Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

FrostyPox posted:

gently caress Star Wars Galaxies and City of Heroes, where is the Family Guy Online private server, to save us all from the drudgery of all other MMOs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
That poo poo was like 90% fetch quests I swear.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

nyehehehe...shweet

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

FrostyPox posted:

gently caress Star Wars Galaxies and City of Heroes, where is the Family Guy Online private server, to save us all from the drudgery of all other MMOs

Family Guy was only ever in beta testing, and I don't think anyone ever really heard of it. But it would be pretty hilarious to see it get resurrected by fans.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I said come in! posted:

Family Guy was only ever in beta testing, and I don't think anyone ever really heard of it. But it would be pretty hilarious to see it get resurrected by fans.

I honestly can't believe anyone thought it was a good idea in the first place. If I was on the dev team I would have honestly been a little angry once I realized the higher ups were serious

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The Comedy MMORPG genre is the next big thing.

Personally I’m holding out for a Bob Newhart MMO.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

A comedy MMORPG might be able to work, but not Family Guy Online.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

FrostyPox posted:

Conkers world?

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

stargate worlds should have been the comedy mmo we need but it got cancelled

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
It's almost weird there isn't a lovely 2D south park MMO.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Hra Mormo posted:

It's almost weird there isn't a lovely 2D south park MMO.

Somehow we got two good solid RPGs out of the I.P., and there was a game for the N64.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Yeah it's basically similar to like Warframe but replace the warframes with characters that you can use various weapons and such on. Even unlocking more characters is "pay money or grind hundreds of different rare materials and wait to craft X or Y thing" like Warframe.

There's no way there can be a market for yet another timesink looter shooter like Warframe or Destiny, it's wild to me that DE is publishing this. Feels like it would cannibalize Warframe at best

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Chillgamesh posted:

There's no way there can be a market for yet another timesink looter shooter like Warframe or Destiny

Probably not. But who knows, it does play differently enough. I think what worries me is the game is extremely unpolished, which it's a beta (a real one not a marketing one) so I get it, but they also say theyre planning on launching this summer sooo...Unless they mean like august or w/e I can't see it being in a good enough shape not to crater.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

FrostyPox posted:

bring back toon town

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

LuckyCat posted:

The Comedy MMORPG genre is the next big thing.

Personally I’m holding out for a Bob Newhart MMO.

/1 Group LF1 Larry. Full on Darryls.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Abroham Lincoln posted:

bring back toon town

"Toontown: Corporate Clash" is a de-Disneyed private server if you can't get enough throwing pies at capitalist robots.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Glazius posted:

"Toontown: Corporate Clash" is a de-Disneyed private server if you can't get enough throwing pies at capitalist robots.

Well, now I know what I'm doing with my sunday

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

FrostyPox posted:

Star Trek Online is the comedy MMORPG

Age of Wushu too

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Before you go too deep into asking the monkey's paw for a "comedy mmo" I'd have to warn everyone that "MMO" is the first letters in the word "Morty" if you stutter.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

May I please have a current-gen graphics version of Anarchy Online with modern day quality of life MMO features?

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

I said come in! posted:

May I please have a current-gen graphics version of Anarchy Online with modern day quality of life MMO features?

Best I can do is a current-gen graphics version of Lineage 2 with auto-play and 2003 targeting and movement.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Wayfinder is an MMO in the most loosest sense of the word honestly. I mean I guess it technically is one but I don't really consider sectioned off lobby games the same as something like GW or WoW or whatever.

Even MMOs are not MMOs these days, with the layering business and all. You do not see the other players, you just see "enough players to feel cozy". LotRO is also like this.

Join LotRO and go to game settings, remove the option to hide quests when they become too low level, and just roam around questing ad infinitum. Also ready your wallet and prepare to part with your dollars because the game is not free, its pay for content and pay for convenience and pay in general.

