Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Hollywood in the late80s/early 90s was run by old fucks really really convinced that 1930s superheroes were the poo poo with youth and (incorrectly) taking Tim Burton's Batman as proof of this. They completely ignored everything that was actually selling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

The only thing I remember from The Phantom was a quick scene with a guy blowing a smoke ring (at least, I think that was from The Phantom)

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

I'm cracking up looking at the King Features list of comics and imagining them trying to push them on the post-post-post-modern audience of 2023. Brick Bradford? Abie the Agent?? BONER'S ARK?? :classiclol:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_Features_Syndicate#King_Features_strips_and_panels

Oh and according to Wikipedia, King Features is massive and cool and you should not mock them.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Fun fact: the film's director Joe Johnston co-created the design of Boba Fett and also designed The Iron Giant and his experience on period superhero films later helped earned him a gig directing Captain America: The First Avenger

I think the nerdiest series of connections I’ve ever made was when I was watching Star Wars: Rebels and realized the music during a particular scene was lifted 1:1 from The Rocketeer. The scene was the maiden flight of the B-Wing fighter, which was designed by Joe Johnston.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Aces High posted:

The only thing I remember from The Phantom was a quick scene with a guy blowing a smoke ring (at least, I think that was from The Phantom)

The only thing I remember from The Phantom is that they used the Doom 'Ffff-whoshhhHHHH' sound effect and I was like.... huh? wtf kind of lazy poo poo is that?

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
I think about tracking down whatever sfx library people making cartoons in the 90s used once in a while. I'm sure there's some golden oldies in there.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

There was s a budget UK crime show that used the CS1.6 sound effects in what I'm sure was a totally authorised manner. My parents were watching it in the other room and it sounded like they were enjoying some casual de_dust2

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
I think there's a lot of cross-pollination between mediums that must come down to "we all bought the same sound library." I've heard sounds from freespace 2 in a police procedural, something showing up in american cartoons that I later heard in bubblegum crisis, that sort of thing.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Oh definitely, and it's probably been happening since the advent of TV. Back in the late 70s and early 80s there was a whole bunch of scifi sound effects that cropped up in everything and were eventually replaced throughout the 90s and 00s.

The laser zaps and dragon roars in the intro to the '79-'82 Flash Gordon animated series got reused in He-Man and a ton of other series, etc etc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKFYZTn2_F8&t=40shttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zIoElk3r2c&t=15s

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
One thing that took me out of Nope was clearly the same horse sounds as Age of Empires II.

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”

Volcott posted:

I think there's a lot of cross-pollination between mediums that must come down to "we all bought the same sound library." I've heard sounds from freespace 2 in a police procedural, something showing up in american cartoons that I later heard in bubblegum crisis, that sort of thing.

I think my favorite example of this is random gas stations in the US inexplicably using the Sonic ring collection sound for their cash registers

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Also a lot of those tunes we associate with silent 1920s/30s movies were actually written in the 1970s

That classic silent movie music that you hear whenever a villain is menacing the heroine is called "Dirty Work At The Cross Roads" and was written by a guy called Sam Fonteyn in 1975, about half a century after those films were made

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXtuUygD6J4

He wrote hundreds of short pieces for the Boosey & Hawkes Music Library which became super well known and deeply associated with old timey silent films even though he wrote all these tunes in the 1960s and 70s. He was born in 1925 so he wasn't even alive during most of the silent film era

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dnPOkQDYb4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FfugWrQIwQ

..... but still get used and reused in dozens and dozens of TV shows right up to the present
His credits include The Benny Hill Show, Natural Born Killers, Ren & Stimpy, Beavis & Butthead, Tim and Eric, Seinfeld, Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas, SpongeBob, etc etc. That's a heck of a resume. :v:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

credburn posted:

/\/\ The Rocketeer was my favorite movie as a kid growing up, but I haven't seen it in so long. I'm worried it sucks :(

It doesn't. Also there's a one-shot comic out this month partially scripted by the late Paul DeMeo, who co-wrote the movie.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The NES sidescrolling platform game was a pretty lackluster effort with a distinct lack of flying throughout the majority of the game.

The PC game was surprisingly decent, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ow7Gy2wia6c

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

well why not posted:

There was s a budget UK crime show that used the CS1.6 sound effects in what I'm sure was a totally authorised manner. My parents were watching it in the other room and it sounded like they were enjoying some casual de_dust2

The Bill (UK cop show) was always using resident evil 2 inventory bloops and beeps whenever someone used a computer,and they used the “Valve turning screech” noise for a gate opening once.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Are Foley artists even still a thing? Because it really does seem like there's about a dozen or so sound libraries and Hollywood and many if not most video games have just relied on permutations of those libraries for decades now.

Dav
Nov 6, 2009

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Are Foley artists even still a thing?

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/05/18/arts/music/die-zauberflote-simon-mcburney-metropolitan-opera.html
“This ‘Magic Flute’ Has Ringtones, Bird Tracks and a Foley Artist”

(Not really what you were asking, but having the Foley artist onstage for a live performance is a neat gimmick)

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Dav posted:

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/05/18/arts/music/die-zauberflote-simon-mcburney-metropolitan-opera.html
“This ‘Magic Flute’ Has Ringtones, Bird Tracks and a Foley Artist”

(Not really what you were asking, but having the Foley artist onstage for a live performance is a neat gimmick)

:O Not what I was asking, indeed, but super cool all the same, thanks!

