Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Fil5000 posted:

Looks as though he kept going and didn't respond to any of the criticism beyond renaming the video to "How will the Chris Tyson situation impact Mr Beast?". His more recent videos look like they have lower view counts than previous ones but still generally >1m views per video

He's one of those people that is supported by several big name "commentary" youtubers and the whole ordeal was excused in a "Oh well, HE ONLY HAD A FEW HOURS TO MAKE IT BEFORE THE WINDOW OF RELEVANCE WENT AWAY" sort of way, so his average audience didn't give much a drat about it. Meanwhile Illuminaughty's audience are people who wanna see more munecat type stuff, so their standards are high enough to mind that sorta stuff.

For those that like just putting stuff on the background, 80sCommercialVault is about to hit their 1000th video.

Kunster fucked around with this message at 13:03 on May 28, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

The Saddest Rhino posted:

The big reasons that the illuminati person is suddenly tweeting are because at least one big sponsor dropped her and she's lawyering up lol she could just do the sunny v2 thing of posting through it and ignoring even Mr beast

Uh if she does sue the person she by her own admittance in the video said was very vulnerable that moves this from lovely person to actual monster. I think there are laws in many states that try to prevent a random rich person trying to put a vulnerable person through the legal ringer, but you can’t just keep trying to destroy someone just because you can’t post on Nebula anymore or whatever.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Shinji2015 posted:

Yeah, a streamer I used to watch a lot of started playing FF14 after letting her chat talk her into playing it on stream, went hard into it, and now that she's done with it and moving on from it being an every stream type of thing, her numbers have dropped quite a bit. She was primarily a variety streamer before she got bit by the FF14 bug, but now that she's transitioning back to variety streaming, her numbers are lower than they were before she started playing FF14 to begin with.

Streaming's hard, and the audiences are fickle

It's depressing watching a streamer feel like they're trapped by a game, although FFXIV is probably better for it than trying to play a game that purports itself to be competitive with toxic communities like asymmetrical horror games.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Dawgstar posted:

It's depressing watching a streamer feel like they're trapped by a game, although FFXIV is probably better for it than trying to play a game that purports itself to be competitive with toxic communities like asymmetrical horror games.

What is asymmetrical horror? Complex polyhedrons?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Grassy Knowles posted:

It's stuff like Dead by Daylight where the two "teams" play completely differently.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Grassy Knowles posted:

Something like Dead by Daylight or whatever, I assume. A game where you have like four survivors and one killer.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Grassy Knowles posted:

think something like dead by daylight where there's powerful killers and scrappy underdog survivors but both roles are manned by players

e: lol double beaten

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

RatHat posted:

It's stuff like Dead by Daylight where the two "teams" play completely differently.

Veotax posted:

Something like Dead by Daylight or whatever, I assume. A game where you have like four survivors and one killer.

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

think something like dead by daylight where there's powerful killers and scrappy underdog survivors but both roles are manned by players

e: lol double beaten

Thanks y’all that was fast

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Dawgstar posted:

I can't speak to how toxic the DBD community is since I've never had any interest in it, but yeah, it is. My mom watches this one CoD player who I'm convinced hates CoD because he never looks like he's having fun playing Warzone, he hates Activision-Blizzard and refuses to give them money, but he has thousands of viewers watching his streams and he recently had a kid, so he keeps playing it. Way my mom tells me, he talks about how much he likes PUBG and Halo but never streams them, which makes me think that he tried to and his numbers tanked

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Shinji2015 posted:

Way my mom tells me, he talks about how much he likes PUBG and Halo but never streams them, which makes me think that he tried to and his numbers tanked

Could also be a “I do not want kill my actual fun with becoming financially dependent on it again” situation

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
In regards to worldbuilding, I think there was criticism about Final Fantasy XIII where they threw terms like "fal'Cie" or "l'Cie" at us constantly when the game started and we had no idea what any of them meant, and all the backstory that explains this was hidden away in some lore index you had to search for in your menu.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Mraagvpeine posted:

In regards to worldbuilding, I think there was criticism about Final Fantasy XIII where they threw terms like "fal'Cie" or "l'Cie" at us constantly when the game started and we had no idea what any of them meant, and all the backstory that explains this was hidden away in some lore index you had to search for in your menu.

