Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

NoiseAnnoys posted:

we could always trade him for the Salisbury tourists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

GABA ghoul posted:

I'm not sure why this is a huge deal. The US does that with allied nations too. The nukes remain under direct control of Russia and have PAL devices installed.

Those are easily circumvented once you have a PAL key. You first use it as normal, then you freeze the key and use it, then you heat the key and use it.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Cartoon Man posted:

Those are easily circumvented once you have a PAL key. You first use it as normal, then you freeze the key and use it, then you heat the key and use it.

A weapon to surpass Washing Machines?!?

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
It's still absurd that nuclear annihilation has lost (almost) all its teeth for threats and scaling it back by about 8 steps to blowing up internet cables would be tremendously more effective (not that Russia should, obviously)

Horrorosaurus
Oct 22, 2010

There was talk of linking certain Twitter account posts before, because they would sometimes post things that were a bit sus. Might this be the same one?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Credible nuclear threats are just as effective as ever; it's just that it's also pretty transparent when those threats are meant seriously and when they are just bluster.

Vaginaface
Aug 26, 2013

HEY REI HEY REI,
do vaginaface!

Dwesa posted:

Zelenskyi with a fake moustache and glasses requesting nukes on behalf of friendly Malorussian Peoples' Republic

President Walenskyi, wears purple camo pants and fitted tops with a deep V

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Gerashchenko_en/status/1663139540444250113
Take it with a grain of salt but reportedly a bomb threat was made in Moscow, aimed at the State Historical Museum.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

steinrokkan posted:

Credible nuclear threats are just as effective as ever; it's just that it's also pretty transparent when those threats are meant seriously and when they are just bluster.
Yeah but I don't think any nuclear threats can be credible because everyone knows at this point they lead to MAD.

zone posted:

https://twitter.com/Gerashchenko_en/status/1663139540444250113
Take it with a grain of salt but reportedly a bomb threat was made in Moscow, aimed at the State Historical Museum.
No idea if that's true but a bomb threat isn't particularly difficult to make so I wouldn't be surprised.

Vaginaface
Aug 26, 2013

HEY REI HEY REI,
do vaginaface!
Is that unusual in Russia? In the states bomb threats are like fire drills, just something that happens occasionally that nobody really takes too seriously

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Vaginaface posted:

Is that unusual in Russia? In the states bomb threats are like fire drills, just something that happens occasionally that nobody really takes too seriously

It's not occasionally, it's like every single time there's finals a student will call in a bomb threat to try and get an extra day to study.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

GABA ghoul posted:

I'm not sure why this is a huge deal. The US does that with allied nations too. The nukes remain under direct control of Russia and have PAL devices installed. If Kazakhstan(or whoever agrees to this) gets uppity one day the Russian officers on site and guarding the nukes probably have orders to scuttle them immediately.

My guess is they wouldn't even have to scuttle them cause they'll always be stored very close to a Russian military base that can take control of them back and fly them out in a couple of hours.

As if Russia would ever deliver actually functional nukes to their new servant's arsenal to begin with.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

GABA ghoul posted:

I'm not sure why this is a huge deal. The US does that with allied nations too. The nukes remain under direct control of Russia and have PAL devices installed. If Kazakhstan(or whoever agrees to this) gets uppity one day the Russian officers on site and guarding the nukes probably have orders to scuttle them immediately.

My guess is they wouldn't even have to scuttle them cause they'll always be stored very close to a Russian military base that can take control of them back and fly them out in a couple of hours.
Kazakhstan/Tokayev "appreciated his joke"

https://twitter.com/meduza_en/status/1663165416158420997

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Throwing so much shade at it that the whole of Belarus can no longer get any sunlight.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Neddy Seagoon posted:

What causes/enables them to target their own launcher like that? Wouldn't being behind the launching missile/torpedo prevent that just by its nature?

From what I understand, it's a two-point problem where

a) The missile tries to take into account what it thinks is the trajectory of an incoming round, so it will end up accidentally striking its own launcher if it assumes there is incoming fire from what it perceives as an intercept-able target.

b) Depending on the system, the missile may not take the ground into effect. I can't speak on Russian systems, but this was another problem with the early Patriot. It would try to intercept incoming fire, and due to the trajectory, the point of contact may be somewhere underground or even a mountain or tall building. This could end up causing collateral damage, so that's why Patriots now have the kill switches for this kind of situation.

My expertise isn't in these systems, but I've come across materials on them while reading for my job.

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

I prefered when time travel devices came with analog dials. This new one seems to be stuck on last century and keeps beeping about nuclear proliferation.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Saoshyant posted:

Throwing so much shade at it that the whole of Belarus can no longer get any sunlight.

They'll need to import it in cans...

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

mobby_6kl posted:

Yeah but I don't think any nuclear threats can be credible because everyone knows at this point they lead to MAD.

Yes, that's the point, nuclear threats are only credible in existential circumstances, and that's how it's always been

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

free hubcaps posted:

A weapon to surpass Washing Machines?!?

Under direct control of Washingmachineton.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1663182724323000323
loving seriously? are they trying to wipe out their entire stock of missiles?

