Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Until fair & equitable progressive taxes are the rule of law I will not support the federal government's money cops going after the poors. :colbert:

I've worked with richies for several decades & know how they shield their income (lawfully) from taxation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Vox Nihili posted:

IRS doesn't execute anyone

Nah, they just spam out American Opportunity Tax Credit and EITC tax credit letters and ignore the response correspondence, then spam out Notices of Deficiency to force poor people to pay $60 for the 'privilege' of contesting the matter in the US Tax Court/Appeals.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
willas right

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Mr Hootington posted:

Taxes are good and the irs should go after rich people and businesses.

:wrong: Federal taxes don’t pay for poo poo. The federal government doesn’t need your money and can just print more. State taxes are cool and good.

Also, the feds spend the money on dumb poo poo like bombs that murder poor minorities.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

FlapYoJacks posted:

State taxes are cool and good.

:wrong: Sales & Use Taxes are regressive as hell, and most state tax authorities are far, far worse to deal with than the IRS.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

:wrong: Taxes are theft and freedom isn't free

May 26, 2023
Surprise! Your poo poo is: Bankrupt

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

It's mainly poors, immigrants & other disenfranchised people who get paid under the table. They should be able to continue to do so bc that is praxis, my friends, and more lucrative than scamming the self-checkout by not declaring your organic produce.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

there is no such thing as "people who know wine", all the wine tasting poo poo is fake as gently caress

No but I think there's a difference between people who enjoy wine and people trying to maximize drunkenness per dollar. Sort of like I have to imagine a blacksmith shops for anvils differently than Bugs Bunny does.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Willa Rogers posted:

It's mainly poors, immigrants & other disenfranchised people who get paid under the table. They should be able to continue to do so bc that is praxis, my friends, and more lucrative than scamming the self-checkout by not declaring your organic produce.

Actually their employers should be imprisoned for tax evasion and stripped of their assets

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

My understanding was that the IRS is kept deliberately underfunded in order to make sure that they can only go after poor people.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/JStein_WaPo/status/1662952577548386304

:shepicide:

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Vox Nihili posted:

Actually their employers should be imprisoned for tax evasion and stripped of their assets

I'm talking self-employment here.

but there are also other systemic reasons that some employers pay cash (difficult immigration laws; forcing employers to pay for private health insurance).

things are hosed bc the wealthy are those who write the tax laws, which favor the wealthy.

eta: the cash economy for poors is the way the poors get to write the tax laws. :wink:

Willa Rogers has issued a correction as of 03:52 on May 29, 2023

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Rectal Death Adept posted:

Any aliens monitoring our computer networks:

I will join your side either for or against humanity in exchange for space healthcare. I don't care if you want to civilize us or eat us at this point.

I will do it for absolutely nothing in return

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

The American Imperialist state can not be reformed. It must become small enough to drown in a bathtub.
—Comrade Naurqvizt, probably

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Willa Rogers posted:

but there are also other systemic reasons that some employers pay cash (difficult immigration laws; forcing employers to pay for private health insurance).

the main reason by far is tax evasion and evasion of payments into social welfare programs such as unemployment insurance, which collectively leave "under the table" workers helpless and reliant on their employers' largess

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

i am harry posted:

I will do it for absolutely nothing in return

so will i but it's bad negotiation to start out saying that

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Vox Nihili posted:

the main reason by far is tax evasion and evasion of payments into social welfare programs such as unemployment insurance, which collectively leave "under the table" workers helpless and reliant on their employers' largess

There are lots of reasons, many greedy & some practical; the cash economy is a complex situation, but a lot of people survive bc of it. It shouldn't be this way (we should have a functional government safety net) but it's necessary in lieu of a functional government.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Like, the neighborhood granny who does daycare; the immigrant caregiver who looks after elders; the teens doing yardwork--yes, technically, they should all being paying taxes on their income.

Are you exploiting their labor if you aren't reporting their income, and/or they insist on being paid cash?

