Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Is convoy defence "50% of team camp on back line with BBs, whiff most of their shots then bitch about you not spotting enough for them as you get rushed in your DD by multiple radar cruisers?" Or is that just me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Burt posted:

Is convoy defence "50% of team camp on back line with BBs, whiff most of their shots then bitch about you not spotting enough for them as you get rushed in your DD by multiple radar cruisers?" Or is that just me?

Yeah sometimes. Occasionally you get teams who want to brawl and those are the fun games.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe
I main DDs and CLs because BBs are way too slow for my attention span so I should probably just shut the gently caress up, but I have a hard time understanding people who don't want to brawl in their BBs, like bro you have armor I can't penetrate from any angle and twice my HP at minimum, come at me already, you'll likely survive the one maybe two torpedoes that manage to connect before your enormous guns frontally citadel me but we'll probably both have way more fun! At the very least it's got to be better than sitting on the edge of the map inexplicably firing HE once every three minutes and hitting with one or two shells per salvo.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Been trying to get to grips with the Subs because I like to grind all the RN lines. They feel like dd++ in terms of their ability to swing a game but only if the player is good. First few games with the Undine just couldn't get to grips with it, just whiffing my torps and then blowing up. But after a bit started to work a lot better, especially after playing against more subs. It feels like if someone is actually good in a sub they can dominate a game but a poor player is just going to die and do nothing.

Also grinding the Dutch cruiser line and that's its own kind of purgatory there. I just don't get them.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Aramoro posted:

Been trying to get to grips with the Subs because I like to grind all the RN lines. They feel like dd++ in terms of their ability to swing a game but only if the player is good. First few games with the Undine just couldn't get to grips with it, just whiffing my torps and then blowing up. But after a bit started to work a lot better, especially after playing against more subs. It feels like if someone is actually good in a sub they can dominate a game but a poor player is just going to die and do nothing.

That's exactly it. Bad sub players will die very quickly, because when you gently caress up, they are quite fragile. They will let themselves get depth charged, sit still to spam pings and get dropped to poo poo. GOOD sub players are loving menaces. They will sit out of air strike range, they will passively spot you, they will pepper you with a constant stream of torpedoes, and the counterplay you have against a good sub player is extremely limited and frustrating.

The British subs are also the most challenging, because they are a lot slower than the others, and also they don't have traditional torps so you have to reveal your position when you want to attack.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

GHOST_BUTT posted:

I main DDs and CLs because BBs are way too slow for my attention span so I should probably just shut the gently caress up, but I have a hard time understanding people who don't want to brawl in their BBs, like bro you have armor I can't penetrate from any angle and twice my HP at minimum, come at me already, you'll likely survive the one maybe two torpedoes that manage to connect before your enormous guns frontally citadel me but we'll probably both have way more fun! At the very least it's got to be better than sitting on the edge of the map inexplicably firing HE once every three minutes and hitting with one or two shells per salvo.

The problem with BBs is that if you mis-position, all that armor just means you get to spend slightly more time dying.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

General Battuta posted:

The problem with BBs is that if you mis-position, all that armor just means you get to spend slightly more time dying.

Yeah, learned that the hard way more than a few times. The problem is not the cruiser you're bearing down on, it's his two BB friends that now have a clear shot at your broadside. And even in a big fat BB with all that armour and HP, one good AP salvo can still take out half your healthbar in an instant. It's still possible to play in a fairly aggressive manner, but you really need to choose carefully when and where to make that push. Also, arguably chasing down and killing that one cruiser may well be less useful to your team than sailing defensively and absorbing an additional few hundred thousand potential damage.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

That's exactly it. Bad sub players will die very quickly, because when you gently caress up, they are quite fragile. They will let themselves get depth charged, sit still to spam pings and get dropped to poo poo. GOOD sub players are loving menaces. They will sit out of air strike range, they will passively spot you, they will pepper you with a constant stream of torpedoes, and the counterplay you have against a good sub player is extremely limited and frustrating.

