains unaccounted for.

Between last night's roundup, the thief and his friends' repudiation, and the general overall mood, the remaining Londoner count this morning is a mere twelve.

The Generator stress level is at critical level, you have to turn off the overdrive. Now!

Incredibly deep groans and high-pitched squeals indicate the Generator is approaching its absolute limit - to avoid a disaster on the same scale as Winterhome, I personally climb up to hit the switch that disengages its overdrive setting. Though it is immediately cold again all over the city, the Generator is settling down to its usual growly roar.

The snow covering the crates is deep, but we're sure there are some valuable supplies buried down there.

Under the snow we uncovered many crates full of supplies. There's no telling who might have left them here.

Considering how deeply buried this food is, it's unlikely whoever left it here is ever coming back for it. With the supplies uncovered there are no further spots in Frostland to explore that we know of, so all of our scouts are recalled home.

The advanced steelworks upgrades are complete! It is a thing of beauty to watch the carts full of steel ingots being wheeled away from the fully automated mills at a near constant rate.

The Generator can now be safely run at an even higher heat level, with zero fear of the catastrophe that using the overdrive entails. This was initially only sustainable for a day or so, but with further improvements of our coal mining techniques we are now back in the black for coal production, barely.

Sir, our guards have reported this woman for attacking them on patrol. She was cursing them and hitting them with her fists when they brought her in.
"I would've come by myself!" the woman says. "These swine have been pestering me day in, day out, and I'm sick of it! They say they need to check if everything's in order, but it's just an excuse for them to make advances!"

Our Guards must be above reproach if they are to be shining examples of Order in this city, and our people must know they can come to them without fear. I personally reprimand the Guards in question, and even go so far as to suspend them from duty (with full pay) for the rest of the day.

With the latest patrol, our Guards report that spirits are as high as they ever were before the discovery of the fate of Winterhome and the formation of Londoners!

This is reflected in the fact that there are now only eight people left in the entire city still planning to abandon us for London!

The temperature has risen again. I never thought I'd be so glad to see -40 on the thermometer - of course, the mercury is still frozen, so it's been saying -40 for days. Leaving the generator at heat level three ensures that people won't be getting sick from the cold for the time being.

The scouts return with their final haul. We have stripped Frostland bare of all the resources we could find for now.

This is the redesign I was waiting for before beginning our housing upgrade - with as many residence as we have now, this is a massive savings.

Upgrades have begun across the entire city, which has caused some consternation as people realize they won't have a home to return to at the end of the day. A bulletin is distributed assuring people that every single person will have a warm bed to sleep in by tonight.

Sir, there's been a terrible accident in one of our industrial facilities! Almost an entire team of workers has been killed. Should we cover it up and tell people that they went on an urgent expedition?

This is by far the worst disaster we have yet faced in the Pit. An auxiliary relief line valve in the coal thumper burst and near-instantly killed seven people with ultra-pressurized steam. Clinton Ponsonby, Eva Wilcott, Lottie Denton, Helen Sandys, Clem Wood, Leslie Hatch, and Hester Mollington will be missed, but...

Our people can't know about this. Not yet. A tragedy of this unprecedented scale would instantly shatter the peace and stability I have worked so hard to achieve, and only just succeeded in. The official line will be that they were dispatched on an urgent mission to evaluate the viability of the USS Hephaestus as the site of another outpost. One day, the people must know what happened to their comrades, but... it can't be now. Not while things are still so fragile.

I foresee a future not too far away when all of our workplaces will be manned only by automata. At the old effiency comparison of 60% compared to a full team of human workers, the automatons still came out ahead in a 24 hour period, but with improved integration to 70% the preference is clear.

As the people work hard to upgrade their own residences into true and permanent homes, it is time once again for another vote. With the pick of Prisons there is one new choice available:

Forceful Persuasion could compel the last few stubborn holdouts of the Londoners to recant by force, through Bewley Prison. This gives them a chance to finish out their sentence early, though some will not be hardy enough to make it through the conditioning unharmed.

How will we vote to maintain Order?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Forceful Persuasion. You gotta.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Prosthetics Let's at least pretend we aren't twirling our mustaches.

vetinari100
Nov 8, 2009

> Make her pay.
I still vote for Extended shift, although the benefit is diminishing as we move towards full automation. We still don't have any amputees that would require prosthetics.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Prosthetics We do not need to cross the line here.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

prosthetics.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Agitator

I don't think we need to go so far to get rid of the last hold outs.

Also the deaths are a scripted event of propaganda center... Propaganda center just suuuuucks because it forces the death of a lot of people, I always deconstruct it after building and using it once because... if the center doesn't physically exist it can't hurt people

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Which adds to my criticism of the game, by the way. They really want you to feel bad about certain options and actively change the world to hammer it in.

The poet's death is fine, it's entirely in line with consequences of the propaganda center's stated mission. Having the accident happen for some other reason, and giving you the option to cover it up, with all the creepy undertones, because you have the propaganda center - would have been fine.
Killing a bunch of people just to give you a chance to cover things up? Bullshit.

