Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth
Thanks for the discussion folks, I appreciate and agree with most of what folks have said. I have thought about introducing patron shout-outs but we don't have enough patrons yet to make that viable for more than like, three episodes. Oh well. At present we mention the Patreon and website at the top of the episode and give more details in the wrap-up, and it sounds like that's the least-worst option, so I think we'll continue with that format.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
I don't mind some ads but I find it getting a bit silly at times with some podcasts that you have to skip for over 3 min of ads for other podcasts and stuff.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Podcasts that put subtle music under their ad reads are the real MVP. Lets me know in an instant when to stop hammering the skip ahead button

Okua
Oct 30, 2016

So with the Waypoint podcast ending, does anybody have recommendations for gaming podcasts that cover more than one game per episode and/or dives into gaming news? I already listen to/have tried Crate and Crowbar, Cane and Rinse, and Watch Out For Fireballs.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Man these last three years have been loving brutal on shows I like. Maybe I should start listening to Joe Rogan or something so it can end.

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Okua posted:

So with the Waypoint podcast ending, does anybody have recommendations for gaming podcasts that cover more than one game per episode and/or dives into gaming news? I already listen to/have tried Crate and Crowbar, Cane and Rinse, and Watch Out For Fireballs.

Castle Super Beast is still going, though the focus is often on fighting games. Great chemistry and fun jokes though.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Okua posted:

How about The Level, which has Come from WOFFB on it too.

I know this will be groaned at, because of one of the hosts, but I like Rebel FM. Yeah, Arthur can be annoying, but I like Anthony.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I like recap podcasts on shows or cartoons I watched because since I'm mostly using podcasts to not go insane while at my job listening to warehouse noise and nothing else otherwise so I feel like I'd be terrible at having anything intelligent on.

Has anyone happened to stumble across a good Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. podcast? Between Dogs Must Die, Sex Archie and Homestuck Made this World, I'm really enjoying the fresh watch and discussion format that they have for those, aside from Sex Archie since they're keeping up with the show as it comes out. And aside from in the TV IV threads when the show was on, I never really saw anyone talking about it as it was coming out.

Okua
Oct 30, 2016

RareAcumen posted:

I like recap podcasts on shows or cartoons I watched because since I'm mostly using podcasts to not go insane while at my job listening to warehouse noise and nothing else otherwise so I feel like I'd be terrible at having anything intelligent on.

Has anyone happened to stumble across a good Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. podcast? Between Dogs Must Die, Sex Archie and Homestuck Made this World, I'm really enjoying the fresh watch and discussion format that they have for those, aside from Sex Archie since they're keeping up with the show as it comes out. And aside from in the TV IV threads when the show was on, I never really saw anyone talking about it as it was coming out.

I don't know about Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D, I just wanted to say that Best Quality Vacuum has been a pretty nice recap podcast for Breaking Bad.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Okua posted:

I don't know about Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D, I just wanted to say that Best Quality Vacuum has been a pretty nice recap podcast for Breaking Bad.

Seconding that recommendation, it’s a chill show to listen to while doing dishes. I like their excitement whenever the Marie shoplifting arc surfaces.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Seconding that recommendation, it’s a chill show to listen to while doing dishes. I like their excitement whenever the Marie shoplifting arc surfaces.

Maybe I should give it a go.
The very first podcast I ever followed (not counting 'downloadable radio shows' with mostly DJ mixes that people, including myself, had been doing since the '90ties),
was the 'official' breaking bad podcast made by I think an editor on the show, and vince gilligan was a regular guest.
You could learn more about making a tv series from that podcast than any film school.

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.
I'm not exactly sure if I have the right subforum for this, but the description does mention radio shows so.

I'm looking for podcasts that might be similar in style to the comedy albums of The Firesign Theater. Kind of like surreal radio plays with a rapid "have to rewind to catch all the jokes" feel to them. I tried posting on a podcast subreddit and someone there mentioned nightvale but it didn't really work for me. I'm unfamiliar with the wide world of podcasts generally so I'm wondering if anyone here can point me in the right direction if something like that exists.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

magic cactus posted:

I'm not exactly sure if I have the right subforum for this, but the description does mention radio shows so.

I'm looking for podcasts that might be similar in style to the comedy albums of The Firesign Theater. Kind of like surreal radio plays with a rapid "have to rewind to catch all the jokes" feel to them. I tried posting on a podcast subreddit and someone there mentioned nightvale but it didn't really work for me. I'm unfamiliar with the wide world of podcasts generally so I'm wondering if anyone here can point me in the right direction if something like that exists.

