Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Game idea:

Warhammer 40K: Arbites, basically SWAT 4 or Rainbow Six but Warhammer, FPS tactical shooting where sometimes you have to defuse a hostage situation or bomb threat, sometimes you have to breach a void ship and neutralize a bunch of heretics or genestealer cultists, and sometimes you kick down a door and lob in a flashbang to find out you just interrupted a Daemonhost summoning ritual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Xenomrph posted:

Game idea:

Warhammer 40K: Arbites, basically SWAT 4 or Rainbow Six but Warhammer, FPS tactical shooting where sometimes you have to defuse a hostage situation or bomb threat, sometimes you have to breach a void ship and neutralize a bunch of heretics or genestealer cultists, and sometimes you kick down a door and lob in a flashbang to find out you just interrupted a Daemonhost summoning ritual.

Even more game idea: thats just you taking your warband on a side mission in an actually good inquisitor rpg

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Xenomrph posted:

Game idea:

And sometimes you have to go gun down some rioting civilians with heavy weapons.

Just keep telling yourself they're all secret genestealer cultists. Honest.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Z the IVth posted:

And sometimes you have to go gun down some rioting civilians with heavy weapons.

Just keep telling yourself they're all secret genestealer cultists. Honest.

Food is for the Faithful

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/05/28/sunday-preview-start-new-adventures-into-the-underworlds/

You want some books? Course ya do!

Well a book I suppose, since all we get for pre-order next weekend is the limited edition of Yndrasta: The Celestial Spear by Noah Van Nguyen.

As per usual, limited to 1250 copies, no idea how hotly wanted this one is so you might get a chance if you want it.
No promises though.

If audiobooks are more your thing, then you have two things to look forward to. As we have audiobook versions of Ciaphas Cain: Choose Your Enemies and Fall of Damnos going up for pre-order.
Although the second one is a Nick Kyme book. So order at your own peril.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/05/28/sunday-preview-start-new-adventures-into-the-underworlds/

Well a book I suppose, since all we get for pre-order next weekend is the limited edition of Yndrasta: The Celestial Spear by Noah Van Nguyen.

As per usual, limited to 1250 copies, no idea how hotly wanted this one is so you might get a chance if you want it.
No promises though.

If audiobooks are more your thing, then you have two things to look forward to. As we have audiobook versions of Ciaphas Cain: Choose Your Enemies and Fall of Damnos going up for pre-order.

It's been a real slow news day at BL ever since End and the Death vol 1. Just announce part 2 already! We know it's ready to go!

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Waroduce posted:

The more I think about it, if there is a twist to the last Horus Heresy book I think, The Angel falls to the black rage, successfully and possibly easily murking Horus, The Emperor walks in, gets totally run over by The Angel, finally kills him but He is too wounded and get shoved into the throne to preserve "today".

For the Angel and Horus, the gods withdraw their powers when they see Horus faltering, maybe the switch horses midstream and try to bless The Angel or he falls so heavily toward Khorne they're just like....oh alright than.

alternatively, it could just play out mostly the way we know it.

The whole time waning thin and it never being tomorrow should be explored more although it could be as simple as the Emperor deciding not to lose and Humanity's clock being forever midnight. I haven't really been able to find any super interesting thoughts about it.

They’re heavily foreshadowing that Sanguinius is already badly, maybe mortally, wounded from his fight with Angron, and that’s the wound that Horus will exploit to kill him.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Sermon of Exodus (from War Without End) is so fun because it's obvious Stephen Perring is having a lot of fun reading it. A lot of weird noises and yelling and strange calls of demons and such.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Cooked Auto posted:

No promises though.

Van Nguyen is good and cover looks great so I'm tempted

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Fall of Damnos wasn't awful but I'm not sure I'd use actual earth money on it.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

What if Sanguinius has his final vision of the future, and then says: "Blood for the Emperor! Skulls for the Golden Throne!"

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

sharknado slashfic posted:

Fall of Damnos wasn't awful but I'm not sure I'd use actual earth money on it.

I got it from a humble bundle. it was fine for that price, wouldn't buy it specifically

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Biplane posted:

After seeing the trailer for Speed Freeks I want more even further off base warhammer videogames, like give me Administratum Scribe Simulator or Factorum: Forge world.

Administratum: Scribe Simulator is about 10 minutes of Mavis Pharus Teaches Typing, followed by a brutally violent FPS as one faction of the Administratum attempts to subjugate another to enforce filing system orthodoxy.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

Fearless posted:

Administratum: Scribe Simulator is about 10 minutes of Mavis Pharus Teaches Typing, followed by a brutally violent FPS as one faction of the Administratum attempts to subjugate another to enforce filing system orthodoxy.

You say that like it's a bad thing.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

And if you get something wrong, or even notice a detail that might be off, or know too much, you'll get assassinated.
How do you determine those things?
You don't.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

OPAONI posted:

You say that like it's a bad thing.

You're mistaken! The typing course is to ensure that players are at an appropriate level of fury before the slaughter amongst the stacks begins.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

A Monkey Island style point and clicker where you're an imperial scribe that gets into into Douglas Adams-esque escalating administratum hijinks.

You start off looking for a lost and depressed servo skull and end the game administratively deleting the Segmentus Pacifica.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Fearless posted:

You're mistaken! The typing course is to ensure that players are at an appropriate level of fury before the slaughter amongst the stacks begins.

This was my favourite part of the first Dark Imperium book.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Are the Old Ones and the Slann the same thing in 40K? I know Age of Sigmar has the Slann but I swear they were a 40K race too. Am I crazy?

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Xenomrph posted:

Are the Old Ones and the Slann the same thing in 40K? I know Age of Sigmar has the Slann but I swear they were a 40K race too. Am I crazy?

I thought the Old Ones created the Slann too, but the Slann are "closest" to the Old Ones out of their creations.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Xenomrph posted:

Slann were a Rogue Trader thing where they were called the "Old Slann". Their place in the setting has been entirely usurped by the Old Ones and they've never been mentioned again.

AnEdgelord fucked around with this message at 15:43 on May 29, 2023

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

There's a Heresy short story that kinda mentions one I think

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Xenomrph posted:

Slann are kinda sorta a thing in 40k as general lizardmen, but it's one of those small tidbits of lore that hasn't been touched in a long time.

Old Ones have actually gotten more lore somewhat recently, and it's implied that several are maybe kicking around or have the potential to return.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Brendan Rodgers posted:

I thought the Old Ones created the Slann too, but the Slann are "closest" to the Old Ones out of their creations.

They are described as servants of the Old Ones and that's all, although there are hints that both races may be vaguely similar. In my head canon, both of them are part of the same race, the slann being the lower caste of younger unenlightened members of the species and the Old Ones are the higher caste of transcendent beings, similar to the "Old Ones" in Heinlein's novel 'Stranger in a strange land', minus the discorporation part.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

So are the Slann sort of a shared element between Age of Sigmar and 40K, like the Chaos gods?

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Xenomrph posted:

So are the Slann sort of a shared element between Age of Sigmar and 40K, like the Chaos gods?

Yes, though very very ephemeral in 40k. Similarly the skaven were maybe supposed to be in 40k but got morphed into Hrud.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Xenomrph posted:

Initially yes but less so than the specific types of elves and orks and the general concept of the old ones. The fantasy and sci-fi settings shared a vague common history where the fantasy setting was seemingly taking place on a planet, possibly in the eye of terror, where the old ones were fiddling around with making new races to fight chaos. However that sandbox planet was hastily abandoned by the old ones which led to all the fun dumb things in the setting. That lasted until Games Workshop decided to take the financially underperforming fantasy setting (which was underperforming due to low investment) and kill it very sloppily so that it's corpse could be remade into Age of Sigmar which is not financially underperforming (because they have invested in it).

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

Wrath, hate, pain, and death!

Telsa Cola posted:

Yes, though very very ephemeral in 40k. Similarly the skaven were maybe supposed to be in 40k but got morphed into Hrud.

we were robbed

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The Old Ones are a shared element, being driven off the world of Fantasy by the coming of chaos and dying out in the embers of the war in heaven in 40k. The Slann don't really come up in 40k; they might be one of the many creations of the Old Ones still out there or they might not.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

The loving cowards should put the Skavens in 40k. Just bing bang boom there they come. They were stuck in a webway appendix, and when it bursts, small gates open up under any large concentration of sentient beings. Hive fleets, hive cities, anything. The Great Horned One storms Grandaddy's garden and His domain is split in half. The rats essentially counter the nids because the psychic impact of their ravenous hunger works as a warp jackhammer and the galaxy enters a new era of chaotic balance.

