Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

The sex workers feel like they are part of the war effort and indeed consider themselves a division of sorts - although one that brings joy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Maya Fey posted:

The sex workers feel like they are part of the war effort and indeed consider themselves a division of sorts - although one that brings joy.

lysistrata's example tells me the continued conflict is their fault, actually. c'mon ladies, blue balls for peace!!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/uamemesforces/status/1662904726826909698?t=LdyAbs1-Y6t38fbeFTV3iQ&s=19

"taliban ftw"

— Ukraine

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
taliban as a us proxy force against iran using us equipment is NOT where i thought the afghanistan war was headed before the withdrawal

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Those Ukraine accounts are largely a certain cohort posing as Ukrainians. With the same energy as Sony's failed PSP viral marketing stunt.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

crepeface posted:

.....uhhhhh :whitewater:

don't worry, she owns the place so she wasn't harmed

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
https://i.stuff.co.nz/world/europe/300885650/nz-soldier-fighting-in-ukraine-was-inspired-by-fallen-friend-carries-laser-kiwi-flag

thie really is one reddit rear end war lol

Only registered members can see post attachments!

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

is there anything actually substantial wrt tensions between iran and afghanistan or is this wishful thinking on the part of westerners in which their enemies in the region all of a sudden want to destroy each other

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

yellowcar posted:

is there anything actually substantial wrt tensions between iran and afghanistan or is this wishful thinking on the part of westerners in which their enemies in the region all of a sudden want to destroy each other

"get em. inshlava" - Ukraniban Union State

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

yellowcar posted:

there's a dispute over water rights, which is kind of a serious matter in that particular area of the world

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

the single weapon being censored makes me think he's actually holding a giant rubber dong

edit: ngl, i feel like a kiwi war tourist would have that sense of humor

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

Cerebral Bore posted:

there's a dispute over water rights, which is kind of a serious matter in that particular area of the world
Food Grows Where Water Flows!

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

more and more are saying this!

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
So I got to ask the thread's opinion on this video:

Supposedly it was taken around Avdiivka in what looks like March/early April 2023. It is from a very pro-Ukrainian channel, but it feels somewhat off, I would say staged but it doesn't really make sense in the context of what is going on. Does this seem like a professional military operation to people with experience?

It looks like one of the better equipped "Western units" but they don't see to have enough NV equipment to go around. Also, the Westerners involved...are a little spooky.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUDeAlnsHGY

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
can't speak to the professional military aspect but it does seem off key for a "combat medic" or combat lifesaver.

and yeah mostly because they're talking about well, firepower and not, you know medical topics of any kind. n.b. i was a nationally certified EMT

what gives you the "spooked up" vibe exactly?

e: a lot of weird cuts in that video too

hmmm

e2: yeah okay might see what you mean now, none of that poo poo seemed legit. bro at the end lamenting about how people didn't get cars cause he didnt film them (???)

HiroProtagonist has issued a correction as of 08:52 on May 29, 2023

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Lostconfused posted:

The biggest mistake Russian strategic planners made wasn't underestimating Ukraine, it was not treating Europe as an enemy.

Both Russia and China keep trying to drive a wedge between the US and the EU, which makes sense theoretically but also good luck.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

HiroProtagonist posted:

can't speak to the professional military aspect but it does seem off key for a "combat medic" or combat lifesaver.

and yeah mostly because they're talking about well, firepower and not, you know medical topics of any kind. n.b. i was a nationally certified EMT

what gives you the "spooked up" vibe exactly?

e: a lot of weird cuts in that video too

hmmm

e2: yeah okay might see what you mean now, none of that poo poo seemed legit. bro at the end lamenting about how people didn't get cars cause he didnt film them (???)

In his other videos, he is always doing a bit of "this and that" including running equipment, and some fundraising. It seems like most of his associates are doing the same thing. The odd part is they are supposed to be part of "Hospitallers," a medical volunteer group theoretically funded by the Ukrainian government, but it seems like none of them seemed to seriously medically trained from what I have seen.

The vibe I got from the video is their job is to be embedded in various units to keep tabs on them and their units. The American woman in the video in particular seemed to be giving directions to soldiers, even though I don't think she has any formal AFU military rank. Also, the unit itself seemed to have been better equipped than NATO trained units that have mostly been holding back (although it seems like they took a few casualties before the video was shot). Also, yeah, Azov got mentioned as well.

Admittedly, that is just my take.

-------------

Orange Devil posted:

Both Russia and China keep trying to drive a wedge between the US and the EU, which makes sense theoretically but also good luck.

Granted, look at Asia at the moment, where China's presence is much more strongly felt economically, and it seems there is a lot less desire to directly engaged against China. I would say the US' hold on the EU is directly proportional to its economic presence, which is stronger than the Russians, but may not be against both Russia and China is the long term.

