Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Vib Rib posted:

Day 1 death spirals are for sure a thing in Green Hell. Sleeping in any kind of shelter rather than the jungle floor is your #1 priority, basically.

This was like day six and I had a really good setup. I was just coming back from a long journey and saved at my shelter before realizing all the worm holes I picked out had gotten infected. I don’t have enough time to get maggots, there isn’t any molineria anywhere aside from one leaf at a point of interest, and there’s only one beehive on the way to the leaf. Oh also the fevers that keep popping up make me go insane and spawn violent tribals that somehow are able to kill me despite being imaginary. It’s a real shitshow.

I might try some cheat engine stuff before giving up on the save but all the tables I can find are for old versions. The instructions for putting the game into debug mode didn’t work, either.

The nice thing with games like this is that once you know what to do and where to go, 10 hours of playtime turns into an hour of catch-up.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 17:23 on May 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

tildes posted:

Can someone link me a good (ideally written) guide they think is a good intro to 7 days to die? In theory I feel like I should really like it but in practice I’ve really struggled to get into it.
I don't know any specific written guide, but this is what I would recommend:

Do the starting quests immediately. Seems like a no-brainer, but you get some skill points to spend right away which help immensely. You're gonna want to put at least one of those into Sexual Tyrannosaurus because your stamina is poo poo right out of the gate. No matter what kind of build you want to play, you will need more stamina.

That bedroll you made for the starting quests? Make sure to take it with you.

Head to the trader marked on the map. Hopefully it's not a klick away (I thought they were supposed to fix this but last NG I started had me 1.1km from it). Along the way loot every single pile of trash, car, bag, etc. Grab everything, even if it looks like junk. It probably IS junk, but you're just going to sell everything that isn't actually useful. You might get lucky and get a weapon or tool. At the trader, sell off all your garbage that they'll buy and grab a quest. Recommended to either do a fetch or fetch/clear. Save the buried treasure for later. If you got there early enough, you might have time to do it before nightfall. If so, then do it. If it's like 7pm, skip it for now and look around for a place to spend the night. This may or may not be a long-term place for you, but what's most important is to get safe up off the ground. The rooftop of trailers or a gas station is fine for the first night. Put down your bedroll. Make a storage chest and throw everything except the essentials into it. Unless you can cook something, just crouch down and make yourself as invisible as possible. Then go make a sandwich or load the dishwasher or do some other IRL task until morning comes.

Now that it's daylight, either do the quest you got yesterday or start heading for the trader if you weren't able to make it. Once completed go turn it in. Grind out as many of these as you can as quickly as you can. After doing 5 the trader will offer you a bicycle, which you should take so you can travel faster. Now you can actually start playing. You can also take the special job, which will give you the location of another trader. Head there if you want, but unless they're relatively close stick to the immediate area and loot, loot, loot. You'll do a lot of this while doing trader quests, but you can also just enter a building and kill everything and take the stash.

7DTD has a robust (if clunky) building system, but up until the first horde night it's best to just take over an existing POI and make that your home. Secure it from zombies aka fix any holes in the walls, board up the windows, etc. POIs will have cabinets and places to store your stuff. I try to stay relatively close to the trader just for simplicity's sake. Some people like to combine their horde base and living area, but I'm of the "don't poo poo where you eat" philosophy. Either way, don't worry about the horde base until day 6. Just keep doing jobs, killing zombies, and looting/selling everything that's not immediately useful.

If you have airdrops turned on, those will come every 3 days on default and drop within about 700 yards of your current position. If you've gone loving off into the wilds, then they may end up very far from home. But keep an eye out for them - sometimes they have great stuff and sometimes it's poo poo but anything you don't want you can sell.

On day 6 it's time to start thinking about your horde base. For the first one, you can build something very simple, like a couple of blocks in stair formation and a walkway. Put up a hatch to keep the zombies away and then melee/shoot them. Reinforce to at least wood, cobblestone isn't really needed at this point unless you have a lot of materials. The first horde should only last until about midnight or so. You can also use an existing POI - anything that forces them to a chokepoint that you can block off is good. Think walkways and ladders. You can use this starter for at least 2 or 3 hordes, depending on how fast you level up or how well you made it if you went from scratch. If you built a simple walkway then upgrade it to cobble.

Builds: While these are entirely dependent on how you like to play, some are easier than others.

Strength is a good starter, but if you're new I'd spec into clubs and not skullcrusher. The sledgehammer can be devastating but it's tricky to get the timing down and is a huge stamina hog. Clubs are very good, quick, don't use a lot of stamina, etc. Strength weirdly also governs cooking. Some people are content to just eat whatever they find and maybe put a point into cooking so they can boil meat, but high-tier foods give a lot of health and bonuses. Strength covers shotguns, and the pump and auto shotty are quite good. Also Sexy T-Rex for stamina. No matter what build you probably want at least a couple of points there. Also at least 1 into Miner 69'er because you need resources.