I’ve finished it and by like halfway through you can pick out what they’re talking about. They just named them too similarly for some reason so it scrambles your brain for awhile.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Grassy Knowles posted:

Could also be a “I do not want kill my actual fun with becoming financially dependent on it again” situation

The grind to being 'financially solvent at streaming' is real and it turns even your favorite game into a job if you have to play it 6+ hours a day. Even if you don't play your 'main' game you might not lose out not on only subs and donations and whatnot but people even stop following the channel if they see you playing something else. This is on top of how much of a cut Twitch takes from regular tier 1 subs and since it's technically considered a small business in the US the taxes on it are really high which generally means that people who make a living at Twitch are already financially solvent or have spouses who are. So you're slugging it out in a game for hours most days where you'd rather play like anything else dealing with the percentage of the community that's toxic who'll stream snipe for the lolz or hate raid because you have the tag 'LBTQA' or even just 'Ally' and all sorts of things.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Shinji2015 posted:

My mom watches this one CoD player

no words have ever made me feel older

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McEWh87szQY

Does anyone remember Idubbbz? Honestly his humour reminds me a lot of this site before we matured.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Dawgstar posted:

The grind to being 'financially solvent at streaming' is real and it turns even your favorite game into a job if you have to play it 6+ hours a day. Even if you don't play your 'main' game you might not lose out not on only subs and donations and whatnot but people even stop following the channel if they see you playing something else. This is on top of how much of a cut Twitch takes from regular tier 1 subs and since it's technically considered a small business in the US the taxes on it are really high which generally means that people who make a living at Twitch are already financially solvent or have spouses who are. So you're slugging it out in a game for hours most days where you'd rather play like anything else dealing with the percentage of the community that's toxic who'll stream snipe for the lolz or hate raid because you have the tag 'LBTQA' or even just 'Ally' and all sorts of things.

It honestly depends on the audience, but even on variety streamers I've seen a fair share of cases where a streamer straight up stopped playing an old RPG they happened to really like because it tanked their audience horribly. Sometimes there's a lucky break where being really good and engaging with one title means you can transfer the same attributes to other areas, and I know of one where several fighting game streamers decided to make a small retirement period where all they played was MahJong on stream. I will say that Hitbox\Smashcast was far worse on the hate raids than Twitch was.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Violet_Sky posted:

Does anyone remember Idubbbz? Honestly his humour reminds me a lot of this site before we matured.

I remember watching a few videos of his back in the day. Definitely an interesting message from him, and wow is that a big L from Charlie.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Mraagvpeine posted:

As bad as FF13 was about it, Bungie games are easily the worst for my dumb brain. Whether it's Halo or Destiny, their games become a mess of in-universe terminology.

"Guardian, we must use your Light and go to The Library so that we can ask The Illuminator about how to deliver The Crucible to The Kiln so that we can defeat The Didact, The Covenant, The Forerunners, The Taken and win The Deuteronomic War."

I've played every Halo game and I genuinely don't know what the plot is a for a number of them.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

As bad as FF13 was about it, Bungie games are easily the worst for my dumb brain. Whether it's Halo or Destiny, their games become a mess of in-universe terminology.

"Guardian, we must use your Light and go to The Library so that we can ask The Illuminator about how to deliver The Crucible to The Kiln so that we can defeat The Didact, The Covenant, The Forerunners, The Taken and win The Deuteronomic War."

I've played every Halo game and I genuinely don't know what the plot is a for a number of them.

if you think it's bad now Marathon was like 1000x more cryptic

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Grassy Knowles posted:

Very possible, especially if he dislikes CoD as much as I think he does.

FuturePastNow posted:

no words have ever made me feel older

If it helps, my mom is in her late 60's and has been a gamer all my life. When she was pregnant with me (I'm her oldest and in my 40's), she used to make my dad take her to a local bar all the time just so she could play Donkey Kong there.

Her all-time favorite series is Halo, and all she watches on Twitch is either art streams or various FPS shooters

Shinji2015 fucked around with this message at 17:55 on May 28, 2023

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kunster posted:

It honestly depends on the audience, but even on variety streamers I've seen a fair share of cases where a streamer straight up stopped playing an old RPG they happened to really like because it tanked their audience horribly. Sometimes there's a lucky break where being really good and engaging with one title means you can transfer the same attributes to other areas, and I know of one where several fighting game streamers decided to make a small retirement period where all they played was MahJong on stream. I will say that Hitbox\Smashcast was far worse on the hate raids than Twitch was.

