Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Charliegrs posted:

If and when the debt ceiling bill gets passed and we avoid a default is there anything stopping Biden from then immediately invoking the 14th amendment to end this nonsense once and for all? The argument against using it right now is that it would end up in the supreme court and then we would default while they debate it and possibly strike it down. But if this were to happen after a debt ceiling bill is passed, then the supreme court could debate it without the danger of a default. I mean unless they debated it for a few years.

No, because the Republicans will pinky-swear to not do this again and the Dems will say that's good enough for them before taking a nice long sip of water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I’m confused, are Dems hapless dupes getting Lucy Footballed by the devious Republicans, or complicit agents taking advantage of the debt ceiling to secretly enact their conservative fiscal agenda? :umberto:

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Mellow Seas posted:

I’m confused, are Dems hapless dupes getting Lucy Footballed by the devious Republicans, or complicit agents taking advantage of the debt ceiling to secretly enact their conservative fiscal agenda? :umberto:

Their behavior is consistent with either theory and since generally it's impossible to know the intentions of another person in their heart of hearts, different people have diffrent theories into why they behave as they do.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Ershalim posted:

Are there any that are realistically feasible given our current reality? I'm not trying to be glib, I just don't think anything that exists would fly today.

And I am aware that the congress is in theory the controller of the purse, congress is also useless aside from increasing their own pay. If we have an executive who isn't interested in making hard pushes foward, and we have a supreme court who is very interested in hard pushes backwards, who left to aim our ire at? Congress hasn't been effective since 2009, and even in that instance it was for like, a bright shining moment of "not good enough." So pointing invective at the people who are actually doing things seems perfectly normal to me.

I suppose it might just be my perspective that stagnation is inehrently regressive since time only goes forward. You can't just be like "oh we already did civil rights and gay marriage and 40 hour work weeks" because as technology and resource allocation (theoretically) improves, those all eventually become not good enough. The whole debt ceiling is effectively a means to ensure that good things don't happen, and since the president doesn't want to get rid of it, congress can't manage to do anything, and the supremes are functionally the ones who will decide if anything ever actually does break, what is there to do besides point out that they probably shouldn't exist?

We know that they will one day be a problem, so talking about it before it happens is just preparedness, no?

The things the Supreme Court is doing that we're mad about mostly fall into three categories:
  • overturning the actions of executive agencies by saying that they're interpreting the laws too broadly
  • saying that the executive branch is going well beyond the authority granted to them in law
  • overturning court precedents established by previous liberal courts that created their own doctrines and rights to address what they thought Congress wasn't handling

All three of those things could easily be addressed by Congress, if it were functional enough to be more assertive. The first two items could be directly overturned by Congress passing updated laws that address whatever the Court thought was unclear, and the third could be dealt with by Congress passing laws to affirm those rights and doctrines. And if the Court jerks Congress around too much, then Congress does have the option to do things like court-packing.

Charliegrs posted:

If and when the debt ceiling bill gets passed and we avoid a default is there anything stopping Biden from then immediately invoking the 14th amendment to end this nonsense once and for all? The argument against using it right now is that it would end up in the supreme court and then we would default while they debate it and possibly strike it down. But if this were to happen after a debt ceiling bill is passed, then the supreme court could debate it without the danger of a default. I mean unless they debated it for a few years.

The 14th Amendment isn't a magic spell that Biden can just chant whenever. The only way to "invoke" it is to cite it as justification for paying debt that isn't authorized by Congress. Or, in plain English, the only way to "invoke" it is to exceed the debt ceiling. There's nothing to bring to the Supreme Court until then.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Their behavior is consistent with either theory and since generally it's impossible to know the intentions of another person in their heart of hearts, different people have diffrent theories into why they behave as they do.

They can be compliant AND stupid.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

cat botherer posted:

A lot of these rumors have proven true lately.

Yes, because 'hearing some rumors' is Capitol Hil reporting lingo for 'someone told me off the record and I am protecting my source for access'.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Main Paineframe posted:

The 14th Amendment isn't a magic spell that Biden can just chant whenever. The only way to "invoke" it is to cite it as justification for paying debt that isn't authorized by Congress. Or, in plain English, the only way to "invoke" it is to exceed the debt ceiling. There's nothing to bring to the Supreme Court until then.

This is why I am pro coin, the coin can just be minted ahead of time and someone is then welcome to try to sue over it.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Main Paineframe posted:

The first two items could be directly overturned by Congress passing updated laws that address whatever the Court thought was unclear, and the third could be dealt with by Congress passing laws to affirm those rights and doctrines.

