Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
If Panini (or any of them) asked me if I wanted a replacement for a high end redemption I’d put the ball in their court and ask directly what they intended to replace it with. There’s always a chance they offer something of similar value and something extra.

Or just be like “yeah I’ll do six cases of Optic if you think that’s fair.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021

Chief McHeath posted:

If Panini (or any of them) asked me if I wanted a replacement for a high end redemption I’d put the ball in their court and ask directly what they intended to replace it with. There’s always a chance they offer something of similar value and something extra.

Or just be like “yeah I’ll do six cases of Optic if you think that’s fair.”

the truth is they send you a no name auto and there is nothing you can do about it muahahahahaahaha

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
A buddy got me an auto Jimmy Herget Bowman 1st for my birthday and within a week I purchased a series 1 hobby box and Bowman blaster lol. The series 1 box had zero dupes and I'm only missing 8 base cards for the set, is that normal for a hobby box? The last time I bought any cards was 2005 so I'm seriously behind on the collecting game.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

That’s pretty good for collation

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021

Gorman Thomas posted:

A buddy got me an auto Jimmy Herget Bowman 1st for my birthday and within a week I purchased a series 1 hobby box and Bowman blaster lol. The series 1 box had zero dupes and I'm only missing 8 base cards for the set, is that normal for a hobby box? The last time I bought any cards was 2005 so I'm seriously behind on the collecting game.

seems pretty lucky, especially for smaller sets. i think they do everything they can to not allow for box mapping

pulled some old cards out to look at

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
After a week of getting a handle on all the Topps releases, card types, markets, and degenerate gambling poo poo in this hobby, it really feels like there's another junk wax period happening but with parallels. There's no reason for there to be 10 to 15 color numbered parallels for every card, this poo poo sucks.

Anyway I'll be buying up the Heavy Lumber and All Aces Series 1 inserts on eBay cause those are some sick rear end cards.

Edit: ok I got really high and looked at some cool inserts I'm back on board with this hobby

Gorman Thomas fucked around with this message at 06:18 on May 18, 2023

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Gorman Thomas posted:

After a week of getting a handle on all the Topps releases, card types, markets, and degenerate gambling poo poo in this hobby, it really feels like there's another junk wax period happening but with parallels. There's no reason for there to be 10 to 15 color numbered parallels for every card, this poo poo sucks.

Anyway I'll be buying up the Heavy Lumber and All Aces Series 1 inserts on eBay cause those are some sick rear end cards.

Edit: ok I got really high and looked at some cool inserts I'm back on board with this hobby

Insert set collecting is where it's at, that's mostly what I do. I did the All Aces set this year and it's great.

lloyol
Jun 23, 2005

NARFZ
I decided to try my luck at grading some cards to see what I'd get. I have some results back:

2018 Topps Chrome #150 Shohei Ohtani Pitching PSA 10
2018 Topps Chrome 1983 35th Anniversary 83T-6 Shohei Ohtani PSA 10
2018 Topps A&G #100 Shohei Ohtani PSA 9

Non baseball
1998-99 Skybox Autographics Tracy McGrady PSA 8
1999-00 SP Authentic Sign of the Times Tracy McGrady PSA 8
I'm still waiting on my 1998-99 SP Authentic die-cut auto Tracy McGrady. I paid extra for the auto to be graded on this one.

Nice to have some PSA 10's for Ohtani, but I'm a little upset to see the McGrady's register an 8, considering they were stored in a binder for 20+ years and I thought the corners and centering were fine. I could even see a scratch on the 35th Anniversary version but I submitted it anyway.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
This is so bad I need to make a full set of the inserts

http://www.baseballcardpedia.com/index.php/1995_Studio

Want to slap a McGriff card on the check and tell my friends that the Crimedog's got this one.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Gorman Thomas posted:

Want to slap a McGriff card on the check and tell my friends that the Crimedog's got this one.

I remember those. Funny enough I read the description and had a thought, "was it the base cards or a parallel that was actually embossed?" and sure enough, there are the gold and platinum parallels "printed on plastic stock with die-cut corners," gotta imagine those are the embossed ones I was thinking of.

I was reminded of these two sets of inserts by a post in a group on facebook:

Collectors Choice silver and gold signatures. I believe silvers were one per pack, don't remember the odds on the golds, one per box or maybe case? The gold border looked so, so good.

Upper Deck Electric Diamond. Upper Deck was always the premium brand, but I feel like this was about when they started separating themselves from the pack. Super condition sensitive.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Gorman Thomas posted:

These own, I recently started collecting the Golds. 7 down, 43 to go!!!

