Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Chalks posted:

The holy war part is a little creepy, but what ever gets the job done I guess. It's incredible to live in a time where participants in a war release trailers for their upcoming offensives.

Propaganda movies aren't exactly a novel invention.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrkIM5CObC0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ngETXxI5pg

Still waiting for Ukrainian propagandists to start drumming for post-war protectionism, though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlZHvh-tOQg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

This got buried a bit in the other talk which is a shame because it's some really neat stuff. It's a pretty forward-thinking initiative to begin with but actively pushing it in the middle of a war and even integrating wartime functionality into the app is a hell of a thing. Digitizing bureaucracy is also an interesting way of cutting out corruption - harder to do meaningful winks and nods or subtle cash handovers via e-mail, I guess. Also has some interesting implications for post-war Ukraine - making it easier and more convenient to file for a new business, for instance, or for government assistance in wartime rebuilding could actually go a fair ways in making post-war recovery go better.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
Really not a fan of "god-given land" rhetoric. I hear holy wars don't have the greatest track record of resolving in a timely fashion.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Fidelitious posted:

Really not a fan of "god-given land" rhetoric. I hear holy wars don't have the greatest track record of resolving in a timely fashion.

yea it's very concerning the Ukrainians didn't use the exact correct wording in their video about taking back occupied land from an invading fascist dictatorship.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

"There is no force in the world that can stop this nation from achieving its UN mandated goal of living free on its 1994 Budapest Memorandum given land" doesn't have the same ring on it.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

all propaganda is cringe

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Very concerned that Ukrainians plan to kill their invaders. I honestly don't know if I can continue to support them after this. Do better.

In all seriousness, given the text at the end, could it just be a recruitment video?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
It's inescapable that WWII is the reference point for a just war against an aggressor. Just like Russia, the one war Ukraine knows and remembers as holy is WWII, and a lot of propaganda points and iconography are lifted from that period, although in Ukraine's case it's now less explicit, even if more warranted. Holy War (Священная война) is probably the most recognisable wartime song, and in February 2022 it was even in rotation on Ukrainian TV over haphazardly edited footage of the full-scale invasion.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

beer_war posted:

In all seriousness, given the text at the end, could it just be a recruitment video?

It is, I don't know why people think it is an ad for the offensive

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Storkrasch posted:

It's interesting speaking to Russians in the west about this, because every single opposition politician except their favourite is controlled opposition. There's this paranoia where depending on who you speak to, Navalny, Sobchak (reasonable arguments here, maybe), Yashin, Kara-Murza, Roizman, Katz etc are all either controlled by Putin, or the person who will save Russian democracy.

It's clearly an effective strategy, which seems to manage to depoliticise Russians even when they're outside of the grasp of the regime. The incessant infighting and accusations of corruption etc also means you can never build a coalition, because nobody trusts anyone.

Ukrainians I've spoken to have no interest at all in cooperating with them either, and usually for quite understandable reasons. There's no sense of having a common enemy, at least not from what I've heard.

Of course Ukranians have no interest when Russian opposition abroad still somehow manage to produce amazing takes about "our boys" and how "the moral thing to do is to donate to both sides" (???). The latter one could have been trolling or psyop but it stirred the poo poo up well and good.

Anyway, there are fairly regular blunders from the "good russians" as they call themselves, about either "our boys" or inferiority of post-soviet republics and when everone yells at them its the same old song how stressful it is to be RU opposition and can't a person make a teensy mistake after opposing Putin so much??

HDC
Mar 11, 2006

Sekenr posted:

Anyway, there are fairly regular blunders from the "good russians" as they call themselves, about either "our boys" or inferiority of post-soviet republics and when everone yells at them its the same old song how stressful it is to be RU opposition and can't a person make a teensy mistake after opposing Putin so much??
I don’t think anybody unironically calls himself a “good russian”, if at all

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/MT_Anderson/status/1662199951596883968

The Ivan Khurs, the Russian ship attacked by several drones recently, is back in her normal berth apparently without visible damage

poor waif
Apr 8, 2007
Kaboom

HDC posted:

I don’t think anybody unironically calls himself a “good russian”, if at all

Kasparov and others were proposing a special visa scheme where if you could be shown to be a "good Russian"/"European Russian" (паспорт хорошего русского) you would be able to travel to the EU easier, rather than having blanket bans on Russian citizens. It required filling out a form where you'd say that Crimea was Ukraine, the war is bad, etc.

