Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Solkanar512 posted:

I still can’t get over the fact that Danny was combining amphetamines and oxy in space and no one seemed to worry about having him on missions.

Imagine some near future scene where there is a congressional investigation, Danielle is called up as a witness and says, “yes, I warned Ed about Danny’s drug problems, I told him about avoiding the DUIs and he didn’t listen”. Monumentally stupid.

In our timeline, the GOP members of Congress would demand Danny be given more pills to own the Libs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
My wife and I are watching through this and I just jumped the entire thread because I needed to vent a little.

We got up to "And Here's To You" last night, and we kind of had to turn the TV off and stare at the wall for a while. We've been watching a lot of horror movies the last few years, and that poor cosmonaut who got his own personal Apollo 1 is legit one of the most horrifying screen deaths I've seen. I know there's worse out there, but it's generally in stuff I know I'm not going to be able to subject myself to, like Come and See or A Serbian Film,. I don't know if it's affecting me more because of the whole putting two and two together - orange glow from his visor -> OH gently caress HIS OXYGEN, but goddamn, that one's gonna stick with me.

Great show, though. The electrostatic lifting of the regolith in that first episode of the season tapped into that old-school SF "sensawunda", really hammering home that there's beautiful, alien phenomena happening even somewhere as close and familiar as our own moon. And I keep marveling at how much Sally Ride's actress looks like her.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
I was thinking about this show's structure and how it leaves me a little unsatisfied at the end of each season but then also how the time jumps also keep me interested, and it occurred to me that it's weirdly structured a lot more like the Foundation books than the Foundation TV show was. It drops you in to a new situation each season, gives you the gist of what's happening, builds and resolves a messy crisis, and then ZAP - jumps forward into the next scenario without spending any time on the impact of what happened.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo
Show is good.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Everyone posted:

Show is good.

which season are you watching?

i wouldn't go so far as to call the show bad (yet) but it's definitely on a downhill trajectory

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Wafflecopper posted:

which season are you watching?

i wouldn't go so far as to call the show bad (yet) but it's definitely on a downhill trajectory

You just can't live your life in the grey.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Wife and I watched 1.5 seasons and kinda petered out and took a break. The earth drama took away from the moon action too much and kinda lost our interest.

We recently just picked it back up and finished season 2 in the past week, and holy poo poo. The last 3-4 eps of the season have been phenomenal. I probably won’t check this thread until we finish season 3, but drat, season 2 was great.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

I basically watch it for the Kerbal North America Space Program stuff and largely skip the drama and it works for me. Some of the cast are clearly having fun though; the friendly Russian KGB guy chews the scenery like a pro.

Tyler Whitney
Jan 21, 2020

Why don't you make it sing?

This show is fairly strange in that it needs more characters to give a poo poo about and less characters: Karen’s arc was functionally done, and it made zero sense to really continue it to the extent that it had been in the third season. The Stevens kids didn’t really need to be included; Danny’s reveal he’s just been living as Shane would be a decent pre-launch reveal for Ed before Danny gets left on Earth. Jimmy is a loving dunce and the OKC bomb plot is extremely half baked to tie into the space program rather than out of work people at large.

Sally Ride and Opie would have been a perfect addition to one of the crews but go unused. Soviets remain semi opaque pastiches of human being; the lack of any real viewpoints of the Soviet program makes any characterization come across as fairly mustache twirling. China somehow remains nonexistent while having a ICBM program but North Korea takes the gold medal (huge what, although it’s possible the lack of Nixon’s second term causes the PRC to remain isolated and the ROC to still be on the UNSC). The moon and LEO are barely settings or events.

Honestly the real shark jump is Karen in season 2 and the science of 1 (to a lesser extent 2) has been replaced with melodrama. It’s less about doing something novel than it is trying to unfuck something that wouldn’t have been broken if the space race wasn’t still mostly dudes with a Johnson Space Complex in their pants

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
karens arc of mom > bartender > bar owner > jocasta > ceo of multimillion dollar tech company is peak boomer logic

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

All you gotta do is screw your way to the top. Kids these days just think you can screw one person for health insurance.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Of all the stuff I follow, I think this is the last one that doesn’t have a release date set yet. Filming wrapped in February, but I guess there’s a lot of CGI involved here.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Apple TV+ has season 2 of Foundation to promote, they don't want two space shows on at the same time.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Mokotow posted:

Of all the stuff I follow, I think this is the last one that doesn’t have a release date set yet. Filming wrapped in February, but I guess there’s a lot of CGI involved here.

colossal supercomputers struggling to render the sequence in which Karen ascends and becomes the immortal God King of the Moon

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Edward Mass posted:

Apple TV+ has season 2 of Foundation to promote, they don't want two space shows on at the same time.

They've got a long way to dig to try and make people care about foundation after the utter travesty of series 1 though

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
That show’s massive budget killed a lot of other fantasy/science fiction shows in development. One of the rare works of art with actually negative value to humanity

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

General Battuta posted:

One of the rare works of art with actually negative value to humanity

do posts count as works of art?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Tyler Whitney posted:

China somehow remains nonexistent while having a ICBM program but North Korea takes the gold medal (huge what, although it’s possible the lack of Nixon’s second term causes the PRC to remain isolated and the ROC to still be on the UNSC). The moon and LEO are barely settings or events.

Apple is China's largest tech buyer and seller. Their shows won't touch Chinese politics with hundred foot milled aluminum pole.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
lol Imagine if Russia was a serious player on the world stage and had to be appeased. "Sir, the uh, Chechens, have landed on Mars."

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

lol Imagine if Russia was a serious player on the world stage and had to be appeased. "Sir, the uh, Chechens, have landed on Mars."

China is somewhat special here because market access for foreign media is heavily politicized. IIRC they have all kinds of restrictions on what foreign media and how much of it is allowed to be released each year. And then there are also highly organized boycotts and protests of companies that fall out of favor with the government. I completely understand Apple's decision to go nowhere near that kind of minefield.

In comparisons, Russian chuds and boomers were pretty salty about the Chernobyl HBO series, but it never materialized into anything concerning for HBO. I have an older Russian relative who was extremely pissed about the series and I never gotten any coherent answer out of them why except for some bullshit "it's very inaccurate, there was no canned cat food back then and that's not how we held cigarettes when smoking". Yeah, no, that's not even a minefield, it's just mines.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Tyler Whitney posted:

Honestly the real shark jump is Karen in season 2 and the science of 1 (to a lesser extent 2) has been replaced with melodrama. It’s less about doing something novel than it is trying to unfuck something that wouldn’t have been broken if the space race wasn’t still mostly dudes with a Johnson Space Complex in their pants

Season 1 is really terrific and then the writing slowly turns to poop.

Its biggest mistake is being unable to let go of side characters when their stories have completed and focus on new ones. I still can't believe they made a boring Elon Musk clone for the season with no depth and then revealed an incredible backstory at the end of the season which would have made his character infinitely more interesting. But no room between Karen girlboss scenes and Jimmy being part of the dumbest terrorist group in television history.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
wiping pretty much all the established cast out in the opening of season 3 would have helped so much

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

lets do one decade per season and plan on like 70 years but only follow the same 5 characters the whole time!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
RoboEd clanks onto screen. "Dead or Alive, you're going to Venus."

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Make them all immortal clones like in Foundation

Or elves like in RoP

We'll solve the problem of the unfilmable eons-spanning TV series somehow! What with the computers and all

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Data Graham posted:

Make them all immortal clones like in Foundation

Or elves like in RoP

We'll solve the problem of the unfilmable eons-spanning TV series somehow! What with the computers and all

Joel Kinnaman was already an immortal, sort of, in Altered Carbon

And we all love Ed, right?

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

I could've done without the racist turn.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

nooneofconsequence posted:

the AC author is also a massive TERF (british, it's genetic for them) despite, y'know, the plot of his book

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

nooneofconsequence posted:

I have sad news about elves, in that case.

Ed is a flawed character, and let's face it, he's a sixties big-car driving rear end in a top hat through and through. One of the more poignant scenes in the show is when he absolutely loses it with Kelly, and the poor teenager has to defuse the situation.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

The one fun thing about the dumb, absurd Korean landing plot was the payoff that because of his time in the war, Ed was the only one who could talk to him.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

It would have been an interesting story if North Korea had made it first but the people were dead. This guy just living on Mars by himself for however long is so comical.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Also "lol North Korean Space Program" is only a punchline in our universe. If the Soviets are still going strong then (heavily subsidized) Juche ain't nothing to gently caress with.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

It’s lol-worthy in the show cause they sent a guy to Mars in a loving Soyuz capsule. You couldn’t bring enough supplies in that thing to last the 8 month journey there, let alone the year+ he survived once he got there.

In addition to the plot lines going down hill as this show has gone on, the most basic scientific realism has gotten way worse too.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jun 2, 2023

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
In defense of the glorious North Korean space program maybe the Soyuz rode something larger for the voyage and then detached for the Mars landing. And he survived a year by uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

General Battuta posted:

In defense of the glorious North Korean space program maybe the Soyuz rode something larger for the voyage and then detached for the Mars landing. And he survived a year by uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

the other teams sent supplies ahead that landed before them, the show should have had him raiding their supplies and stealing stuff from their bases

it could have been threaded through the whole season as foreshadowing, with them running through their food faster than they should and random tools and supplies going missing and everybody blaming each other and fighting about it

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Typical capitalist excesses, you can fit a decades worth of food in a Soyuz if you don't waste your budget making space pens and Tang. All things are possible thru marxism.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Yeah who needs things like oxygen and water anyway??

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

TIP posted:

the other teams sent supplies ahead that landed before them, the show should have had him raiding their supplies and stealing stuff from their bases

it could have been threaded through the whole season as foreshadowing, with them running through their food faster than they should and random tools and supplies going missing and everybody blaming each other and fighting about it

drat, that woulda rocked but they were really hooked on the whole "and right before he shoots himself, he sees other astronauts", which is kinda a letdown for us, because we knew the astronauts were on Mars the whole time.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

TIP posted:

poo poo that’s actually good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

We are poorer for not having seen feral racoon NK astronaut getting caught rooting through a space dumpster.