Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Squatch Ambassador posted:

Rip them apart with the chainsword! You can keep mashing the button after they're dead to gib the corpse. Blowing them up with grenades or explosive barrels are the only other options until you get heavy weapons.

Additionally: you can kill them with regular ranged weapons and then gib them with the sword while they're in their death animation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cuc
Nov 25, 2013

A friend's response, not sure how applicable:

quote:

this is the the kind of problem KSP was struggling with since the beginning
they had to do lots of scuffed workarounds (such as transforming the solar system to the player position as origin all the time) and it's still buggy at times
player base has [been] trained to accept and endorse it

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

You are speaking my language.

Christ I wish they'd get officially re-released, though there are definitely some wildly "questionable at best" bits. Jobeth in the mansion level. Most of the female characters when you select them in multiplayer. It's almost a given that they'll say something overly sexual, because haha women = sex, right?

Everything else is fine.

In my eyes TS2 has dated better than Future Perfect, outside of lack of widescreen (this is now fixable playing the GameCube version in Dolphin!). I read a Retro Gamer feature covering the series and some of the developers felt TS2 was the only game they actually felt fitted their original vision, with TS1 being rushed to meet the PS2 launch and Future Perfect hampered somewhat by EA's interfererence. While FP is the most technically advanced, with actual reload animations and some physics stuff, I don't think it's as fun to play because the story missions are more linear and broken up with cutscenes, and lack the additional difficulty-based objectives that GoldenEye, PD and TS2 had. Also I could never get my housemates to move on to playing TS3, they all preferred the music and atmosphere of TS2.

Still the best FPS games of that generation imo

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004
"You got, uhh, Holden Caulfield in there, man?"

cuc posted:

... (such as transforming the solar system to the player position as origin all the time) ...

this is apparently pretty common in gamedev for what it's worth. floating point numbers are always approximations, and that approximation gets worse and worse the farther away from zero you get, which starts to become relevant when you're dealing with large enough scales. i've never played minecraft but apparently their community has observed these behaviours extensively: https://minecraft.fandom.com/wiki/Java_Edition_distance_effects

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Mode 7 posted:

I really like the aesthetics/art design of that Marathon trailer and it's a shame that all of that is getting applied to an extraction shooter I have zero interest in.

It has a really cool look but it doesn't look anything like Marathon.

Mordja posted:

I said it in the other thread but I'd rather they do different games for different races.

Not sure it's been posted here but they're making an Ork car combat game.

I've always wanted a Battlefront/Battlefield game with the different sides being the different factions but that'll never happen.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

It has a really cool look but it doesn't look anything like Marathon.

Yeah. I don't have much nostalgia or affinity for Marathon so that doesn't really bug me, but I'd imagine that's also another layer of off-putting for Marathon fans beyond the 'hey we made an extraction shooter, you all like those, right?" nature of it.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I'm finishing Boltgun at this point. I think someone else said it best, I would be very interested in a second iteration of this game, where the devs could offer a better product with the previous experience of creating this one already under their belts.
This first iteration has a few too many silly flaws here and there.
- The difficulty balance, for example. Why the sixth map of episode 3 has been notably easier than the previous four or five maps?
- I also saw a small issue with the AI: if you engage them at long ranges, when you barely can see their silhouettes, they won't react. edit: I could kill the ancient ambull bost with this cheese in the middle of ep3!

This guy just above my cursor doesn't react when fired upon.

- In some levels, the game ambient lightning/shading makes everything of a color (ie, orange-y), including enemies, so they are hard to see.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 18:07 on May 28, 2023

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Having an OK time with Boltgun. I’m having less issues with the level design than I expected, but more difficulty with the encounters than I expected.

