Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

dr_rat posted:

Hasn't he openly mentioned he's part of, or a contractor for the Australian department of defense?

Never openly, he's very cautious about his privacy, but yeah, he's somewhere in that sphere. Even back in his Dominions 5 days, which is what he was mostly doing as a youtuber before the war, there were hints that he was not just an armchair wargaming nerd. He made a name for himself in the Dom5 community with some astonishing wins over much, much more experienced players, not through a greater understanding of the game mechanics, but through exceptional diplomatic plays and beautiful logistics and operations management in a game where those things are punishingly difficult. Perun's Nazca series is a master-class in strategy game play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Well as an Aussie I'm really hoping he's working for our DOD than I must say.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/RandySF45/status/1662906986491674624

freep posted:

DETROIT (AP) — Police in Michigan say a woman vandalized two Detroit-area religious centers in hopes people would blame a Ukrainian militia.

The 35-year-old Clinton Township woman has been charged with spray-painting a Nazi symbol and the phrase “Azov” on a Royal Oak synagogue on April 28. She’s also been charged in a March 15 arson at a Scientology center in Farmington Hills, the Detroit Free Press reported.

Royal Oak Detective Dan Pelletier testified earlier this month that woman told him that she was trying to commit hate crimes that would be blamed on the Azov Regiment, a Ukrainian militia. Russian officials have repeatedly portrayed Azov as a Nazi formation.

Pelletier said the woman lived in Serbia for two years and returned to Michigan in March. Her family has said she was homeless and has threatened them. The detective said the woman told him that she was trying to commit hate crimes that would be blamed on Azov so people would become angry at U.S. involvement in the Ukraine-Russia war.

A judge in Royal Oak on Friday ordered the woman to undergo a competency evaluation. The woman’s attorney, Kerry Phillips, didn’t respond to an email from the Detroit Free Press seeking comment on the case.

Some really bizarre stuff happening in Detroit. Lots of Eastern European immigrants live there, especially Polish.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

Some really bizarre stuff happening in Detroit. Lots of Eastern European immigrants live there, especially Polish.
My guess is she was steeped in pro Russia propaganda during those 2 years in Serbia. But she also must be mentally ill.

Somewhat on that topic, I wonder what things are like in areas of the US that are heavily Russian and Ukrainian? Is there any noticeable tensions?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Charliegrs posted:

My guess is she was steeped in pro Russia propaganda during those 2 years in Serbia. But she also must be mentally ill.

Somewhat on that topic, I wonder what things are like in areas of the US that are heavily Russian and Ukrainian? Is there any noticeable tensions?

She has to be majorly mentally ill to even entertain the idea that people would blame a Ukrainian militia that is currently in Ukraine for arson in Michigan.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Charliegrs posted:

Most of the Russian nationals I know studiously avoid the topic like the plague, though a friend of mine decided they weren’t going to send their kid back to Russia for the summer to stay with family this year.

Now the Chinese expats whoa Nelly are they hard on the ‘Biden warmonger why doesn’t he force them to negotiate for peace both sides commit atrocities’ train.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Oracle posted:

Most of the Russian nationals I know studiously avoid the topic like the plague, though a friend of mine decided they weren’t going to send their kid back to Russia for the summer to stay with family this year.

Now the Chinese expats whoa Nelly are they hard on the ‘Biden warmonger why doesn’t he force them to negotiate for peace both sides commit atrocities’ train.

I'd love to have a clearer sense of the media ecosystem that Chinese expats are operating in. I know that the government places an emphasis on surveillance and control over expats, so that presumably includes a parallel propaganda apparatus.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe
All of the Russian stores and restaurants around here have at least a "we stand with Ukraine" sign on their door or in their window. There's one Russian market which does not and has a lot of Imperial Russia flags around the store but no Z stuff or anything. All these places do a lot of business with the general public and also eastern European expats other than Russians.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Discendo Vox posted:

I'd love to have a clearer sense of the media ecosystem that Chinese expats are operating in. I know that the government places an emphasis on surveillance and control over expats, so that presumably includes a parallel propaganda apparatus.

Lots of sharing of news links on WeChat and such, probably doesn’t help that most news in Mandarin is coming from or filtered through the state.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Charliegrs posted:

Not the US, but in Canada, I sometimes shop at a local Central/Eastern European grocery store chain. It’s owned by Poles. At the checkouts they have little signs about donating to Ukraine and they’ve started carrying, or at least advertising more prominently, some Ukrainian foods and products but that’s about it. The customers and advertising has traditionally been mostly Polish with the rest being Ukrainian, Czech, Austrian, German, and Russian.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Grape posted:

Do you actually honestly seriously believe Ukraine is encouraging Orthodox jihad

it's only fair after all those years when Muscovy declared that all non-Muscovite orthodoxy was invalid and forced migrants to get baptized again

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Huh, this actually hit the news a few weeks ago. The Detroit Free Press article had some details; it's paywalled but here's an archived version.

https://archive.is/8e7fo

Ms. Nord had some bylines at MintPress, whatever that is, and got signal boosts from Max Blumenthal.

