Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Alchenar posted:

Because the secret real problem with this idea is that the people it's in theory most supposed to help are also most likely to completely reject the food in favour of cheap takeaway and ready meals but if you drop the package at their doorstep then that problem is less visible than if you issue vouchers that then aren't used.
Ready meals have got pretty good in terms of nutritional value and taste per unit cost, in no small part due to R&D by airlines that then found they couldn't go anywhere for a while.

Takeaways are an interesting part of how Britain became multicultural, and it was funny to see Americans get weirdly racist on finding British Chinese food, forgetting that their Chinese food isn't really Chinese either.
https://twitter.com/Chican3ry/status/1655093789038354433

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

If they did this, they should take account of the modern world and have some ready meals included in the vouchers.
:hai:

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

special custard
Less keen on this one.

e: Calf 269 is a bull who was rescued as a calf from a slaughterhouse in Tel Aviv.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 12:52 on May 29, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
BoJo has already made great efforts to distribute special custard across the nation

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

fizzy posted:

Nationalize Amazon UK.

and 'spoons

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

American food patter is brutal, but then so few of them have any real curiosity about the rest of the world I suppose it's inevitable

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

Ready meals have got pretty good in terms of nutritional value and taste per unit cost, in no small part due to R&D by airlines that then found they couldn't go anywhere for a while.

Wait, what's this? Are you saying there's been a noticeable increase in readymeal quality due to the airlines pivoting during COVID? I might just be misunderstanding

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Alchenar posted:

The wagon is already built and it's a pretty good wagon, just commission the service and move on. As posted above, there are secondary motivations that keep everything moving swimmingly and add to the economies of scale, there's no reason why you would want to gently caress this up by trying to do direct provision by the government.

If you remove the need to be on top form because otherwise competitors will eat your lunch, the incentive immediately switches to cutting service quality to minimise expenditure when you have guaranteed revenue from the government, which is how all private provision services-that-should-be-the-government go for exactly that reason.

If you're going to fund something from the government you have to make it not privately owned because the key thing to remember is that private enterprises do not exist to provide any sort of service to their customers, that's just a thing they sometimes have to do in order to maximise the profits of the owners. As long as the profit motive is there it creates utterly perverse incentives when you combine it with guaranteed funding.

Running a service directly doesn't magically make it more efficient, it is simply necessary to make the material incentive be anything other than maximising the amount of skimming the provider can do. And if you try to legislate a minimum standard of service that limits their ability to do that, they just default on the contract like the rail companies keep doing.

You absolutely can not make private services work because they are structurally incapable of taking funding and turning it into services, because their purpose is to take money and put it in the pockets of their owners.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 13:16 on May 29, 2023

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

I can't vouch for quality but I have noticed that since about 2021 there have been a few ready meal services that have invested in advertising/set up shop. Logic tracks for me.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Failed Imagineer posted:

Wait, what's this? Are you saying there's been a noticeable increase in readymeal quality due to the airlines pivoting during COVID? I might just be misunderstanding
I've definitely seen an increase in the range of them available over the past three years, a bit like when the Co-Op suddenly decided to stock American candy for a few months because all the logistics lines shat themselves.

The R&D is more like in the years before then. Ready meals now are much better than they were 20 years ago, and a lot of that was funded by airlines.

I'm speculating that's less "airlines set up a ready meal brand to sell their stock they can't use" and more "airlines/transport in general weren't ordering at all from the factories that supply them, so those factories shifted into wholesaling under one or more of their existing marques."

There's some local street food vendors that moved into making ready meals over the past few years too, not sure how much of that was massively reduced footfall and how much was just something they wanted to do anyway.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

If you remove the need to be on top form because otherwise competitors will eat your lunch, the incentive immediately switches to cutting service quality to minimise expenditure when you have guaranteed revenue from the government, which is how all private provision services-that-should-be-the-government go for exactly that reason.

