Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Gene stinks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
Barry got American Snipered

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

you know three great seasons for a tv show is not bad

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead
That was super disappointing finale to a really uneven (but occasionally excellent) season! Barry had a perfect ending. Just not this one.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I can't stop imagining John's first day in public school, wondering how his teacher's are going to tie the Pythagorean Theorem to Jesus's teachings.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I actually really liked the finale up until the fake movie.

Fuchs' speech to Hank doubling as a thinly veiled self-reflection was a great final monologue for Stephen Root, who's stolen pretty much every scene he's in for me throughout the show. I love the Fuchs/Barry dynamic and it ended where I wanted.

Great end for Hank, at least as far as this season goes. Need to do a full rewatch to see how I feel about his arc overall.

Barry's end was perfect. Incredible use of tension by Hader, keeping us wondering If Barry is going to make the right decision in time before Gene shoots himself.

Glad Sally and John are alright, although I would like to know what the gently caress happened. Did she not go to the cops and tell them everything? Or did they just not believe her?

Gene's end sucks, yeah he's a scumbag but he doesn't deserve life in prison.

The movie was a terrible way to end the episode, it's a fine idea but I was just watching the runtime, first worried and then bummed out when I realized that the fake movie was all we had left before the show ended. No reason for it to take up so much time with how short these episodes are. I guess you get the slowly dawning realization of how hosed the public story had become, but... Eh.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

finale was great, whole season was great

I laughed really hard several times this episode

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

TIP posted:

finale was great, whole season was great

I laughed really hard several times this episode

Truly impressive how right up until the end they managed to balance laugh out loud moments right in the middle of deadly serious tension, without undercutting the emotional impact. It's amazing.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

The movie at the end might be the hardest I ever laughed at the show and I thought it was perfect.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I thought the finale was pretty drat good (if not as good as last episode) but also that this final half of s4 was not the best move for the show in the end. Certainly not the worst move, but I do think it hurt the show a bit.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Can't believe they couldn't get DDL for the movie at the end.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.
I liked the Sopranos ending and to me that was the true end. The rest was epilogue, and epilogues are always kind of fan service-y, not my favorite parts of books.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It was funny to see the contrast with the Succession finale which ended with basically no epilogue right as the “action” was over

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Still watching the final ep but bruh my heart i can't

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013

Phoix posted:

Thinking about it and Albert not showing up is really my only problem with the finale. From what little we saw of him it does seem like he should've had *some* kind of impact on the way the story went

Same, I'm surprised he didn't show up at all in this season. Seemed like they were setting him up to be a major character, and then... nothing. I wonder if that was always the plan or if some outside factors were what caused him to not be in this season at all.

Also I think one of my favorite parts is the events at NoHobal vs. how they were shown in the movie. Twenty or so dudes shooting at each other, over in five seconds, then the movie shows Barry going in and shooting through all of them like an action movie hero or the protagonist in a GTA game. Good stuff.

JaddaCaddra fucked around with this message at 06:36 on May 29, 2023

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

I got a big laugh out of Sally just shutting the teacher down hard

It was an alright ending. I couldnt really see how they were going to make a really satisfying ending. I have no issue with the time skip, but I feel like it might have gone down a lot better if they maybe did it an episode earliers perhaps? It just all felt kind of rushed.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
The actor in the fake movie who played Barry was so bad lol. Just perfect bad acting.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

mcmagic posted:

The actor in the fake movie who played Barry was so bad lol. Just perfect bad acting.

the actress who plays Sally absolutely nails "bad acting" the times she's on stage in genes class

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Was it supposed to be a cheap DTV looking movie?

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

live with fruit posted:

Yes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIVJ-2uGiqU

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

I think it would've been more effective if it was a real movie. Some lovely DTV movie getting the final word on Barry's legacy doesn't seem right.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

live with fruit posted:

I think it would've been more effective if it was a real movie. Some lovely DTV movie getting the final word on Barry's legacy doesn't seem right.

To be fair, It's not supposed to be right.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Sepinwall over at rolling stone has a great review that sums it up well for me. Oddly muted, and the fake movie went on forever - especially for an economical show.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
There was also a "The audience won't get it if you don't spell it out" element to the movie, like people wouldn't realize how bad Gene hosed up.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
I think I liked it. I'm not sure if I laughed much at all past the point where Barry sits down in the car with multiple automatic rifles on his back, though.

I'm sure some people found the fake movie funny but, like many parts of S4, I just thought it was depressing.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Alan Smithee posted:

there's no way you could walk out of a shop with guns like that in CA
It's eight years in the future. By then the Supreme Court will probably have made it so that you're required to get a free gun when you buy more than $100 of anything else.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
The final caption of the movie made me burst out into ridiculous laughter. That universe is so goddamn bleak. I love this show.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The final 10 being so disappointing made me forget that wonderful moment at the beginning when Barry walked through a Walmart or whatever absolutely strapped to the nines with zero reaction. They’ve done it before but it’s just a brilliant commentary. Him struggling to get into the car afterwards was a fantastic bookend to it.