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

One thing that took me out of Nope was clearly the same horse sounds as Age of Empires II.

AoE2, the sound a horse makes when you kill a knight is the same noise Imps from the 1993 Doom make when you kill them too.

Supposedly it was just a generic camel sound, but it was good enough for at least 2 uses.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
A lot of sounds in doom were chopped up or slowed down, or occasionally a few different sounds were overlaid, but AFAIK every sound from the original game was from a library. I know that's not true for doom 2 because of Romero's icon of sin intro.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Are Foley artists even still a thing? Because it really does seem like there's about a dozen or so sound libraries and Hollywood and many if not most video games have just relied on permutations of those libraries for decades now.

Hollywood really hasn't caught on that video games are a thing at all.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

two of the biggest hits of this year were video game adaptations.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
in regards to Billy zane, i saw him in Titanic and then I think parts of the Phantom, so I thought it would be cool if his character from Titanic coped with the loss of Rose (well really the sapphire) by becoming a masked man in a jungle. I mean it was the pre-20's, poo poo was crazy.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

lord funk posted:

The only thing I remember from The Phantom is that they used the Doom 'Ffff-whoshhhHHHH' sound effect and I was like.... huh? wtf kind of lazy poo poo is that?

All I remember from The Phantom is everyone around him being afraid that he’s gay and then at one point he chokes a man out with his thighs

Also, Catherine Zeta-Jones is insanely horny for The Phantom

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Alexander Hamilton posted:

The thing I remember about The Phantom (aside, for some reason, from the villains name being Xander Drax which is almost a palindrome) is that I personally think that Billy Zane is a pretty attractive guy but for some reason the people making The Phantom worked overtime to make sure he looked like a complete dork through the entire run of the film.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

CelticPredator posted:

two of the biggest hits of this year were video game adaptations.

At least one of which was pretty much made with the IP holder probably having to have a commissar present to stop them loving it up like last time.

NorgLyle posted:

The thing I remember about The Phantom (aside, for some reason, from the villains name being Xander Drax which is almost a palindrome) is that I personally think that Billy Zane is a pretty attractive guy but for some reason the people making The Phantom worked overtime to make sure he looked like a complete dork through the entire run of the film.

They really wanted him to be Clark Kent.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Alexander Hamilton posted:

Wasn't she also insanely horny for Zorro in the 90's film as well? Hollywood really liked having her be insanely horny for the male leads in the 90's.

Now she makes a good campy villain.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Ghost Leviathan posted:

At least one of which was pretty much made with the IP holder probably having to have a commissar present to stop them loving it up like last time.

Idk which you’re talking about but I turned off the mario movie 20 mins in

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Randalor posted:

Wasn't she also insanely horny for Zorro in the 90's film as well? Hollywood really liked having her be insanely horny for the male leads in the 90's.

TBF that's Antonio Banderas, she just got good taste.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

well why not posted:

valve uses a lot of stock sounds

https://soundeffects.fandom.com/wiki/Counter-Strike?so=search#Sound_Effects_Used

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Randalor posted:

And in Chicago she's both horny and campy.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

One of my biggest memories of The Phantom was my dad being insanely horny for Catherine Zeta Jones, so it all comes together.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Do we just throw Entrapment in the thread for good measure?

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Volcott posted:

I've heard sounds from freespace 2 in a police procedural

I'm imagining a cop show where the crooks have a Shivan beam cannon now. EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE...

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
depending on my mood, i weaver from "its cool there's a sonic legacy of stock sound effects" to "im tired of hearing the same stuff, make a new stock of stock"

apparently its the same with artificial flavors.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Phylodox posted:

The Rocketeer is one of my all-time favourites. I watched it pretty recently and, yeah, it’s still fantastic. Timothy Dalton and Alan Arkin in particular are great, and I was delighted to spot bit part cameos by Rom from Deep Space Nine and Art from Night Court. James Horner’s score is also one of my all-time favourites.

Timothy Dalton has a wonderful knack of knowing when to be serious and when to chew scenery like a man who hasn't eaten in a week.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Was there a sonic arcade game? I was watching an ep of x-files the other night and Jack Black was working in an arcade where you can clearly hear the sonic music from the first game.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

ruddiger posted:

Was there a sonic arcade game? I was watching an ep of x-files the other night and Jack Black was working in an arcade where you can clearly hear the sonic music from the first game.

There was SegaSonic The Hedgehog

https://kbhgames.com/game/segasonic-the-hedgehog

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Blood Nightmaster posted:

I think my favorite example of this is random gas stations in the US inexplicably using the Sonic ring collection sound for their cash registers

I've heard the old ICQ "uh-oh" sound used as a notification sound on gas station cash registers too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Toshimo posted:

Do we just throw Entrapment in the thread for good measure?

It dependson if you want to play both shides.