If you're going to fund something from the government you have to make it not privately owned because the key thing to remember is that private enterprises do not exist to provide any sort of service to their customers, that's just a thing they sometimes have to do in order to maximise the profits of the owners. As long as the profit motive is there it creates utterly perverse incentives when you combine it with guaranteed funding.

Yeah, every time I've thought about how to prevent food poverty occurring in even pretty bad economic crises, it always ends up with "nationalise the domestic supply chain for essential goods, including farms".
You could go further, to include things like chemical suppliers, too (and you'd end up probably having a positive impact on the environment in the process), but that's probably unnecessary if you've got enough oversight to avoid private firms scalping the public sector.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

The basic problem with private companies trying to run a national service is that you have two numbers: the government budget and the company's profits. The budget is expected to stay static in line with inflation or reduce, and the company's profits are expected to increase (otherwise they won't get any investment).

The directions these two numbers want to go in are fundamentally incompatible.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

A network of British Beerhalls across the country

E: public pubs

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

forkboy84 posted:

The Coop is presumably located in either the middle of the City, perhaps inside the Bank of England or is the only Coop inside Fortnum & Mason? Tenner for a jar of instant coffee? Aye, that's definitely 10% inflation

Coop have been jacking prices by 15p every single week without failure.
The Coop is also poo poo, his poo poo produces, smells like rear end most of the time and have incompetent idiots as staff. In conclusion, gently caress the coop.

Lidl/Aldi 4 lyfe

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Microplastics posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Restaurant

The country under siege and the nazis occupying the entire continent and they still managed to provide 3 course meals for £1 and sometimes turn a profit.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 13:27 on May 29, 2023

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Thing is no one here will ever revolt because they're all placated bootlickers. I thought the meal deal price skyrocketing beyond £3.50 would be enough, but no. Gammons are ham fisted.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Diet Crack posted:

Thing is no one here will ever revolt because they're all placated bootlickers. I thought the meal deal price skyrocketing beyond £3.50 would be enough, but no. Gammons are ham fisted.

Plenty of meat right there

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Diet Crack posted:

In conclusion, gently caress the coop.
Depends on the co-op, there's no single national or multinational the co-op, Southern Co-operative withdrew from the group of Midcounties Co-operative and Central England Co-operative do their own thing, etc.

That's about what you'd expect with worker co-ops and co-operative co-partnerships.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Guavanaut posted:

Depends on the co-op, there's no single national or multinational the co-op, Southern Co-operative withdrew from the group of Midcounties Co-operative and Central England Co-operative do their own thing, etc.

That's about what you'd expect with worker co-ops and co-operative co-partnerships.

I tried to use my Co-op card in Portsmouth (I think it was) to get the cheaper 'have a card' prices but they said no, they were a different co-op.

Also, co-op is more expensive than Waitrose and the canned food is absolutely vile with a shout out to co-op brand spaghetti hoops which are one of the most disgusting things I ever tried in my life.

fizzy
Dec 2, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Alchenar posted:

Why? Food prices are already basically as low as they can possibly go, there's already no profit in them which is why Supermarkets desperately try to upsell you on literally anything else. Likewise delivery is also basically commodified at this point. Conditions could definitely be better for people working in delivery, but you fix that by regulating that industry. There are no magical savings to be had in this idea by having the government try to run the service.

The wagon is already built and it's a pretty good wagon, just commission the service and move on. As posted above, there are secondary motivations that keep everything moving swimmingly and add to the economies of scale, there's no reason why you would want to gently caress this up by trying to do direct provision by the government.

An actual true blue believer in the magic of the free market is a treasure to be cherished.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

They don't seem very good at coöperating actually

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You can certainly make the argument that amazon has a lot of valuable institutional knowledge in how to run a massive distribution operation that the government would struggle to replicate, but the answer there has to be

fizzy posted:

Nationalize Amazon UK.

if you want to make use of it outside of the market.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
That book The People's Republic of Walmart made the case that Walmart was the biggest centrally -planned Western economy. It might be Amazon now though.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

fizzy posted:

An actual true blue believer in the magic of the free market is a treasure to be cherished.