Intellect is another thing you want to put at least a few points into unless you want to depend on RNG for everything. Making a forge and workbench are pretty much mandatory IMO. You can't craft better weapons without them. You can also get into robotics which is very helpful when playing solo. Have a junk turret or sledge turret on you and it's like having another player to help when poo poo gets heavy. Batons can be fun if you want a quicker melee and electrocuting things and using traps on your base can make things much easier as you get into crazier horde nights. Plus unless you have a shitload of money it's quicker to craft your own vehicles than buy them. Low on ammo? Just make some! Daring Adventurer will let you take multiple rewards from quests at high level. Better Barter isn't really needed, since you can eat candy or drink Awesome Sauce (or both) and use the points elsewhere.

Fortitude for resiliency and machine guns. Don't wanna melee? Then get an M60 and shoot the world. Also punchyfists, but that's more advanced. If you have a spare point or two it never hurts to have extra healing.

Agility: Not recommended for new players, but put at least a couple points into parkour. That extra jump height can save your rear end many times over. Pistols can do good damage, but limited ammo capacity can get you into trouble when you're deep in the poo poo. This is the attribute for stabby weapons. A point in sneaking is a good investment. Bows are good for sneak damage when clearing out POIs and absolutely useless on horde nights. Crossbows are super good for stealth, a decent one can one-shot headshot a lot of enemies.

Perception: Spears are bad, don't do it. However, blowing poo poo up is fun. Maybe a couple points into this category. Salvage operations so you can craft a wrench and hammer to make the workbench if you can't find them until your loot stage gets high enough for good ones. Don't bother with Lucky Looter or Treasure Hunter - you can find goggles that give you a boost without having to spend points. The bonus from points isn't really useful until your loot stage is super high.

If you want to watch videos I recommend Glock9, Guns Nerds N' Steel, and Neebs Gaming. G9 plays mostly vanilla, GNS mostly plays overhaul mods and does super crazy base building, and Neebs is just some friends playing doing stupid poo poo but having a good time. There's also a dedicated 7DTD thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3597545 where you can ask questions and stuff. Since A21 is due any time now I think most people are kind of waiting for that to drop instead of playing but I'd be willing to run around with you for a bit. There's also a goon server but last time I tried to log in it was down, probably also in preparation for A21.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
A pretty important thing to point out with 7 Days is that the Horde Night/Blood Moon mechanic is completely optional and while it forces a lot of very specific gameplay from you, it is also something you can turn off and the game is completely fine without it. I try to spell this out because it's a huge gimmick and probably turns off some percentage of new players, so keep in mind it's still a good game without it.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

Flesh Forge posted:

h 7 Days is that the Horde Night/Blood Moon mechanic is completely optional

You might be responsible for me entirely reconsidering my position on 7DtD with this post. I’ll consider it next sale/itchy wallet.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Yeah I play with it disabled and instead have stuff like larger general zombie count and large random wandering hordes that play by the regular rules, I really dislike the whole Blood Moon mechanic and how it obsoletes stealth and forces dumb AI pathing exploit gameplay and the game is still very good without that stuff.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

7dtd vanilla base game is pretty easy and limited in scope. the game shines with the overhaul mods like Darkness Falls

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I mean, that's fair, but what it does well it does VERY well (all the hand-crafted Points of Interest) and it has immense replay value if you appreciate that FPS dungeon crawl gameplay at all. The big overhaul mods tend to complexify crafting way more than I'm interested in but that's me :shrug:

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

yeah don't get me wrong, I like it, I'm alt-tabbed from a 7dtd DF game with friends right now. DF has a ton more new handcrafted PoI brought in from other mod packs if that's your jam. crafting in it is slower than vanilla but not too complicated really

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

re: State of Decay 2, that Heart Attack update where plague hearts have an aggressive mode and they rain poo poo on your base continuously .... god that's hard, trying to play it on Dread difficulty and with just one awake on day 8 or so it feels like I'm losing ground trying to maintain 3 outposts, and I just managed to wake up a second. I don't like it very much, it doesn't feel like there's enough time to do anything besides coping with the constant infestation hordes and siege infestations.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Don't need DF for extra pois, the compopack has a ton of em (even if it's a bit of a mixed bag)

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
For me it's not the POIs that make DF interesting, it's that the base game gets a little easy and the progression gets a little shallow once you know precisely what you're doing and the new stuff that DF adds in both fleshes out the character progression a lot and also adds a lot more enemies to keep up with that new progression.