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
there was an article last year or the year before that claimed something along the lines of how the IRS disproportionately "targets" low and mid-income people, especially on stuff like EITC and similar programs. this article was mysteriously (:wink:) published around the time the Biden admin was pushing for increasing the IRS budget

a lot of people latched onto that and built very anti-IRS attitudes (or reinforced existing such attitudes)

however, deeper scrutiny revealed that the reason the IRS levels a disproportionate amount of enforcement at poors is because:

a) stuff like EITC are both very common and formulaic, which makes cheat attempts very easy to detect (i.e. there are no remaining new and innovative ways to cheat at EITC anymore, the IRS has seen it all, and the overwhelming majority of the flagging happens automatically by computerized systems, then gets reviewed by a human)
b) they don't have the resources to deeply scrutinize rich people's returns and aggressively go after detected evasion or fraud, because unlike the EITC, every rich fucker's return tends to be complex with many unique aspects, and also because rich people employ armies of accountants and lawyers and can drag cases in courts for years

increasing the IRS budget should help with b, which is why the GOP has been freaking the gently caress out about it

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

shocker, thorn supports more money for more money cops, bc it makes the chuds mad.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Willa Rogers posted:

Until fair & equitable progressive taxes are the rule of law I will not support the federal government's money cops going after the poors. :colbert:

I've worked with richies for several decades & know how they shield their income (lawfully) from taxation.

That's right, but taxes in the abstract are good

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Ok fine my bad. Bill still sux

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Willa Rogers posted:

shocker, thorn supports more money for more money cops, bc it makes the chuds mad.

i support more money for money cops because it makes rich people mad

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Mr Hootington posted:

That's right, but taxes in the abstract are good

:agreed:

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Except that the hires are only replacing ~50,000 of staff anticipated to retire in the next 7 years (i.e, attrition replacement), so they're not actually increasing IRS Revenue Agents/Special Agents? :confused:

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

rich people don't pay taxes, and make sure that the politicians whom they elect understand that, which is easy bc the politicians are also rich people.

I understand why you believe this lib bullshit; I'm evangelizing to the typical cspammer.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

"let's give the money cops an extra $80 billion and then we'll get bezos to pay some taxes, mwahaha!"

--dumb idiots

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Willa Rogers posted:

Like, the neighborhood granny who does daycare; the immigrant caregiver who looks after elders; the teens doing yardwork--yes, technically, they should all being paying taxes on their income.

Are you exploiting their labor if you aren't reporting their income, and/or they insist on being paid cash?

Yes, under the table daylaborers are especially exploited. These people oftentimes perform the same sort of labor as "normal" employees and don't even get social security credit.

I don't care about the particular cases of a one-time babysitter or your grandmother watching you or whatever, but in general our small business tyrants absolutely exploit the hell out of immigrants and other vulnerable people and leave them uniquely vulnerable in both unemployment and old age.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

If there was actually a good, leftist candidate that wanted to take on Sloppy Joe, they could really do some damage with that quote.

Unfortunately, we all know that good, leftist candidates get Hoffa'd by the DNC.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Willa Rogers posted:

"let's give the money cops an extra $80 billion and then we'll get bezos to pay some taxes, mwahaha!"

--dumb idiots

I never claimed to be a smart idiot

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Vox Nihili posted:

Yes, under the table daylaborers are especially exploited. These people oftentimes perform the same sort of labor as "normal" employees and don't even get social security credit.

I don't care about the particular cases of a one-time babysitter or your grandmother watching you or whatever, but in general our small business tyrants absolutely exploit the hell out of immigrants and other vulnerable people and leave them uniquely vulnerable in both unemployment and old age.

Yeah, like I said I wasn't talking about "small business tyrants" as much as those who survive by earning or supplementing their incomes by gigs in the cash economy.

A lot of them are people who serve valuable roles (caregiving, e.g.) that should instead be provided by the state (thru taxation!) instead.

eta: When it comes to day laborers, if they're immigrants without work authorization in the u.s., the cash economy is their only way to survive.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
defense spending will never be cut. everything will be on fire and they’ll still get 900b a year and more

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Willa Rogers posted:

--dumb idiots

Money cops are the only good cops. If they were bad they wouldn't be getting their budget cut.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Willa Rogers posted:

eta: When it comes to day laborers, if they're immigrants without work authorization in the u.s., the cash economy is their only way to survive.

Yeah, it's a system of exploitation built specifically to leave them vulnerable and without recourse. These people would be much better off if their working conditions were normalized, even the threadbare labor protections of the dying regulatory state are vastly superior to the hellish underworld we've built on the fringes. The continued existence of under the table labor isn't a solution to a problem, it's a specific, intended result of the systematic undermining of the rights of working people.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I just gave them everything they asked for - biden

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Demon Of The Fall posted:

defense spending will never be cut. everything will be on fire and they’ll still get 900b a year and more

Gotta make sure someone is around to protect Das Kapital

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Willa Rogers posted:

Yes.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

My maid insists she gets paid in cash. I'm helping her avoid taxes. Lmfao. Dumbfuck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Willa Rogers posted:

--dumb idiots

standard fare boomer seething about the IRS