It's true I think Twitch streamers are hip to ways to shut down hate raids now more than they used to be but still, little brings down the vibe like even a couple of racist assholes whose fallback for doing bad at a video game is to come in and yell "heated gamer moments" at the chat.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

The Saddest Rhino posted:

The big reasons that the illuminati person is suddenly tweeting are because at least one big sponsor dropped her and she's lawyering up lol she could just do the sunny v2 thing of posting through it and ignoring even Mr beast

Wait, did she really? I was wondering if all of this would actually see any consequences for her beyond social

Dawgstar posted:

All this sounds depressing as hell. It's why I'm glad people like Slowbeef and Voidburger have a dedicated following that are down for anything they do. I know they both have outside employment so they're not super dependent on streaming, leaving them free to do more or less what they want. Like, I can't even imagine streaming for several hours on a game you have grown to hate and then...what? Get off stream and then not even have the mental energy to play a game you like? Sounds like a nightmare

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Grassy Knowles posted:

Pyramid Head is a playable character in Dead by Daylight, so kinda, yeah.

Edit: speaking of, whoever it was on DBD's team who figured out how to get a bunch of famous horror characters on their roster is a loving genius.

They even got the greater horror legend of them all: Nicolas Cage

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 18:38 on May 28, 2023

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

I much rather watch a variety streamer than just a single game. Or even "play X game on Tuesday, Y game on Thursday, and Z game on Friday."

Though the dude who does a bunch of crosswords on Sunday ( which I cannot watch now because I work on Sunday ) is some of my favorite time streaming.

And, IDK, the dude who constantly does dumb TTS - one literally sounds like someone masturbating - but not banned because the streamer gets a cut of those TTS is the worst part of watching streams.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Twincityhacker posted:

I much rather watch a variety streamer than just a single game. Or even "play X game on Tuesday, Y game on Thursday, and Z game on Friday."

Though the dude who does a bunch of crosswords on Sunday ( which I cannot watch now because I work on Sunday ) is some of my favorite time streaming.

And, IDK, the dude who constantly does dumb TTS - one literally sounds like someone masturbating - but not banned because the streamer gets a cut of those TTS is the worst part of watching streams.

Different streamers have different audience interaction things and some of them can be pretty funny though. Like Snamwiches works on a bunch of hard achievement hunting and his viewers can give twitch bits or whatever the currency is to make him just YOLO an attempt. So he’s planning real hard about this fight and the bits get paid and it’s just like “OKAY I GUESS HERE WE GO OVER THE COVER”

the best times are when the yolo strats actually work

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

And yet people here keep telling me that paying for audience interaction just isn't a thing in streaming any more.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Mraagvpeine posted:

And now, codexes are much more prolific. DOOM has one, Mass Effect had one, Hades, Dragon Age, etc

Hel posted:

And yet people here keep telling me that paying for audience interaction just isn't a thing in streaming any more.

There's like 700 million streamers, it's hard to say that '0% of people are doing this'

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Hel posted:

Who's saying that? People love the whole 'every five subs means I ram a Carolina Reaper pepper into my mouth.'

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Dawgstar posted:

Who's saying that? People love the whole 'every five subs means I ram a Carolina Reaper pepper into my mouth.'

And in less real life masochism, there's a twitch plugin thing called Crowd Control that ties into the streamers game somehow where people can pay money to gently caress with the streamer or even give him powerups and stuff. Don't know how it works, I've only really seen it with like old emulated games like mario 64 and zelda oot.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

RareAcumen posted:

And now, codexes are much more prolific. DOOM has one, Mass Effect had one, Hades, Dragon Age, etc

ME and DA released before FFXIII, so it's kind of weird to have them as evidence it's more profilic now. But also ME/DA didn't hide what a spectre/Grey Warden was in the codec, it was part of the main narrative pretty early. That said I do feel people overreacted to the whole L'Cie , Fal´Cie thing, because it's not like you can't understand what basic blueprint they are pulling from pretty easily.

Dawgstar posted:

Thought it was in this thread, but can't find it with search and I can't remember where else I talked about streaming on here.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Hel posted:

ME and DA released before FFXIII, so it's kind of weird to have them as evidence it's more profilic now. But also ME/DA didn't hide what a spectre/Grey Warden was in the codec, it was part of the main narrative pretty early. That said I do feel people overreacted to the whole L'Cie , Fal´Cie thing, because it's not like you can't understand what basic blueprint they are pulling from pretty easily.

