Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Twerk from Home posted:

Trader Joe's lovely wine is up to $5/bottle around me. What has this world come to. Fortunately, Aldi is a buck cheaper for today's cash-strapped drunk.

Never forget

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

FlapYoJacks posted:

lol, millions of people's credit scores are about to instantly tank.

oh no. not the credit score.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Twerk from Home posted:

Trader Joe's lovely wine is up to $5/bottle around me. What has this world come to. Fortunately, Aldi is a buck cheaper for today's cash-strapped drunk.

30 pack of Hamm’s for $18.99

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
it's important to protect your credit score or else you might never be able to buy a house

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

FlapYoJacks posted:

I went to Arbys yesterday and a medium double classic meal + A medium single beef and cheddar meal with curly fries is $25. The world has truly gone insane.

I had a coupon for subway the other day and got two footlongs for 13 which seemed vaguely reasonable but the original price woulda been closer to 25 too I was like who the gently caress would pay 12-13 bucks for a single subway sub.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

RealityWarCriminal posted:

oh no. not the credit score.

Credit scores are a scam but it also means no buying houses (lol) or getting decent interest rates on auto loans.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Many people were okayed new credit cards, loans, and mortgages because banks, credit card companies, and loan places started adding the freed up student loan money into people's incomes. Lmao at what will happen

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

PoundSand posted:

I had a coupon for subway the other day and got two footlongs for 13 which seemed vaguely reasonable but the original price woulda been closer to 25 too I was like who the gently caress would pay 12-13 bucks for a single subway sub.

2 for 13 sounds ok yeah. $25 is insanity. We only get fast food (other than TBell breakfast burritos once a week for a few bucks) once or twice a month but maybe it will be never with these insane prices.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

SKULL.GIF posted:

Hell yeah, I can't wait to see an unplanned debt strike happen

Already one of my friends announced she's refusing to make a single payment

You should probably warn your friend that because It's the gov they just start garnishing your wages fairly quickly and as the garnishes are a flat percentage of take-home pay it will likely be several times more than the monthly minimum you'd normally be able to sign up for, in addition to destroying your credit of course.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Codifying the plan to end the student loan payments pause but leaving room for a future pause in a future emergency is also part of the deal.

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/4024194-mccarthy-student-loan-payment-pause-gone-under-debt-ceiling-deal/

It's both a nothing burger and also an interesting indicator. The Dems gave up nothing because this was always the plan but also if you think the white house was playing 4d chess around the pause, no they were not. This indicates they're fine with the pause happening since it gives up any methods they might have to bring it back while they get to a decision on forgiveness outside of a new emergency.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

FlapYoJacks posted:

2 for 13 sounds ok yeah. $25 is insanity. We only get fast food (other than TBell breakfast burritos once a week for a few bucks) once or twice a month but maybe it will be never with these insane prices.
We p much never got fast food either outside of niche situations but now for sure if I'm craving a treat I just get steaks or seafood instead cause I can literally grill a ribeye with some mash and asparagus for the same price as combo at most places now. It's legit amazing they stay in business.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Vox Nihili posted:

Never forget

honestly pisses me off it’s so expensive now. my wine chiller perpetually barren. can’t afford this poo poo no more.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
yea I put red in the wine chiller. so what.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
america is truly a lost nation

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Koirhor posted:

30 pack of Hamm’s for $18.99

Hamms is good value but pretty bad. pbr used to be 9.99 for a 12 at my liquor store now it’s 13. I got a 12 of natty light at the grocery store yesterday for 8.99 which is good value and I don’t mind natty light at all.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

FlapYoJacks posted:

I went to Arbys yesterday and a medium double classic meal + A medium single beef and cheddar meal with curly fries is $25. The world has truly gone insane.

so hosed up!!!!

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Smythe posted:

honestly pisses me off it’s so expensive now. my wine chiller perpetually barren. can’t afford this poo poo no more.

i'm cool with cheap booze but 2-buck-chuck was very bad for anything besides cooking

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

FlapYoJacks posted:

lol your first mistake was eating fast food in 2023, your second mistake was selecting Arbys of all places

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
they have the meats

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

SKULL.GIF posted:

Hell yeah, I can't wait to see an unplanned debt strike happen

Already one of my friends announced she's refusing to make a single payment
the one problem with this strategy is it's a game of which one loses first: declining political-economic conditions & fracturing of government such it loses the ability to enforce oppression of the masses versus the masses debt striking. if the arms of the state to enact oppression stay in place, supercharged to the gills, they are 100% going to rat-gently caress everyone and garnish them up the wazoo very very quickly. the one well-oiled machine the state has is debt collecting and punishing for not paying debts. if not and if debt striking overwhelms the state, then perhaps the student loan bubble could implode

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Xaris posted:

i'm cool with cheap booze but 2-buck-chuck was very bad for anything besides cooking

the ELITE sommelier has logged on... and I went to sonoma state!!!