The British subs are also the most challenging, because they are a lot slower than the others, and also they don't have traditional torps so you have to reveal your position when you want to attack.

The Undine in particular also has the added difficulty in that it doesn't have a stern torpedo tube. That makes it easier to accidentally overextend while setting up an attack, and also means you can't disrupt enemy movement while withdrawing. Still, even then in the few rounds I played with it I found subs so brain-dead easy that I basically swore off of them for good. They're just a lovely game mechanic that really needs a carrier-style rework sooner rather than later.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Perestroika posted:

The Undine in particular also has the added difficulty in that it doesn't have a stern torpedo tube. That makes it easier to accidentally overextend while setting up an attack, and also means you can't disrupt enemy movement while withdrawing. Still, even then in the few rounds I played with it I found subs so brain-dead easy that I basically swore off of them for good. They're just a lovely game mechanic that really needs a carrier-style rework sooner rather than later.

Oh no arguments here. It is remarkable that some players are struggling so hard with them when not getting blapped just basically requires reacting very basic survival instincts.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

GHOST_BUTT posted:

Well, BBs are the long range class. If you want fast paced brawls (as you mentioned) you pick the faster ships with faster firing guns and better concealment. If the BB runs straight at you you might torp it, but if you keep trading shots at range it can kill you with less damage taken.

There are a lot of players who sit really far back not doing much, but remember that you notice those people because they're alive at the end of the game. Running in and dying in four minutes because you tried to brawl a Yugumo in your Massachusetts is even worse for your team than sitting in the back firing HE, but nobody yells at that player in chat because they're already off to the next game dying in four minutes in their Alabama.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

James Garfield posted:

Well, BBs are the long range class. If you want fast paced brawls (as you mentioned) you pick the faster ships with faster firing guns and better concealment. If the BB runs straight at you you might torp it, but if you keep trading shots at range it can kill you with less damage taken.

There are a lot of players who sit really far back not doing much, but remember that you notice those people because they're alive at the end of the game. Running in and dying in four minutes because you tried to brawl a Yugumo in your Massachusetts is even worse for your team than sitting in the back firing HE, but nobody yells at that player in chat because they're already off to the next game dying in four minutes in their Alabama.

And also notice how far down the XP list they are also, for the same reason.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Speaking of BBs, I've been making my way up the Italian line and they sure kinda seem to suck poo poo? Okay, they got extremely inaccurate guns that basically require you to get in quite close, you can work around that. But then the supposed upside to that, getting SAP, also feels like a downside. It's extremely finicky and rarely ever does better than AP even against cruisers, and the loss of HE really kinda stings. Last but not least their AP also seems to be pretty sub-par. So many times I got off a perfect broadside salvo only to get like 7k damage in total out of it (not least because most of the shells missed even at 10km distance), while the return salvo blasted me for like 25k.

At least the French BBs are treating me right.

Kuntz
Feb 17, 2011

Perestroika posted:

Speaking of BBs, I've been making my way up the Italian line and they sure kinda seem to suck poo poo? Okay, they got extremely inaccurate guns that basically require you to get in quite close, you can work around that. But then the supposed upside to that, getting SAP, also feels like a downside. It's extremely finicky and rarely ever does better than AP even against cruisers, and the loss of HE really kinda stings. Last but not least their AP also seems to be pretty sub-par. So many times I got off a perfect broadside salvo only to get like 7k damage in total out of it (not least because most of the shells missed even at 10km distance), while the return salvo blasted me for like 25k.

Hmmm interesting points, but have you considered that they look gorgeous??