Not sure that "good Russian" was what they actually wanted to call it, but it was what people were calling it when they were discussing it afterwards, at least.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Storkrasch posted:

It required filling out a form where you'd say that Crimea was Ukraine, the war is bad, etc.

Doesn't sound like a trap at all

poor waif
Apr 8, 2007
Kaboom

FuturePastNow posted:

Doesn't sound like a trap at all

The idea was that you'd burn bridges with the Putin regime, and get advantages when travelling/fleeing out of Russia. I think. My experience is that Kasparov is kind of a doofus politically.

HDC
Mar 11, 2006

Storkrasch posted:

Not sure that "good Russian" was what they actually wanted to call it, but it was what people were calling it when they were discussing it afterwards, at least.
Yeah, the idea was widely mocked immediately and the term was coined in the process of said mocking.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

fatherboxx posted:

It is, I don't know why people think it is an ad for the offensive

It's weird as all the major news outlet don't seem to mention the ending text

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Willo567 posted:

It's weird as all the major news outlet don't seem to mention the ending text

Things can be multiple things at once, though.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

fatherboxx posted:

Yeah, he is very weird, has a pet toad and a map of divided Russia in the cabinet and leans heavily into his meme status of a man who is behind every fire or crash in Russia and occupied territories. Uncommon to have an intelligence guy in a such public position, but Ukraine has been writing the new playbook for doing the media game, so maybe it is worth it. Its gonna be some time before it gets clear if his command over HUR got tangible results or if it is mostly smoke.
It makes sense that governments are starting to catch up with Goonswarm's techniques.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

fatherboxx posted:

Yeah, he is very weird, has a pet toad and a map of divided Russia in the cabinet and leans heavily into his meme status of a man who is behind every fire or crash in Russia and occupied territories. Uncommon to have an intelligence guy in a such public position, but Ukraine has been writing the new playbook for doing the media game, so maybe it is worth it. Its gonna be some time before it gets clear if his command over HUR got tangible results or if it is mostly smoke.

Try as I might I cannot picture, say, George Smiley posting a photo of his lighter on Twitter with a bunch of :elon: emojis underneath it.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Try as I might I cannot picture, say, George Smiley posting a photo of his lighter on Twitter with a bunch of :elon: emojis underneath it.

"They've turned the Discord inside out!"

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I think George HW Bush was fairly public when he was in charge of CIA, but probably not to the point of dropping Operation Condor jokes.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

fatherboxx posted:

I think George HW Bush was fairly public when he was in charge of CIA, but probably not to the point of dropping Operation Condor jokes.

More recently, Pompeo was pretty vocal, too.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

ChubbyChecker posted:

all propaganda is cringe
Their previous shovel ad (or trenching tool ad) was at least presenting a decent, Hellenic ideal of the reluctant citizen soldier standing his ground with what he has. It was a lot less cringe than this one. But the people of Ukraine have been through a lot since then too.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Atreiden posted:

yea it's very concerning the Ukrainians didn't use the exact correct wording in their video about taking back occupied land from an invading fascist dictatorship.

Let me introduce you to the idea that things occur in more shades than black and white and and that criticizing one minor decision is allowed, and that it does not in fact mean that I am calling for Ukraine's immediate surrender.
I am glad that this thread is very supportive of Ukraine, but for gently caress's sake, they are not infallible divine gods.

