Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

wouldnt that mean in the case of a natural disaster the states coffers would be wiped out paying insurance claims leaving it unable to spend money on rebuilding infrastructure and supporting people displaced or in need of aid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Where's the problem? Sounds like you don't own an insurance company

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

celadon posted:

wouldnt that mean in the case of a natural disaster the states coffers would be wiped out paying insurance claims leaving it unable to spend money on rebuilding infrastructure and supporting people displaced or in need of aid
think of all the opportunities for private investment this will bring!

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

celadon posted:

Now you're catching on!

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Jort Fortress posted:

State Farm no longer accepting new property insurance policies in CA due to "rapidly growing catastrophe exposure":

https://www.ocregister.com/2023/05/26/state-farm-says-no-new-property-insurance-clients-in-california/

drat, the entire state? Things must be getting pretty bad out there!

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Just a Moron posted:

drat, the entire state? Things must be getting pretty bad out there!

well that’s why it’s kinda interesting because it’s not yet. the most notable was Paradise and some Sonoma county burning down but compared to the whole state is like 0.000001% of housing that’s been lost. so actually things are still pretty good and hasn’t really been big disasters

however, future conditions are expected to get worse due to climate change

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

All that's going to happen is the barrens gets spilt into two zones and we get flying mounts

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Xaris posted:

well that’s why it’s kinda interesting because it’s not yet. the most notable was Paradise and some Sonoma county burning down but compared to the whole state is like 0.000001% of housing that’s been lost. so actually things are still pretty good and hasn’t really been big disasters

The only people that matter (rich people) were/are in the affected counties, hence the wholesale withdrawal.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

celadon posted:

sounds like the joke’s on you, because they already don’t spend money on that!

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

Crazypoops posted:

All that's going to happen is the barrens gets spilt into two zones and we get flying mounts

turns out mankirks dead wife was mother earth herself

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Why am I not surprised a senior editor at the economist is hated by his barber?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
He looks like :yohoho: but hair instead of bone

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

i mean you show up at the economist ball and how are you supposed to stand out, every third guy's in a bowtie

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Real talk for a second: The main argument against the federal government providing the option to buy goods and services through them is that the federal government can undercut private businesses. But, I’m the example of Florida and California; private businesses have left the market, leaving everyone with no options to purchase mandatory insurance.

What’s the argument now? Other than “government bad?”

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Xaris posted:

correct, the end-state of all these insurance companies making big splashes is for florida or feds or ca government to step in and give them billions of dollars to "shore up the insurance industrial complex"

the end-goal is they want any declared State of Emergencies insurance to be paid for by taxpayers instead of their corporate funds, while reaping in profits under "normal conditions"

y'all are going to get universal property insurance before universal public health insurance. lol. lmao.

:patriot:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

MightyBigMinus posted:

i mean you show up at the economist ball and how are you supposed to stand out, every third guy's in a bowtie

The brightest economist would simply pay every third guy not to show up in a bow tie. In chapter 4 of Freakonomics,

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

MightyBigMinus posted:

I'd recommend wearing something ... unorthodox!

Hit Man
Mar 6, 2008

I hope after I die people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

1500 climate activists terrorists arrested in Netherlands

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-65735289

quote:

Among those at Saturday's protest were several Dutch celebrities, including actress Carice van Houten, known for playing Melisandre in TV series Game of Thrones. She was arrested but later allowed to return home, Dutch news agency ANP said.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Cold on a Cob posted:

y'all are going to get universal property insurance before universal public health insurance. lol. lmao.

property is more valuable and important than human lives, makes sense.

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

FlapYoJacks posted:

Real talk for a second: The main argument against the federal government providing the option to buy goods and services through them is that the federal government can undercut private businesses. But, I’m the example of Florida and California; private businesses have left the market, leaving everyone with no options to purchase mandatory insurance.

don't forget louisiana

Here are the Louisiana insurers that have gone broke or left the state amid deepening crisis

Louisiana faces an insurance crisis, leaving people afraid they can’t afford their homes

as for your question...idk, “government bad?” was a bad faith argument by capital looking to own/gently caress everything. if its played out they'll just move onto something else to rile people up (moral hazard? sustainability?).