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Perestroika posted:

Italian BBs up to Columbo are dogshit

Then you get this
https://streamable.com/cqrw8w

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Perestroika posted:

I'm only at the T7 but the guns on it are like Railguns. It's got the highest AP pen of any T7 or T8 BB .so you can land really good volleys on a lot of ships. The SAP is kinda hit of miss, you might absolutely ruin a Cruiser or whiff wildly it's hard to say. I really like the guns on that boat.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
The T7 is in my opinion legitimately decent. The T8 and T9 are agony…

e: I also pretty much gave up on SAP. With the long reloads you need your AP ready for any opportunities that show up.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
What's a Julio Cesare worth these days ? got one from a box years ago, have never used it.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

MREBoy posted:

What's a Julio Cesare worth these days ? got one from a box years ago, have never used it.

For T5 ranked it's probably the best ship. Just busted good.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

MREBoy posted:

I am very bad at this game and it had me convinced I was suddenly good until I looked it up and found out how overpowered it is.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

This month's World of Warships Twitch Prime loot: a König.

Yes, the T5 German tech tree BB.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
So, once again I have too much steel and can use advice on what to use my coupon for. I can choose the following:

Mecklenberg (looks to be dpm focused and I'm a decent battleship player)
Shikishima (boring as hell since I have Yamato and the supership)
Gato (no.)
Z-42 (I don't know much about this one)
Plymouth (seems appealing to me, maybe?)
Vallejo (again, I know very little)

Any suggestions?

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Blindeye posted:

So, once again I have too much steel and can use advice on what to use my coupon for. I can choose the following:

Gato (no.)

Any suggestions?

I have the #3 highest damage Plymouth game on NA, AMA

But seriously I would put them in this order :

Plymouth
Shiki
Z42
Mecklenburg
Vallejo (I actually know nothing)

You could swap Shiki and Plymouth if you play more bb

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Blindeye posted:

Gato (no.)

Any suggestions?

What do you like to play? Z-42, outside of competitive, is near identical to Z-52 since the smokes are only relevant when capping vs overlapping radar. Shiki is boring and a Yamato, but I have it (I think I managed five games), Mecklenberg I have three games in and it wasn’t super impressive, Plymouth at least has a niche, albeit one I don’t love. Vallejo is a weird duck and I’ll probably get it soon since it’s that, gato, or FDR and I’ve got 40k steel and no desire for the others. It’s just a Worcester with zero utility (no radar, I don’t think it even gets hydro) but better gun ballistics.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

So that I'm not just constantly complaining about this game: I finally got to the Richelieu, and it's fun as hell. Quite mobile for a BB, decent armour, accurate main guns, and a secondary battery that's just :discourse:. I got into a short-range broadside brawl with a Bismark and was surprised to find that my secondaries gave as good as it got, letting me pull out a narrow win. Any destroyer or cruiser that wanders within 10km has a really tough time, too.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Richeliu is an absolute blast to play, I'm not sure why I did so well in it as on paper it seems underwhelming but it's just a great ship.

Next up you to get to play Alsace which I never...really figured out. It's a shame that the tier 9 Richeliu is a premium but Jean Bart is everything Richeliu is and more.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Richelieu is uniquely designed to take advantage of the way ships actually fight in WOWS (as opposed to how they would be used IRL) because she's reasonably fast, has decent armor, and (most importantly) her turrets are all ahead of her bridge. That means she can always stay bow-on to her opponent and still use her full main armament, which makes things so much simpler than a ship with guns divided between bow and stern mountings.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

The 4v4 T6 Brawls could be really fun if people weren't so loving awful at this game.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Aramoro posted:

The 4v4 T6 Brawls could be really fun if people weren't so loving awful at this game.

The best mode ever was the 1 v 1 brawl at T5/6? Pensacola would either win decisively or die hilariously, depending entirely on what ship I fought.

whocares8310
Sep 22, 2010

Sir, I think it's pronounced nook-ya-ler.

Aramoro posted:

I promise to add to the populous of awful players by being a new player today. I also promise to try and rectify this fast.

Any tips on how to be the least bad out the gate?

whocares8310 fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jun 6, 2023

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

whocares8310 posted:

Any tips on how to be the least bad out the gate?