The good part is, it is not pay to win, noone wins and noone loses in this game, so you need to pay, but you do not win hth

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
lotro/ddo/gw2 have the best model where you just buy the content and then don't have to pay subs

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Truga posted:

lotro/ddo/gw2 have the best model where you just buy the content and then don't have to pay subs

I dunno, GW2's economy makes it real tempting to buy gold. I actually prefered FF14 where you pay the subs but then in-game the economy doesn't hate you

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i've never been tempted to buy gold in gw2 because all the cool poo poo is grind-only anyway and by the time you ground out the poo poo that's account bound, you have tons of materials/gold for the things that's tradable

ff14 is actually in a really lovely position now where they're charging a sub, and also selling a ton of poo poo in mog station that really should be available ingame

OTOH, at least they don't have gacha boxes yet, gw2 still does those for some hosed up reason

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Truga posted:

The Lotro Pay for Convenience stuff is just hosed but if you play on and off like I do you eventually end up spending the money little by little over the years. But yeah the account becomes pretty buffed up eventually, and you can play without the inventory being a complete nightmare

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
yeah the pay for convenience poo poo is actively annoying and i wish people would just dump that and charge a bit more for content instead. once you have a baseline of bank tabs and whatnot it gets really cheap, but the initial buyin seems way more expensive this way and i'm sure it turns some people away

e: i haven't played a ton of lotro, but i played DDO for a few years and got by with only dropping $80 over those years and got all the content and essential stuff like bank size on sales during that time. gw2 is similar though there's also expansions in there i guess

Truga fucked around with this message at 13:39 on May 29, 2023

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.

No Dignity posted:

I actually prefered FF14 where you pay the subs but then in-game the economy doesn't hate you

You never tried to buy a house or something?

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

an iksar marauder posted:

Houses are actually not that bad to get any more if you're playing on a mid-to-low pop server. If you're on like Balmung or Excalibur or some poo poo though forget about it

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Autisanal Cheese posted:

Best I can do is a current-gen graphics version of Lineage 2 with auto-play and 2003 targeting and movement.

There's a little part of me that would like to give Lineage 2 another shot, but I missed the boat on the official classic server and there are no popular private servers.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Truga posted:

ff14 is actually in a really lovely position now where they're charging a sub, and also selling a ton of poo poo in mog station that really should be available ingame
Yea their double-dipping feels fuckin awful

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

an iksar marauder posted:

I didn't really think of that as an economy issue as much as an organisational one, it's not like there's an infinite supply of them but SE sells them at 10 billion gill a pop, it's just a badly organised, under supplied system. Whereas crafting in GW2 feels like you get about half the drops you need to advance your crafting without heavy grinding and only a trickle of gold, but you can go to the cash shop any time you like and skip that grind if you're ready to shell out...

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
what is true is that not many people in gw2 are converting gems to gold despite the fact that even if you're in a guild that's farming 40gold/h in drizzlewood or whatever, that's still less than a quarter balkan minimum wage after gem->gold conversion price lmao

you'd think rich american gamers would jump on that poo poo and drive the gem price down, but nope, they seem to prefer buying black lion keys

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Freakazoid_ posted:

There's a little part of me that would like to give Lineage 2 another shot, but I missed the boat on the official classic server and there are no popular private servers.

The popular private servers of L2 are the New Private Servers for L2

They also have a short lifespan, but there are new ones popping up all the time

I would play it, it is nothing short of a great game, but the endgame is barred behind sadistic lottery crafting in true Krpg fashion so... You have been warned.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Truga posted:

you'd think rich american gamers would jump on that poo poo and drive the gem price down, but nope, they seem to prefer buying black lion keys

As a poor person from the Balkans I kinda LOL at the idea of americans being rich. All it takes is an MRI scan to bankrupt any american or so I hear

Also, I do own GW2 and all the expansion. Do you think I can farm minimum wage (700€) in gold easily? Asking for a friend.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
it's not since you can't sell any gold/gems without getting banned pretty reliably, AFAIK, and like i said, even at current prices, the average gold/hour on the "good" maps is like 40 unless you get lucky drops like the insanely expensive infusions, which is 2eur/h in gem value, or about a quarter of what you'd want if you wanna do 8 hour workdays and still hit min wage and pay your taxes :v:

this in addition to the fact that afaik, converting gold/gems to real money carries a pretty high risk of getting banned unless you're selling to a friend or something. also black market gold is probably way less valuable than gem gold due to that? i've never really looked lol

and, yeah, the rich part was more of a joke, usually the "whales" who spend big money on lootboxes are actual addicts and usually poor from the getgo

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Well, that's out the window then :doh:

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

You want to farm gold in WoW classic.

Some botter did a AMA on Reddit recently and apparently he was making $2-3k per month at WotLK launch.

Pryce
May 21, 2011
This seems like a cool Kickstarter MMO that definitely didn’t make up fake testimonials from press sites.

https://twitter.com/MassivelyOP/status/1663592596055130112?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

ooof, I would have been totally down for trying that game out too. But red flags like that right from the get-go, is really bad.