You could try the scripted episodes of E1. They definitely qualify as absurd radio dramas

A documentary about the death of Princess Diana that lays out a brand new theory as to what happened that fateful night
https://soundcloud.com/episode-one-868768631/155-crown-of-mist-the-final-day-of-princess-diana

A group of reprobates bonded together by their mutual interest in knowing where the good public bathrooms are get into a one-sided feud with a Mensa club over the best bathroom in Terre Haute
https://soundcloud.com/episode-one-868768631/178-the-real-story-of-the-terre-haute-bathroom-club

A heartwarming holiday tale about a woman from the big city who hates Christmas but has to move back to her Christmas-loving hometown, and also catch a serial killer
https://soundcloud.com/episode-one-868768631/261-the-christmas-pencil

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

Gripweed posted:

You could try the scripted episodes of E1. They definitely qualify as absurd radio dramas

A documentary about the death of Princess Diana that lays out a brand new theory as to what happened that fateful night
https://soundcloud.com/episode-one-868768631/155-crown-of-mist-the-final-day-of-princess-diana

A group of reprobates bonded together by their mutual interest in knowing where the good public bathrooms are get into a one-sided feud with a Mensa club over the best bathroom in Terre Haute
https://soundcloud.com/episode-one-868768631/178-the-real-story-of-the-terre-haute-bathroom-club

A heartwarming holiday tale about a woman from the big city who hates Christmas but has to move back to her Christmas-loving hometown, and also catch a serial killer
https://soundcloud.com/episode-one-868768631/261-the-christmas-pencil

I'll give these a shot, thanks!

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

magic cactus posted:

It's old and as far as I know, on indefinite hiatus. But actor James Urbaniak did a series of monologues that ranged from funny to creepy, and I enjoyed them a great deal: https://gettingonwithju.libsyn.com/

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

magic cactus posted:

I hate to recommend stuff I haven't listened to too much, but if you're looking for dense, scripted comedy I think I heard good things about Beef and Dairy Network. I listened to an episode or two and thought it was fine, and have always meant to go back to it. Very British, the ones I remember felt a look like the show Look Around You, if that helps.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

magic cactus posted:

The Frantics, an oldish CBC show that has the best of podcast out there. It's more sketch comedy though.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Thrilling adventure hour and superego might both be in the ballpark of the sort of thing you’d enjoy, if you want fast paced comedy with word play

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

Phoneposting so I can't quote everyone but thank you very much for all the recommendations! Listened to one of the episode one episodes gripweed linked and had a few good laughs. Going through the other recs. Thanks again.

Green Wing
Oct 28, 2013

It's the only word they know, but it's such a big word for a tiny creature

About four years ago I stopped learning things and I'd like to restart. I'm looking for podcasts that have an academic rather than entertainment feel, but don't know where to begin. History seems to be a good subject to start with - I take very long walks every day and want to do something with my brain while I'm doing this.

Nothing too high energy, sarcastic or irreverent. Nothing that has the same energy of a YouTube thumbnail.

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

Don't listen to it myself but for history of philosophy, I've heard the history of philosophy without any gaps is good. It's pretty in depth from what I've seen of the episode list. Covers stuff like African Philosophy too, so it's not just the standard "dead white guy" curriculum.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

History of Rome and Revolutions are both quite good. History of Rome, as it sounds, a history of Rome. Revolutions covers historically important revolutions, British, American, French, Haitian, French again, and so on. His audio is a little shaky at the start of History of Rome and he's got some iffy takes on the Russian Revolution but those are minor quibbles compared to the sheer amount of good content in both podcasts.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Green Wing posted:

About four years ago I stopped learning things and I'd like to restart. I'm looking for podcasts that have an academic rather than entertainment feel, but don't know where to begin. History seems to be a good subject to start with - I take very long walks every day and want to do something with my brain while I'm doing this.

Nothing too high energy, sarcastic or irreverent. Nothing that has the same energy of a YouTube thumbnail.

New books network

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Okua posted:

Eh, I appreciate the attempt. As a testament to my hosed up sense of taste, Breaking Bad's not a show I got into. I think I made it to a bit past Gus' death before just stopping because I wasn't that invested.

If anyone has any good animated comic book ones that also elaborate on how characters are different between appearances, I'd be fine with that. Say, a Teen Titans recap that expands on what the Doom Patrol's whole deal is and how Beast Boy was in there compared to the show or something like that.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

COPE 27 posted:

New books network

What’s this?

Green Wing posted:

If you want biology/zoology info I can’t recommend The Wild Episode, Common Descent Podcast, and Weird Animals podcast enough.

The former does about 30 mins on unique creatures around the world from small to big. Dude absolutely chooses things you’ve likely never heard of. His voice is great and it feels Attenbourgish. It’s not the most frequent updater but it’s steady and really good. I never subbed to anything but if he did do it I would in a heartbeat.

Common Descent is less narrative and more technical but extremely accessible as that’s the point. Pretty much on evolutionary biology they cover all sorts of topics but particularly animals and paleontology. Episodes, say the latest on monotremes tend to do an hour on the current diversity and then an hour on the fossil history. The hosts are nerds and fond of puns but they’re affable.

