Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

probably taste a bit sour? or “goaty” if you know what i mean

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

As a couple of teachers have manifested ITT, I was wondering:

My great-niece is 7 ...
Any advice (PM or 'out loud') greatly welcomed.

It's very unusual now for a child to change year groups. When it does happen, it tends to be where a child has special needs and it's felt that them being able to re-do a year (often either Nursery or Reception) is going to let them develop to the point where they could more reasonably cope with the demands of more formal education. I can't think of a state primary school that would actually let a child move to a higher year group, for a couple of reasons:

1) Everything at schools is much more rigorously-controlled than it was even 15 years ago. A child skipping a year of education is going to have a lot of catching-up to do. I'm not a teacher, but I'm in schools a lot of the time and most subject learning seems built on previous learning, so what a child learns in Maths in Year 2 is built on in Year 3; so if you miss anything, you might struggle to catch up. And there really isn't the staffing to give children the opportunity to catch up - 'floating Teaching Assistants' are basically a thing of the past thanks to Tory austerity. Hell, even the children with special needs barely get the support they're legally entitled to most of the time.
[edit]
Also, Year 6 SATs are very important to schools, so they'll be looking to squeeze every bit of value-added from a child they can. Skipping a year does not add value for a school.

2) It can isolate a child from their peers. In primary school, because children spend so little time mixing with other classes (maybe for phonics, or if they're in interventions for Maths/English), they often don't know many children in other classes. Moving them up a year forces them to make new friends - which can be hard - and doing that at a time when their learning is suddenly much harder than they're used to could have a negative impact on their emotional well-being. This is arguably even more of an issue now with the Govt forcing schools to become academies and smaller schools merging.

3) Schools are supposed to have programmes/systems in place to support 'gifted' children. So why would a child need to be moved class when they can just access the gifted children programme*.

And actually, at the risk of sounding harsh, a lot of children do quite well in Key Stage 1 and then settle down in Key Stage 2 (7-11 years old) because the kind of learning is less rote and more analytical. She may get more out of her education as she gets older and the learning gets harder (for wont of a better word).

* - budgets permitting

kingturnip fucked around with this message at 13:00 on May 28, 2023

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Also it makes you the youngest in the class by a margin.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Greatest Of All Time. Originating from US sports and rap contexts. The ice cream was not made of Goat
Good example of slang inverting meanings too.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Audrey Hepburn was born in Brussels.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
So was Pierre Daye. In conclusion, Brussels is a land of contacts.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

That's not a native of the Belgian Congo.... he still has hands.

(Never forget the obscenities committed by a small European country upon the innocent).

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Personally, I would bump her up a year (which is what happened to me back in the distant past - I never did 'year 6' - straight from 'year 5' to 'year 7' due to parents moving it was kind of slipped in there) but I don't think state schools will do that now.

I did the same but it involved aceing the entrance exam to a private school (yes, wall) and going on a full scholarship (still wall but maybe less so?), don't think the local secondary comp would have taken me at (barely) ten years old without a lot of struggle.

My tiny village primary school was quite salty about it as they didn't to drag the class average up with my SATS scores.

Fun to tell people I left school at 16 (with A Levels) though.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Guavanaut posted:

Good example of slang inverting meanings too.

I didn't know words could evolve to eventually mean the opposite! That is sick.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

I'm struggling to conjure a belgian visual sterotype at all tbh.

Six-foot four and full of muscles

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Microplastics posted:

Really toeing the line.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Microplastics posted:

'radical islam' still conjures ninjahero turtles for me tbh

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Wes wants the plebes out in the fields picking vegetables

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

smellmycheese posted:

Didn't they try that in the pandemic and no-one wanted to do the work?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Today my dad (retired police officer) announced that the videos showing that police van following those two boys on a bike have been doctored.

When asked who has reported this, he explained that nobody has, it's just him, it's obvious they're fake to him.

When asked how the police - who have rather more resources than he does, including probably a lot of experts on fake footage - haven't noticed this, he explained that the police are busy.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Busy chasing kids to their deaths.

smellmycheese posted:

Yes, all the 55 year olds who took early retirement want to work picking vegetables Wes, you chode. Stay away from children's genitals.