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

FlapYoJacks posted:

the argument now is lol thanks for the money we're leaving now, you're on your own, maybe you should have made better choices, and you can always just leave if you want :wave:

classical economists tried to make the argument that government should be responsible for the provision of public goods through natural monopolies, from healthcare to housing, back in the 19th century ... to improve the efficiency of capitalism

and now after 30+ years of uncontested rent-seeking neoliberalism, here we are

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Heatwave unveils ancient settlements in Wales

before we all die we will be able to see the spectres of our ancestors weeping for rain

OIL PANIC
Dec 22, 2022

CAUTIONS
4. ... (If the battery is exhausted, the display of the liquid crystal will become vague and difficult to look at.)
7. Do not use volatile oils such as thinner or benzine and alcohol for wiping.

bugs shmugs

Soggy Muffin
Jul 29, 2003

Xaris posted:

I think their risk accessors and AI data crunchers told them it’s best to get out of that market now with this looming El Niño coming in

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Soggy Muffin posted:

I think their risk accessors and AI data crunchers told them it’s best to get out of that market now with this looming El Niño coming in
well, not sure about this El Nino in particular because the amount of new insurees isn't going up that much this year, especially with sales super low right now, and like 99% of their insurees are still grandfathered-in existing agreements.

but yes i think with risk assessment, the writing is on the wall that while it's probably not immediate, it's better to wind down liabilities now for 10-30 years down the road.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

celadon posted:

Crazypoops posted:

turns out mankirks dead wife was mother earth herself

:five:

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

coke posted:

good news guys

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Cold on a Cob posted:

uh yeah i dont see why this would be surprising to anybody. have you been living under a rock? anyone who follows the news at all should know that property > public health in America.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
emphasizing a funny thing doesn't mean i didn't see the funny thing coming or am naive about the situation

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
https://edition.cnn.com/2023/05/27/world/meteorologists-conspiracy-harassment-abuse-climate-intl/index.html

have any wingnuts taken a shot at a meteorologist or climatologist yet?

e: archived copy: https://archive.is/Qm3RG

Cold on a Cob has issued a correction as of 12:42 on May 28, 2023

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
They fixed the biosphere right? No more exponential increases in carbon output?

Puppy Burner
Sep 9, 2011

ikanreed posted:

They fixed the biosphere right? No more exponential increases in carbon output?

Yeah, finished up this morning

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I was really starting to get worried.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Puppy Burner posted:

Yeah, finished up this morning

This post sponsored by ExxonMobile

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Owlbear Camus posted:

I was really starting to get worried.

electric cars :)

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002

cash crab posted:

electric cars :)

Prius goes fast now, climate change is over. :cheersbird:

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

I'm trying to explain to a friend about how the IPCC are super hosed up. Created by Ronald Reagan, lead by people whose qualifications are in Economics or Engineering etc, and whose previous work experience is in working for Exxon-Mobil.

Does anyone have sources or information that can help me in this? Beyond the obvious stuff that's on the IPCC Wikipedia article. More about how they've been captured by Capital at every stage since.

Brendan Rodgers has issued a correction as of 22:39 on May 28, 2023

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Brendan Rodgers posted:

I'm trying to explain to a friend about how the IPCC are super hosed up. Created by Ronald Reagan, lead by people whose qualifications are in Economics or Engineering etc, and whose previous work experience is in working for Exxon-Mobil.

Does anyone have sources or information that can help me in this? Beyond the obvious stuff that's on the IPCC Wikipedia article. More about how they've been captured by Capital at every stage since.

I think you need to slice this carefully.

The IPCC climate science is amazing, it truly is one of the greatest scientific endeavors ever attempted. The underlying science is strong and as much as this thread loves to pretend otherwise, the actual scientific claims are matching our reality.

The politicization comes in from how questions are framed and which sections get elevated to the Summary for Policymakers and thus get reported to the media at all.

Like deep in the reports they say many of the things this thread believes but those conclusions don’t make it to the SFP. Like they say our current societies cannot continue to exist and we must transform faster than human history if we want their successors to survive. They say that market solutions can’t solve climate change. They even say one of the best case scenarios is that mass heat death in enough wealthy countries is one of our best options for actually kicking off meaningful change. None of that makes it into the headlines about the IPCC.

The COPs are the political process where they fight on which parts of the science to bury and which they want to cherry-pick and promote.

As far as drilling into the ways the political process obscures the science, there’s a good twitter thread someone posted a while back about the very specific demands each country’s political delegation demanded during the last round of negotiations. In particular the rich countries stalled the debate long enough that the delegates from the poor countries couldn’t afford to stay so they left and wow what do you know the rich countries got their agenda approved lol.

Trabisnikof has issued a correction as of 23:08 on May 28, 2023

Noosphere
Aug 31, 2008

[[[error]]] Damn not found.

Hit Man posted:

1500 climate activists terrorists arrested in Netherlands

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-65735289

In a similar vein :

https://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/sci-tech/climate-activists-protest-private-jets-at-geneva-airport/48534374

It took less than 24 hours for all 103 activists terrorists to be convicted of trespassing, damaging property, and coercing. For the right cause, the wheels of justice turn quickly indeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

Brendan Rodgers posted:

the ipcc is good and you are a dumbass making poo poo up