Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

fatherboxx posted:

The idea that Russian soldiers are on a big salvage quest to get chips from washing machines for the emperor's missile factory got to be the most stupid misconception i've seen about this war.

Grey import channels exist you know

Believe it or not, it's true.

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1540214406549749766

This is what happens when you accidentally set it to spin cycle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Deki posted:

No, no, you got it all wrong. It was an anti-nazi missile that successfully denazified its target, so it worked as intended.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

ded posted:

my friend, have you seen japanese toilets?

They're years ahead of us!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
The heli toilet going around is just a Japanese cam toilet with propellers

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1662972993109209088
New translated intercept dropped. I still don't get why these people naively believe, after all the evidence to the contrary, they won't send in mobiks as part of assault units against dug in positions without their consent. The same naive belief extends to them thinking they'll be paid properly, much less on time.
CW: mention of dead and wounded

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

shadow puppet of a posted:

What a bunch of flyboy losers strapping their failunitions to their overtaxed 1970's airframes burning stolen benzene and limping back home after every corncob-filled dud missile got shot of the sky to a hud full of check everything lights and the mocking laughter of the bums working the ground crew who charge you 200 rubles for a ladder to exit the piss smelling cockpit.

It has the wrong kind of rAM!

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

zone posted:

New translated intercept dropped. I still don't get why these people naively believe, after all the evidence to the contrary, they won't send in mobiks as part of assault units against dug in positions without their consent. The same naive belief extends to them thinking they'll be paid properly, much less on time.

"Should I send an appeal to the president?"

yknow what, follow your dreams lady

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Fresh explosions heard in Kyiv, Kremenchuk, and Khmelnitskiy. Preliminarily, air defense worked in all three places.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

zone posted:

It’s called the storm unit because it’s followed by a rain of fish

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo

ded posted:

"I am honored to accept your waste."

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Alan Smithee posted:

It’s called the storm unit because it’s followed by a rain of fish

Or blocks of frozen fish, assuming they still have any of those left to hand over to the bereaved relatives of the mobiks in question

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1662765930940694528?s=46&t=lbKxPpxJyMeDN0i-nFAg4A

https://twitter.com/juliadavisnews/status/1662956578511761408?s=46&t=lbKxPpxJyMeDN0i-nFAg4A

“We will have mods probate him for bloodlust”

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Would be the first nazi killed by russia

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Kyiv's mayor confirmed no injuries or deaths in the city. Some damage was recorded from falling debris, but less than yesterday.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Looking forward to the military contractor bacchanal that begets Iron Dome 2.0 over the whole of Ukraine that even takes care of the debris by buffeting back into Russian territory with Glade Plug Ins-scented puffs of fresh air.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Like they'd do us the favor. No way they'd waste all the money they've paid him already.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Lindsay then went on to explain that the Ukranian civilians saved from missile salvos or further Bucha style massacres were a regrettable but acceptable side effect of the American aid, and his lord Khorne is pleased.

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/Ukraine/status/1662150538060808192

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

There’s way better things to flame Waters for than his actual anti-fascist album. Most of the criticism about The Wall is stupid and backwards, but virtually all of the criticism about his insane “NATO forced Russia to invade” rhetoric is enough on its own.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Ze Germans are not amused. He's under investigation by at least one police agency over his concerts in Germany. I doubt anything will come of it, as artistic expression can be exempt from laws governing display of fascist symbols. That won't keep people from protesting outside of the venues though.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1662855954046615557

As a reminder, these were the same chucklefucks that got annihilated twice over trying to take Vuhledar and Pavlivka, whose CO got promoted to a three star general as well. The irony of them receiving this medal in particular isn't lost on me.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Deki posted:

I actually may know what happened here. When a missile locks on to a possible incoming target, it will try to intercept it. Patriot batteries had this problem when they first saw action. Modern systems now have switches that will detect that they're hitting ground targets and switch off their guidance/payload.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

If you're blue and you don't know where to go to
Why don't you go where fashion sits;

To be fair... posted:

putin’s fridge was on the fritz.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

e: whoops

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Yeah, for all my dislike of Waters' attitude to the war, this ain't it.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

I actually may know what happened here. When a missile locks on to a possible incoming target, it will try to intercept it. Patriot batteries had this problem when they first saw action. Modern systems now have switches that will detect that they're hitting ground targets and switch off their guidance/payload.
Didn't WW2 torpedoes have an annoying habit of doing this too?

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1663008459783131137
Confirmation is officially up now.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Samovar posted:

Possibly could have read the room a little better... maybe a donny-t outfit these days would be better for the character...

