Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Wittgen posted:

The characters in Barry aren't hosed up trashfires who never get better because the show thinks it's impossible to improve as a person. They're that way because they refuse to put in the work. They just want to decide they're different ("starting now") and expect reality to accommodate.

In Barry's case, by putting in the work do you mean going to therapy? At least Tony Soprano tried that.

I think the starting now thing resonates because it's so relatable. I'd like to stick to daily exercise and meditation... starting now.

Barry did go a whole season without killing someone until the end that one time, which was well done. I do think he's attempted to change.

I know a lot of dark stories, say some Coen bros movies, have an element of saying look at this fuckup doom themselves. Say Fargo, or even right from Blood Simple etc. Not to split hairs but I think it's more saying "it's hard to change" and the cycle of trauma and upbringing stuff. He's been searching and trying things, just not the right things, or not enough to fix his deep deep problems.

Plus it's such a crazy satirical reality they live in it's tough to be too hard on them. Though you could say that about us too.

On off the wall predictions, I propose an HBO universe Max-iverse. We get cameos from Johnny Drama and Meadow Soprano.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 03:26 on May 26, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Robobot posted:

Dear lord if they get Daniel Day-Lewis and Wahlberg for quick cameos I will forgive the time skip.

Just off-camera, discussing the next script:
Tom: Cousineau already told me that he loves it.
Sally: Tom, I don't think Gene is right.
Tom: Why the hell not?
Barry: Because he's too short.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
The one thing I hope we get in the finale is the theme song from the intro.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
We’ve seen Sally and Gene on the beach, with what I’ve always assumed are Barry’s other murders, and I’ve been waiting for them to die ever since. So that’s my prediction.

I am mad about Sally choices in the time skip. Her career was on the rebound. She could’ve made it.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

lifg posted:

We’ve seen Sally and Gene on the beach, with what I’ve always assumed are Barry’s other murders, and I’ve been waiting for them to die ever since. So that’s my prediction.

I am mad about Sally choices in the time skip. Her career was on the rebound. She could’ve made it.

My take, she saw nobody in Hollywood cared about her and it actually was a vacuous horrid dream. So she went to live with the killer who she felt safe with etc. Makes sense to me. I agree in hindsight it was a bad idea to go on the lam with this fugitive guy, there are plenty of fish in the sea etc. But I don't think the career was the reason to stay. If anything being so career minded is part of why she has no life skills and can't make toast. Maybe I'm looking at this too seriously, helluva show.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
But to have stuck with that one decision, and for eight years.

That’s like going on an eight year bender.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

lifg posted:

But to have stuck with that one decision, and for eight years.

That’s like going on an eight year bender.

I would say this episode shows how much she is horrified at the prospect of continuing the life but at the same time its what she has known and has allowed her to ignore what she has been through. Inertia is a hell of a thing to overcome.

Edit: There's also the fact she is with a violent fugitive that, while he's never shown violence towards her, we also don't know what he would do if she left him now.

limp_cheese fucked around with this message at 06:23 on May 26, 2023

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

There were probably "good times" right when John was born. A chance to do better than her parents, probably out of spite, rather than true goodwill. After that, even if it's not working out, might as well hang in there for 18 years until he's all grown up.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Hi! Former (current) alcoholic here. 8 years is nothing.

There's a bunch of ways to read her final moments in Hollywood, but I saw it as this agent saying "hey, this'll take some time. You're talented, clearly, but you're gonna have to scrape and scrap your way back up".

And Sally has spent the show climbing that mountain and to do that again? Yeah, she hit the eject button hard.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

limp_cheese posted:

Edit: There's also the fact she is with a violent fugitive that, while he's never shown violence towards her, we also don't know what he would do if she left him now.

Barry actually straight up said when he declared he was going back to LA to kill Cousineau that it was this or they send the kid to an orphanage and commit suicide. He didn't think it was a threat but it absolutely was, he was telling her that if they don't do things his way the only alternative he will allow them is death.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
the events of barry are in snowglobe imagined by karate girl

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Heavy Metal posted:

On off the wall predictions, I propose an HBO universe Max-iverse. We get cameos from Johnny Drama and Meadow Soprano.