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Smythe posted:

yea I put red in the wine chiller. so what.

97% of "poor" households have a wine chiller but no wine

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Xaris posted:

lol your first mistake was eating fast food in 2023, your second mistake was selecting Arbys of all places

It’s a two minute walk and we forgot to buy groceries. It was a huge mistake on both parts. Agreed.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe

Xaris posted:

well yeah I mentioned "cheapflation" which is that, but that's hard to quantify.

I mentioned before but Trader Joes meat products have become downright loving nasty to cheapen costs: just extremely gristley terrible quality in everything from tikka masala to pizza to stir-fry bowls. the orange chicken is particularly gross, absolute dreg-tier chicken that's gristle leftovers from some other process thrown into a bag with increased-HFCS 'sauce'. I stick solely to vegetarian or vegan shopping there. Paper Towels are simultaneously both Shrinkflating and Cheapflation, like the quality of Bounty and Kirkland Signature PT is just terrible even though quantity may be the same on paper (heh). I've noticed a few other Costco products that seem to be way worse ingredient/quality-wise to cheapen out.

yeah ive noticed it with some costco stuff lately. i got some chicken tikka masala thing from them and the quality of the chicken was just absolute dogshit

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

FlapYoJacks posted:

Codifying the plan to end the student loan payments pause but leaving room for a future pause in a future emergency is also part of the deal.

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/4024194-mccarthy-student-loan-payment-pause-gone-under-debt-ceiling-deal/

It's both a nothing burger and also an interesting indicator. The Dems gave up nothing because this was always the plan but also if you think the white house was playing 4d chess around the pause, no they were not. This indicates they're fine with the pause happening since it gives up any methods they might have to bring it back while they get to a decision on forgiveness outside of a new emergency.

on one hand hoovering up another $5 billion from the economy every month back into the government coffers is deflationary, on the other hand that's $5 billion per month of money with uh, very high marginal utility for making rent and buying consumer goods which, in addition to inflicting suffering and existential threat to student loan borrowers, is going to have a disproportionately high effect on the economy vs say a new wealth tax that generated $5 billion a month (in a whimsical, fantastic hypothetical country where new taxes can be levied)

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

he can finally restart it and blame the republicans for it. sloppy joe does it again!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Smythe posted:

Hamms is good value but pretty bad. pbr used to be 9.99 for a 12 at my liquor store now it’s 13. I got a 12 of natty light at the grocery store yesterday for 8.99 which is good value and I don’t mind natty light at all.

Hamm's is good. loving coastie elite.

PBR has gone down in price in my area. It is the same price as Hamm's now.

Mickey's have finally been restocked, but it is 7.99 for a 6 pack now.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Mr Hootington posted:

Hamm's is good. loving coastie elite

its not good dude. we can be honest here. i drink it too kuz its cheap but its not good.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Smythe posted:

its not good dude. we can be honest here. i drink it too kuz its cheap but its not good.

It is a perfectly fine beer, I would accept a Hamms over any of the other macro brews.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Smythe posted:

People have different tastes.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
deepdish is the best pizza

there is no argument

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Rectal Death Adept posted:

there is no argument

If you have to put an adjective in front of the pizza it’s not the best pizza.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

i enjoy thin-crust ham and pineapple pizza and sometimes i dip it in ranch to add a little kick

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

That said I will throw Smythe into the ocean as if he were a tiny car battery

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

blatman posted:

i enjoy thin-crust ham and pineapple pizza and sometimes i dip it in ranch to add a little kick

:mods: Smythe, this is a food crime.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Rectal Death Adept posted:

there is no argument

also known as casserole

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

FlapYoJacks posted:

lol, millions of people's credit scores are about to instantly tank.

mine's already tanked and also I will never buy a car or house, come at me Brandon I don't care I ain't paying, I'll save up all the payments I shoulda made then use it to pay a lawyer to defend me against the incredibly overworked government lawyer trying to sue me when they finally get around to it 4 years from now and you won't even win mwuahahaha

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Koirhor posted:

It is a perfectly fine beer, I would accept a Hamms over any of the other macro brews.

Mr Hootington posted:

People have different tastes.

this is some of the most deranged poo poo ive ever read

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Hamm's tastes awful, it's definitely worse than PBR, High Life, or Yuengling.

I'd reach for malt liquor over Hamm's.