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
If anyone has any specific players they collect feel free to post em here. Happy to go through my collection and send through any I have (no cost to you, but it will be usps in a plain white envelope).

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Chief McHeath posted:

Upper Deck Electric Diamond. Upper Deck was always the premium brand, but I feel like this was about when they started separating themselves from the pack. Super condition sensitive.

Man, Griffey was so good back in the day. I remember watching him hit two homeruns for Seattle at Fenway park when I went with my Dad.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

Sunk Dunk posted:

If anyone has any specific players they collect feel free to post em here. Happy to go through my collection and send through any I have (no cost to you, but it will be usps in a plain white envelope).

I’m getting back into the hobby after 30 years. I’m going through the different card art to see what I like. My team is the Padres, I’d be happy to send some money for whatever you are willing to part with.

i can still taste him
Feb 16, 2003
Buglord

Sunk Dunk posted:

Yo, that's a really cool offer. Thanks! I collect Bo Bichette. In Canada and willing to pay shipping.

Lemme know if there are any players or teams you collect.

i can still taste him fucked around with this message at 04:20 on May 28, 2023

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
I’m traveling at the moment but will check for ya both once I’m back in June

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
My buddy got me one of those cards where you pick a game for the player and if they go yard you get a special card from that game or something.

It's a Bo Bichette card and I'm trying to figure out which game he's most likely to hit a ding dong.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

My buddy got me one of those cards where you pick a game for the player and if they go yard you get a special card from that game or something.

It's a Bo Bichette card and I'm trying to figure out which game he's most likely to hit a ding dong.

Do the Jays play Oakland still this year? It's as good a guess as any.

i can still taste him
Feb 16, 2003
Buglord

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Go with Canada Day, cuz why not? Home game in the only Canadian stadium on Canada Day. BoSox are in town.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
This pertains to hockey cards, but this is the only card thread I know of. Last week I got 2 emails from Panini that they were shipping me something via fed ex. To my old address.

I contacted my old neighbor who got the packages for me. They were for two redemptions I redeemed in 2011!!! They gave me a pretty good haul of substitutes.

James Neal and Henrik Lundqvist Social sigs
Ian cole rookie
Doug Gilmour immortal sig
Adam Larson Jersey/Sig rookie

Instead of a Cam Fowler and some guy I've never heard of rookie.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
that guy you never heard of... albert einstein

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
The old hockey card thread was awesome, we did group breaks and pulled some crazy stuff. It was right around the time Panini was getting out of hockey so you had a bunch of crazy cheap products combined with mid 2010 prices on cards.

I miss those days of competition and multiple companies with licenses. While I only do hockey and Upper Deck seems strong enough, I’m terrified to see what Fanatics does with everything they’ve acquired and what it’ll do to card shops down the line.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Danny LaFever posted:

They were for two redemptions I redeemed in 2011!!! They gave me a pretty good haul of substitutes.
That timeframe is insane, I would have assumed they weren't going to get filled after 12 years

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Redemption card stories reminded me of something.

1983 Topps. 11 year old me opened a lot of them. I don't recall any other year or series doing this during the time I collected (82-89 or so - junk wax city) but 1983 Topps wax packs came with a scratch off game.

I scratched so many of these things. We all did. Nobody I knew won a drat thing. Even at 11 years old I wasn't dumb enough to think I was going to win a World Series trip but I got math enough to know that I had opened enough that at 1 in 140 for any prize - I was officially unlucky.

Then I won.

But it wasn't the card sheet. And while it sure as Hell wasn't WS tickets, it also wasn't the ColecoVision that would have blown my drat mind at the time.

No - I won a batting glove. A 1 in 1143 chance. I AM A KING. I filled out the card, and mailed it in. The back says 4-6 weeks, but I remember it taking what seemed like forever. Long enough for my dreams of a sweet new FREE Franklin batting glove to have been basically forgotten when the package arrived. (In hind sight - it was probably a month or something. 11 year olds are weird.)

Google is failing me, and it's not important enough to keep looking for a picture of what I got. But let me assure you what came in the mail was NOT a Franklin batting glove. Velcro strap to cinch it around your wrist? No - it had a thin 1/4 wide strip of elastic sewn into the opening. Actual padding that make hitting a ball wrong not sting? Hell no - you may as well not be wearing it.

It was a Topps version of Ralphie getting told to be sure to drink my Ovaltine. I tried to use it. But my friends saw it. 11 year olds are weird. And ruthless. I don't remember how long it took before I threw it away, but it sure as Hell didn't make it through that Summer. My God, I think I endured multiple instances of the ultimate 1983 taunt - "Did you get that at K-Mart?"

