Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

They'll just replenish it by having a second plane crash with new survivors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

SurgicalOntologist posted:

Very disappointing. I think I'll rewatch season 1 of the Terror to clear my pallette. Obviously going for a very different tone, but has enough similarities that it keeps coming up for me. Highly recommended for anyone looking for more vaguely supernatural wilderness survival horror with cannibalism.

I endorse Barkskins as a vaguely supernatural wilderness show. <10 tight episodes with what I thought was a good ending

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Spiteski posted:

They'll just replenish it by having a second plane crash with new survivors.

I 100% believe this will happen by season 4. Like, another team was flying to the championships too

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Escape Goat posted:

Is murdering a cabin full of teenagers better than murdering say half of them in order to survive?

Burning a cabin full of cannibal cultist killers is much better than leaving them alive to do more murders

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The weird thing is that Misty had just talked him out of suicide the previous day. It may have even been earlier on that same day. Coach is a fickle bitch.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
And they all froze to death the very next night. The end.

Nihonniboku posted:

Showtime ruins everything it touches.

angerbeet posted:

We still don’t know who pooped in the pee bucket.

It was Showtime.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

They still haven't found the tail section survivors.

KIT HAGS
Jun 5, 2007
Stay sweet
Coach was rescued but didn’t tell his recuerda who he was or who he was with. He assumed a new identity in Canada. Implausible? Yes. For this show? No.

I enjoy this show. Not everything has to be award winning cerebral poo poo. I may have used that word wrong but my point is it’s not upsetting when you just take it for what it is. RIP piss bucket.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Coach becomes a lumberjack in Canada?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Cugel the Clever posted:

lol I don't even know what's going on in this thread. Binged season two in the last couple days and it was an absolute delight. Excepting that adult Taissa's storyline this season just served as a vehicle to pull Van in, everything was a blast. I don't know that I can think of anything else that manages to balance dark comedy with genuine horror like this—the former typically erodes all impact of the latter, but they make it work.

Barry, particularly seasons 3 and 4. It's a different type of horror but I've absolutely described stretches of it as a horror film. Not comparing the shows 1:1 but this reference point brought it to mind.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Escape Goat posted:

Is murdering a cabin full of teenagers better than murdering say half of them in order to survive?

This is genuinely an interesting discussion question. He is so horrified by the cannibalism that he......... murders everyone? :thunk:

And they haven't even actually murdered someone for food yet (wellllllll... unless you count dragging feet to pull Javi out of the ice)

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I just skipped over like 95 posts in this thread so I’m gonna say if everyone in that gap defended season 2 as a whole they are a freak

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Spacebump posted:

That finale owned and I'm shocked at how many people disliked it. Elijah Wood absolutely killed every scene.

How many characters are even left in the past that we haven't seen in the present timeline? Seems like they only have 2-3 characters left they can kill over the next 3 seasons.

I'm pretty sure that the two randos (Melissa and...Gen?), Mari, Akliah, and Ben are the only ones still alive as teens with no confirmation of whether or not they made the rescue.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Tagra posted:

This is genuinely an interesting discussion question. He is so horrified by the cannibalism that he......... murders everyone? :thunk:

And they haven't even actually murdered someone for food yet (wellllllll... unless you count dragging feet to pull Javi out of the ice)

Yeah I found it interesting that most people seem to think the coach was right to burn the cabin, he doesn't even fully know what happened...

Raivin
Jan 9, 2002
Pillbug
It's less that Ben was right and more that he's reached a point of hunger, despair, and delusion that it's a shocking twist that actually befits the character. More believable than Walter pulling his Adrian Veidt-like gambit on the world's dumbest cop and it actually working.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

that magic song was really annoying too

e: not watching season 3

Mantis42 fucked around with this message at 01:11 on May 29, 2023

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Mantis42 posted:

This is the only incorrect post in this entire thread.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

CODChimera posted:

Yeah I found it interesting that most people seem to think the coach was right to burn the cabin, he doesn't even fully know what happened...

He knows enough? What else does he need to know, they're a bunch of evil little freaks?

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Could be misdirection with the coach. This is Showtime after all. It could have been the wilderness.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The wilderness is always telling us to burn things even IRL

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Just need to remind everyone of the important detail that he was in fact only assistant coach and this minor detail informs his character motivations in a major way. You see,

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Do matches even burn frozen wood at that temperature without some sort of accelerant?

I'll say one thing, burning down the cabin may really breathe new life into the show. Or episode two of season three they get a new cabin.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I haven't been crazy about Juliette Lewis in this but I actually thought that the scene with her on the dream airplane as she's dying was really well-acted and affecting. There's a hysteria there of someone who's been trying to die for years and only figures out too late that they don't actually want to.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Escobarbarian posted:

I just skipped over like 95 posts in this thread so I’m gonna say if everyone in that gap defended season 2 as a whole they are a freak

I am a freak and proud of it

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Mantis42 posted:

I AM GRANDO posted:

This is the only incorrect post in this entire thread.