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

Ardennes posted:

So I got to ask the thread's opinion on this video:

Supposedly it was taken around Avdiivka in what looks like March/early April 2023. It is from a very pro-Ukrainian channel, but it feels somewhat off, I would say staged but it doesn't really make sense in the context of what is going on. Does this seem like a professional military operation to people with experience?

It looks like one of the better equipped "Western units" but they don't see to have enough NV equipment to go around. Also, the Westerners involved...are a little spooky.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUDeAlnsHGY

Very odd video, all the fanboying comments in Swedish are also strange. I skipped through it and liked the scene at ~8:15 where he's talking to a random guy with not clearly visible tattoos on his neck, the guy sees the camera and then immediately seems to adjust his hoodie so that the tattoos are less visible. Hmm.

Edit: the tattoos are clearly visible later and don't seem to be political ones from the 40s

tazjin has issued a correction as of 11:17 on May 29, 2023

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Orange Devil posted:

China doesn't emotionally invest in Europe like Russia/Russian elites do. All they want out of Europe is that they don't take side w US too much when China and US go into thunderdome.

Nordstream 2 is a good lesson for the chinese, can't plan business deal with Europe that rely on easily sabotaged components.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Maya Fey posted:

The Little Death division. At least it would explain the skull on their uniforms.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The next IMF loan will demand that the price of Ukrainian sex workers be allowed to float closer to EU market rates.

That could end the war.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
The sex worker schengen zone.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Won't be able to sell "romance" under EU truth in advertising rules though.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

i find it perversely funny that if volunteered as a medic i would probably be assumed to be a secret undercover tier one operator and sent to the front lines as a sniper but if i volunteered as a former soldier id be sent somewhere nicer but as a medic

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

gradenko_2000 posted:

Dude from The Economist: actually, she was really into me, like for real

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Jel Shaker posted:

i find it perversely funny that if volunteered as a medic i would probably be assumed to be a secret undercover tier one operator and sent to the front lines as a sniper but if i volunteered as a former soldier id be sent somewhere nicer but as a medic

There's some poo poo going on with Ukrainian people right now. There's a war going on with Ukrainian people, and there's two sides: there's Medical Technicians and there's medics. The medics have got to go. Every time Medical Technicians wanna have a good time, ignorant-rear end medics gently caress it up. Can't do poo poo! Can't do poo poo without some ignorant-rear end medics loving it up. Can't do nothing. Can't keep a road to Bakhmut open more than 3 weeks! Grand opening, grand closing!

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Frosted Flake posted:

There's some poo poo going on with Ukrainian people right now. There's a war going on with Ukrainian people, and there's two sides: there's Medical Technicians and there's medics. The medics have got to go. Every time Medical Technicians wanna have a good time, ignorant-rear end medics gently caress it up. Can't do poo poo! Can't do poo poo without some ignorant-rear end medics loving it up. Can't do nothing. Can't keep a road to Bakhmut open more than 3 weeks! Grand opening, grand closing!

lmfao

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
slava the painy

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Denmark is putting another $1bn in the Ukraine Fund, in addition to the $1.3bn already spent, and another $1.5bn is planned for 2024. This in addition to everything funded through the EU. So far more than 93% of the funds have been put toward "lethal aid".

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

look, we're all out of bad money so now it's time to send in the good money

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009

Delta-Wye posted:

taliban as a us proxy force against iran using us equipment is NOT where i thought the afghanistan war was headed before the withdrawal

I kinda predicted the taliban returning to form as a US proxy but figured the target would he China

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Do sex workers get subsidy vouchers from lethal aid or the non-lethal aid?

speng31b
May 8, 2010

is there a way to figure out who actually authored that economist article? Google just tells me it was reposted from the print edition but can't find authorship credits. Very curious

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

speng31b posted:

is there a way to figure out who actually authored that economist article? Google just tells me it was reposted from the print edition but can't find authorship credits. Very curious

The Economist never does bylines as a deliberate choice

speng31b
May 8, 2010

neat. thanks

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

gradenko_2000 posted:

Most of the time articles are written by random interns, and the only semi-permanent staff are the editors, and of course the execs.

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 59 days!

gradenko_2000 posted:

lmfao

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
lol what the gently caress?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I'm serious. The official reason is that "so that the publication can speak as one collective voice", but you can take a pretty good guess as to the myriad real reasons why they'd want to do that, such as the way we instantly roll our eyes whenever the article comes from Bret Stephens or Max Boot

of course, the corollary is that we just end up rolling our eyes whenever it comes from The Economist, period

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Cuttlefush posted:

lol what the gently caress?

it's to ensure the magazine speaks ideologically as one voice instead of developing personalities. the economist is an ideological project and has been since the beginning