Well, we did just have Mass Effect remastered fairly recently, so that's why I ended up thinking about them. Replace those with Witcher 3, Life is Strange, Deus Ex Human Revolution, Dishonored I think, Assassin's Creed and maybe Ghost of Tsushima? Those last two are assumptions, I haven't played an AC game since 3 and I've never played GoT but it feels like it'd have a lot of separate writing on life before the war and etc.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I do think it's more prolific, but mostly because every big game now is an open-world collectathon stuffed to the gills with journals, notes, and lore. They might not call it a Codex, but dangit they paid someone to write all those excerpts so there's gotta be someplace in the menus for them to sit unread and forgotten.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Really, FF13's biggest mistake is not giving everyone bespoke enough titles. Instead of fal'Cie and l'Cie it should've been Ainur and Maiar which are the Istari, a subset of the Maiar, which serve the Valar, all created by Ilúvatar.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Violet_Sky posted:

Ian always stuck out as having a lot of...I dunno if talent or potential are the right words, but he had a pretty good idea of how to be funny and make a good point somewhere in there. But gently caress me if it wasn't miserably slathered in edgy, racist 4chan dogshit and it's why I both kept his content at arms' length to start with and then eventually gave up on it entirely. It's heartening to see him, long and short of it, grow the hell up and own up to it.

Meanwhile Charlie seems to have terminal Youtuber brain.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Violet_Sky posted:

He’s my favorite YouTuber and his growth has been amazing to watch. I’m glad he made the Apology video and I’m excited to see what he has in store. Ice Cream Man is an amazing doc and I’ve been loving all the docs he’s done for smaller or forgotten YouTubers (besides that fat pus man sam Hyde)

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

charlie's response really is so weirdly off-base. ian outright says basically "i relied on people to be able to pick up and read my intentions, but i became uncomfortable when i saw that there were people who couldn't, so i wanna finally say that poo poo was bad and dumb and there's a reason i stopped doing it, sorry to everyone who caught strays" and charlie just is like "well he didn't mean to be racist sooooo why's he apologizing???"

e: also 'charlie and the hot take factory' is a great video title

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
Charlie's response only makes sense if you put it through the lens of him, or those in his orbit, being made uncomfortable with the implications of creators having to reckon with content put out in the past. That's his issue, less anything about the specifics of Ian's situation at all.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Shinji2015 posted:

I can't speak to how toxic the DBD community is since I've never had any interest in it, but yeah, it is. My mom watches this one CoD player who I'm convinced hates CoD because he never looks like he's having fun playing Warzone, he hates Activision-Blizzard and refuses to give them money, but he has thousands of viewers watching his streams and he recently had a kid, so he keeps playing it. Way my mom tells me, he talks about how much he likes PUBG and Halo but never streams them, which makes me think that he tried to and his numbers tanked

I'm genuinely curious, why is your mom watching Call of Duty streamers? From your regdate it seems like she'd be a few decades off from the type of person who watches CoD streams.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

And then he made another video where he tries to reiterate on how he was actually praising of his growth and that the critics were just being mighty unfair to him.

Which I don't know, if he switched off his Troom Troom Narrator demeanor for a single video, this point could have flown better, if it actually existed. He frames Idubbz's change as more of being bored with his previous work + a weird attempt at rebranding himself and tries to pin it to his own existence and not let's say, him having a nasty moral breakthrough that was sparked by both meeting fans and how the general reaction to his current wife.

SomeOrdinaryGamers's Muta also made a response to this and ... surprise, despite having a more conservative view, he bothers to actually GET to the main issue as to why Idubbz's bothered to have this response, and his support is framed in a "I honestly hope you actually keep to this, since its such a daring move, and not just some sort of rebranding to gather a more modern audience". Better response to their audience, no weird condenscension to the viewer, and actually bothered to wait a day or two before running to the camera to freestyle a take.

Kunster fucked around with this message at 22:51 on May 28, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Charlie was better when he was just doing silly swears over winnie the pooh's home run derby. I remember him starting to comment on youtube videos of stupid people and then i guess he just fell into the awful hole that just talks about youtube people getting mad all the time