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

uh no, it was set to spin cycle, I was very clear on that point.

Samovar posted:

The blurb I saw actually explaining what he said that pissed people off was... including her on a list of people murdered by authoritarian states? Is there something I'm missing?

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007

fatherboxx posted:

The idea that Russian soldiers are on a big salvage quest to get chips from washing machines for the emperor's missile factory got to be the most stupid misconception i've seen about this war.

Grey import channels exist you know

nobody said that. if you don't think the units responsible for shipping electronics back home aren't looting them for parts you haven't learned anything about Russia.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Winkle-Daddy posted:

nobody said that. if you don't think the units responsible for shipping electronics back home aren't looting them for parts you haven't learned anything about Russia.

You ever tried to fix a modern washing machine? If you can find the parts at all, they'll be just as expensive as buying a whole new unit.

You're quoting a Russian, btw.

madeintaipei fucked around with this message at 05:51 on May 29, 2023

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Winkle-Daddy posted:

Lmao, let's not get overboard with this joke. Your average Russian hick soldier is not going over circuit boards of various home appliances looking for specific microcontrollers that are in demand. It's not how that poo poo works. They are taking the washing machines because a Siemens or Samsung washing machine is $800(so probably more than a monthly household income for some of these guys) and the Russian mail ships that poo poo for free for them to their Kamchatka home.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Cable Guy posted:

Possibly could have read the room a little better... maybe a donny-t outfit these days would be better for the character...

Actually, yes! That could be a good way to show how fascist aesthetics have changed, even if the abhorrent policies have not.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008
I have no idea if Russia is taking washing machines for chips but there is precedent for that. In 2022 an American company was so desperate for a certain chip they were buying new washing machines just to de-solder the chip and put it in their stuff. That wasn't sanctions or anything, just shortages.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/chip-starved-firms-scavenging-silicon-034423047.html

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

ded posted:

not in kherson

perfect time for them to enter the market too tbh

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007
edit: it's not worth the derail, whether or not "washing machine" parts are used isn't important to the joke that Russian missiles are cobbled together poo poo. likely with parts from stolen whatever poo poo could be sent back. much like how Putin is poo poo.

Winkle-Daddy fucked around with this message at 05:44 on May 29, 2023

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Pekinduck posted:

I have no idea if Russia is taking washing machines for chips but there is precedent for that. In 2022 an American company was so desperate for a certain chip they were buying new washing machines just to de-solder the chip and put it in their stuff. That wasn't sanctions or anything, just shortages.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/chip-starved-firms-scavenging-silicon-034423047.html

That is the weakest sourcing possible, some guy from some company I won't name told me they did a thing.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Winkle-Daddy posted:

an article was posted where they're doing the same with other appliances. I don't know what's different about washing machines, maybe you could explain how they are different? I just kind of assume all electronics being sent back are being stripped as that's common sense. why they'd be like "ah, let's strip this for parts but not this" seems like a silly hair to try to split when evidence good enough for most of the thread that this is done with other electronics has already been posted and the counter argument was "nuh uh" and "I know people"

theyre stealing em for personal use not seizing them

if they were seizing them you would have seen an organized effort in occupied cities or villages, not some crustpunk mobik riding off from a 400 person town with one strapped to the top of a BMP-2

front line troops who get to populated places are just gta characters unless there's someone making them not be and nobody gave a poo poo about not upsetting the smaller towns it seems like, so they jacked em and the troops they sent to the smallest areas were the ones from the poorest areas of Russia

it was not for missiles or tanks or any chips

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Winkle-Daddy posted:

an article was posted where they're doing the same with other appliances. I don't know what's different about washing machines, maybe you could explain how they are different? I just kind of assume all electronics being sent back are being stripped as that's common sense. why they'd be like "ah, let's strip this for parts but not this" seems like a silly hair to try to split when evidence good enough for most of the thread that this is done with other electronics has already been posted and the counter argument was "nuh uh" and "I know people"

If they really have an extreme shortage of some specific microcontroller model that was used in a Hoover model X5830D and the Siemens SCHMUTZZERSTÖRER 2003i they are not gonna give a poo poo about the 3 or 4 pieces of these that have been looted from Ukraine. They gonna order a couple thousand of them from China or through gray import channels from Europe through Kazakhstan. Even if they were actually scavenging used appliances for these, they gonna get orders of magnitude more of these models by doing a domestic buy back program or hunting on Russian ebay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

What causes/enables them to target their own launcher like that? Wouldn't being behind the launching missile/torpedo prevent that just by its nature?