Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Shooting Blanks posted:

Another dodge. Are you sure you aren't a GOP plant in here?

I provided 2 examples of historical precedent. Please kindly argue against it instead of accusing me of bad faith posting. I’m sure mods will take swift action here for this clear violation of rule B.1

Meatball posted:

Since the dems decided that getting rid of the debt ceiling wasn't important when we "blue no matter who"'d them into full control of the government, this was always going to happen. I wonder what the Republicans will demand next time.

I know this is where you are going but it needs to be explicitly stated: Dems have the same interest as republicans which is why they didn’t do anything during the 2 years they were in full power. That’s not even going into when Obama had a super majority.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

I know this is where you are going but it needs to be explicitly stated: Dems have the same interest as republicans which is why they didn’t do anything during the 2 years they were in full power. That’s not even going into when Obama had a super majority.

I mean, you were going to say this no matter what happened. The IIJA and Inflation Reduction Act were never going to count because it would hurt your worldview.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Shooting Blanks posted:

Another dodge. Are you sure you aren't a GOP plant in here?

Violating rule I.C.U.P. User loses posting privileges for 6 hours.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

I provided 2 examples of historical precedent. Please kindly argue against it instead of accusing me of bad faith posting. I’m sure mods will take swift action here for this clear violation of rule B.1

I asked you to describe it. You failed to do that. Please put into your own words what those things mean. If you think oblique references (including one partly in Latin!) count then you'll lose.

Shooting Blanks fucked around with this message at 13:38 on May 28, 2023

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Shooting Blanks posted:

I asked you to describe it. You failed to do that. Please put into your own words what those things mean. If you thing oblique references (including one partly in Latin!) count then you'll lose.

You accused me of being a republican plant. I don’t see the value in engaging with you further if you are jumping out the gate to accuse me of posting in bad faith when I have provided the information you requested.

Mooseontheloose posted:

I mean, you were going to say this no matter what happened. The IIJA and Inflation Reduction Act were never going to count because it would hurt your worldview.

Those stopped the debt ceiling nonsense? Someone should inform Biden. Maybe someone is and it’s just lost in the shuffle along with BBB.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

loling at the accusation of using Latin to obfuscate a request to cite legal precedents

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

You accused me of being a republican plant. I don’t see the value in engaging with you further if you are jumping out the gate to accuse me of posting in bad faith when I have provided the information you requested.

I asked you multiple times to provide details first. You never did. You still haven't. Thanks for gaslighting.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
'Republican plant' is weird language but I suppose 'Russian plant' is played out now.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Those stopped the debt ceiling nonsense? Someone should inform Biden. Maybe someone is and it’s just lost in the shuffle along with BBB.

That's not what you said, you said the Democrats were never going to do anything.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Mooseontheloose posted:

That's not what you said, you said the Democrats were never going to do anything.

Yes. About the debt ceiling. The context of the conversation. I was even responding to a post specifically referencing as much.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Yes. About the debt ceiling. The context of the conversation. I was even responding to a post specifically referencing as much.

My bad then.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

No harm no foul.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Shooting Blanks posted:

The delay is a problem. How long would it take to be fast tracked to SCOTUS? Absolute best case scenario, we're talking about months. That still fucks over every single person in the US. It's a bad solution.

If the other option is the markets crashing, I suspect that they'd clear their docket overnight. That said, it'd be in response to challenging the Executive ordering the Treasury to ignore Congress, so in theory it would at least see government employees, the military, and veterans still getting paid.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Liquid Communism posted:

If the other option is the markets crashing, I suspect that they'd clear their docket overnight. That said, it'd be in response to challenging the Executive ordering the Treasury to ignore Congress, so in theory it would at least see government employees, the military, and veterans still getting paid.

That's not a bet I want to make

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Twincityhacker posted:

>>> "Vote blue no matter who"

Had a few more people done that, we would literally not be in this situation right now because the House would be in the Democrats hands and there would be no debt ceiling crisis and no talk of spending caps.
This is false. Biden literally had the chance to repeal the debt ceiling permanently, but he didn't want to. Biden wants the debt ceiling to exist, even though its only function is to allow Republicans to extract concencessions in exchange for not destabilizing the economy. Almost like he thinks that's a good thing or something.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Shooting Blanks posted:

That's not a bet I want to make

It's one that's going to come eventually. When's a better time for you, or is it too inconvenient and needs to be kicked down the road to be the next generation's issue?