I also did not like the magic song :shrug:. That and the Sad But True cover were the worst parts of the episode for me.

I also thought the Killing Moon cover was an odd choice (although not offensive) and thought "I guess they couldn't license the original", but then the original started playing which made it an even odder choice...

UltraShame
Nov 6, 2006

Vocabulum.
The just need to dial it the gently caress back with the music. Yes it can punctuate things greatly and provide provide provide insight. But they are using it like they're the Stranger Things guys.

Using "Something in the Way" when they did. Great.

"Bullet with Butterfly Wings" lol.

But Bullet with Butterfly wings is an almost universal lol, because of wrestling frontman and super-genius William Corgan.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
It sounds like all the people who hate the music just listen to way too much music because i have no idea what 97% of the songs are and i don't notice a thing

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
"listen to too much music" lmao 90% of the song choices are stuff normal aged people heard in highschool and poo poo.

Sad but true cover was better than the original but there's not a Metallica song in existence where that's not the case multiple times over.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Khanstant posted:

Sad but true cover was better than the original but there's not a Metallica song in existence where that's not the case multiple times over.

The gently caress!?

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Khanstant posted:

"listen to too much music" lmao 90% of the song choices are stuff normal aged people heard in highschool and poo poo.

Yes that is indeed listening to too much music

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Yes that is indeed listening to too much music

this is pretty dumb buddy

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Turn down that music, don't you think you've heard enough for one lifetime?

nwin posted:

The gently caress!?

They're a great cover band, as in a great band for other people to cover. I'm pretty sure I even heard a death magnetic cover that almost made it worth listening to.

Raivin
Jan 9, 2002
Pillbug

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

It sounds like all the people who hate the music just listen to way too much music because i have no idea what 97% of the songs are and i don't notice a thing

I graduated high school 2 years after these characters so the songs are total nostalgia bait. That said, most of the needle drops are awkwardly ham-fisted and it definitely got worse when they changed music supervisors between seasons 1 and 2.

Climbing Up The Walls during the Jackie feast and Jeff's cringey gently caress The Police car stereo jam fest were all we needed.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Raivin posted:

I graduated high school 2 years after these characters so the songs are total nostalgia bait. That said, most of the needle drops are awkwardly ham-fisted and it definitely got worse when they changed music supervisors between seasons 1 and 2.

Climbing Up The Walls during the Jackie feast and Jeff's cringey gently caress The Police car stereo jam fest were all we needed.

Yeah I graduated in 94 so even if the needle drops suck my defenses are weakened from Nostalgia overload. Nat even looks like a girl I had a crush on in high school

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Jeff's cringey Last Resort stress relief was also great. Props to the actor and writers because they manage to make the character an endearing dope. Expecting him to tragically get the knife before the show's over, likely betrayed by Shauna or Callie.

Inside Misty's mind also had me cackling.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baKr1q3J9MI

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Cugel the Clever posted:

Jeff's cringey Last Resort stress relief was also great. Props to the actor and writers because they manage to make the character an endearing dope. Expecting him to tragically get the knife before the show's over, likely betrayed by Shauna or Callie the Wilderness.

Inside Misty's mind also had me cackling.

Christian Ricci + Elijah Woods in a fantastic combo. If we could get them together with Daniel Radcliffe I think we'd have stew going.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Cugel the Clever posted:

Jeff's cringey Last Resort stress relief was also great. Props to the actor and writers because they manage to make the character an endearing dope. Expecting him to tragically get the knife before the show's over, likely betrayed by Shauna or Callie.

I hope Jeff gets Donnie from Orphan Black's clueless dope to legit badass arc

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
I don't mind the needle drops. But then again, I graduated hs in 1996. But then again, after really not liking the early half of s2, I am fully on board on "dumb but fun." Give me a montage of coach walking down into his cave to the sound of "long way down," a springtime scene where they are caught in the rain to garbage's "only happy when it rains" and go from there. If the show isn't going to be smart, then it can't be boring too.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Well that was dumb but pretty fun at least, and stuff actually happened!

Did Walt shoot the cop with the stache-cop's gun or his own/random gun?

Tender Bender posted:

Barry, particularly seasons 3 and 4. It's a different type of horror but I've absolutely described stretches of it as a horror film. Not comparing the shows 1:1 but this reference point brought it to mind.
Barry is more like a very dark comedy than horror. Also much better in every way.

Khanstant posted:

Christian Ricci + Elijah Woods in a fantastic combo. If we could get them together with Daniel Radcliffe I think we'd have stew going.
S3 should be just two of them solving/doing murders

Khanstant posted:

They're a great cover band, as in a great band for other people to cover. I'm pretty sure I even heard a death magnetic cover that almost made it worth listening to.
:mods:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

S3 should be just two of them solving/doing murders

Ahah this would be an awesome whodunnit kinda show. Killer Columbos. Just so long as it avoids being Dexter