Also having thought about it some more, considering their use of audio over the final credits in previous episodes, I think I would’ve enjoyed hearing the lovely movie in audio only as the credits rolled more than sitting through so much of it. When I watched it I wasn’t sure if I was going to be the outlier for not liking the end, but it feels like it wasn’t tested at all and I’m guessing like Succession that critics didn’t get an advanced screening.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 07:29 on May 29, 2023

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Wasn't exactly what I wanted, but was pretty good. I liked how it was really clear that they got info from Gene in order to write the movie, because it had real lines that were spoken. Because Gene had woven this whole story where he had molded Barry into who he was, everyone was able to just warp the story to be that Gene brainwashed Barry into killing Moss and then redeemed him as a war hero once they had pinned it all on Gene.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

having watched it twice now I think I like the finale more if you just cut it right after the slow zoom out with gene on the couch and barry off to the side with a hole in his head.

I was enthralled until that, and then was not immediately after.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Sivart13 posted:

I'm sure some people found the fake movie funny but, like many parts of S4, I just thought it was depressing.

Yeah, I’ve posted several times in here about how this show really struck me with a combination of stuff that was LOL funny, along with some extremely dark moments, along with outright looney-tunes type physical gags. It’s has such a unique feel.

But so much of S4 have hit me as depressing. It’s interesting how the show changed from season to season, always trading more and more of those funny moments for darker moments.

I’m not saying it made me dislike the show, I love the show, but man the contrast between the vibe of S1 and S2 and this last one was striking.

Especially I loved the S1 Hollywood bullshit and acting class bullshit, because that really hit home for me.

But it sounds like this was the intention all along, and this really was a coming-put party for Hader, where he showed some fantastic acting chops and a lot of skill behind the camera as well. I can’t wait to see what he does next. He is a very talented dude.

Babe Magnet posted:

having watched it twice now I think I like the finale more if you just cut it right after the slow zoom out with gene on the couch and barry off to the side with a hole in his head.

Yeah, I’d have been fine with the credits rolling right here.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
Wait, how does the fake movie version of events explain Barry trying to kill Mr. Moss at the end of the last season? That's a pretty big thing to leave out. I guess it is supposed to be a lovely movie.

It also just occurred to me that they never explained how Moss explained knowing about the 250k. He can't very well tell the DA he tortured Barry, so that leaves the reporter's notebook, which he also got by torturing someone. Did they just take his word for it?

I enjoyed the watch, but the writing seemed to get increasingly sloppy towards the end.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Those shots of Hank laying at the feet of Cristobal were a loving baroque painting :aaa: I wonder if the pose at the end was inspired by a particular sculpture?

Also :lol: at us missing out on seeing Barry storm both crime gangs to get his family back, but instead having it be some fantasy bullshit in the movie.

live with fruit posted:

Those horrible digital blood splatters were :discourse:

Alan Smithee posted:

there's no way you could walk out of a shop with guns like that in CA

clearly there was another time jump

The time jump was from our present time, so the last few episodes take place ~8 years in our future. More than a fully GOP House and Senate to repeal some of those wimpy gun control laws they got out in Liberalfornia.

Babe Magnet posted:

That shot with his hair/scalp/skull hanging down over the chair was so simple, but so gnarly and gross. Really effective SFX there.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
I think the ending would have been fine if it had cut all references to the movie and had just been a minute or so of Barry's son going to his friend's house and blankly watching a flickering screen

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Lmao that they built up Moss as this unstoppable omniscient force of nature and he turned out to be the bastardiest of ACABs

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
Decided to drink tonight (I don't frequently at all) cause of some poo poo I'm dealing with in life. Kinda forgot about this, with everything going on with me. About to watch it, but wouldn't be shocked if I gotta watch it again sometime. Lessee

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

Takes No Damage posted:

That shot with his hair/scalp/skull hanging down over the chair was so simple, but so gnarly and gross. Really effective SFX there.

I'm pretty sure that was a knitted decorative blanket or something draped on the chair. It's hard to see but you catch a glimpse of it behind Barry when he first sits down and looks at his wound.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Movie Barry's Afghanistan flashback being filmed in a deciduous forest is so perfect.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Babe Magnet posted:

Pretty much agree. I love me a good epilogue, but pretty much everything is decided at that point. No one's mentioned it, but the moment where Sally breaks and realizes she needs to be a Mom just broke me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

That shot of Cousineau sitting with the gun next to Barry's corpse was just gorgeously framed.

Really liked the episode, really liked the season, thought the movie and the kid's reactions (is the smile shocked amusement at how wrong they got, relief that this is how his dad is remembered, or him buying into the narrative of a life he experienced too young and detached from to really fully understand?) was a really great idea but aren't sure how much I liked it as the last of the last of the episode.

Absolutely into whatever Bill Hader decides to do next though. Absolutely loved this series.