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Someone has to blow up those schools and hospitals. It's denazifying those kids and cancer patients.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

zone posted:

One of these days they are going to scratch the paint on a Patriot launcher and it will make it all worth it

zone
Dec 6, 2016

steinrokkan posted:

One of these days they are going to scratch the paint on a Patriot launcher and it will make it all worth it

They already did that and crowed that they blew up the whole battery. Then later they quietly memoryholed that it ever happened and only the dumbest vatniks still bring up the "destroyed patriot battery" mostly out of desperation.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

zone posted:

Look like Russian negotiators were able to secure a bonanza contract for quassam rockets from technological powerhouse Hamas.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

madeintaipei posted:

You ever tried to fix a modern washing machine? If you can find the parts at all, they'll be just as expensive as buying a whole new unit.

Depends.

If its LG or Samsung or some other high end or European brand then yes it can really can get that expensive and hard to find the parts. If its Whirlpool or Maytag (they may as well be the same at this point) parts are usually easy to get and prices aren't bad at all. At least in the US anyways. Dunno about elsewhere.

So long as you're not replacing something that is too hard to get at its actually possible to fix it yourself as well with the help of a view DIY vids to walk you through it. If you have to start pulling the whole unit apart to get at 1 thing then IMO its not worth it but that is me. Depends on how much you value your time and how much money you've got sitting around to spend on a new unit.

jmnmu
Nov 21, 2004
f

Deptfordx posted:

drat. Read this about Sergei Shoigu and his ludicrous medal collection.

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1662937444310827008.html

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

This is pretty old. I don't think any of them are still defence minister. Other than Shoigu lol.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Broke: woke
Woke: wood

jmnmu
Nov 21, 2004
f

spankmeister posted:

This is pretty old. I don't think any of them are still defence minister. Other than Shoigu lol.

of course, who could outlast the great Shoigu and his fearsome array of military parade participant medals?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Vaginaface posted:

Nobody cares if it's a pipe bomb. If it's a smoking pipe, they shut down everything.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1663204693022048256
L bozo

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Was this a case of an obvious collaborator being too dumb to get a ride out of town when the Russians were fleeing, or did the Russians just refuse to take him?

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Deki posted:

Was this a case of an obvious collaborator being too dumb to get a ride out of town when the Russians were fleeing, or did the Russians just refuse to take him?

Doesn't mention, but maybe they were considered dispensable and left behind when the other occupiers fled.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy
E: Lol I have no idea where I got that idea. I'm wrong at least. VVV

Potrzebie fucked around with this message at 16:55 on May 29, 2023

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Don't know about the other three, but von der Leyen was never Foreign Minister.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Deptfordx posted:

drat. Read this about Sergei Shoigu and his ludicrous medal collection.

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1662937444310827008.html

quote:

24/ Shoigu's medal "For the return of Crimea" has an interesting story. Its existence was denied until 2018, when Shoigu first wore in it public. The medal dates the start of the operation to seize Crimea as "20.02.14" – while Viktor Yanukovych was still the president of Ukraine.

25/ Russian investigative journalists discovered that the contract for the medals was advertised as early as December 2013, only a month after the Euromaidan protests began in Kyiv, and were concluded on 13 January 2014, with Mosshtamp Plant LLC awarded the contract.

26/ This suggests that Russia was planning to seize Crimea well before Yanukovych was deposed on 22 February, and probably intended to seize it whatever the outcome of the protests and the 'referendum'. Russian propaganda had claimed Crimean was Russian since as early as 2001.

I can hear the goalposts shifting already.

"Russia only liberated Crimea in response to the illegal NATO coup!"
"Actually, Russia started publicly bragging about the upcoming seizure of Crimea months before Yanukovych fled."
"Russian is so prescient and adept in its intelligence gathering that it knew of the clumsy NATO coup months in advance!"

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

The missile barrages might partly be an attempt to run down Ukrainian air defenses as much as possible before the apparently fairly imminent Ukrainian assault. Russia is gonna want every Sukhoi and Mig in the air and on tank-killing duty when the Leopards finally start rolling towards the front lines, and not having air superiority due to effective Ukrainian AA will keep them from doing exactly that.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

barbecue at the folks posted:

The missile barrages might partly be an attempt to run down Ukrainian air defenses as much as possible before the apparently fairly imminent Ukrainian assault. Russia is gonna want every Sukhoi and Mig in the air and on tank-killing duty when the Leopards finally start rolling towards the front lines, and not having air superiority due to effective Ukrainian AA will keep them from doing exactly that.

I would simply not try to exhaust the enemy's new and proven AA capabilities with my precious, significantly-smaller-than-ideal supply of missiles by prioritizing bombing hospitals and schools with the vast majority consistently intercepted instead of trying to target enemy ammo dumps and training camps OP

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Neither side has air superiority or is flying regular close air support missions. Having loads of unfired Patriot missiles in Kyiv or Lviv wouldn't help at the frontline in any case.

beer_war fucked around with this message at 17:31 on May 29, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zone
Dec 6, 2016

barbecue at the folks posted:

Russians haven't hit the broad side of a barn with their planes for the most part on the fronts. Trenches and occasionally the hiding places of Ukrainian soldiers, but the majority of the destruction of Ukrainian armored equipment has been because of ATGMs, drones, mines, artillery, and a small portion of tank on tank/IFV on IFV or similar. They'd have better luck massing together as much artillery as possible along the routes of attack, though with how much of it bit the dust in recent days, they'll probably find themselves not having enough to cover all the parts of the defense network as they might like.