Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Arc Hammer posted:

Not true. She's also a catalyst to bring out the best in other people and her genuine compassion is an incredible strength within corpo hell-world.

"Even so!" but, you know, actually compelling.

e:Terrible snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Arc Hammer posted:

Not true. She's also a catalyst to bring out the best in other people and her genuine compassion is an incredible strength within corpo hell-world.

Also a very good tanuki girl.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
Suletta, who when Eri reintroduces herself to her says, “remember all those times you played pilot simulation games with me demanding rematches until you beat me?”, the person who has been piloting on Mercury saving random old miners from dying? Not good at piloting and relying entirely on Aerial? Aerial is the reason she is as good as she is because they pushed each other to be better pilots. Working together they are super powerful in the same way a team who have worked together since childhood would be. But alone they also are great at what they do and the show is going to show that I imagine.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

You straight up misunderstood what was happening then

We're just interpreting that particular fight differently, that's fine. I personally think having autonomous kill-drones and consequence-free high Permet is an unfair advantage even if they weren't working together (and that's a little more ambiguous in the dialogue of the sub than in the dub). I also don't think Shaddiq is a major contender for being one of the best pilots in the show. He's a shady opportunist who counted on having an unbeatable trump card and he was almost right except that Aerial could just turn it off.

Weird BIAS posted:

Aerial is the reason she is as good as she is because they pushed each other to be better pilots. Working together they are super powerful in the same way a team who have worked together since childhood would be. But alone they also are great at what they do and the show is going to show that I imagine.

This is a bit more compelling, though. I'll let them cook.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

To be exact, I think people are getting caught up on this being a revenge scheme for Prospera. She clearly has higher goals than that.

I think this is as close to the actual revenge plot you are going to get. If cradle planet is still canon then the revenge she was plotting probably has more to do with forcefully closing pandoras box and owning everyone that decided to weaponize the tech. Even Delling with the use of QZ still thinks of it as a curse rather than a corporate opportunity, which ironically would put him steps below the Peils, New Grassley, Ochs Earths in her poo poo list.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
How is no one mentioning that Shaddiq's real name is Jeru Ogul?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Would you want people knowing that's your real name?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Gundam names and Star War names are closer than you realize

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

God, the loving "Guel... you defiled Miorine..." scene, he's just the absolute worst

Hallucinogenic Toreador
Nov 21, 2000

Whoooooahh I'd be
Nothin' without you
Baaaaaa-by

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Google translate says that it's Turkmen for son of a bitch, and I'm going to choose to believe that's accurate.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Me when Suletta Hamgetta: you go girl we've all been there :qq:

also

https://twitter.com/Gee0Man/status/1662923488922075137

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Supremezero posted:

Also a very good tanuki girl.

No no, that first one is also correct.

https://twitter.com/homa_ririri/status/1662783176123752452

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Reclaimer posted:

We're just interpreting that particular fight differently, that's fine. I personally think having autonomous kill-drones and consequence-free high Permet is an unfair advantage even if they weren't working together (and that's a little more ambiguous in the dialogue of the sub than in the dub). I also don't think Shaddiq is a major contender for being one of the best pilots in the show. He's a shady opportunist who counted on having an unbeatable trump card and he was almost right except that Aerial could just turn it off.

This is a bit more compelling, though. I'll let them cook.

Shaddiq's one of the highest rankest duelists, and only below Guel in the ranking because he doesn't ever fight Guel. His gang fills up the 10 ten. SO out of all the people we've seen, they're absolutely the best. Suletta went 1v5 vs five of the top pilots in the school in Real Deal Combat MS, and despite only really trying AFTER the Aerial was crippled, she still defeated most of them before being taken down by Shaddiq joining in a fresh unit. Even with Bits, that's a hell of a feat.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Kchama posted:

Shaddiq's one of the highest rankest duelists, and only below Guel in the ranking because he doesn't ever fight Guel. His gang fills up the 10 ten. SO out of all the people we've seen, they're absolutely the best. Suletta went 1v5 vs five of the top pilots in the school in Real Deal Combat MS, and despite only really trying AFTER the Aerial was crippled, she still defeated most of them before being taken down by Shaddiq joining in a fresh unit. Even with Bits, that's a hell of a feat.