Thanks, Topps. Still a great design though. I think the 83 Topps are easily the best of the years I collected.

Edit - I can absolutely smell wax pack gum from looking up those pictures. That memory/sense or whatever is just seared into my head.

Tony Phillips fucked around with this message at 23:42 on May 29, 2023

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
I’m open to just changing this to sports cards general, if anyone can change the title

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Sunk Dunk posted:

I’m open to just changing this to sports cards general, if anyone can change the title

Card Guyz(this includes women) rise up

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
Sorry they’re all baseball cards some of them just have hockey or basketball players on them :shrug:

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Tony Phillips posted:

Redemption card stories reminded me of something.

1983 Topps. 11 year old me opened a lot of them. I don't recall any other year or series doing this during the time I collected (82-89 or so - junk wax city) but 1983 Topps wax packs came with a scratch off game.

That rattled around enough failing braincells to actually produce a memory.

Topps had a scratch-off in 1991 or 1992. Odds were supposedly a little better in your favor. I won something. Nothing big. A pack of cards, it had to be. I think there was some kind of stamp on them that you won in the stach-off. There wasn't anyone worth anything in random assortment I got.

1994 Fleer baseball had an insert in every pack, with the best being a Nolan Ryan Smoke & Heat card. I finally pulled it, as the inserts had made Fleer my favorite set that year. (13-year-olds, yo)

You could also pull a redemption card for a rookie set, which I did as well. Puling up the checklist, it's perfectly awful. After Carlos Delgado, the second best player might have been Kurt Abbott.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I collect sumo wrestling cards. They’re fun. The last box I got gave me my first autograph from an active rikishi

I have a box of the next set coming later this week. Im hoping I can go 2 in a row.

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021

Shiroc posted:

I collect sumo wrestling cards. They’re fun. The last box I got gave me my first autograph from an active rikishi

I have a box of the next set coming later this week. Im hoping I can go 2 in a row.

Hell yeah. I was just at the may tournament a few days ago and had great fun. There was a guy selling sumo cards and I regretted not getting any before they closed up

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
What the gently caress that's cool as hell. I assume you get them shipped in from Japan via eBay or something?

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Chief McHeath posted:

Sorry they’re all baseball cards some of them just have hockey or basketball players on them :shrug:

Sometimes it's a bunch of 100 year old chicken cards and that seriously might be my favorite post in this thread.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

camoseven posted:

What the gently caress that's cool as hell. I assume you get them shipped in from Japan via eBay or something?

I’ve been getting them from this guy that imports them and ships from Ohio: https://bigsumofan.com

I get one box as each series comes out, which is usually good to get like 80% of the set each time. The sets usually have a nice mix of ‘standard’ shots and then various fun little subsets of the guys relaxing. The last one had Smile!

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
You have inspired me to go find some sumo cards today

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

FlamingLiberal posted:

That timeframe is insane, I would have assumed they weren't going to get filled after 12 years

They haven't made hockey cards since I think 2014 or 15? So those cards were just sitting around. They must have stumbled across my redemptions, because I certainly didn't remember them.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
Thanks to a friend I decided to crack open this tub I hadn’t thought about in years. Nothing valuable I’m sure, but I finally understand the nostalgia.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I'm scared how many junk wax companies and years I know immediately on sight.

1993 Leaf baseball is one of the most purely attractive designs ever.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
Yeah all of it is worthless. My dad swore I was going to retire on the 90 Leaf set so I’ll stop contributing to my 401k any day now.

I do think I’ll complete a couple sets, just for the fun of it. I love the 93 set too!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I have a few 1992 Donruss cards signed. A month ago Bernard Gilkey came up this way since he is the hitting coach for the Palm Beach Cardinals so I had him sign one.

I went into my signed card spreadsheet and these are the ones I have-

Luis Alicea, Wilson Alvarez, Rod Beck, Tim Burke, Bernard Gilkey, Juan Guzman, Jack Morris, Dan Plesac, Lee Smith, Eddie Taubensee

For some reason I thought I had more

FlamingLiberal fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jun 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sy Borg
Sep 20, 2007

Grimey Drawer
This seems to be a common refrain, but I have started collecting baseball cards after spending the majority of my life not doing so. Personally, I blame the pack unwrapping mechanism within MLB The Show. In fact, earlier this year I asked aloud to my wife, “How many people will return to the hobby?”before buying my first pack last month.

After opening a few packs of 2023 Topps, I unwrapped a few limited edition cards including an orange foil and Memorial Day camp variant editions. Seeing the little gold numbers denoting the scarcity really cemented the fun of this hobby.

What have I gotten myself into?