There's a darkly humorous line in there we she states "I'm trying to do as many hate crimes as possible."

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Here my wife's best friend is ukrainian. Like speaking of orthodoxy, we all go here https://stbasilneworleans.org/

quote:

As a multi-ethnic, Orthodox Christian parish, we welcome persons of all walks of life. Our members come from across the world including Lebanon, Syria, Jordan, Palestine, Russia, Ukraine, Serbia, Romania, Ethiopia, Greece, and the United States. About half of our members are cradle Orthodox while the other half are local converts from Roman Catholicism or Protestantism.

St. Basil is also home to the New Orleans Russian Community Center (NORCC). It offers Russian language courses and classes on Russian cultural arts, folk dance, theater, music and chess. Serving as a focal point for the local Russian community, NORCC provides programs and social activities to enrich the people it serves. To learn more about NORCC or to enroll in any of its programs, go to https://norcc.coursestorm.com.

and they aren't really exaggerating, it's extremely chill and dare I say, christlike. Particularly given how mentioning NORCC classes, people will assume it's more russian propaganda being spewed and no, not really, it's just teaching little kids poo poo about russian language or borscht recipes or so on. My niece in law is about to finally gtfo Russia for the summer and do this one https://norcc.coursestorm.com/category/russian-food-culinary

The only actual ethnic tension I've seen outside a handful of old angry vova lovers was from a polish dude pissed off at my wife's best friend for being a ukrainian that associates with russians. Fair I guess, if anyone has legit reasons to be angry at russians by default, poles are up there

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Agronox posted:

Ms. Nord had some bylines at MintPress, whatever that is, and got signal boosts from Max Blumenthal.

Mintpress is a proxy for a whole bunch of authoritarian regimes; it came up a lot in the Venezuela thread as a source promoting Maduro regime materials initially developed through TeleSUR, and serves as a major mediator of Syrian and Russian propaganda.

edit: some older 2018 interviews refer to her as the cofounder of Geopolitics Alert, which went inactive in 2021 and seems to have focused on pro-Erdogan and Syria messaging.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 02:09 on May 29, 2023

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
She has another website too.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Risky click of the day.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Whatever that is, it appears to now be down. Looks like it was a personal writing site based on the wayback machine, but the only dates recorded for it from that resource start on the 19th.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Chalks posted:

The holy war part is a little creepy, but what ever gets the job done I guess. It's incredible to live in a time where participants in a war release trailers for their upcoming offensives.

https://twitter.com/UnseenOps/status/1661499544297717762

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Another day of incredibly stupid bullshit

https://twitter.com/XSovietNews/status/1663100775004876800?t=au2gd-j3vWALhuZkzfJ7lw&s=19

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Charliegrs posted:

Thread moves fast, but...

My family background is Ukrainian & Polish, and I grew up around tons of Russian speaking people who came from everywhere from Serbia to Moldova to Moscow to Kazakhstan & Polish folks. Plenty from Belarus. I live in the Midwest US. We all played together growing up.

The TLDR of my entire community of people whom I know (easily in the thousands if I include Facebook), has been that almost every one of them has been supportive of Ukraine, universally. Including those who are native Russian speakers and everyone who isn't. These are even the same people that believe Russian/Trump propaganda&hate crimes, anti lgbtq or in groups trying to force religion into public schools, etc. It's explicitly aligned in support for Ukraine regardless.

That was at the start of the war though, and plenty still have Ukraine support Facebook profiles etc but don't post much about the war lately.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Charliegrs posted:

I know you said US, but given how overwhelmingly american this thread is, I'll contribute my experience from Poland.

Russians here mostly trying to lay low, none of them I know want to go back to Russia. One colleage of mine changed companies to go to another country in the EU where he felt a bit more secure with his immigration status, he told me "I can't allow my daughter to grow up there [russia], they'll turn her into a monster." All of them I know are against the war, despise Putin, etc, but worry about anti-russian sentiment.

Lots and lots and lots of ukrainian folks in Warsaw now, 50/50 my cab driver is ukrainian on any given day (pretty common before the war, too) and if you just go out walking in the city you'll hear a lot of UA.

Comte de Saint-Germain fucked around with this message at 10:51 on May 29, 2023

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
There was a video recently of a Russian woman in an American suburb who put up 'Bakhmut is ours. Thank you, Wagner ZV' in Russian on her garage door. That attracted some Ukrainians who convinced her to remove it. Later yet, someone slashed her tyres and painted the car blue and yellow. Haven't seen anything on the same level in the US.

