Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Yeah the OG Planescape boxed sets were honestly not that great in terms of actual gameplay content. I honestly think DiTerlizzi's art, the extremely 90s Exocet font, and vibes carried 90% of the setting's sales.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

whydirt posted:

Yeah the OG Planescape boxed sets were honestly not that great in terms of actual gameplay content. I honestly think DiTerlizzi's art, the extremely 90s Exocet font, and vibes carried 90% of the setting's sales.

And it was freaking great

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I said it before in the thread, but if this book is nothing more than a vehicle for more DiTerlizzi art of the setting, it'll be a net good no matter how much they may blunder anything else.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
A hardcover RPG manual is a luxury product and should be spiced up to the nines with art, flavorful page layouts and excessive poo poo nobody could ever even think to ask for.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Hra Mormo posted:

A hardcover RPG manual is a luxury product and should be spiced up to the nines with art, flavorful page layouts and excessive poo poo nobody could ever even think to ask for.
Yeah, haven't they just announced their next round of hardbacks will be $60 each or something insane? For that money the interior had better be waaaaaay beyond what someone could knock up on their own in InDesign with some AI art.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Hra Mormo posted:

That implies however a cheaper paperback edition, which I don't think they've done since advanced.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

That implies however a cheaper paperback edition, which I don't think they've done since advanced.

The probably recognize that most people use beyond, or just :filez: even at the table now.

and Beyond is generally like 30 bucks for the book online.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The 4e compendium paperback is p good.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Payndz posted:

Yeah, haven't they just announced their next round of hardbacks will be $60 each or something insane? For that money the interior had better be waaaaaay beyond what someone could knock up on their own in InDesign with some AI art.

Don't be silly, it's just $60 during the prerelease window. After that it's $70.

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

Art of the Hive Ward and an article about the upcoming stuff including Planescape.

https://www.polygon.com/23736642/dnd-dungeons-dragons-phandelver-planescape-deck-of-many-things-release-date-price

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

This is so cool.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

love to see a kenku in any art. They're just little guys.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Yusin posted:

Art of the Hive Ward and an article about the upcoming stuff including Planescape.

https://www.polygon.com/23736642/dnd-dungeons-dragons-phandelver-planescape-deck-of-many-things-release-date-price

This looks more Kill Six Billion Demons than I would have expected but this is not a complaint by any stretch of the imagination

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I didn't think I'd be down for quasi-cyberpunk Sigil but it turns out I am

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

I think a Demodand is on the art. Been a while since they have been in the game.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Happiness is being a yeti with 2 ice cream cones

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Reveilled posted:

in contrast wow i fuckin hate that

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Reveilled posted:

Kamigawa was right there for fantasy cyberpunk.

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

I don稚 think it looks too punkish, just a market in the Hive. Which I think looks right. I admire that Pit Fiend for abandoning Hell to open up a BBQ.

Ashheap Empire
Jul 22, 2000

Kings taste terrible at best
and rest in peace raw
The rest are recipes
*CAAAWWWW*

Yusin posted:

I like that they're swinging for the fences here. I like less that its about as far from Diterlizzi's style and zorn color palette as they could possibly have made it.

Arivia posted:

in contrast wow i fuckin hate that

Yeah, same

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

More Mind Flayer chefs please

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Yusin posted:

It's a nice bit of art. Lots of varied people going about their lives, with a few people taking advantage of personal talents to make an honest coin.

I'm interested in seeing more.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Ashheap Empire posted:

I like that they're swinging for the fences here. I like less that its about as far from Diterlizzi's style and zorn color palette as they could possibly have made it.

Yeah, same

It feels like it should be in a Shadowrun book, doesn't fit Planescape's vibe at all. All it needs is a decker in mirrorshades.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
Could've done without the neon.

That one outhouse-like building seems to literally be just a tentacle shop. Some kind of massage parlor, perhaps.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Just picked up 5e material after my wife showed interest after watching the movie. Haven't played since 3.5. They really seem to have made effort to cut back on power creep, wow. Armor seems useful! 20 AC actually seems to mean something.

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 12:17 on May 28, 2023

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
The only thing I don't like about the art is that it seems to have too few building spikes, razorvine and weird, otherwordly architecture to be instantly recognizable as Sigil. If you told me this was some other Monster Manual-positive fantasy city, I'd not have thought differently for a moment.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Just picked up 5e material after my wife showed interest after watching the movie. Haven't played since 3.5. They really seem to have made effort to cut back on power creep, wow. Armor seems useful! 20 AC actually seems to mean something.

i played waaaay back as a kid with some used ad&d 2nd books and eventually switched to 3.5 as a young man in the mid 2000s. i didnt love the complexity of 3.5 and then 4e completely killed my enthusiasm. i'm back over 15 years later now and loving 5e. it's really good

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Yeah, I played 2nd in high school, missed everything else, and have now played in two 5e campaigns very readily. Sometimes I'd prank my compatriots by explaining THAC0 to them.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah, I played 2nd in high school, missed everything else, and have now played in two 5e campaigns very readily. Sometimes I'd prank my compatriots by explaining THAC0 to them.