Black Griffon fucked around with this message at 21:45 on May 29, 2023

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Apparently the space dwarves have been just hanging around all this time and no one knew it so anything is possible

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
It really feels like 40k is going to be getting more AoS style minifactions and new army lists on a more frequent basis

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Black Griffon posted:

The loving cowards should put the Skavens in 40k. Just bing bang boom there they come. They were stuck in a webway appendix, and when it bursts, small gates open up under any large concentration of sentient beings. Hive fleets, hive cities, anything. The Great Horned One storms Grandaddy's garden and His domain is split in half. The rats essentially counter the nids because the psychic impact of their ravenous hunger works as a warp jackhammer and the galaxy enters a new era of chaotic balance.

I don't know much about AoS but I remember something about the Skaven there being able to burrow into any of the different "Realms" from the "under" their "plane"? That would be perfect to translate into an invasion of the Milky Way and the Webway.

The Horned Rat could be a warp manifestation of the squalor of Imperial Hives.

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 22:06 on May 29, 2023

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

Wrath, hate, pain, and death!

I like the meme option with the imperium being the skaven

BigShasta
Oct 28, 2010
I kind of thought the leader of the Cabal in 30k was a Slann. I don't think it's called out but it seems like the character description was written to reference that old lore.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

The Slann as a living race is an WHF/AoS thing only. They were, briefly, a thing in 40k. But after 1st edition they disappeared and the Old Ones stepped into to fill in that gap when Andy Chambers was lead writer.

The art in the 4th ed core book can be seen as a bit of an outlier and is most likely just them reusing old Blanche art that they thought were neat.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Which is a crime because I want space lizards dammit

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Benagain posted:

Which is a crime because I want space lizards dammit

Zoats are back, kinda

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Telsa Cola posted:

Zoats are back, kinda

A specific Zoat is back, lol

Given that Necromunda has a couple squata long before the Votann/Squat Prospectors released, I almost wouldn't be surprised to see some sort of small Zoat army or killteam that can be brought along as mercs by other armies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/05/31/witness-the-fall-of-cadia-with-a-bonanza-of-astra-militarum-releases-from-black-library

We get a surprisingly busy Black Library wednesday, all dedicated to just the Imperial Guard.
Or as I would like to call this, too much Cadia.

First up we have Fall of Cadia by Robert Rath.

Not sure what I feel about yet another book dealing with Cadia's destruction. Because the first Minka Lesk book was boring as all hell to read frankly.

It'll be available first in a giant whizzbang special edition. Available in a 'staggering' 1750 copies. So it'll be in the store for about a minute longer than usual.

Second we have a collectors edition of Honourbound by Rachel Harrison.

This one will be available in 1500 copies.
Also not a book I was all too enthused with while reading the first regular edition. Relied too much on "Here's cool thing. Oops, now they're all dead to show that poo poo has gone real and to show how serious the bad guys are" as a narrative device.
That and the open ending promising a sequel that has yet to materialise.

Speaking of Minka Lesk, there will also be a collectors edition of the new book about her, Shadow of the Eighth by Justin D Hill.

quote:

[The novel] follows Minka and the Cadian 101st as they discover a relic of the Cadian 8th – thought lost in the planet’s fall – and set out to right a grievous wrong perpetrated by the forces of Chaos.
The plot feels like the usual stuff.

The novel release is also accompanied by the model release of the main character. Which I'm far more interested in. Although Heavy Metal painting doesn't do the face much favours. Which isn't exactly new.

But fret not if you missed the CE version, because the regular hardback version of Shadow of the Eight will follow shortly. Alongside an anthology of her previous stories.

But wait, there's more! We also have a CE version of Creed: Ashes of Cadia by Jude Reid.

quote:

Roboute Guilliman sends Creed back to the site of her world’s extinction – the drifting wreckage of Cadia itself – in search of her father’s final battle plans

Then there'll be a regular hardback at some point later on.
Not sure why they're suddenly pushing out a bunch of CE editions of books they've already announced.

Coming up towards the end here we have Longshot by Rob Young getting a release at last. (The announcement was in January of all things.)
Then we also have a paperback release of Kasrkin by Edoardo Albert.

quote:

In Longshot, a legendary sharpshooter must decide whether to watch her comrades fall to xenos influence or become the figurehead she never wanted to be

Lastly, there's a print on demand run for couple of the early Gaunt's Ghosts books.

And to cap things off, they also announced a special full color canvas Tanith First and Only banner.

I would want to be excited about it, but at only 1500 copies it'll disappear before you even have a chance to load the browser.