Well Renee and Sabina are in the top 10 the other three were not, but are presumably still quite good.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 00:04 on May 29, 2023

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Kchama posted:

I'm still of the opinion that he genuinely could have won the duel if he just went for the shot instead of monologuing first. But he didn't, and he got sniped by Chuchu's team, and the same episode demonstrated Miorine planned for that specific occasion because she knew how much a braggart he was. And honestly it feels like he didn't learn a drat thing from his defeat, given his actions leading up to and including this episode.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

StrifeHira posted:

I'm still of the opinion that he genuinely could have won the duel if he just went for the shot instead of monologuing first. But he didn't, and he got sniped by Chuchu's team, and the same episode demonstrated Miorine planned for that specific occasion because she knew how much a braggart he was. And honestly it feels like he didn't learn a drat thing from his defeat, given his actions leading up to and including this episode.

Oh he absolutely had her defeated. He had won. That's why he felt he could monologue, and Miorine took total advantage of that like you said. And indeed, he didn't learn, which is why he's the villain and Guel is a good guy.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well Renee and Sabina are in the top 10 the other three were not, but are presumably still quite good.

Fair. But still, having 3 slots out of the top ten means you're packing the talent of the school.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

but never killed

Kchama posted:

Shaddiq's one of the highest rankest duelists, and only below Guel in the ranking because he doesn't ever fight Guel.

Zeroing in on this here: The dueling system at the academy is absolutely wack and you can just buy wins through cheating, bribery or outspending your opponents. I don't really care about their arbitrary paper ranks.

We're gonna have to agree to disagree on the rest of it.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Reclaimer posted:

Zeroing in on this here: The dueling system at the academy is absolutely wack and you can just buy wins through cheating, bribery or outspending your opponents. I don't really care about their arbitrary paper ranks.

We're gonna have to agree to disagree on the rest of it.

We're never given any reason to think that Shaddiq has his position despite secretly sucking. Same can be said for all of them. We're also not presented with cheating, bribery, or outspending being normal, despite it being legal. Except for Guel vs Suletta, pretty much all the fights have been fights without active cheating. We've never seen bribery happen (and I'm not sure how bribery would help outside of convincing someone to throw a match), either. It's been largely presented that if you're in the top ten, then you have the skill to back it up, because all of those people actually put up real fights against Suletta. Unless we're just expected to believe that Suletta sucks and is artificially buoyed by everyone actually being worthless but secretly bought their way to the top, in addition to having a Gundam.

Which considering we saw her doing just fine against trained soldiers in Gundams, I don't think is the case.

EDIT: And I mean, Cradle Planet makes it super clear that she's an amazing pilot and doesn't need Aerial help to do amazing things. And that comes from Aerial herself.

Kchama fucked around with this message at 00:50 on May 29, 2023

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:
The real answer is Suletta is exactly as good a pilot at any given moment as the plot needs her to be.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'd almost say that her skill as a pilotnid the least important part of her skillset.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Hogama posted:

Spoiler-free illustration from Gyoubu, I'm linking it now because I like it.
https://twitter.com/ippeigyoubu/status/1662737416669761541

I like how Mio is on the tippiest of toes and still barely reaches Guel's shoulder

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I swear, we've had this exact same "Is Suletta a good pilot???" argument earlier in the thread and I'm not sure why there's so much scrutiny. Did the main Gundam thread ever argue while live-watching a previous series whether the protagonist was a good pilot or not? I was reading the thread when IBO's season 1 and Re:Rise aired and I don't remember if anyone ever argued that Mika can't be a good pilot because the three Whiskers gave him an unfair advantage, or something.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Time is a flat circle

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

rip feng.......

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

but never killed

Kchama posted:

It's been largely presented that if you're in the top ten, then you have the skill to back it up, because all of those people actually put up real fights against Suletta.