Final Barry scene:

Lights flicker on and we see a sterile-looking rec room, complete with tables, chairs, and a tv. Along the walls of this multi-level room are smaller rooms with glass doors. In the distance, we hear a buzzer and someone yells "COUNT!". People begin to emerge from their rooms and form a line out in front of their doors. Eagle-eyed viewers will recognize about half of the cast of both The Wire and Law & Order among the faces of the men here.

Shot of Barry exiting his room and stepping forward to get in line with everyone else. We focus on his face, which looks tired and grumpy. We then see Hank scurry up next to him, seemingly feeling the opposite of Barry; awake and chipper.

Hank: "Hey Bahhdy, did you have a good sleep? I slept like a baby log, let me tell you. I'm really glad I asked for new pillow yesterday. Did you know..."

The audio of Hank's voice fades away as the camera slowly moves towards Barry's face, focusing on his tired eyes. Do we see anger or defeat?

Fade to black

Cut to theme song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enLN64YRhDs

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 13:12 on May 26, 2023

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

ruddiger posted:

Kinda hilarious that the two hbo shows about Hollywood actors are Barry and Entourage.

Both shows centering on psychopaths

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

limp_cheese posted:

I would say this episode shows how much she is horrified at the prospect of continuing the life but at the same time its what she has known and has allowed her to ignore what she has been through. Inertia is a hell of a thing to overcome.

Jerusalem posted:

Barry actually straight up said when he declared he was going back to LA to kill Cousineau that it was this or they send the kid to an orphanage and commit suicide. He didn't think it was a threat but it absolutely was, he was telling her that if they don't do things his way the only alternative he will allow them is death.

he had a breakdown resulting in him screaming at Sally and imposing his will on her to help Cousineau in front of a teenager in season 2. The teenager correctly identified Barry as abusive and Sally covered for him.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

barry yelling at sally, s3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fciZfHIkQgY&t=3917s

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Cranappleberry posted:

he had a breakdown resulting in him screaming at Sally and imposing his will on her to help Cousineau in front of a teenager in season 2. The teenager correctly identified Barry as abusive and Sally covered for him.

I would say that shows with Sally he has more bark than bite because she did tell him no and didn't help him, and Barry didn't start beating her or yelling at her more. Even when they broke up he just kind of took it. So yeah, he does have a soft spot for Sally.

Hell, I just remembered when her show was cancelled and they were broken up Barry wanted ro comforr her but asked first if it was ok to put his arm around her instead of just forcing his way back in.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
barry, lets break that down, bury. to hide underground, to cause to disappear. sally, sally, to sally forth, a sudden charge from a besieged place against the enemy.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

limp_cheese posted:

I would say that shows with Sally he has more bark than bite because she did tell him no and didn't help him, and Barry didn't start beating her or yelling at her more. Even when they broke up he just kind of took it. So yeah, he does have a soft spot for Sally.

Hell, I just remembered when her show was cancelled and they were broken up Barry wanted ro comforr her but asked first if it was ok to put his arm around her instead of just forcing his way back in.

It's pretty depressing that he's pretty much not interested in her at all compared to his son now. Hell, in the last episode he prays for John but not her.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

That DICK! posted:

barry, lets break that down, bury. to hide underground, to cause to disappear. sally, sally, to sally forth, a sudden charge from a besieged place against the enemy.

\/

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
By doing the work, I mean accepting the consequences. Sure, Barry has gone periods of time living a new way. However, you can't just say starting now and suddenly have a blank slate. You have to live the new way while also shouldering the weight of all that bad you did before. It sucks and it is extremely relatable that no one wants to do it.

Coming in to this season, I thought Barry might actually find redemption. Being arrested was a great start to accepting who he was, and there's no way to change who you are without accepting that you are in fact that person. Of course, Barry runs away into a delusional Christian dadsona the first chance he gets. RIP.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

FireWorksWell posted:

It's pretty depressing that he's pretty much not interested in her at all compared to his son now. Hell, in the last episode he prays for John but not her.

