Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
Yeah, I'd probably recommend any class with a 1-2-3 combo for brand new players, and then recommend picking up one class of each role once they start wanting to experiment with other classes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

A good omen before savage week 1.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I really don't think any class in ffxiv is so complex as to befuddle anyone for many levels, just play whatever you think looks coolest. Playing "the beginner job" is just going to make you feel frustrated if you do bump into something that's difficult for you to grasp.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Also almost all of them are braindead until lv60 at the earliest anyway

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Countblanc posted:

I really don't think any class in ffxiv is so complex as to befuddle anyone for many levels

Samurai?

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

All the expansion jobs are kinda confusing at first since it’s a little overwhelming to have 50+ levels of skills dropped on you, but they don’t take much to get used to

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Chillgamesh posted:

All the expansion jobs are kinda confusing at first since it’s a little overwhelming to have 50+ levels of skills dropped on you, but they don’t take much to get used to

About half of them have good tutorial quests, at least. Samurai included.

Dancer, on the other hand...

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

on the other hand my partner bounced hard off BLM and prefers BRD, but she doesn't have mmo experience.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

BLM is terrible for beginners.

^ began as a BLM and still mains it.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

hopeandjoy posted:

agreed but i wasn't going to tell her no bc that would have just been 'ok i'm not playing then'

had to learn that lesson herself.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Archer/Bard is great for beginners. Source: I am a beginner and I started with it. Summoner is probably easier now, and high-level bard play is rough, but I felt it introduced its mechanics in a way that really made sense and made it all click for me as I leveled it back in the day. You can stand wherever you want, you don't need to worry about cast times, and you don't have to necessarily do things in specific orders.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Also the later class quests for BRD are very good and very gay.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

hopeandjoy posted:

I started as BLM, hated it, and gave it up at 50. Didn't touch it again until it was one of the last ones I had to level, and continued to hate it...for awhile. Now it's my favorite job. Low level BLM just blows.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I just recently did Black Mage 1-90, and it was fine the whole way. The worst thing I had to deal with was forgetting to use Transpose when synched down low enough. :shrug:

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

What makes it bad for beginners for me is not the complexity of the actions, but the fact it’s so very positioning based. This gets less the case at higher levels but when all you have is one Swiftcast and Scathe (lol) for movement, it’s hard.

But I mean I still picked BLM as a complete MMO noob and loved it all the way and still love it and main it.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Vargs posted:

I started as BLM, hated it, and gave it up at 50. Didn't touch it again until it was one of the last ones I had to level, and continued to hate it...for awhile. Now it's my favorite job. Low level BLM just blows.

I don't know when you did this, but they recently changed the BLM levelling experience to be better.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Honestly conjurer is the only class I wouldn't start as since you only get one attack button and a dot for how long and it will probably bore anyone outside of duties. Healing jobs are great secondary jobs to pick up though

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

hopeandjoy posted:

Also the later class quests for BRD are very good and very gay.
The Bard quest guys are probably my #1 choice for my "LET THEM KISS" rankings of all NPCs in this game

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Feldegast42 posted:

Honestly conjurer is the only class I wouldn't start as since you only get one attack button and a dot for how long and it will probably bore anyone outside of duties. Healing jobs are great secondary jobs to pick up though

I picked Conjurer under the thinking that it would become Summoner, then spent ~20 levels thinking it was boring as hell since it was nearly unkillable but took forever to kill anything before I finally realized it was a healer

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Regalingualius posted:

More specifically, to unlock jobs, you also have to have advanced the main story up to a certain point in addition to being level 30.

The good news is that they completely did away with the jankiness of classes and just made everything released since ARR start as a job right off the bat.

The bad news is that they tried something new when they decided to get rid of Classes and start everything as a Job: You can't get any of the three Heavensward Jobs until you finish all of the MSQ for A Realm Reborn, including all the 2.1-2.55 post-launch patch stuff. The zone they're picked up in is 100% locked off until the story takes you in there.

These Jobs are: Dark Knight (Tank), Astrologian (Healer), and Machinist (Ranged DPS).

Also, these three Jobs all start at Level 30, but as mentioned before, XP flows pretty well in this game, so it won't take too long to get them up to 50 so you can play them through the MSQ.

They learned their lession from this, and all other Jobs are available in one of the three starting cities, and start 20 levels below the level cap for the expansion they were released with.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

I just took Reaper out for a spin in casual after the patch change and holy moly does five seconds off Soul Slice's cooldown make a world of difference. I just trucked some poor fucker running for a medkit with a 30k Plentiful Harvest and can pretty consistently get enough stacks to hit for a solid mid five digits so long as I don't die. After that it's just a matter of saving your LB to spook enemies out of Guard and ruin their day.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

All jobs are bad to play at low levels anyways

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

https://twitter.com/voheiin1506/status/1662816065901195269?s=46&t=-83MqnB_46lmmYtdOkaTyg

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I like that she's laughing at her own post.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Other than Baked Eggplant, what raid food is mainly getting used this tier? I may have gone a bit overboard making collectables and need something to blow purple scrip on.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Thundarr posted:

Other than Baked Eggplant, what raid food is mainly getting used this tier? I may have gone a bit overboard making collectables and need something to blow purple scrip on.