Those are also the only people at the school that want to fight her lmao

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Reclaimer posted:

Those are also the only people at the school that want to fight her lmao

No that's explicitly not true. Episode 13 had her style on a bunch of other duelists, because she had managed to avoid duels on the basis of Aerial being out for repairs.

I don't get why you think this is a zinger though, since "All the best pilots want to fight her, and everyone else is scared of her" would imply that she's in fact good.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

but never killed

Kchama posted:

No that's explicitly not true. Episode 13 had her style on a bunch of other duelists, because she had managed to avoid duels on the basis of Aerial being out for repairs.

I don't get why you think this is a zinger though, since "All the best pilots want to fight her, and everyone else is scared of her" would imply that she's in fact good.

It's more like, the most wealthy contenders want Aerial and Miorine the most and the rest of the students don't really have as much of a stake in either of those things. If the ranking system is read as completely fair and objective then ChuChu oughta be in the top five.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022

amigolupus posted:

I swear, we've had this exact same "Is Suletta a good pilot???" argument earlier in the thread and I'm not sure why there's so much scrutiny. Did the main Gundam thread ever argue while live-watching a previous series whether the protagonist was a good pilot or not? I was reading the thread when IBO's season 1 and Re:Rise aired and I don't remember if anyone ever argued that Mika can't be a good pilot because the three Whiskers gave him an unfair advantage, or something.

I feel like this mostly manifests in powerscaling-adjacent discussion that I've never been to interested in, but there's absolutely discussion about pilot skill and you get caveats for suit power and the particular depictions of the character in their source media etc. In this case, the Gundam has its own sentience and has been mediating the drawbacks of GUND for Suletta, so I don't think it's weird to question how well she'll perform when that's taken away. But I suppose that framing is more towards future episodes and less trying to diminish her accomplishments so far.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Somebody finding a wrecked but salvageable Gundam in that hanger would be a good inciting incident in a spin-off manga…

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

i was a bit lost by the ochs earth/SAL stuff, what was their whole thing again??

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:

Booky posted:

i was a bit lost by the ochs earth/SAL stuff, what was their whole thing again??

I think... SAL wants to check the power of the corporations and took over the remains of ochs earth after the incident and was arming dawn of earth in some proxy war.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

amigolupus posted:

It probably doesn't help that "the protagonist is a bad/unskilled pilot carried by technical superiority" is an extremely common trope in gundam as a series that usually presents some amount of a developmental roadblock for most protagonists, so people are so used to it that they're getting tilted by it very explicitly not being the case with Suletta, someone who has been repeatedly demonstrated to be more or less a prodigy.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
https://twitter.com/baleinetea/status/1662909529808572416?s=46&t=K6CRMiA33aFQep_ZPx64DQ

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

It probably doesn't help that "the protagonist is a bad/unskilled pilot carried by technical superiority" is an extremely common trope in gundam as a series that usually presents some amount of a developmental roadblock for most protagonists, so people are so used to it that they're getting tilted by it very explicitly not being the case with Suletta, someone who has been repeatedly demonstrated to be more or less a prodigy.

Is it?? Setsuna season 1 was like the only recent example

And generally 19 episodes later is way past the point that someone is still carried

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Booky posted:

Literally just came here to link this tweet thread. This helped clear some things up for me

https://twitter.com/benjanun_s/status/1662824818759303169?s=20

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Tae posted:

Is it?? Setsuna season 1 was like the only recent example

And generally 19 episodes later is way past the point that someone is still carried

Banagher I’m Unicorn. I think the first kid in Age counts too.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I think Shiro Amada is technically an Ace pilot in terms of kills but I'd never consider him to be that talented outside of his homicidal Ball vs Zaku stunt.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Arc Hammer posted:

I think Shiro Amada is technically an Ace pilot in terms of kills but I'd never consider him to be that talented outside of his homicidal Ball vs Zaku stunt.

Lol that time he shot every cubic millimeter of that road except the ones containing Norris.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Arc Hammer posted:

He’s at least received pilot and officer training by the start of the show. And he’s definitely not coasting on an over powered suit, the Ground Type is a glorified GM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaBV3YfXnSs