Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Who’s an adorable little puppy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

mooseinfants posted:

Why would Tony have given Cody the book? All his ideas stuck out in a bad way the last year of his run in AEW. I think it was probably a title. Tony would have understood that Cody as champ would have been a red hot angle.

I highly doubt he left because of not being the AEW champ. Cody's a mark for himself, not a belt mark. He wanted the book because his dad had the book under Jim Crockett, and he wants to be seen as being just as good as his dad was, both in-ring and behind the scenes. He was willing to take himself out of AEW world title contention to show that he wasn't going to put himself over as the top guy, unlike Dusty who was always viewed as the top face during the majority of his JCP run. It's just Cody's misfortune that the two biggest wrestling companies are run by guys who are absolute control freaks when it comes to booking their shows (though at least Tony Khan isn't a complete rear end in a top hat about it).

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Sydney Bottocks posted:

It's just Cody's misfortune that the two biggest wrestling companies are run by guys who are absolute control freaks when it comes to booking their shows (though at least Tony Khan isn't a complete rear end in a top hat about it).

I think it’s more his misfortune that he sucked at booking. Sucked rear end. Terrible. Stinky!

If the weigh in segments, gender reveals, and fake unearned retirement angles were indicative of how Cody would book the rest of the show then Tony was right to protect his TV deal and the future of AEW and pro wrestling from Cody’s bad brain

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

JUNGLE BOY posted:

I think it’s more his misfortune that he sucked at booking. Sucked rear end. Terrible. Stinky!

If the weigh in segments, gender reveals, and fake unearned retirement angles were indicative of how Cody would book the rest of the show then Tony was right to protect his TV deal and the future of AEW and pro wrestling from Cody’s bad brain

Folks, :v:

In all seriousness, though, no dude is gonna leave the wrestling company they helped start up, where they and their wife both have cushy EVP gigs as well as being on-air talent, and go back to the company that ground him into (star)dust in the first place, just because they didn't get a run as the new company's champ (which is a title that he took himself out of contention for to begin with). He almost certainly left because he wanted to be the top creative guy in AEW, the way his dad was in JCP during the 1980s.

This is also why it's extremely funny that he didn't even get to win the new World Participation Trophy belt that we all assumed WWE created specially just for him :laugh:

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
you never give an active wrestler the book... its just smart business

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

you never give an active wrestler the book... its just smart business

In Dusty's case during his runs as the booker in WCW and TNA, he still didn't let "not being an active wrestler" prevent him from trying to get himself over as the top guy :v:

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
That all makes sense, but I still don’t get why you’d then go to a place where you likely get absolutely zero creative control over any part of your work. Unless he’s waiting out Vince and/or Hunter to die and hope he gets lucky with the book.

Maybe there’s another world where he’s at AEW a little longer and Tony just lets him book ROH to keep him happy or something.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Sydney Bottocks posted:

In Dusty's case during his runs as the booker in WCW and TNA, he still didn't let "not being an active wrestler" prevent him from trying to get himself over as the top guy :v:

dusty wanted to be a wrestling producer, baby

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Cody wanted to be The Guy at aew but couldnt. might as well go get paid.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
cody threw himself through a burning table and still teh ungrateful fans wouldnt cheer him

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:
Cody must have thought "they're going to put me over, there's no one else to beat Roman, they basically put down any contenders. They're not going to bury me. I'm going to win at mania."

:lol: and now here we are

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
cody having seen vince feed an uncountable number of wrestlers to brock to satiate his hunger decided that wouldnt happen to him because he's a rhodes not realizing that vince may very well love humiliating the rhodes more than anyone else

Majinfoose
Jul 26, 2007

HOLY SHIT
This vegan brisket is bussin

Miching Mallecho posted:

Cody must have thought "they're going to put me over, there's no one else to beat Roman, they basically put down any contenders. They're not going to bury me. I'm going to win at mania."

:lol: and now here we are

Cody should have a new name

Mark :smug:

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
he put your daddy in polka dots

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:
I can't wait for when they get to mania next year and go "you know, we're close to 2000 days...what's one more month. Cody, pal, I'll owe you one"

:lol:

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Cody: "But when I signed the contract I got it in writing 'Cody will win at Wrestlemania', I made SURE to get that"
Vince/HHH: "But it doesn't say which Wrestlemania, does it?"

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Cael posted:

Cody: "But when I signed the contract I got it in writing 'Cody will win at Wrestlemania', I made SURE to get that"
Vince/HHH: "But it doesn't say which Wrestlemania, does it?"

Also didn't specify last name. "Wrestling has more than one family", I hear Cody Hall's been wanting to make a comeback, and I know the perfect loser for him to beat to do it

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
cody chodes

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Answers Me posted:

That all makes sense, but I still don’t get why you’d then go to a place where you likely get absolutely zero creative control over any part of your work. Unless he’s waiting out Vince and/or Hunter to die and hope he gets lucky with the book.

Maybe there’s another world where he’s at AEW a little longer and Tony just lets him book ROH to keep him happy or something.

