Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

lots of "reportedly" and "sources say" from those articles, so i'm sticking with my own Russian Sources that men are stealing poo poo because their lives and pay are miserable, rather than the army telling them to snatch up kit from aging ukrainian fridges

lol okay then i guess your russian wife you wont stop posting about knows more than the combined industrial intelligence apparatus of the west

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

What, did your school not teach you about the Roosevelt-Ribbentrop Pact?

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

He obviously got into a taxi driven by Mr Inbetween. :blastu:

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Just Another Lurker posted:

He obviously got into a taxi driven by Mr Inbetween. :blastu:

aussie aussie aussie!

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Deki posted:

What, did your school not teach you about the Roosevelt-Ribbentrop Pact?

I mean Hitler wanted to minic America's destruction of native Americans as well as our first rate entry into Eugenics. It's not untrue to say that we were the inspiration for the Holocaust.

quote:

In 1928, Hitler remarked, approvingly, that white settlers in America had “gunned down the millions of redskins to a few hundred thousand.” When he spoke of Lebensraum, the German drive for “living space” in Eastern Europe, he often had America in mind.

quote:

Hitler praises America as the one state that has made progress toward a primarily racial conception of citizenship, by “excluding certain races from naturalization.”

Hitler's American Influences New Yorker

Uh oh, like bellingcat WAR CRIME GIGOLO IS PRO RUSSIA

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 19:41 on May 28, 2023

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

HonorableTB posted:

aussie aussie aussie!

Oi oi oi vay

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

I mean Hitler wanted to minic America's destruction of native Americans as well as our first rate entry into Eugenics. It's not untrue to say that we were the inspiration for the Holocaust.
Yeah as an immigration researcher I think I still remember where I was sitting when I read about American eugenics research clicking with him. "Wow, they are really onto something!" Fortunately we definitely no longer pass laws prohibiting the very existence of certain types of people aw dammit, just realized

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Hitler's American Influences New Yorker

Uh oh, like bellingcat WAR CRIME GIGOLO IS PRO RUSSIA

In fact, Americans were such a huge influence on Hitler that when Americans started shooting Nazis, he shot himself.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

In fact, Americans were such a huge influence on Hitler that when Americans started shooting Nazis, he shot himself.

lmao

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

"Ukraine are the real Nazis" starting to make a lot more sense

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

HonorableTB posted:

lol okay then i guess your russian wife you wont stop posting about knows more than the combined industrial intelligence apparatus of the west

I can totally see the Russians being all "Ha ha. Your sanctions are futile. We have got around them with our clever genius." I can see Western Intelligence agencies going, maaayybbeee :colbert:

But chips suitable for use in a washing machine are also suitable for use in a missile that has to survive high-G maneuvers and acceleration. Put me in camp 'I'm also extremely doubtful'.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

:laffo:

To be fair...
Feb 3, 2006
Film Producer

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

lots of "reportedly" and "sources say" from those articles, so i'm sticking with my own Russian Sources that men are stealing poo poo because their lives and pay are miserable, rather than the army telling them to snatch up kit from aging ukrainian fridges

They invaded Ukraine because putin’s fridge was on the fritz.

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

To be fair... posted:

I feel manipulated this post made me do jazz hands. PsyOP!

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

god drat son

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

To be fair... posted:

That plus the great toilet shortage of 2021.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

HonorableTB posted:

lol okay then i guess your russian wife you wont stop posting about

Let's not do this

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

Deptfordx posted:

I can totally see the Russians being all "Ha ha. Your sanctions are futile. We have got around them with our clever genius." I can see Western Intelligence agencies going, maaayybbeee :colbert:

But chips suitable for use in a washing machine are also suitable for use in a missile that has to survive high-G maneuvers and acceleration. Put me in camp 'I'm also extremely doubtful'.

high-G isn't likely the problem. There are probably some generic timing chips and capacitors etc. that are probably useful. I'm picturing some poor stores manager turning up to a warehouse that's supposed to contain 800k generic 20pF capacitors and finding just a single crate with a message;'Я должен тебе 80000 конденсаторов' post-it on it. The crate contains north korean candy that expired 8 years ago. Your boss Sergey bought a new Dasha a in Soichi a few years ago, guess that explains that.

cynic fucked around with this message at 20:34 on May 28, 2023

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/mhmck/status/1662853924506746881
More desertions are being noted. With this kind of uptick in desertions, maybe Russia will simply fold like cheap poster board at the first sign of Ukrainians arriving at their lines. One can hope.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Russian dessert is a bowl of mayo with a pickle spear in it. I for one hope the dessertions don't catch on anywhere.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

cynic posted:

high-G isn't likely the problem. There are probably some generic timing chips and capacitors etc. that are probably useful. I'm picturing some poor stores manager turning up to a warehouse that's supposed to contain 800k generic 20pF capacitors and finding just a single crate with a message;'Я должен тебе 80000 конденсаторов' post-it on it. The crate contains north korean candy that expired 8 years ago. Your boss Sergey bought a new Dasha a in Soichi a few years ago, guess that explains that.