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

What happened in here lol

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
I doubt he wants it to exist for nefarious purposes or killing poor people and making his corporate overlords money as people here seem to be asserting and more that it’s the usual political jockeying and calculus of “if we do this then it’ll look bad for when we try to get re-elected because we’ll be the party of debt!”
Always afraid to do something the other side might try to make an issue out of rather than doing things that people would like and would get them voted, that’s damming enough for how the democrats run things

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Liquid Communism posted:

It's one that's going to come eventually. When's a better time for you, or is it too inconvenient and needs to be kicked down the road to be the next generation's issue?

I'm 3 months from being homeless, ask me again when it's a better time for me. It's lovely when people who have don't listen to those who don't.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Shooting Blanks posted:

I'm 3 months from being homeless, ask me again when it's a better time for me. It's lovely when people who have don't listen to those who don't.
More work requirements for SNAP doesn't help people in desperate situations, either.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

cat botherer posted:

More work requirements for SNAP doesn't help people in desperate situations, either.

I don't use SNAP. And I haven't advocated for or against the program, but basic food should be free in this country, we can afford it.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Staluigi posted:

Several years of the moderators not enforcing the rules.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Shooting Blanks posted:

I don't use SNAP. And I haven't advocated for or against the program, but basic food should be free in this country, we can afford it.
We sure can, but increasing barriers to things like SNAP moves us in the opposite direction.

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

Thank god we avoided them shooting the hostage, all we had to do was let them maim the hostage and also not release them.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Republicans get to cut taxes for the rich and blow up the deficit when in power. When not in power Republicans get to extract concessions from democrats using an entirely fabricated series of debt crises. They can't legislate, so they get the Democrats to do it for them.

What it all boils down to is whether or not we avoided the worst case scenario via this specific action. All of the accusations of bad faith posting are misplaced. People can reasonably disagree about what would have happened if no deal had been reached.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Honestly the next time we hit the "limit" and the treasury goes to its measures, Biden if president should invoke the 14th amendment then and there and say "you don't like it, do the courts." That would give enough time for any case to be heard

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

AtomikKrab posted:

Honestly the next time we hit the "limit" and the treasury goes to its measures, Biden if president should invoke the 14th amendment then and there and say "you don't like it, do the courts." That would give enough time for any case to be heard
Biden wants the debt ceiling to stay. He has said as much. The 14th will never be invoked.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

I was trying to find when work requirements for SNAP recipients were enacted & I had no idea it's been almost 30 years:

quote:

The mid-1990s was a period of welfare reform. Many states had waivers of the rules for the cash welfare program, Aid to Families with Dependent Children (AFDC) before major welfare reform legislation was enacted in 1996. The Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunities Reconciliation Act of 1996 (PRWORA) (PL 104-193) removed the entitlement of recipients to AFDC and replaced that with a new block grant to states called Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF).

Although the FSP was reauthorized in the Federal Agriculture Improvement and Reform Act (PL 104-127), also known as the 1996 Farm Bill, major changes to the program were enacted through PRWORA. Among them were:

* Eliminated eligibility of most legal immigrants for food stamps;

* Placed a time limit on food stamp receipt of three out of 36 months for able-bodied adults without dependents (ABAWDs) who are not working at least 20 hours a week or participating in a work program;

* Reduced the maximum allotments by setting them at 100 percent of the change in the Thrifty Food Plan (TFP) from 103 percent of the change in the TFP;

* Froze the standard deduction, the vehicle limit, and the minimum benefit;

* Set the shelter cap at graduated specified levels up to $300 by FY 2001, and permitting states to make use of the standard utility allowance mandatory;

* Revised provisions for disqualification, including comparable disqualification with other means-tested programs; and

* Required states to implement EBT before Oct. 1, 2002.

I assume the work requirements were part of Clinton's vaunted welfare "reform" and I assume that's what Biden was referencing when he said he was on record as supporting such requirements.

Have there been any legislative attempts to overturn these requirements since 1996?

Willa Rogers fucked around with this message at 15:42 on May 28, 2023

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
Biden literally said that removing the debt ceiling would be irresponsible back in October. He wants to keep it even though the GOP has been using it to threaten the country in the past decade.

A bill was introduced in the House back in 2021 and it languished in a committee.