Play the objective instead of sailing around whiffing shots

LightRailTycoon
Mar 24, 2017
Is there any organized goon activity in this game? I've been enjoying the brawls, forces me to play my only t6 ship, Fuso, much moreo aggressively than I would normally.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

LightRailTycoon posted:

Is there any organized goon activity in this game? I've been enjoying the brawls, forces me to play my only t6 ship, Fuso, much moreo aggressively than I would normally.

It’s been a while since we tried clan battles, most everyone who cared either went to a more elite clan or quit.

It’d be nice if you could still group up via discord but idk.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

So the Bourgogne is still the number one steel pick, right?

The 25% off coupon refreshes overnight, and I'm picking up my first steel ship.

- I don't have a Yamato, but I do have a Musashi, so the Shikishima feels a bit redundant?
- I have both British T10 battleships (and the Thunderer), so does the Incomparable really offer anything different? I know it has bigger caliber guns and can overmatch most things.
- The Mecklenburg feels like it might be neat, and definitely different from the other T10 German BBs, and I know Trenlass swears by it.
- Stalingrad. Could be cool, but I understand it's been kinda powercrept over the years. I also have both the Moskva and the Petro, and for my heavy cruiser needs I also have the Goliath, which I enjoy a great deal, but maybe this isn't like those botes?

I do have the Jean Bart, and I am currently on the Alsace (and really enjoying it) on the French BB tech tree, but I understand the Bourgogne isn't quite the same experience as the Republique?

Other than that, there's not much there. Roosevelt? gently caress no, even beyond not wanting to buy a CV with my steel, I already have every other T10 CV so I really don't need it. Gato? Probably not, subs are pretty boring, although I understand the Gato plays more like a DD that can submerge, which might be interesting. Ragnar? Probably not much need now that the new EU smoke radar gunboat line is coming out. Z-42? No idea, honestly.

E: maybe the Stalingrad hasn't been powercrept at all: still at the top of the WR and damage per game leaderboard for T10 cruisers.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Jun 7, 2023

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Stalingrad is deeply boring to play whereas Bourgogne is so much fun it should be illegal.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

The new Pan American cruisers seem fun. Are they good or do they get ruined at 8+?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

General Battuta posted:

Stalingrad is deeply boring to play whereas Bourgogne is so much fun it should be illegal.

That's a very convincing argument, I think that'll be it.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Aramoro posted:

The new Pan American cruisers seem fun. Are they good or do they get ruined at 8+?

I found the DPM of the Allende very underwhelming. Its AP overpens DDs so you're a radar cruiser that can't kill what you spot with radar. The super heal keeps you in the game but it very much is a ship that has to have a long game to make enough difference to win.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Bourg is certainly the best combo of unique fun gameplay and power. I wouldn't sleep on Stalin though, it has been nerfed from it's height, certainly, thanks to the captain skills rework stripping it of fire prevention. But. The guns are still the best combination of insane bullshit in the game, between the accuracy, enhanced pen angles, short fuse, and absolutely bonkers loving pen.

For reference, stalingrad has far far better pen than Bourgogne until 21km range. It's dumb. So if you like consistent amazing gunpower, Stalingrad is certainly a tempting buy.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Bourgogne bought after some last minute panic indecision about the Stalingrad as a possible option, but I'm so high on the Alsace right now that a more accurate Alsace with a MBRB seems like a good time.

Maybe the Stalin next.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I do have the Jean Bart, and I am currently on the Alsace (and really enjoying it) on the French BB tech tree, but I understand the Bourgogne isn't quite the same experience as the Republique?

Bourgogne is what we should have gotten instead of Republique, which is another boring overmatch sniper boat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Blindeye posted:

I found the DPM of the Allende very underwhelming. Its AP overpens DDs so you're a radar cruiser that can't kill what you spot with radar. The super heal keeps you in the game but it very much is a ship that has to have a long game to make enough difference to win.

I'm finding that even at T6, just overpens on DDs and have to be close to BBs to get damage but other cruisers are nice. Not quite worked out how best to use the gimmick though.