I played a sort of pre-1 in college - it was a homebrew system made up by the DM roughly based on the Original edition, but flavored with some 1e (which had just come out) and Chainmail.

I got back in with 5e playing with my kids. I'm kind of meh on it. I don't like the emphasis on character development instead of the story/adventure, and the general video game-y feel of it, but it's fun nonetheless.

I'm going to DM them through ToEE using 1e rules as our next adventure. It will be interesting to see how they handle it.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I知 rolling a swashbuckler rogue to drop into a campaign starting at level 7 because someone got half the party killed, and I don稚 know if I wanna:

Get my hands on booming blade and be a tremendously annoying hit and run rear end in a top hat

Do that but also take a single level of fighter for duelist to be a more accurate tremendously annoying hit and run rear end in a top hat

Forget booming blade and do a single level of fighter for two weapon fighting to be a regularly annoying hit and run rear end in a top hat who can hit and run up to two things at a time

Thoughts? I知 leaning towards the second option because giving up my bonus action for a second attack feels pretty heavy but I can always choose not to do that depending on the situation, so I知 torn.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

History Comes Inside! posted:

I知 rolling a swashbuckler rogue to drop into a campaign starting at level 7 because someone got half the party killed, and I don稚 know if I wanna:

Get my hands on booming blade and be a tremendously annoying hit and run rear end in a top hat

Do that but also take a single level of fighter for duelist to be a more accurate tremendously annoying hit and run rear end in a top hat

Forget booming blade and do a single level of fighter for two weapon fighting to be a regularly annoying hit and run rear end in a top hat who can hit and run up to two things at a time

Thoughts? I知 leaning towards the second option because giving up my bonus action for a second attack feels pretty heavy but I can always choose not to do that depending on the situation, so I知 torn.

talk to the rest of the party and see what fits their plans?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

The swashbuckler is already being made to fit their plans, we need martials and a face and I知 checking those boxes.

This is just trying to nail down how the character plays, because I知 not sure which option I like the most.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

Yusin posted:

if they pull this off, it'll be a really good toolset for the game. that goes a really long way especially for a less uh tenured audience. it's been a while since anything 5e was a good idea so i'm looking forward to seeing how it undermines its own ideas

edit: i don't know anything about planescape and based on the idea that "it's the big city in the middle of realities" i think the art is fine. there's a knife wife or something in sigil? also isn't sigil the name of the big city in erbberon

Ominous Jazz fucked around with this message at 00:06 on May 29, 2023

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Booming blade sounds annoying to deal with.

Go for option two, and channel Puss in Boots. Do an Antonio Banderez impression when you roleplay.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

there are a bunch of opportunities to join factions in LMoP. i'm getting to the point where the pcs are about to go to cragmaw castle so those opportunities are coming up in the book. where can i read more about what it means to be apart of this faction and stuff? is it all in the sword coast sourcebook or? i don't want to give this to my pcs and then it never comes up again lol

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Wasn't that an organized play hook that got abandoned?

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

there are a bunch of opportunities to join factions in LMoP. i'm getting to the point where the pcs are about to go to cragmaw castle so those opportunities are coming up in the book. where can i read more about what it means to be apart of this faction and stuff? is it all in the sword coast sourcebook or? i don't want to give this to my pcs and then it never comes up again lol

They are mentioned in the basic rules here.

https://www.dndbeyond.com/sources/basic-rules/appendix-c-the-five-factions

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

Ominous Jazz posted:

edit: i don't know anything about planescape and based on the idea that "it's the big city in the middle of realities" i think the art is fine. there's a knife wife or something in sigil? also isn't sigil the name of the big city in erbberon

For fun I will do a little synopsis of the setting later.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

History Comes Inside! posted:

The swashbuckler is already being made to fit their plans, we need martials and a face and I知 checking those boxes.

This is just trying to nail down how the character plays, because I知 not sure which option I like the most.

Every time I try to make a swashbuckler I want to add 3 levels of Fighter for Battlemaster maneuvers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Wife made her character last night (wood elf Druid) and I made a human Fighter companion for her. Really excited to have this new shared connection with her! Here's some minis I made of them: