Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!

jeez those load times are bad, RIP console players

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Lol that Dee Jay’s weird level one super where he just kicks you is called The Greatest Sobat

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
no lies detected

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Less than a week to go. :negative: Next weekend is going to be exciting for gaming time.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Why couldn't this come out on my three day weekend?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Professor Wayne posted:

Right? Such a weird weekend to skip.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Professor Wayne posted:

right????

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Tiger Millionaire posted:

jeez those load times are bad, RIP console players

wtf that can't be console load time, can it? PS5 has an nvme drive

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Phenotype posted:

wtf that can't be console load time, can it? PS5 has an nvme drive

i assume its ps4 with hdd

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
I played a bit of the open beta on PS5 and load times seemed fine.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
I'm not one for posting fan art, but goddamn is this gorgeous:

https://twitter.com/eyyojimbo/status/1662511177396789250

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Summer fun with the Chun.

Speaking of controls, how would you handle people hitting the auto combo button? Assuming you don't actually know many combos yet.

Or maybe I should try modern too so I can do an auto combo fight fire vs fire, keeping it versatile. I liked how KoF has had the auto combo button in general, I think it might as well be an option on classic controls here too.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
If they also do not know combos either, it's a good chance they aren't thinking about halting their combo before it finishes. Therefore, the best opportunity is probably to hold parry and then take advantage of them at the end of the auto combo, or, if you're feeling saucy, drive impact the last hit of the auto combo for guaranteed hit. (as opposed to drive impacting earlier, where you might get hit out of it before it lands)

And if you're really feeling yourself, do the same, but with a jab, and then go into your own combo.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 06:43 on May 28, 2023

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

SwissArmyDruid posted:

If they also do not know combos either, it's a good chance they aren't thinking about halting their combo before it finishes. Therefore, the best opportunity is probably to hold parry and then take advantage of them at the end of the auto combo, or, if you're feeling saucy, drive impact the last hit of the auto combo for guaranteed hit. (as opposed to drive impacting earlier, where you might get hit out of it before it lands)

And if you're really feeling yourself, do the same, but with a jab, and then go into your own combo.

Thanks! So if I recall they include supers in the auto center combo and hit confirm etc, so I guess my thought is them starting it and then me getting hit by those follow ups. If they do it a lot predictably I could parry, and I guess I'd have to try and see what the auto combo starters look like for characters I'm fighting, and remember those.

Would doing a drive impact right away instead not be a bad idea as well? Also if they keep an auto combo going for a couple hits I could block one then drive impact or something like that? I forget if the auto combo button automatically stops if the first hit is blocked or not.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Heavy Metal posted:

Thanks! So if I recall they include supers in the auto center combo and hit confirm etc, so I guess my thought is them starting it and then me getting hit by those follow ups. If they do it a lot predictably I could parry, and I guess I'd have to try and see what the auto combo starters look like for characters I'm fighting, and remember those.

Would doing a drive impact right away instead not be a bad idea as well? Also if they keep an auto combo going for a couple hits I could block one then drive impact or something like that? I forget if the auto combo button automatically stops if the first hit is blocked or not.

https://twitter.com/Diaphone_/status/1653875240831791110

Dicking around in garbo tier like me, I'm not drive impacting until they're a few hits into the auto combo, because DI has two hits of armor, right? So if you have two hits of armor, and they only have one or two buttons left in the combo, how can they break DI by hitting you out of it unless they're NOT spamming the autocombo button, and therefore take appropriate counter action?

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 07:42 on May 28, 2023

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Just lol if you can't do this.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

You may not agree with it, but this is what the peak male body looks like.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

SwissArmyDruid posted:

https://twitter.com/Diaphone_/status/1653875240831791110

Dicking around in garbo tier like me, I'm not drive impacting until they're a few hits into the auto combo, because DI has two hits of armor, right? So if you have two hits of armor, and they only have one or two buttons left in the combo, how can they break DI by hitting you out of it unless they're NOT spamming the autocombo button, and therefore take appropriate counter action?

Right on, thanks for the info. I'm messing around in the demo with Ryu in modern controls to see more of what those assist options are like.

So I find doing a drive reversal after parrying something does little to no damage and sends them across the screen, so that's usually not the best I guess? If I'm parrying a couple hits I guess I should throw a move out after? I should practice parrying more.

During the beta it was fun randomly throwing drive impacts out there though. Doing it mid blocking a combo sounds like a good idea too.

On auto combos hit confirming, I guess what I mean is say Ryu's heavy assist button auto combo. If it hits it'll continue hitting until it does a shin Shoryuken too. I haven't seen it do the Shin Shoryuken and have that get blocked or something, so I thought that meant it's hit confirming, if I'm using the term right there. So I'm guessing every assist R2 button auto combo including a super hit confirms etc.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 08:14 on May 28, 2023

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Heavy Metal posted:

So I find doing a drive reversal after parrying something does little to no damage and sends them across the screen, so that's usually not the best I guess? If I'm parrying a couple hits I guess I should throw a move out after? I should practice parrying more.

Drive reversal is the alpha counter/guard cancel/v-reversal mechanic, you use it to get the opponent off of you for 2 bars. Regular parry automatically blocks both high and low but you can't act out of it except drive reversal or drive rush afaik and it puts you in a recovery state. If you're looking to poke through the gaps in their offense, better to block regularly.

Heavy Metal posted:

On auto combos hit confirming, I guess what I mean is say Ryu's heavy assist button auto combo. If it hits it'll continue hitting until it does a shin Shoryuken too. I haven't seen it do the Shin Shoryuken and have that get blocked or something, so I thought that meant it's hit confirming, if I'm using the term right there. So I'm guessing every assist R2 button auto combo including a super hit confirms etc.

Isn't that what Diaphone is talking about? The super will auto hitconfirm but they're still doing the whole string up to that including an ex special.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Arzachel posted:

If you're looking to poke through the gaps in their offense, better to block regularly.

Unless you're baller enough to perfect parry because then you can interrupt offense that you otherwise wouldn't be able to.

Exo-
Dec 8, 2021

Smiling at this silly animation before it can give me trauma.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Did Zangief get to keep his SFV Horizontally-Angled Kick-Based Attack Counter?

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 12:11 on May 28, 2023

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

He did yes

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

Jack Trades posted:

It wouldn't be Zangief without Tundra Storm.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Does anyone know if there's a vod of Tokido taking down that Topanga tournament that just finished?

pizzabutt
Jul 19, 2022

Jack Trades posted:

They made it able to counter more types of kicks and it can even counter kick based drive impacts like Cammy's I think

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011

fadam posted:

Does anyone know if there's a vod of Tokido taking down that Topanga tournament that just finished?

https://twitch.tv/videos/1831247178

youtube vod:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VB_t7Ajsbws

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

God bless

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

pizzabutt posted:

They made it able to counter more types of kicks and it can even counter kick based drive impacts like Cammy's I think

Yeah, it's a lot more kicks, but still not every single one. I think youtube has video that shows how a Dhalsim st.MK won't be caught, but a st.HK will.

edit: I may have misremembered a rooflemonger speculation video that Tundra Storm might be better than before.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 17:21 on May 28, 2023

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

What's gonna be the noob friendly character in the base game that is not a charge or shoto, I actually managed to get to plat with Ed on SF5 but he was easy mode, just won on pure anti air dmg most fights.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Ulio posted:

What's gonna be the noob friendly character in the base game that is not a charge or shoto, I actually managed to get to plat with Ed on SF5 but he was easy mode, just won on pure anti air dmg most fights.

I'd guess Marisa or Lily.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
marisa

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
With flaming Canadians and such :(
Lily seems pretty easy

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Lily will absolutely be THE gorilla of SF6.
T.Hawk could already win by rolling his face across the buttons and Lily is way more juiced up.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Marisa, Lily.

Lily is starting to look like the second coming of TOTSUGEKI.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
lily does seem to require 360s to be particularly threatening, which aren't the hardest thing in the world but if you're looking for a character you just win with pressing buttons she may not be the easiest.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Countblanc posted:

lily does seem to require 360s to be particularly threatening, which aren't the hardest thing in the world but if you're looking for a character you just win with pressing buttons she may not be the easiest.

Just play Modern.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
does anyone have a link to the various character discords? i saw one for gief and marisa already so i assume they exist for everyone at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

man I miss the days of just having character threads