Also maybe don't blindly accept the racist premise? When you come out with something like "the real reason the Jews secretly control the world" then you've ceded ground to the racists.

(But he knows that anyway. BNP haircut oval office.)

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Wes Streeting, the ARG for the new Annabelle / Conjuring cinematic universe film about a haunted ventriloquist doll who does massive shits in McDonalds.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Guavanaut posted:

Busy chasing kids to their deaths.

Yes, all the 55 year olds who took early retirement want to work picking vegetables Wes, you chode. Stay away from children's genitals.

Also maybe don't blindly accept the racist premise? When you come out with something like "the real reason the Jews secretly control the world" then you've ceded ground to the racists.

(But he knows that anyway. BNP haircut oval office.)

Speaking as an over 63 year old with a lot of leg pain (muscle adhesions - not arthritis) & a creaky bad back, there is no way on this planet I could do that for more than a couple of hours a week. Bad enough last week when we had a 'clean up the office' day & my back was killing me for 2 days after that. My 20 years younger line manager doesn't get it. She wrote 'sore hip' on my annual review LOL. "She'll come to want" as my old granny used to say.

On the other hand, I did my turn picking potatoes for days on end as a 13-14 year old when in the school summer holidays our parents would drive up to the nearest farm and dump us outside to pick potatoes all day with the other kids. 6x 50lb sacks a day. Probably why I've got a creaky back now. And we got paid 20p or 30p for the whole day. Riches beyond the dreams of avarice.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If only there were a political position which was opposed to exploiting and underpaying overseas labour.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

As a couple of teachers have manifested ITT, I was wondering:

My great-niece is 7 and is top of absolutely everything (sports, maths, art, English, Welsh, 'being kind', dancing, the lot) at her primary school & brimming with confidence. Apparently she marched into a local pub the other day asking for a cocktail - they gave her a mocktail. (parents & grand-parents were sitting outside).

Initially, the teachers were giving her certificates (you know, as primary kids get certificates for just about everything) and now the teachers have stopped even giving her "3rd place" certificates (as an adult I understand why, other kids need an incentive!) and she's obviously getting disappointed and doesn't really understand why when she is clearly streets ahead of the rest. (She's an only child too and while there have been a lot of difficulties - her mother has all sorts of medical problems, her father sees her once a fortnight but is reasonably hands-on)

IMHO if this carries on, I can see her becoming an extremely disgruntled disruptive child within a couple of years and to try to forestall her ending up at 14 years old skiving school, dressed in EMO gear (not that there's anything wrong with that, but just now she's all into pretty frocks & makeup which she does herself - mother is a makeup artist) swigging vodka from brown paper bags, I'm wondering how her mother should handle it now.

Personally, I would bump her up a year (which is what happened to me back in the distant past - I never did 'year 6' - straight from 'year 5' to 'year 7' due to parents moving it was kind of slipped in there) but I don't think state schools will do that now.

Any advice (PM or 'out loud') greatly welcomed.

I got bumped up a year in primary school.

When it came time for secondary, they told me I was too young, so I had to do the last year of primary again, with the kids who'd been a year below me. It was torture. Pretty sure this was when I gave up entirely on school.

(Though this was decades ago and I bet it's not allowed now.)

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
clapclap times for people who pick fruit yes and ho

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

The Question IRL posted:

No, not quite a Magnum. A Magnum has very thick chocolate coating that you have to bite through. And when you do, the chocolate often breaks in segments like glass. It's a very satisfying experience but it means that you can intend on biting the chocolate to get at the ice cream, and be stuck eating a larger than expected chocolate segment that when you are done with the ice cream underneath starts to melt.

This chocolate covering on the 99 was so britle and fragile that you'd bite through it and keep on going until you hit delicious soft serve ice cream.
Would recommend.

McDonalds in Asia do this. It's called a Chocotop and it's divine. Cover a soft serve cone in chocolate sauce that freezes into a thin shell.

