Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Xenomrph posted:

Oh I got the mega-crazy special edition that had a steelbook and a full-sized light-up wearable Isaac Clarke helmet and a lithograph and a bunch of other stuff.

Why the gently caress wasn't I made aware of this? EA bombarded me with so much other Dead Space poo poo before release and I had no clue this edition existed. I saw the helmet, but thought it was just a separate piece you could buy. Welp, RIP on me getting one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

Icon Of Sin posted:

There’s already a starship troopers RTS. Came out last summer, I think? It’s…middling. Not offensively bad and had a few cool mechanics, but it’s just not that great.

Don't want to yuck it for anyone but I got it super pumped for starship troopers and stopped playing pretty quick. It kept holding my hands in a way that I thought was too much as a veteran of RTSes.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I've only played a few levels but it already started to feel pretty redundant.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

chainchompz posted:

Don't want to yuck it for anyone but I got it super pumped for starship troopers and stopped playing pretty quick. It kept holding my hands in a way that I thought was too much as a veteran of RTSes.

This seems to be the way of a lot of modern games. from what I'm told publishers are terrified of putting any friction/difficulty at all in the first couple hours so as to avoid refunds.

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo
It's not bad but it's over quick and, last I checked, it has no skirmish mode. Back to Age of Wonders 4!

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntKLXqvrd8Q

Okay, I still hate boosting AI art stuff, but this slideshow of Aliens as an ‘80s anime is once again super relevant to this thread’s interests.

Not sure how I feel about kawaii Vasquez.

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo

Parkingtigers posted:

Okay, I still hate boosting AI art stuff, but this slideshow of Aliens as an ‘80s anime is once again super relevant to this thread’s interests.

Holy poo poo that's awesome!! of course they forgot Wierzbowski.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Plan R posted:

Holy poo poo that's awesome!! of course they forgot Wierzbowski.

Agreed, as soon as the clip finished I was screaming "Where's Bowski?!"

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Parkingtigers posted:

No loving Hudson?! Game Over Man!

Also, I love that they gave Bishop long hair.

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo

Young Freud posted:

No loving Hudson?! Game Over Man!

Also, I love that they gave Bishop long hair.

Hudson is there. It's just hard to tell.

eta: I take it back. I guess he blended into Hicks.

Plan R fucked around with this message at 02:11 on May 22, 2023

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

sigher posted:

Why the gently caress wasn't I made aware of this? EA bombarded me with so much other Dead Space poo poo before release and I had no clue this edition existed. I saw the helmet, but thought it was just a separate piece you could buy. Welp, RIP on me getting one.

It was a Limited Run Games thing, I didn’t see it advertised much but the Dead Space discord server I’m on mentioned it do of course I jumped all over it

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Plan R posted:

Hudson is there. It's just hard to tell.

eta: I take it back. I guess he blended into Hicks.

:thunk:

It's alien not the thing

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Beet Wagon posted:

I’ve played a couple rounds of the Starship Troopers game so far and my impression is that it is VERY early access but also very stupid but also pretty fun. I think both games I played were on the same map so idk about how the map pool is (I’m guessing limited, lots of stuff seems to be “coming soon”) but the games I played were a mix of “go here and complete objective” and “build a quick base and defend it against a massive attack” type stuff. The “build and defend a base” sections are pretty cool, the base almost always seems to get overrun so you get your little starship troopers “oh gently caress we’re all gonna die” moments (and I was playing on easy, I bet the higher difficulties are loving nuts). Even on easy there’s lots of bugs so you’re rarely in a situation where like everybody has killed all the enemies before you get there, and on the rare occasion that you’re hearing people shooting on the other side of your little base or whatever there’s no need to run over there because you will definitely have stuff to shoot soon.

Both my games ended in a really fun “no respawns” segment where you had to leave your little base and run to a dropship a la helldivers. One of my favorite little flavor parts is the dropships have a little screen in them that shows how many troopers made it and how many died so you can all witness your shame if you poo poo the bed. It feels very throwback-y in a way that’s hard to describe - I get some planetside vibes weirdly, and a lot of old school AvP vibes even though it’s not really anything like either of those games. I think right now the main thing holding it right now is jank and incompleteness - I had pretty bad rubberbanding in both games, and a lot of stuff in the game (such as the experience-based class loadout unlocks) only has like two or three options with the rest labeled as “in development.”
Does the game get that the film was satire and humans are not the good guys? Just trying to work out which side of the oorah horseshoe it's on.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Splicer posted:

Does the game get that the film was satire and humans are not the good guys? Just trying to work out which side of the oorah horseshoe it's on.