Anything you can desolder from a washing machine they could just buy from china, possibly desoldered from the same washing machines by a salvage/recycling op, probably for much less than the cost of exfiltrating a bunch of washing machines from a warzone and breaking them down into capacitors in house

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/AndrewPerpetua/status/1662886685917544449
Another temper tantrum incoming. Missiles this time.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Need to find a way to do a reverse Doolittle raid and blow those fuckers up. Maybe a Patriot launcher on a barge?

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Captain Splendid posted:

"Sniper's Dream", they call him.

:five:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

poverty goat posted:

Anything you can desolder from a washing machine they could just buy from china, possibly desoldered from the same washing machines by a salvage/recycling op, probably for much less than the cost of exfiltrating a bunch of washing machines from a warzone and breaking them down into capacitors in house

I think it's a case of both things happening. They're buying civilian goods with components that can be repurposed in bulk, while individual soldiers are absolutely looting anything they can get their hands on.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

looks like the fash took itself out

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr

HonorableTB posted:

aussie aussie aussie!

Ow! gently caress! Stop!

Police report states victim may have "done himself a mischief ".

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Apply appropriate salt levels...

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1662903485472428035

I'd certainly expect SS to hit the designated target in isolation, so it's a question of the effectiveness or otherwise of Russian AA.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Karma Comedian posted:

Let's not do this

"My some other guys wife-not" - Borat Sagdiyev, "BORДT! Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan", 2006

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/AndrewPerpetua/status/1662913317847945219
Spare a thought for your next door neighbor, and their children, that suffer even now because of that monkey psychopath in the Kremlin. Russians were convinced the war would never come home to them, that Ukraine would never attack on Russian soil because monke warned them about "OOK OOK NOOK". Turns out the Ukrainians realized that all his boasting was just hot air.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1662937539861262337
https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1662942953873055744
Missiles entered Ukrainian airspace. In Kyiv air defense worked.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

HonorableTB posted:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2022/05/11/russia-sanctions-effect-military/

https://home.treasury.gov/system/files/126/20221014_russia_alert.pdf

i didnt know gbs cared this much for sources lol. There is not something that says concretely they are looting them specifically for this but uh, it is extremely apparent if you actually look at what is happening and track it with the corresponding decrease in precision munitions being used against ukraine as existing stocks dwindle

The idea that Russian soldiers are on a big salvage quest to get chips from washing machines for the emperor's missile factory got to be the most stupid misconception i've seen about this war.

Grey import channels exist you know

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

What a bunch of flyboy losers strapping their failunitions to their overtaxed 1970's airframes burning stolen benzene and limping back home after every corncob-filled dud missile got shot of the sky to a hud full of check everything lights and the mocking laughter of the bums working the ground crew who charge you 200 rubles for a ladder to exit the piss smelling cockpit.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

HonorableTB posted:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2022/05/11/russia-sanctions-effect-military/

https://home.treasury.gov/system/files/126/20221014_russia_alert.pdf

i didnt know gbs cared this much for sources lol. There is not something that says concretely they are looting them specifically for this but uh, it is extremely apparent if you actually look at what is happening and track it with the corresponding decrease in precision munitions being used against ukraine as existing stocks dwindle

This is one of the most :discourse: examples of the correlation-causation fallacy.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

fatherboxx posted:

The idea that Russian soldiers are on a big salvage quest to get chips from washing machines for the emperor's missile factory got to be the most stupid misconception i've seen about this war.

They'd also be told to field strip the 100 grams worth of electronics out of them rather than schlepping the entire 100 kg machine to Russia.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

fatherboxx posted:

Yeah, it's wishful thinking. Russia is still a pretty big country with a fair amount of power in the world. It can easily get 100's of reels of mid-tier MCU's if they really want them. Probably even get it shipped like normal as they would any other day, they'd just label it differently in the manifest.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

a hard day for the rear end-sack crew

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

fatherboxx posted:

especially since they were almost always stealing toilets at the same time

whole lotta electrical hardware in toilets

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Explosions were heard in Odesa. Air defense worked in Vinnytsia and Kremenchuk. Fresh missile alerts were issued in Volyn, Ternopil, and Ivano-Frankivsk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

FirstnameLastname posted:

especially since they were almost always stealing toilets at the same time

whole lotta electrical hardware in toilets

my friend, have you seen japanese toilets?