Hell Island McDonalds on the other hand can't even seem to manage a simple chocolate Sunday without sprinkling in some additional Cadbury branded shite, a plastic spoon and some brown liquid claiming to be chocolate sauce.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

If only there were a political position which was opposed to exploiting and underpaying overseas labour.
I was just thinking that, I'd love to hear someone piint out that the best way to get people back into work is to strenghthen protections over working conditions so you don't have a oval office boss shouting at you over nothing, and the best way to do that is with unions. You're the loving Labour party Wes. It's not called that because of mpreg fantasies.

Wait no fuctifino do not put that into stable diffusion, DO N

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Teddy's is GOAT, if you're going to Dun Laoghaire and not getting one of those what are you even doing. Also, Dun Laoghaire is a bit of a kip.

Separately, I laughed at least 4 different elements of this map

https://twitter.com/NoContextBrits/status/1662753610898317312?t=ZOIcTMdfzirdryB-cLbrbg&s=19
Tensions in the Balkans are still running high I see.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

A lot of youth in this thread that don’t remember the 80s when we had proper chcolafe that froze when you put it on an ice cream

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

We still have that but it’s not as good as it was when I was a child

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

History Comes Inside! posted:

We still have that but it’s not as good as it was when I was a child
90% of facebook posts.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
If Nutella ever makes a liquid version of itself.....

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.
It's just chocolate and coconut oil, make it at home and bring it with you everywhere in a tiny squeeze bottle in a holster on your belt to top your own ice cream, a perfectly sensible solution.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

happyhippy posted:

If Nutella ever makes a liquid version of itself.....

Nutella with added *checks notes* heat

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I feel like I barely remember my time at school but I can still read and do long division so I suppose something must have stuck. I do recall one teacher liked to say that "these are the best days of your life" and while I was suspicious of that at the time it was only once I left school that I could appreciate what an idiot he was.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

The only long division I know is the song by Fugazi.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Plans for supermarket price cap on basic food
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-65736944

quote:

The government is discussing plans for supermarkets to introduce a cap on the price of basic food items to help tackle the rising cost of living.

A voluntary agreement with major retailers could see price reductions on basic food items like bread and milk.

Downing Street sources have stressed that there are no plans for a mandatory price cap.

The idea of a cap or freeze on basic food items, as first reported by the Daily Telegraph, is said to be at the "drawing board stage".

Supermarkets are expected to be allowed to select which items they would cap and only take part in the initiative, modelled on a similar agreement in France, on a voluntary basis.

:argh: COMMUNISM

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

big scary monsters posted:

I feel like I barely remember my time at school but I can still read and do long division so I suppose something must have stuck. I do recall one teacher liked to say that "these are the best days of your life" and while I was suspicious of that at the time it was only once I left school that I could appreciate what an idiot he was.
When I was young my grandmother told me “don’t let anybody tell you these are your golden years; they’re gold-plated” and I think about that a lot

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I was just thinking that, I'd love to hear someone piint out that the best way to get people back into work is to strenghthen protections over working conditions so you don't have a oval office boss shouting at you over nothing, and the best way to do that is with unions. You're the loving Labour party Wes. It's not called that because of mpreg fantasies.

Wait no fuctifino do not put that into stable diffusion, DO N

I presume at some point he should, in that article, suggest a solution but given the party absolutely will not accept anything remotely anticapitalist I don't think I want to know what it is.

The low wages and exploitation are a necessary component of the system, you can't have both free market liberalism and improving pay and conditions.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Microplastics posted:

Maybe some coupons to exchange for these foodstuffs to ensure everyone gets their fair share? It would only be rational.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
NuLabour really aren't going to be any better than the Tories are they:

https://twitter.com/SaulStaniforth/status/1662735046195789829?s=20

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Jel Shaker posted:

probably taste a bit sour? or “goaty” if you know what i mean

goatsy

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

On the one hand, he's not wrong, it does need reforming.

On the other hand I can trust them about as far as I can throw them, and considering my hands are now so hosed even the government admits I'm disabled, that's not very far.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

no onion ring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Microplastics posted:

Nationalised sausages when?