The last is a personal favorite even if it’s not as good as the others. It’s far shorter and weekly but listen to a woman from Tennessee talk to you about all sorts of creatures and cryptids with the enthusiasm of a fifth grader telling you their favorite things. It’s charming.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

What’s this?

The Wild Episode

Yeah, the wild episode is good, though it tends to make me fall asleep. I think it’s the soothing voice.
Same problem with the age of napoleon and the history of pirates (extremely detailed history podcasts). To a lesser extent the red line, the host has the coolest Aussie voice. But the topic of geopolitics/war does keep you awake.

The making of modern Ukraine by Timothy Snyder is basically his entire Yale lecture and also does what it says on the tin.
Also trying humans vs machines now. Mainly about AI.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Green Wing posted:

Fall of civilizations podcast is excellent. After a while the episodes get video to go along with it on YouTube.
And I'd recommend checking out "We're not so different"

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

100YrsofAttitude posted:

What’s this?

À podcast network discussing new academic books in a variety of disciplines

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Itunes used to have a section called "itunes U" where educators could upload their class recordings, and I remember listening to several meteorology and earth science courses back in college

Seems it shut down in 2021, very cool and good

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
Death on the lot, about 1950s Hollywood, has been good up until now. Only 2 episodes atm.
The history of the labor movement and unions was interesting.

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe
Going on a cross-country road trip with my boomer dad. The only podcasts I've ever really been into are Mike Duncan's Revolutions/History of Rome and the Blowback podcast and I enjoyed those. I've got Hardcore History on my list, but I'm looking to get some others for variety. I think my dad would like some history/sports (baseball & football) stuff, but I'm also open to other subjects that a mid-sixties guy might be into.

Neither of us really like discussion/talk radio type shows. Any recs would be appreciated.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

If you think he might like criminal athletes being made fun of, I highly recommend Crime in Sports. If he ever watched pro wrestling, their wrestling episodes are the best. They're amazing even if you never watched, because the stories are just bonkers and the hosts are funny and enthusiastic.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Azathoth posted:

If you think he might like criminal athletes being made fun of, I highly recommend Crime in Sports. If he ever watched pro wrestling, their wrestling episodes are the best. They're amazing even if you never watched, because the stories are just bonkers and the hosts are funny and enthusiastic.

Nthing this. James and Jimmie (the hosts) got me into weird sports stuff despite only having only seen bits of hockey and figure skating in my life. Not podcasts but Jeff Pearlman's books are great too. They are very Jon Bois-y.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
The 30 for 30 podcasts are pretty good.
If he's a big sports guy he might have already watched the docos on ESPN though.

CurvyGoonWife
Jun 12, 2018

~Coxy posted:

The 30 for 30 podcasts are pretty good.
If he's a big sports guy he might have already watched the docos on ESPN though.

Echoing this: Pink Card is awesome and a really good mix of sports and history imo. There’s also a great new season out of a sports show called Counterattack- new season is looking at the formation of the national women’s soccer league - I really enjoyed it. (I may have a bias towards soccer, I’m realizing?)

Slow Burn is extremely well done if you’re into more modern history. They’ve got a season on Roe v Wade that won a bunch of awards, one on the LA Riots, Monica Lewinsky, etc.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I'm enjoying Shattered by the Athletic, which is a history of the Knicks under James Dolan. Good for either laughing at the Knicks or feeling sorry for them depending on your mood.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

CurvyGoonWife posted:

Echoing this: Pink Card is awesome and a really good mix of sports and history imo. There’s also a great new season out of a sports show called Counterattack- new season is looking at the formation of the national women’s soccer league - I really enjoyed it. (I may have a bias towards soccer, I’m realizing?)

Slow Burn is extremely well done if you’re into more modern history. They’ve got a season on Roe v Wade that won a bunch of awards, one on the LA Riots, Monica Lewinsky, etc.

I like all the 30 for 30, but after an episode didn’t get hooked by pink card. Where does it go that I missed out on?

Okua
Oct 30, 2016

Hopping in again to ask if anybody knows a good podcast about professional cycling. What with the Tour de France coming up am so on. The world of sports podcasts is completely unknown to me!

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Okua posted:

Hopping in again to ask if anybody knows a good podcast about professional cycling. What with the Tour de France coming up am so on. The world of sports podcasts is completely unknown to me!

In the past I've listened to The Move and will add it to my feed for the tour this year. It can be really insightful and good, but it has Lance Armstrong which is strongly divisive for a lot of people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
So with Stitcher (my podcast aggregator of choice) shutting down soon, are Spotify, Amazon, Apple, and Google my only options with both apps and websites to allow for easy continued listening across devices? Also do any of those 4 allow for the importing of external RSS feeds for like Patreon content and whatnot?

This makes me so sad. :(