He’s just having a little tantrum. He’ll get it out of his system and then he’ll be back. Just like Sasha Banks

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Miching Mallecho posted:

I can't wait for when they get to mania next year and go "you know, we're close to 2000 days...what's one more month. Cody, pal, I'll owe you one"

:lol:

How are they gonna get close to 2000 days in the next 300 days

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

History Comes Inside! posted:

How are they gonna get close to 2000 days in the next 300 days

hulk hogan math brother

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Roman was sent into space where time passes more quickly

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Answers Me posted:

Because even with wanting to be the booker like his dad was and all, he still has bills to pay and a wrestler's ego to feed; so in that regard, he really only had one of two choices:

1. Go back to the indies or Japan (or a combination of the two)
2. Go back to WWE

#1 is out because working the indies likely won't be able to pay him what he feels he's worth; and while going back to Japan would probably have paid him quite well, it'd also require him to either relocate over there for a period of time, or else have to fly back and forth between his booked dates there. #2 was really his only option, in terms of not just money but also in terms of ego: both being on a grand stage once more, and also being paid what he feels he's worth. Additionally, he could possibly get a lighter WWE road schedule as a condition of his return (since he'd just become a father not long before coming back to WWE, so he probably doesn't want to spend a lot of time away from his family). And as others have said, he likely deluded himself into thinking "things will be different this time".

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Cody got all high on being [former] AEW HHH, and forgot that he can never ever defeat WWE HHH or even current AEW HHH Jeff Jarrett

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Chris James 2 posted:

Also didn't specify last name. "Wrestling has more than one family", I hear Cody Hall's been wanting to make a comeback, and I know the perfect loser for him to beat to do it

Also didn't specify opponent so Cody will win the United States title by beating Luther Reigns at WM40

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

So is that Karl Frederick's as the wish.com Shingo or is it someone else?

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Did HHH rename Butch to Pete Dunne yet?

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

JUNGLE BOY posted:

Did HHH rename Butch to Pete Dunne yet?

Excuse me they're only on Year 1 of the 7-Year Plan to explain Butch's transition back to Pete Dunne, this is Long Term Storytelling

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

SatoshiMiwa posted:

So is that Karl Frederick's as the wish.com Shingo or is it someone else?

yiff.com Shingo

mooseinfants
Dec 22, 2014

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I highly doubt he left because of not being the AEW champ. Cody's a mark for himself, not a belt mark. He wanted the book because his dad had the book under Jim Crockett, and he wants to be seen as being just as good as his dad was, both in-ring and behind the scenes. He was willing to take himself out of AEW world title contention to show that he wasn't going to put himself over as the top guy, unlike Dusty who was always viewed as the top face during the majority of his JCP run. It's just Cody's misfortune that the two biggest wrestling companies are run by guys who are absolute control freaks when it comes to booking their shows (though at least Tony Khan isn't a complete rear end in a top hat about it).

Yeah I get all that. I was meaning that Cody could have asked Tony for the title, and Tony would have given it to him, but that's not what he wanted. He wanted the book, which Tony wouldn't have given him. If Cody thinks he could have asked Tony for the book and that Tony would have given it to him, why would Cody have left? Unless you think Cody is lying about that, which I've heard is something he really enjoys.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
https://twitter.com/BrandonThurston/status/1663315805050642436

I'm not sure what thread this goes in? WWE is citing the fake AEW billion dollar extension rumor that was not real in MLW's lawsuit against them. :laffo:

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

MJeff posted:

https://twitter.com/BrandonThurston/status/1663315805050642436

I'm not sure what thread this goes in? WWE is citing the fake AEW billion dollar extension rumor that was not real in MLW's lawsuit against them. :laffo:

Its cool that all the lawyers that cited cultaholic before the United States government probably make more in an hour than I do in a week.

E:
Yeah McDevitt charges 950 an hour to cite cultaholic videos

projecthalaxy fucked around with this message at 00:05 on May 30, 2023

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

mooseinfants posted:

Yeah I get all that. I was meaning that Cody could have asked Tony for the title, and Tony would have given it to him, but that's not what he wanted. He wanted the book, which Tony wouldn't have given him. If Cody thinks he could have asked Tony for the book and that Tony would have given it to him, why would Cody have left? Unless you think Cody is lying about that, which I've heard is something he really enjoys.

I mean, I'm pretty sure he probably did tell Tony he wanted the book and Tony told him no, or at least they likely had a conversation along those lines. I'm pretty sure if TK had given him the head booker position, he probably wouldn't have left, because he'd have gotten what he wanted.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
if only cody had been given the book then he could have gotten the fans to cheer him

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

projecthalaxy posted:

Its cool that all the lawyers that cited cultaholic before the United States government probably make more in an hour than I do in a week.

E:
Yeah McDevitt charges 950 an hour to cite cultaholic videos

They should send Cultaholic a charcuterie board in exchange for them writing a listicle on how WWE isn't a monopoly and then cite that article to the US government.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Wrestling law > wrestling journalism

Integrated Houston
Oct 21, 2008
Don’t forget the rumor that Cody didn’t just want the book, he wanted “CM Punk money” also.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
When was the last time an active wrestler had the book in a major promotion? Given Tony Khan is a big wrestling history nerd, I feel like he might be a bit wary if the latest example was still Big Sexy's tenure in WCW.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

A serious question.

Was it ever confirmed/denied that Bo Dallas was Uncle Howdy? And if he was/is, does he still work for WWE doing nothing whilst his brother is injured?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://twitter.com/patricktheheel/status/1663372654781317121?t=wtLv_InX7lGHX5UA57Fhpw&s=19