I’ll say this.. this is one of the most disappointing Steam Deck games I’ve played. Frame drops are frequent and severe. I love how “chunky” the gameplay feels but I’m less keen on the “chunky” performance.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I also cheesed the Lord of Change, but by exhausting his minion spawns, which I didn't think was possible until I realized no one else was shooting at me and I could plink him to death from cover. Is that the intended way? It didn't seem possible to get a shot in edgewise while I was also being chased around by seemingly every other enemy type in the game at once

The effect for chaos glop on the walls is really cool and somehow manages to look both eerie and disturbing and a bit hard to look at and also exactly how you'd do that sort of thing in the 90s (other than the use of transparency) so points there

haveblue fucked around with this message at 17:43 on May 28, 2023

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Bumhead posted:

I’ll say this.. this is one of the most disappointing Steam Deck games I’ve played. Frame drops are frequent and severe. I love how “chunky” the gameplay feels but I’m less keen on the “chunky” performance.

It's shockingly bad.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

haveblue posted:

I also cheesed the Lord of Change, but by exhausting his minion spawns, which I didn't think was possible until I realized no one else was shooting at me and I could plink him to death from cover. Is that the intended way? It didn't seem possible to get a shot in edgewise while I was also being chased around by seemingly every other enemy type in the game at once

The effect for chaos glop on the walls is really cool and somehow manages to look both eerie and disturbing and a bit hard to look at and also exactly how you'd do that sort of thing in the 90s (other than the use of transparency) so points there

I killed it on Exterminatus while there were still enemy spawns active--and I didn't actually bother trying to exhaust them, since I wrongly assumed they'd be endless--but the fight was absolutely the hardest thing in the game up until that point. Lots of using the underground areas to run all over the place, frantically gunning down mobs on my way, and popping out somewhere random to fling a grenade and/or take 4 or 5 plasma rifle shots at the Lord of Change.

EDIT: It's kind of interesting how the beginning of the second chapter pits you against enemies that have significantly higher defensive values (like a Terminator, the Plague Drones, etc.) than your available weapon(s). It becomes more obvious how important it can be to pick a weapon with an appropriate STR stat (at least on higher difficulties?) but it's weird that you don't really encounter this situation until the beginning of Chapter 2.

In Chapter 1, the STR buff power-up is usually pretty easy to find, and since I had a boltgun in my hand most of the time, I ended up playing most of the levels with a STR buffed boltgun that could handle basically every enemy you encounter in the chapter. I don't think I really paid attention to the STR / DEF system until Chapter 2 as a result.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 18:05 on May 28, 2023

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

haveblue posted:

No encounter with him have infinite enemies, so yes, most of the times I killed him that way.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I know it's come up before but I wish Boltgun distributed resources differently because there's way too many 2 hp/armor pickups and not enough big ones. I wish there was an in between for like, 2hp and 100. They seem to want you to sustain damage from the health and armor that drops off enemies but unlike nuDoom it doesn't vacuum them up so it's annoying to pick up these little nickel and dime pickups especially while in the middle of a fight. The rest is just in like two places where there's a little cache of 200 hp and armor. Also I agree that it's all distributed weird where there's tons of health and ammo for every hallway in the game where I can walk through two hallways fighting a couple blue horrors and get like 12 grenades and 1000 health and armor that I can't pick up but then the next big arena fight has like half that, maybe.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I’m also pretty sure that unlike Doom chainsword kills don’t grant iframes so that just makes it that much less viable during big fights

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I just figured out that Boltgun's plasma rifle has an overheat mechanic wherein, after six or seven consecutive shots in a short period of time, the weapon starts firing faster and also causing minor damage to the player.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
reading y'all's critiques of Prodeus and now Boltgun has me slightly terrified but if you play Slayers X please don't hold back because this kind of criticism would help me a whole bunch. I'll likely work on an update to coincide with the Switch/PS launch in a few months with an additional map and a few goodies so that'll be my chance to go in and revamp things

edit: we've done lots of testing and iteration already of course but you don't really see certain things until it's out and everyone's playing it

Gaspy Conana fucked around with this message at 19:30 on May 28, 2023

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Milo and POTUS posted:

Off topic how did you get that quote within quote it looks nice. Maybe it's always been like that and I've never been quoted quoting someone

Manually. :shrug:

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Has anyone had any luck running Boltgun under Linux with Steam/Proton? For me it crashes instantly when trying to run it under Linux and I have to reboot into Windows to play it (fortunately I installed it to an NTFS partition so I didn't have to install it again).