Outside of America, Germany is probably the place where altercations between Ukrainian refugees and Russian war supporters happen the most. For a variety of reasons, a relatively large amount Russian Germans from Russia and Kazakhstan, as well as a lot of Russian-speaking Eastern Europeans in general who moved to Germany in the 90s were sucked into the AfD/Russian propaganda bubble.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Looks like Mr. Little Ladybugs can't travel to Russia now.

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1663137874567413760

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

This is likely at least partially motivated by the Putin arrest warrant, as Russia is utterly addicted to tit-fot-tat. Every perceived slight or hostile act has to be met with an 'equal and opposite' reaction, to domestically and internationally prove Russia's strength and that it is on 'equal footing' with the West, constantly 'holding its own'.

The thing is though, the actual substance of its tit-for-tat responses usually just highlight Russia's complete weakness and inability to respond to Western actions in any comparable way. Who the gently caress cares if they issue an arrest warrant for Lindsey Graham? Come back when you have the balls to issue one for Biden or Macron.

Add to that the fact it's only applicable in Russia, which highlights Russia's international isolation and weakness, whereas the ICC one which was international, which means Putin actually has to factor it in to some extent, ruling him out of being able to visit quite a few countries (and even more so in the case of that Children's Commissioner or whatever her name was). I doubt Graham gives a poo poo about being unable to visit Russia. I doubt anyone really does.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Medusa is reporting that a Russian textbook with a chapter on the war in Ukraine is being published.

https://meduza.io/en/news/2023/05/2...collective-west

quote:

Russia’s history textbook for students in 10th and 11th grade will now include a chapter on the full-scale invasion of Ukraine. Journalists from the news outlet Sota received photographs of the textbook from a teacher in Arkhangelsk.

The textbook teaches students that the West used Ukraine as a “striking fist, aimed at Russia” and as a “foothold for a NATO attack.” The textbook also says that in January 2022, Moscow learned that Ukraine, with the support of the West, was preparing for a “full-scale military operation to capture the Donbas and Crimea,” which forced Russia “to take preventative measures.” The goal of these measures, as stated in the textbook, was to “relieve Donetsk and Luhansk from daily shelling, ensure their sovereignty, and the de-militarization and de-nazification of Ukraine.”

At the very end of the chapter, the textbook (without giving context) quotes Soviet Foreign Minister Vyacheslav Molotov’s statement regarding Germany’s attack on the Soviet Union: “Our cause is just! The enemy will be defeated! Victory will be ours!”

The textbook was written by Vyacheslav Nikonov, a State Duma deputy from the United Russia party, and Sergey Devyatov, an advisor to the director of Russia’s Federal Protective Service. Sota writes that the textbook will become a part of the school curriculum starting September 1, 2023. However, the publication Podyom (“Rise”) writes that the textbook will not be mandatory, citing the Russian Word publishing house.

I've never seen near contemporary history in the US, but we always had old rear end textbooks. Wonder if any school would actually end up using these and if they would have to get updated when the conflict ends.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Tigey posted:

This is likely at least partially motivated by the Putin arrest warrant, as Russia is utterly addicted to tit-fot-tat. Every perceived slight or hostile act has to be met with an 'equal and opposite' reaction, to domestically and internationally prove Russia's strength and that it is on 'equal footing' with the West, constantly 'holding its own'.

The thing is though, the actual substance of its tit-for-tat responses usually just highlight Russia's complete weakness and inability to respond to Western actions in any comparable way. Who the gently caress cares if they issue an arrest warrant for Lindsey Graham? Come back when you have the balls to issue one for Biden or Macron.

Add to that the fact it's only applicable in Russia, which highlights Russia's international isolation and weakness, whereas the ICC one which was international, which means Putin actually has to factor it in to some extent, ruling him out of being able to visit quite a few countries (and even more so in the case of that Children's Commissioner or whatever her name was). I doubt Graham gives a poo poo about being unable to visit Russia. I doubt anyone really does.

So Bald and Bankrupt is a legit sex pest, but he was one of the only English language channels making ANYTHING even approaching complimentary of visiting Russia or Russian culture. They booted his rear end out for mentioning that invading Ukraine was wrong.

Russia constantly makes themselves the most unfriendly industrialized country on Earth and then gets super defensive that no one seems to respect them.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

There's always Graham Phillips. As far as I know he's still in LNR held territory.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

WarpedLichen posted:

Medusa is reporting that a Russian textbook with a chapter on the war in Ukraine is being published.

https://meduza.io/en/news/2023/05/2...collective-west

I've never seen near contemporary history in the US, but we always had old rear end textbooks. Wonder if any school would actually end up using these and if they would have to get updated when the conflict ends.