Bard needs Baba Ghanoush, but that's going to be more relevant when people have more gear, since they're using it to make up a deficit caused by having no Skill Speed on their gear, which if you have crafted gear is not currently the case.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_m5rcdv6s0

RME
Feb 20, 2012

If you have excess purple scrips it might be worth checking the price of grade x crafting materia and comparing the Gil/scrip

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
SMN has an edge case where it uses canapes, but that's explicitly only if you're having trouble fitting enough casts into bahamut/phoenix and need the extra leeway.

e: also, I guess whm uses it too? According to the one in my static, at least.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Steelion posted:

SMN has an edge case where it uses canapes, but that's explicitly only if you're having trouble fitting enough casts into bahamut/phoenix and need the extra leeway.

I imagine us sickos who like to play SpS summoner would just eat them regardless. :v:

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

:perfect:

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

SpS Summoner is the road to madness, I simply rely on stacking the RNG in my favor with as much crit/DH as humanly possible :rolldice:

Decided to finally try playing a melee job, and I'm going with Dragoon as my first choice. I figure that if I can figure out this hot mess then the other melee jobs should come naturally.

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009

Kyrosiris posted:

I imagine us sickos who like to play SpS summoner would just eat them regardless. :v:

True! SpS summon is a ton of fun, but it's pretty weak this tier, so it's probably going to be somewhat less popular in general.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Who knew that the Island Sanctuary was actually the secret gay content.

My island has become the queer paradise hangout.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Steelion posted:

True! SpS summon is a ton of fun, but it's pretty weak this tier, so it's probably going to be somewhat less popular in general.

True, but consider: I like having the latitude to gently caress up and drift out of burst windows and it's not the *worst* thing in the world. :v:

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Steelion posted:

e: also, I guess whm uses it too? According to the one in my static, at least.

Sage will likewise eat Canapes in bis I believe. At least, it's the solution that both the Balance and my janky home-made Sage sim/simulated annealing meld solver arrived at, by a very small margin.

However, I believe baked eggplants are preferable for a lot of the on-the-way gear sets. Canapes win when you're at +190ish to +210ish SpS from gear, where they happen to breakpoint nicely.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Xerophyte posted:

Sage will likewise eat Canapes in bis I believe. At least, it's the solution that both the Balance and my janky home-made Sage sim/simulated annealing meld solver arrived at, by a very small margin.

However, I believe baked eggplants are preferable for a lot of the on-the-way gear sets. Canapes win when you're at +190ish to +210ish SpS from gear, where they happen to breakpoint nicely.

Just out of general curiosity: is there ever a breakpoint where SpS starts becoming actively detrimental to SGE? I've always wondered if Eukrasia as a mechanic makes dipping below a certain point threshhold detrimental if the animation lock outlasts the shorter GCD.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
no, because iirc sks and sps can't reduce a skill's cast or recast time below 1.5s, and if a skill has a base cast/recast time of 1.5s or lower, it's entirely unaffected by those stats

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
I was def planning on going canapes for rdm. am i being a dumb?

more crit more better!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Red Metal posted:

no, because iirc sks and sps can't reduce a skill's cast or recast time below 1.5s, and if a skill has a base cast/recast time of 1.5s or lower, it's entirely unaffected by those stats

Even if it did, it's not mathematically possible for a speed stat to actually hurt you because of clipping or the like. Worst case scenario is you just don't benefit from the speed increase. It might be clipping limiting your speed in practice, or buff alignment or resource gain forcing you to manually (and probably very awkwardly) delay down to a lower speed. In either case adding more speedstat is never going to make those limits on your effective speed any worse. They were always there, speed can just potentially enable you to reach them.

Speed is slightly worse for Sage than it could be, partly because neither Eukrasia nor Eukrasian [Greek Word] casts benefit from it and partly because GCD drift makes maintaining your dot somewhat awkward. It's still a good dps stat; just one that the current gear doesn't have a lot of, assuming that the datamined savage stats are the ones we're actually getting.

It's also a stat whose value tends to be dominated by your ability to hit the enormous breakpoint intervals efficiently. The Sage gear set-ups that eat Canapes do so because the food puts you just over the 2.45 GCD breakpoint. You'd need to find ~60 SpS more somewhere before SpS does anything again.