The Dems had the power to now have this crisis but they let it happen.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

In addition to the Haley & Pence town halls that CNN is planning, which I mentioned the other day, Fox News is hosting a Trump town hall this week, but this one will be pre-recorded:

https://twitter.com/brianstelter/status/1661875575475011584

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Whether or not we can afford SNAP is beyond the point. Giving people free money with no work requirement incentivizes feelings of entitlement and makes them worse people. And before you say “but many SNAP recipients work!” Well, the work requirement should be waived for those people.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Jen heir rick
Aug 4, 2004
when a woman says something's not funny, you better not laugh your ass off

pencilhands posted:

Whether or not we can afford SNAP is beyond the point. Giving people free money with no work requirement incentivizes feelings of entitlement and makes them worse people.

no it doesn't.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

pencilhands posted:

Whether or not we can afford SNAP is beyond the point. Giving people free money with no work requirement incentivizes feelings of entitlement and makes them worse people. And before you say “but many SNAP recipients work!” Well, the work requirement should be waived for those people.

Spoken like someone who's never needed a safety net in their life.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

pencilhands posted:

Jesus christ, what the hell is this? Even if this line of thought wasn't horrific and wrong, SNAP is food assistance. It's not cutting someone a check with no strings, it's providing them with a bare minimum level of assistance so that they can acquire food and groceries in order to stay alive, which is incidentally the barest loving minimum thing that we, as a society, should ensure everyone has.

Would you consider a school providing free lunches to hungry kids to "incentivize feelings of entitlement and make them worse people"? Should those little mooching shits starve unless the school keeps them after class to scrub pots and floors?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

pencilhands posted:

Worse people?

Do you moralize like this for ppl that got their PPP loans forgiven? Or for ppl with tax credits for their mortgages?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Kanos posted:

Jesus christ, what the hell is this?

It's a troll account the mods have known is a troll account for six months, but have refused to remove. Thus, the thread is now theirs.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 16:43 on May 28, 2023

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

pencilhands posted:

Giving people free money with no work requirement incentivizes feelings of entitlement

oh no human beings feeling entitled to food, which is all you can buy with SNAP

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

pencilhands posted:

The gently caress. Like, yeah, there is a tiny amount of people who do that, but you shouldn't deny 99% of people loving FOOD just so that 1% "get a free ride" or whatever garbage thought you have here.

Most people just... want to live reasonably happy lives, and that usually means they want to feel loving productive and have a not poo poo job.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The work requirements thing really sticks in my fuckin' craw. What I heard - not sure if this is going to be the final provision - is that they are expanding existing work requirements for childless 18-49 year olds to 50-55 year olds. It affects so few people, which is good, but they're also vulnerable people and such a weirdly specific group to make the explicit victims of this bill. It has to be, what - a few tens of thousands of people, if that? It's just... mean.

Otherwise the deal is basically a total victory. Slight cuts in the next two years by voiding scheduled budget increases, but avoids standoffs with Republicans over the debt ceiling again, or over the budget, where they could try to extract more concessions.

Ugh, that fuckin' work requirement thing, though, blah. I hope Biden talks about how stupid and petty it is when he signs the bill. He should apologize for failing to protect powerless people from Republicans.

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

And there it is. This is a manufactured problem with a legitimate way out but never miss an opportunity to scold the vulnerable.
Dems are five seats away from a majority. There are five seats they lost by less than 3,000 votes.

I'm not saying we should necessarily be "scolding" people who didn't vote for Sean Patrick Maloney (NY-17), Adam Gray (CA-13), Carl Malinga (MI-10), Adam Frisch (CA-3), or Cindy Axne (IA-3). But it should be permissible to note that if more people had voted for those candidates, then we would not have had these cuts. End of story, period, full stop.

"Dems wanted cuts!" you insist. Yeah, well, why didn't they cut way more, then? Why did they only cut like, 1% of what McCarthy initially asked them to cut?

theCalamity posted:

Biden literally said that removing the debt ceiling would be irresponsible back in October. He wants to keep it even though the GOP has been using it to threaten the country in the past decade.
I think the "in October" has a lot to do with this. It was two weeks before an election and I think you know what most Americans, who don't follow politics or policy closely, think when they hear the words "no debt limit." You can't say, two weeks before an election, "there should be no debt limit." It's really stupid, but you just can't.

And that's what all of this is: it's slightly cowardly, overly-conventional politics, which is just about exactly what I expected when I was forced to vote for Joe Biden over Donald Trump.

Staluigi posted:

Something incredibly predictable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

pencilhands posted:

I hope you spend an eternity in the hell of maggots. Have a nice day!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)