Cherished? A treasure should be invested not cherished, so that it can begat more treasure

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

If pirates taught me anything it's that treasure buys rum, whores and new ships

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The free market is the most efficient system ever yet known for directing the activity of diverse groups of people across the entire globe in the interests of existing property rights.

At anything outside of that, like supposed natural or human rights, it's a bit less good. And left to its own devices it still manages to tulip bulb itself every 15-20 years.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah, it sort of works in the sense we sort of have a society, but it isn't primarily geared towards producing that society and we shouldn't assume that it isn't the cause of, or that it can be the solution to, the problems in society.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

smellmycheese posted:

Meanwhile in Corbyns Britain …

This is a CoOp in London apparently
9.35 GBP for 200g of Nescafe? :wow:

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

One of Thatcher and Reagan's worst victories was the atomisation of society. Any grand venture that could be best achieved by a united humanity is instantly destroyed by pedantic little tyrants going "Well I'm not paying for it! Not in my back yard! I'm not lending our resources to those people!"

Leaving space for those grand ventures like martian colonisation to be achieved only by dipshits with more money than god and entrenched further into the capitalist hellscape.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Radical idea: Boom all Boomers?

A sailboat boom to the temple, in minecraft ofcourse.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

cat botherer posted:

9.35 GBP for 200g of Nescafe? :wow:

Most of the coffees that iv'e tried taste like poo poo nowadays and the Douwe Egberts that i drink went up to £7 per jar... thinking of trying out loose leaf teas as an alternative. :rolleyes:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

smellmycheese posted:

Meanwhile in Corbyns Britain …

This is a CoOp in London apparently

there will be adequate food dummy products

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Some recipes for you all to enjoy:

https://www.heraldweekly.com/get-a-taste-of-the-most-bizarre-depression-era-foods/

quote:

Get a Taste of the Most Bizarre Depression-Era Foods

Necessity is the mother of all inventions as the saying goes. There can be no greater necessity than sourcing food. The Great Depression brought with it a crisis of nutrition as the rolling economic crashes of the 1930s destroyed livelihoods across the globe

eg:

quote:

A Whole New Way for Onions to Make You Cry
Bizarrely, someone got the idea to combine peanut butter and onions in what can only be described as a wildly unappetizing meal. This "Peanut Butter in Baked Onions" concoction is almost too surreal to be believed but it is well documented that the American Bureau of Home Economics published this recipe.

Can we afford peanut butter to stuff our onion with?

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Ma there's bits of orangutan in my palm oil again

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Speaking of food prices it so happens that my file of recipes has a list of ingredient prices in it (so i can easily find out how much a given meal costs) and i last updated (most of) it at the start of the pandemic when i had more free time

Well, i've updated it again today and decided to chart out the price increases.

this is all from sainsbury's, store brand unless noted otherwise

GARAM MASALA :argh:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Microplastics posted:

Speaking of food prices it so happens that my file of recipes has a list of ingredient prices in it (so i can easily find out how much a given meal costs) and i last updated (most of) it at the start of the pandemic when i had more free time

Nice chart :)

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
not really an essential for a lot of folk but stuff like bird seed/fat balls has more than doubled in cost since 2018

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Microplastics posted:

At least the cost of a tuna and chocolate onion cake has gone down a bit, that'll be a comfort in hard times.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Microplastics posted:

We used to have the State Management System, with a state beer, for 60 or so years. The New Model Inn's designed by Harry Redfern are lovely.

The beer, I am told, was pish parney.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Collateral posted:

The beer, I am told, was pish parney.

Is that the name of the beer or a description

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Custard creams have gone from 65p to 90p :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Microplastics posted:

Is that the name of the beer or a description

It was small beer with very little taste.