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Gaspy Conana posted:

reading y'all's critiques of Prodeus and now Boltgun has me slightly terrified but if you play Slayers X please don't hold back because this kind of criticism would help me a whole bunch. I'll likely work on an update to coincide with the Switch/PS launch in a few months with an additional map and a few goodies so that'll be my chance to go in and revamp things

edit: we've done lots of testing and iteration already of course but you don't really see certain things until it's out and everyone's playing it

Don't let these grumps scare you, all of those games still own in their own ways but they're not without flaws.
That isn't to say that they're even bad games!

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Finally finished Back To Saturn X episode 2 last night, that was a lot of fun. Eagerly anticipating the next one, whenever it comes out. These are friggin' huge mapsets (and maps) though, so I know it'll probably still be a while.

I like how they did a de-facto Icon Of Sin type battle in the last map. Really creative usage of textures there and all around. (Apparently I missed a huge secret area earlier in the map that had like 6 spider masterminds though, haha.)

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Glagha posted:

I know it's come up before but I wish Boltgun distributed resources differently because there's way too many 2 hp/armor pickups and not enough big ones. I wish there was an in between for like, 2hp and 100.

Those are funny to me because they are clearly 'member?'. As in, "remember in old school shooters where you picked little pieces of armor and health vials? good times!".
Except, they went totally overboard with them, in no Doom level they are so abundant. They put long rows with the just because it's cool to pick them up that way and reinforces the boomer shooter identity.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

For sure the little bits and doodads of +2 health and contempt are annoying, especially at higher difficulties where health and contempt slough off in fights at a precipitous rate so you'd have to spend a couple of minutes hoovering up ten million of them to go back to buying yourself a few seconds of damage absorption.

I felt somewhat similarly with DOOM ETERNAL, but at least D:E had mechanics to force it out of enemies like pinatas.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
The little skull rear end in a top hat should float around and grab them for you, actually lend a hand for once

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

https://twitter.com/SepkoSfm/status/1662832161911881729?t=cGRpjuxDDkkb-5V-0aFQdg&s=19

YouTube version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wh_emqtH5s

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
My dream WH40k game, very relevant to this thread, is a Doom TC that basically adapts The Last Stand into a Skulltag-style survival mode where all of the enemies are unique 40k units and you're playing as your own unique 40k class, mulching through the hordes with some buddies.

I had sketched out some preliminary ideas for it back in the day, but I'm the last person to put in charge of a big project and I still don't know poo poo about Doom modding.

Non-zero odds I would've ran afoul of GW at some point anyway.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Gotta say, the first Boltgun boss is one of the most miserable experiences I’ve had in a game in a while.

This game has a fun aesthetic and the titular weapon (and heavy variant) feel great. Other than that, I’m struggling with this one.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I didn't find the boss that hard, all you really have to do is break LoS when he lights up purple :shrug:.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I got through the first two episodes of HROT and that poo poo is what I’m fuckin’ talking about. Really fantastic stuff and I think the palette is used masterfully. It is a truly unsettling game for me.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

skasion posted:

Bold bit improves somewhat in ep2, at least

Yeah, wow. It's like you hit a point and it suddenly decides to be a videogame.

Woolie Wool posted:

I didn't find the boss that hard, all you really have to do is break LoS when he lights up purple :shrug:.

The Lord of Change? I've not noticed him "lighting up purple". I spent some time looking for a tell, too. As far as I could see, he'd just end his fireball attack, pause for maybe two seconds, and then I'd be eating a shittonne of damage. There is a purple screen that's applied when the attack is ongoing (even when you've broken LoS, interesting), but that's a) too late and b) is extremely subtle- I didn't notice it at all until the third time one of them showed up. I did not notice it when I was actively looking for it. There's a lot going on in these fights, visually.