I think its just leaning into the exciting overblown oorah guns poo poo that was the movie's main hook anyway, without attaching a broader point to it. you know, all the klendathu assault theme music type poo poo what like pennywise loves.

i could be wrong though. i hope not anyway.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Parkingtigers posted:

Holy hell, some of these are beautiful.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Lance Hendrickson with the :manning: forehead gave me a :lol:.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

HiroProtagonist posted:

I think its just leaning into the exciting overblown oorah guns poo poo that was the movie's main hook anyway, without attaching a broader point to it. you know, all the klendathu assault theme music type poo poo what like pennywise loves.

i could be wrong though. i hope not anyway.

:getin:

One thing that bothers me about the new RTS is that they don't have the actual licensed music. I mean it's a nice try, but it doesn't work.

And yeah, I highly doubt a simple action videogame is going to do a deep dive into the fascism subtext.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

Holy hell, some of these are beautiful.

That last one of anime Lance Henriksen seems like it took more from Hard Target than Aliens.

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo
Somebody post Vasquez looking up with her bandanna; so badass.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I just discovered that Paul Reiser did a Mad About You Aliens skit on SNL. Must have been maybe 1992ish.

https://archive.org/details/saturday-night-live-s-20-e-15-paul-reiser-annie-lennox

Starts at about 46:30.

It's barely 2 minutes long. I wish they would have done more with it.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I just discovered that Paul Reiser did a Mad About You Aliens skit on SNL. Must have been maybe 1992ish.

https://archive.org/details/saturday-night-live-s-20-e-15-paul-reiser-annie-lennox

I actually remember watching that live on TV. Thank you for this trip down memory lane.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

Hoooooly poo poo I almost forgot about that infamous 1995 season. It's simultaneously painful and fascinating to observe skit after skit just continuously bombing with the audience like that. I about died of secondhand embarrassment at how long one skit tries to milk the joke with the superhero who naively calls himself "The Night Stalker" and that audience is just NOT laughing.

Thing is you can see the potential in a lot of these skits but they just don't come together. Like, combining Aliens and Mad About You could be funny, but just calling it "Aliens 4: Mad About You Aliens"? Is that even a joke?

There are moments during the Weekend Update segment where Norm MacDonald gets a laugh out of the audience which prompts them to kind of conspicuously cheer in a manner that says "hey that was actually kind of funny! Keep it up, you can do it! We're rooting for you!" Which is itself pretty funny.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I wish I could find it but there was an actual brief bit in an episode of Max About You where Helen Hunt is watching ‘Aliens’ (can’t remember which scene) and asks Paul Reiser if he’s seen it, and he replies that he “only saw the first one”.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I used to watch Mad About You with my mom all the time.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Xenomrph posted:

I wish I could find it but there was an actual brief bit in an episode of Max About You where Helen Hunt is watching ‘Aliens’ (can’t remember which scene) and asks Paul Reiser if he’s seen it, and he replies that he “only saw the first one”.

only saw the best one

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Xenomrph posted:

That's a decent line

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

I used to watch Mad About You with my mom all the time.

Same, but with my dad. He's always had a thing for Helen Hunt.

Lol. The man dresses like Burke half the time, except with socks and sandals.

Burke as a middle-aged Franconian.

"No, no, no. We get the Catholic holidays off, too. 17 days eats into that. Jo, nuke the site from orbit. I have gardening to do."

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
lmao

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Leafing through the Aliens - The Set Photography book I picked up cheap a while back and goddamn it drives home how much it is a perfect film

So yeah, thinking about Aliens

(I am also now thinking about buying this shirt:
https://www.teepublic.com/t-shirt/28228877-peace-through-superior-firepower-aliens
)

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

only saw the best one

Alien 3 Assembly Cut wasn't out yet

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Neo Rasa posted:

Alien 3 Assembly Cut wasn't out yet

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Here's a video about the gameplay in Aliens: Dark Descent

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Cd9BPFdmyM

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
A quick review from the Games thread:

Wheeee posted:

As with what another poster mentioned, I've run into exactly one rear end in a top hat whiner so far, everyone else in comms has been mostly chill and/or just there to shout lines from the movie.

this game is a straight up love letter to the movie, in addition to the in-game news briefings and voice lines sharing the exact same vibe as the Verhoeven film and the soundtrack being a spin on the film's original score, these are from the UI:

Every time you load into a mission your nameless trooper is randomly assigned a voice from a bucket of male and female VAs, perfectly in sync with the Mobile Infantry being completely disposable and interchangeable assets for an insane fascist regime.

And on the topic of fascist propaganda, yes, you can press F to pay respects.

it's a total meme game that also happens to be super fun

Purchase guarantees citizenship!

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

A quick review from the Games thread:

this raises my estimation

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

HiroProtagonist posted:

this raises my estimation