That's something I was wondering about when she was being hit on by her coworker. I'm assuming Sally and Barry just exist around each other now and sex/intamacy is very rare if non-existant. I was actually rooting for her to fool around with her coworker as some kind of outlet or catharsis but I guess she got that a different way with him.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

FireWorksWell posted:

that's because nothing barry ever felt for Sally was real, she was just an object to help fulfill his fantasies. interested to see if its the same with John or if there's actual feelings behind that

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Final Barry scene:

Lights flicker on and we see a sterile-looking rec room, complete with tables, chairs, and a tv. Along the walls of this multi-level room are smaller rooms with glass doors. In the distance, we hear a buzzer and someone yells "COUNT!". People begin to emerge from their rooms and form a line out in front of their doors. Eagle-eyed viewers will recognize about half of the cast of both The Wire and Law & Order among the faces of the men here.

Shot of Barry exiting his room and stepping forward to get in line with everyone else. We focus on his face, which looks tired and grumpy. We then see Hank scurry up next to him, seemingly feeling the opposite of Barry; awake and chipper.

Hank: "Hey Bahhdy, did you have a good sleep? I slept like a baby log, let me tell you. I'm really glad I asked for new pillow yesterday. Did you know..."

The audio of Hank's voice fades away as the camera slowly moves towards Barry's face, focusing on his tired eyes. Do we see anger or defeat?

Fade to black

Cut to theme song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enLN64YRhDs

That's some good TV! Well it's not TV, it's HBO, but still!

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

A few more hours till the ride ends

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Rewatching with the SO (who is correctly delighted by Hank) and had forgotten just how dangerously close to perfect they made everything seem after the season 1 time jump right up till Moss putting it together.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Alan Smithee posted:

the events of barry are in snowglobe imagined by karate girl

Twist: they don't make a movie about Barry, they make a TV show instead. The show we've been watching is a dramatization of the events in Barry's life.

Then we get a post credits scene of the real Barry. Played by someone like, I don't know, Tom Cruise.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Takes No Damage posted:

Man I miss that Soul sting :( Would also have been acceptable if they had done like the Invincible cartoon and just slammed to the title the first time anyone says 'Barry' each episode:

At least we got one perfect cut

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_F4nX7HVnM

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Davros1 posted:

Twist: they don't make a movie about Barry, they make a TV show instead. The show we've been watching is a dramatization of the events in Barry's life.

Then we get a post credits scene of the real Barry. Played by someone like, I don't know, Tom Cruise.

Future Man did that joke and it was hilarious. Except in Future Man, all the main characters are white and good looking while the 'real' people are revealed to be various poc.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

That was the best joke of the whole show (and I really liked Future Man)

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I really need to rewatch that, I barely remember that

I still think my favorite stuff was just wolf and tiger basically screaming quake kill streak words all the time

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Too late, I believe Future Man already left Hulu and there's no way to watch it. Yay streaming!

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah I'm specifically buying that new venture bros physical set when it comes out

I'm also going to basically give my Netflix and Hulu subs to my parents because they're going to crack down on it in some dumb attempt to gain cash, but all they're going to do is end up losing a bunch of people

I can't even think of the last time I watched anything on Netflix

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
can't watch until tomorrow night and I am in immense fear of the internet for the next 24 hours

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

gently caress a Tom cruise

Ending is it’s John Cusack’s story from Grosse point blank and he’s here to tell us about the importance of unions especially in the face of the wga and looming sag strike which with the hitmen and women stand beside

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Just a reminder, tonight Barry is a half hour later.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Dan Aykroyd rules in Grosse Point Blank (as always).

Barry finale is gonna be some good stuff

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

FireWorksWell posted:

Good cuz I’m eating lobster tails rn

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

FireWorksWell posted:

Why have you personally chosen to ruin my night, instead of letting HBO MAX take that bullet?

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

tonight, everybody gonna die

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

BARRY s4: "GUNS."