Does anyone know what the machine spirit power up does for each weapon? I've had it on the bolter (higher mag capacity), the shotgun (projectiles bounce off walls, I think) and the heavy bolter (??? things might have been dying faster?)

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
The only thing that lights up purple is me, when I get hit. It needs to be a much more obvious tell — there’s no mistaking when an Arch-Vile is about to get you.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Gaspy Conana posted:

I played the beta that's available and had a lot of fun, will definitely be getting it.

Haven't played Boltgun so can't compare, but Slayers X level design has had lots of interesting nooks and crannies to explore. Also took a bunch of screenshots for friends as it was genuinely making me laugh, including this emotional storybeat:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I watched pagb's videos on the first couple levels of slayers, and although the intro cutscene was amusing I genuinely couldn't tell if the game actually thinks its humor is funny or if it's supposed to be satire, but either way I know I can't do a whole game of that

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

The Lord of Change? I've not noticed him "lighting up purple". I spent some time looking for a tell, too. As far as I could see, he'd just end his fireball attack, pause for maybe two seconds, and then I'd be eating a shittonne of damage. There is a purple screen that's applied when the attack is ongoing (even when you've broken LoS, interesting), but that's a) too late and b) is extremely subtle- I didn't notice it at all until the third time one of them showed up. I did not notice it when I was actively looking for it. There's a lot going on in these fights, visually.

No, there's a purple (I think?) light that plays around the Sorcerer when he's charging his LoS beam attack, if you run away when you see it, you're basically good as his other attacks are fairly easy to dodge.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Woolie Wool posted:

Has anyone had any luck running Boltgun under Linux with Steam/Proton? For me it crashes instantly when trying to run it under Linux and I have to reboot into Windows to play it (fortunately I installed it to an NTFS partition so I didn't have to install it again).
Nope, launches to a black screen for a while then gets a tiny popup saying "UE4: Fatal Error!". Both on Wine 8.0, and Proton 7&8. Shame.

haveblue posted:

I’m also pretty sure that unlike Doom chainsword kills don’t grant iframes so that just makes it that much less viable during big fights
Heyyy, finally got someone to rub two neurons together on that one, thank christ.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
The lack of I-frames and the uncomfortable mashing to keep applying damage means I mostly just used it as a mobility tool.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Woolie Wool posted:

Has anyone had any luck running Boltgun under Linux with Steam/Proton?
Except for the cutscene.videos it works out of the box on the Deck.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Except for the cutscene.videos it works out of the box on the Deck.

I wonder if this is nVidia's fault, like nearly every other problem I have under Linux.

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh
I like Boltgun so far, but I don't know how they missed some things. Like not only are the damage indicators the same no matter how much damage you take, but enemy melee attacks don't seem to make any sound. If an Aspiring Champion just bumps into me I silently take a bunch of damage without even realizing it. There's also no sound when I pick up a weapon that I already have for ammo.

It would also be nice if the flying skull's dialog was logged somewhere because he inevitably says something right when a battle starts and I miss it.

On the plus side I was surprised that void grenades work on bosses too as long as they don't teleport out in the middle of it.
The plasma gun's splash damage also seems to stop affecting me when my health was super low.

You can also get rid of the intro videos by moving/deleting them from Steam\steamapps\common\Boltgun\Boltgun\Content\Movies

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Pretty much nothing the servo skull says is useful anyway so you're not missing much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I finished Boltgun yesterday. The final fight was hectic as heck, I needed 4 tries to beat it.
Episode 3 really showed how it needed a pair more of enemies, the last levels it felt like it was retreading ground.

As I highlighted enough the flaws of the game, I will say that they did a great job with the controls and movement, and it has one of the best weapon arsenals in a shooter that I have tried in... at least five years. Really solid.