I sometimes wonder if the writers have ever seen how actual disaster relief (which in a lot of way what we're doing here ultimately is) operation look like. Spoiler: A surprising amount of it involves finding ways to tell people "stop panicking and don't do stupid poo poo" again and again. Not because people are idiots (they're generally not), but because disasters put a huge strain on everyone, and having a clear idea on what to do helps deal with this a lot.

e: Oh, right, vote. Prosthetics. May as well stock up on them in advance.

my dad fucked around with this message at 12:28 on May 27, 2023

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

I tried to sneak through the canal, man! Can't make it, can't make it, the ship's stuck! Outta my way son! BOAT STUCK! BOAT STUCK!
Prosthetics

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
Duelling Law.

The only way to stop hushed-up random tragic death is transparent intentional tragic death.

Supeerme
Sep 13, 2010
I feel that we are safe enough thank you. Last thing we need to do is turn this place into London. Folks keep asking for it so I might as well join in on the vote for Prosthetics

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense
Prosthetics

No more advancements on the Tree of Order: we cannot afford to lose hope.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
House of Pleasure, I think? Maybe save on heating? I mean, not really, but you know what I mean.

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

Prosthetics.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Prosthetics

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

Captain's Log, Days Twenty-Four and Twenty-Five
It is generally felt that we have gone as far as we need to with our Purpose laws to fix the Londoner problem. Therefore an Adaptation law has been selected instead, though we do not yet have need for it:

Based on the designs produced by Tesla Manufacturing, these prosthetics will allow anybody who loses a limb to frostbite or accidents to return to work with little to no loss of function.

In a small, secret location I and some trusted officials bury the bodies of the seven dead workers. One day they will have headstones made for them - perhaps we will tell everyone they disappeared out in the Frostlands.

Morale is high, and the Londoner's numbers are low. It's a good morning.

As with our coal and iron mines, the addition of another steam core to our wall drill design allows us to extract wood from the ice far faster and from deeper into the glacier.

Our housing upgrades are complete! Still supporting ten people to a building, these houses now have enough room and amenities for most of us to live more comfortably than we did back in the Old World.

As the factory puts the finishing touches on yet another automaton, I put in an order for ten prosthetic limbs. They are modular enough that we can have them stockpiled even before anybody has lost a limb and simply adapt the pre-built prosthetic to the individual when necessary.

The new automaton is equipped with our latest generation of artificial intelligence. It is given a workshop of its own to assist in our research - apparently it's able to produce blueprints that can only be told apart from a human-drawn blueprint by paying careful attention to certain details.

Sir, an engineer is asking for a day off to study an automaton closely.
"The automatons can be improved! They may be the pinnacle of our technology, but if we learned how to make them, we can surely learn how to make them better. If I take a closer look at any machine, I can adjust it to improve its performance. Why should it be any different with them?

One of the scientists, fascinated by having been joined on the research team by an automaton, is given the day off to examine its workings closer.

As the city expanded, a slapdash network of steam hubs grew with it to warm new streets and buildings. I've felt for a while now that we could redesign the steam hub coverage to be more efficient, and with this upgrade to their range I'm able to cut down on the number of unneeded ones.

As the city wakes up and almost everyone exchanges friendly nods and cheerful greetings on their way to work, a mere four Londoners are easily singled out by their downcast, dour faces. I met eyes with one of them on my way to my office and she looked away immediately, almost sheepish.

A further refinement to our steam hubs. Though the ones set to a higher radius have an equally doubled coal consumption rate, all hubs regardless of range now burn a third less coal than before.

Speaking of coal, the outpost team that was salvaging the Prometheus has been reassigned to Winterhome's abandoned coal mine.

In addition to the more efficient steam hubs, the Generator itself now burns a bit less coal. I know that with a bit more research we will be able to get one more heat level out of the Generator safely - though it won't be in time for the temperature drop that is due tomorrow. I have the engineers (and the engineer automaton) looking into an upgrade for our infirmary, which is currently empty but anticipates a wave of patients tomorrow.

Sir, the engineer working on the Automaton Project is back. He wants to borrow an automaton.
"I'm close to a breakthrough! I just need an automaton for a day and I believe I'll be able to propose specific modifications that will raise their performance permanently."

The loss of an automaton for an entire day would have been a significant blow just a week ago, but now I don't even hesitate to sign off on what the Automaton Project requires. I have faith in our engineers' abilities, and if something goes wrong, well, we can easily just build another automaton.

As I inspect the upgraded wall drills it is brought to my attention that it is time for another vote. Our options are as follows:

Agitator, Pledge of Loyalty, Forceful Persuasion, House of Pleasure, Duelling Law, Extended Shift, Triage, None of the Above.

How will we vote to maintain Order?

RC01214
Apr 14, 2013
Extended Shift

vetinari100
Nov 8, 2009

> Make her pay.
Extended shift.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Horse of Pleasure

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

Philippe posted:

Horse of Pleasure
:raise:

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I misspelled but I'm leaving it

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry

Philippe posted:

Horse of Pleasure

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Extended Shift.

Harder times are on the horizon, always. It is wise men who prepare in good times for them.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Extended shift.

Agitator would be a nice pickup too, after that I think we don't really need anything else.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
None of the Above Lets see what the Londoners do before we do anything drastic.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Mechanics talk regarding extended shift (not really spoilery but since I spoiler everything else): Along with the soup law, it's one of the few laws that can effectively be reversed. You don't have to use extended shifts in your workplaces, you simply can.

That reminds me, we have a lot of food, how about we switch to regular rations now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Agitator we might as well get a workplace bonus buff going.