It was unfortunate wording, that's it. You don't need to leap to their defense.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
And you can accept that words have different connotations in different languages and English speakers shouldn't jump at every opportunity to enforce their instinctive semantic conclusions as universal.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Fidelitious posted:

Let me introduce you to the idea that things occur in more shades than black and white and and that criticizing one minor decision is allowed, and that it does not in fact mean that I am calling for Ukraine's immediate surrender.
I am glad that this thread is very supportive of Ukraine, but for gently caress's sake, they are not infallible divine gods.

get over yourself buddy, the fact you didn't like their word choice and had to tell everyone is just silly.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Fidelitious posted:

“Soldiers, Sailors, and Airmen of the Allied Expeditionary Force:

You are about to embark upon the Great Crusade, toward which we have striven these many months.

The eyes of the world are upon you. The hopes and prayers of liberty-loving people everywhere march with you.”

Goons: “Yikes, did Eisenhower have to call this a holy war? Bad look imo”

To be fair...
Feb 3, 2006
Film Producer
Democracies have to be flexible. There is nothing democratic about how a military is run- it’s authoritarian because it’s a machine so it has to be. Ukraine is dipping into what feels really fash adjacent to many but what matters is after, not as much what is happening on the battlefield in regards to wording. Ukraine is a battlefield, one for their own survival.

Parents shouldn’t yell at their kids. It’s 100% ok to yell at your kid if it means life or death or even injury.

Ukraine will win this war and when they do, they will drop the ra ra holy war poo poo because they won’t have to tap into such primal feelings just to stay alive. They will do mundane crap like complaining that their democracy is boring and I look forward to that day.

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!
I think people are underestimating how much faith is held in Ukraine (and Europe for that matter). A quick search puts the number at 85% of the population of Ukraine identifying as Christians with over 50% of the total population (rising over the past 20 years) attending church services weekly until the war started in 2022. The USA for comparison is 75% (all religions combined) and 47% regularly attending services (and dropping over the same 20 year period ) Finding comfort and strength in faith during war is nothing new and if it helps keep cohesion and common cause it’s a strength.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe
I did see one twitter take that it was an homage to a "prayer for Ukraine" hymn or something. I'm don't know if that's accurate or what, but at least in context it makes more sense. It's just a weird little propaganda guy.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

To be fair... posted:

Ukraine will win this war and when they do, they will drop the ra ra holy war poo poo because they won’t have to tap into such primal feelings just to stay alive. They will do mundane crap like complaining that their democracy is boring and I look forward to that day.

Even after this war, there are going to be those in Eastern Ukraine who are still going to pine for the days when the Soviet Union kept the coal mines and steel mills open.

While I laud your optimism, I can't help but think that the immediate post-war years for Ukraine are going to be horrifically marred by the fact that while we're more than happy to give them weapons to fight Russia, when it comes to giving them money to rebuild their country, we're going to leave them hanging.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Fidelitious posted:

Do you actually honestly seriously believe Ukraine is encouraging Orthodox jihad, or what the heck is your issue exactly.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Grape posted:

Do you actually honestly seriously believe Ukraine is encouraging Orthodox jihad, or what the heck is your issue exactly.

The country being genocided made them uncomfortable with the wrong words in their propaganda anti-genocide video.

saratoga
Mar 5, 2001
This is a Randbrick post. It goes in that D&D megathread on page 294

"i think obama was mediocre in that debate, but hillary was fucking terrible. also russert is filth."

-randbrick, 12/26/08

mutata posted:

The country being genocided made them uncomfortable with the wrong words in their propaganda anti-genocide video.

Apparently this war is not a safe space.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Girkin is now accusing Prigozhin of planning a coup. At this point one or more war criminals are going to get defenestrated, we just don't know yet which ones :sickos:

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
cool video about taking out observation cameras and counter drone ops with a lot of explanation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mw0sQ7FzUKE
poo poo is like spy vs spy

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

LifeSunDeath posted:

cool video about taking out observation cameras and counter drone ops with a lot of explanation

This video again reminded me how many russian musicians support the war.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
New Perun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVNjqX5HQGQ

Suspiciously insistent that he is a normal person with normal hobbies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Antigravitas posted:

Suspiciously insistent that he is a normal person with normal hobbies.

Hasn't he openly mentioned he's part of, or a contractor for the Australian department of defense?