Just look at Florida currently. It's not about a war, but Florida's textbooks are rewriting civil rights as polite disagreements that white people graciously bestowed upon minorities.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

ummel posted:

Just look at Florida currently. It's not about a war, but Florida's textbooks are rewriting civil rights as polite disagreements that white people graciously bestowed upon minorities.

Wife is a teacher.

It’s uh… bleak.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?

A fair bit of Ukrainians too. As told by family, a lot of them came seeking jobs at the auto companies when many left Ukraine during the Ukrainian War of Independence in 1917-1921. (Same could be said about most of the immigrants in the area that came over between 1900 and WWII, honestly)

My wife is Ukrainian/Lithuanian who had both sets of great grandparents come over at the same time

Paywalled link:
https://www.mlive.com/public-interest/2022/03/michigan-has-the-9th-most-residents-with-ukrainian-ancestry-in-the-us.html

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Just for the record, I and many fellow Americans fully endorse throwing Lindsey Graham into Lubyanka. So your tit-for-tat kinda backfired here, Vladi.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Charliegrs posted:

It's very difficult to separate any tension that might arise from that vs. tensions of domestic origin since one party is very pro-intervention and one party has a very anti-intervention wing. The far right of the Republicans essentially mirror Russian propaganda so any pro-Russian views fall into that.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Just for the record, I and many fellow Americans fully endorse throwing Lindsey Graham into Lubyanka. So your tit-for-tat kinda backfired here, Vladi.

Did you know that the Lubyanka is the tallest building in Moscow?

You can see Siberia from the basement.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Atreiden posted:

get over yourself buddy, the fact you didn't like their word choice and had to tell everyone is just silly.

Please assume good faith in this thread. If it is clear and obvious that you are dealing with a troll, then report it and move on

edit: As interesting as the battle between textbooks in Florida and common sense might be, this is not the place for that debate.

Rigel fucked around with this message at 06:53 on May 30, 2023

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
following another concerted terror strike against kyiv, ukraine is sending a pleasant good morning response to moscow

https://twitter.com/BBCSteveR/status/1663398514477658112

https://twitter.com/HannaLiubakova/status/1663413883053195264

ed: apparently a significant size attack fleet. a bunch shot down, but two got through to targets within the MKAD: https://twitter.com/AlexKokcharov/status/1663472769265287168

---

unrelated tangential personal anecdote fluff: russian tourists in regions that typically have russian tourists very much do not discuss current events or ask americans about their opinions of them. central asian locals do!

Qtotonibudinibudet fucked around with this message at 10:52 on May 30, 2023

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

following another concerted terror strike against kyiv, ukraine is sending a pleasant good morning response to moscow

https://twitter.com/BBCSteveR/status/1663398514477658112

https://twitter.com/HannaLiubakova/status/1663413883053195264

ed: apparently a significant size attack fleet. a bunch shot down, but two got through to targets within the MKAD: https://twitter.com/AlexKokcharov/status/1663472769265287168

---

unrelated tangential personal anecdote fluff: russian tourists in regions that typically have russian tourists very much do not discuss current events or ask americans about their opinions of them. central asian locals do!

Not surprised considering budanov already promised a quick response to the drone attacks on kyiv.
https://twitter.com/OlgaBazova/status/1663432247867785216

Willo567 fucked around with this message at 11:17 on May 30, 2023

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
where do you even find that poo poo

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Willo567 posted:

Not surprised considering budanov already promised a quick response to the drone attacks on kyiv.
https://twitter.com/OlgaBazova/status/1663432247867785216

Cool november 2022 regdate account here

https://twitter.com/OlgaBazova/status/1662303777951457281?t=Zthr2IlZJ1AwnxgunThoDg&s=19

Dont bring this garbage into this thread

FYI it takes more than couple hours to prepare a long range drone mission or a missile strike

fatherboxx fucked around with this message at 11:28 on May 30, 2023

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Just want to mention the weird sticker on one of the downed drones.

https://twitter.com/Heroiam_Slava/status/1663454936258977792

Ani Lorak is a popular Ukrainian singer, who currently lives in Russia and is under sanctions in Ukraine since October last year. It's obviously a meme referencing her weak public response to the invasion, but a meme that only someone from Ukraine would employ, I imagine.

E: https://twitter.com/sentdefender/status/1663431175292043264

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 13:36 on May 30, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

fatherboxx posted:

Cool november 2022 regdate account here

https://twitter.com/OlgaBazova/status/1662303777951457281?t=Zthr2IlZJ1AwnxgunThoDg&s=19

Dont bring this garbage into this thread

FYI it takes more than couple hours to prepare a long range drone mission or a missile strike

Sorry, I didn't realize the account I posted was doing weird conspiracy poo poo.