Notably it does this in a way that it feels like the new stuff and power they give to the player mostly keeps up with the new enemies, rather than simply just being an enormous difficulty jump. I'm not really interested in a hyper hard mode like some mods offer, just a deeper experience, which I feel like DF provides reasonably well.

The only thing I feel that is ludicrously tuned in DF are the blood moons.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Is DF the one that randomly locks doors in POIs and makes you break through them?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Honestly, I don't remember because I tend to approach POIs like a shotgun-wielding kool aid man to begin with even in the vanilla game. Why should I walk 15 feet to a door? I'll just make my own. :v:

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

Kanos posted:

Honestly, I don't remember because I tend to approach POIs like a shotgun-wielding kool aid man to begin with even in the vanilla game. Why should I walk 15 feet to a door? I'll just make my own. :v:

You are a monster. Every time someone just cheats and cuts a hole through a wall it hurts my soul a little.

But no, I like going along the "prescribed path" of POI's myself, helps to make sure you don't miss anything while only having to make one pass.

I think it was DF that randomly locked doors though, and yeah, that was a huge downside for me at least, since it would heavily confuse the main path in allot of POI's.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

that is one of the coolest things about 7 Days in general, while almost all the POIs have a dungeon crawl path you're encouraged to take, if you really just feel like being Snake Plissken and blasting holes through walls you can do that and it's fine

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Jawnycat posted:

You are a monster. Every time someone just cheats and cuts a hole through a wall it hurts my soul a little.

But no, I like going along the "prescribed path" of POI's myself, helps to make sure you don't miss anything while only having to make one pass.

I think it was DF that randomly locked doors though, and yeah, that was a huge downside for me at least, since it would heavily confuse the main path in allot of POI's.

I also drill open strongboxes in DF.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I loved 7DTD, thought it was great. Currently waiting on the new alpha to drop. Is there any point in playing the Darkness Falls mod or should I just wait another two weeks max for the new alpha?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

If you want to play right now, no reason to not try out Darkness Falls to see if you like it. It's almost definitely going to be broken for a little bit after the new alpha comes out.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

7DTD also happens to be on gamepass right now, so I don't have to 'wait on sale' to find out.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

nice!

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

LordSloth posted:

7DTD also happens to be on gamepass right now, so I don't have to 'wait on sale' to find out.

The 7DTD on console is running A15 and is old as gently caress. They're planning on updating the console version to A21 but it will be a paid DLC. No idea if the gamepass version will be updated to A21 when that happens.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Flesh Forge posted:

re: State of Decay 2, that Heart Attack update where plague hearts have an aggressive mode and they rain poo poo on your base continuously .... god that's hard, trying to play it on Dread difficulty and with just one awake on day 8 or so it feels like I'm losing ground trying to maintain 3 outposts, and I just managed to wake up a second. I don't like it very much, it doesn't feel like there's enough time to do anything besides coping with the constant infestation hordes and siege infestations.

Sounds like you aren't using outpost defenses. When you open the menu for an outpost there is a watchtower icon that lets you set proximity mines that insta kill all zombies in a huge radius around the outpost, it costs a bit of fuel and ammo but it lasts an hour and a half. Set those up on any roads leading to your base and congratulations, you will literally never have a siege again. Some bases you can just do one outpost across the street and you're good. The mines literally kill everything, even plague juggernauts. Absolutely essential and hilarious to watch.

E: also if it's just one plague heart, go kill it! You can kill your first heart on dread with just a couple stacks of soda can bombs or pipe bombs that you can make in the workshop. You will probably get some really good loot out of it too.

Gadzuko fucked around with this message at 18:56 on May 28, 2023

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Yeah I'm on about my 5th heart now and it's much harder to kill one without getting dogpiled immediately. I haven't gotten used to outpost defenses yet, I seem to have enough fuel income to be able to keep 1-2 of those up, thanks.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Canuckistan posted:

The 7DTD on console is running A15 and is old as gently caress. They're planning on updating the console version to A21 but it will be a paid DLC. No idea if the gamepass version will be updated to A21 when that happens.

on PC and gamepass is 20.7

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Flesh Forge posted:

Yeah I'm on about my 5th heart now and it's much harder to kill one without getting dogpiled immediately. I haven't gotten used to outpost defenses yet, I seem to have enough fuel income to be able to keep 1-2 of those up, thanks.

Ah, yeah around the halfway point those hearts start to get beefy. Bringing a follower will take some of the heat off, but hefty explosives and high caliber gun spam are pretty much required for killing the last few hearts.

Also, something I didn't know for a long time is that hearts have a hidden 'alpha strike' immunity that caps the amount of damage they can receive in a short period (like a few frames or 1 second maybe). So don't waste all your c4 trying to stack it up and do a ton of damage up front, you have to at least slightly stagger your damage or it will get lost to the cap.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

re: SoD2, so you can queue outpost defenses from anywhere at any time, for some reason I was thinking you had to physically go to the outpost to click the button :kiddo:

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

LordSloth posted:

You might be responsible for me entirely reconsidering my position on 7DtD with this post. I’ll consider it next sale/itchy wallet.

The thing with blood moons is that you don’t really have to be anywhere near your base when they occur. I’m not sure if you dislike them *entirely*, but I find them much more enjoyable when you do them in some disposable POI instead of making a land stand at your own house.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
The generally accepted "meta" is you have a place where you live that's all nice, and a gimmick pathing exploit base in the middle of nowhere you drive to on horde night

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Azhais posted:

The generally accepted "meta" is you have a place where you live that's all nice, and a gimmick pathing exploit base in the middle of nowhere you drive to on horde night
And the meta gimmick isn't "super armored, fortified base reinforced with traps and turrets" but something that just exploits their pathfinding.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Honestly, my friends and I just bricked up a house outside one of the small towns and would walk over to the big oil tanks during horde night. Zombies don't understand architecture so they'll break through the walls in a couple places, understand that they can path inside easily without further breaking anything and then just sort of mill in/out/around until sunrise. The worst you have to worry about is occasionally skeeting down a vulture and rebuilding the ladder when it's over.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Spanish Matlock posted:

Honestly, my friends and I just bricked up a house outside one of the small towns and would walk over to the big oil tanks during horde night. Zombies don't understand architecture so they'll break through the walls in a couple places, understand that they can path inside easily without further breaking anything and then just sort of mill in/out/around until sunrise. The worst you have to worry about is occasionally skeeting down a vulture and rebuilding the ladder when it's over.
Yes I would say that probably qualifies as "exploiting their pathfinding".

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Vib Rib posted:

Yes I would say that probably qualifies as "exploiting their pathfinding".

Sure, my point was that we didn't build any special device to achieve this feat and needed only a naturally occurring big fat cylinder to completely trivialize horde night.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

That cylinder is probably an indestructable bit of terrain. Zombies will absolutely smash down any destructable structure that you're hiding on top of during horde nights, if they can.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

not that I'm disagreeing about what you're saying in general, but there isn't any indestructible terrain except stuff around the trader bases and the bedrock, and you can't leverage that during horde nights. There is a pathing cost analysis though and zombies will prefer to take the "easiest" path to you and if they can't reach you by walking an open path yes they will definitely dig one out (or more likely, more than one) - but they do sometimes consider unwalkable space as an option for pathing (e.g. you can place wedge blocks or corner bars and they will attempt to path over them and fall). If you are off the ground like up on a water tower, it would not surprise me if there are cases where they will like, knock one leg off the tower and not recognize the other legs of the tower as possible routes up. e: or heck maybe even no legs

again, poo poo like this is why I dislike the blood moon mechanic and would just as soon not bother with it, either you thoroughly exploit it and it's pretty much a shooting gallery or you have some failure to anticipate the AI and it's a bit hectic but the next blood moon you've built the workaround to defeat the pathing as usual

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

or just be normals and build a stronghold with a ramp coming up to the single entry and shoot zombies on ramp coming at you. just have fun?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

pmchem posted:

or just be normals and build a stronghold with a ramp coming up to the single entry and shoot zombies on ramp coming at you. just have fun?
Yeah I made a single stairway that zombies always climb up and repeatedly knock them down with clubs or guns. It's incredibly easy, even like 12+ blood moons in, just not very fun.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Azhais posted:

This is a weird plot for a serial killer movie

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Kanos posted:

That cylinder is probably an indestructable bit of terrain. Zombies will absolutely smash down any destructable structure that you're hiding on top of during horde nights, if they can.

Nah it's (and this might not work anymore but I doubt it) the big cylindrical oil tanks. Zombies can and will smash all sorts of holes in the bottom, but once they have there's no reason for them to continue smashing, since holes exist and they can path to the other side. So, while you end up with four or five different holes they never actually smash enough of it for it to collapse. There's a ladder inside that they can climb up single file to the top until one of them inevitably smashes the bottom of it. There might be a specific thing going on with the geometry of the oil tanks that fucks up their pathfinding but we used it for several blood moons in a row and it never got demolished.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Kanos posted:

a shotgun-wielding kool aid man

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
green hell was a lot of fun until about 70% when it just took us away from our base forever to wander in a straight line through a bunch of unfamiliar jungles