That implies that you think the Supreme Court is acting in good faith and just making rulings based on "unclear law," and not inventing ridiculous excuses that serve their radical political agenda, and that the Supreme Court would not just take that updated law and pass it through their "major questions" doctrine to find brand new excuses. That's plainly bullshit.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

The SupCt has also gone out of its way to overturn clearly understood and Congressionally passed laws esp in regards to voting, bribery and thw environment.

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

Main Paineframe posted:

All three of those things could easily be addressed by Congress, if it were functional enough to be more assertive. The first two items could be directly overturned by Congress passing updated laws that address whatever the Court thought was unclear, and the third could be dealt with by Congress passing laws to affirm those rights and doctrines. And if the Court jerks Congress around too much, then Congress does have the option to do things like court-packing.

Respectfully, the bolded part is why I asked if any of the checks on the supreme court were feasible. Congress isn't functional or assertive. The ways to make it functional and assertive are to either elect enough people who are actually interested in changing the way the system works to have 60 people willing to sign on (in practice the number here is probably higher because people like Manchin and Sinema exist). Or, to
elect enough people to overturn the filibuster such that 50+tie breaker is enough. And frankly that seems like it's probably the same number, if not higher.

The senate is structured in such a way that team blue ever obtaining that kind of majority is basically unattainable, and there aren't enough states who support the radical changes necessary to alleviate some of our problems to ensure that even if they did, it's extremely likely that a lot of them would be very conservative and reject the notion outright. Again, see Manchin and Sinema.

I may be overstating my opinion here, but in the near future barring illegal things, there isn't really a way for the system to self-correct the supreme court's untouchability and flagrant ideological biases.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Ershalim posted:

Respectfully, the bolded part is why I asked if any of the checks on the supreme court were feasible.

There is one theory that Congress can limit what the Supreme Court can hear (outside of original jurisdiction) so in theory you can pass a law and cut the court out. But there is something to be said that can abused pretty easily.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Widespread respect for the Supreme Court as an institution is its only real protection from partisan kneecapping by whoever controls Congress or from ''good luck enforcing that' by the Executive. Which is why their current course is so fuckin stupid.

unless you want to destroy civic trust in government and don't give a poo poo so win/win for republicans i guess.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

The SupCt will continue to do whatever the gently caress it wants because it's enforcing Republican doctrine and the Dems don't particularly give a poo poo about it?

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Shageletic posted:

Why wasn't the debt ceiling passed when the Dems had the House last year?

Because they wanted to negotiate cuts.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
https://twitter.com/jstein_wapo/status/1662952577548386304?s=46&t=o307xxBiew2hWqLPw2eCl

Extra work requirements is what Biden wanted lmao

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Honestly, this deal is such a major victory for Biden that I don't see how the GOP freaks in Congress don't try to scuttle it.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

Honestly, this deal is such a major victory for Biden that I don't see how the GOP freaks in Congress don't try to scuttle it.
In that Biden wanted to display fiscal conservatism and bipartisanship by starving a bunch of poor people, yes. Major victory. Dark Bardon ftw.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

That is unquestionably a huge victory in Biden's eyes yeah

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I mean, the economy is potentially not going to implode and McCarthy only got a slim fraction of what he was demanding, so in this case it's a "win" for Biden. It still hasn't passed yet and it's still up to the crazies to not scuttle the deal and vote McCarthy out.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Gentle reminder that McCarty wanted a 20% cut across most government programs. All he got was a five year increase to the work requirement age bracket of SNAP for some groups (that might very well be canceled out by the fact that the definition of "homeless" has been drastically expanded to include anyone with unstable living conditions), and cuts to IRS funding (that won't affect anything in the short term).

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Gentle reminder that McCarty wanted a 20% cut across most government programs. All he got was a five year increase to the work requirement age bracket of SNAP (that might very well be canceled out by the fact that the definition of "homeless" has been drastically expanded to include anyone with unstable living conditions), and cuts to IRS funding (that won't affect anything in the short term).

From all the news I'm seeing, he's also getting student loans unpaused, which I have to imagine is a huge deal.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

KillHour posted:

From all the news I'm seeing, he's also getting student loans unpaused, which I have to imagine is a huge deal.

They just codified the already announced plan. They were going to voluntarily end the pause on September 1st, but now they are codifying that the pause ends on September 1st.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

They just codified the already announced plan. They were going to voluntarily end the pause on September 1st, but now they are codifying that the pause ends on September 1st.

So the Dems were already planning on doing the stupid thing with no arm-twisting required. Got it.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

KillHour posted:

So the Dems were already planning on doing the stupid thing with no arm-twisting required. Got it.

I mean, we live in a country with two far right parties, is it really a surprise?

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

I did not believe the administration would end the pause on any date, and would continue to kick the can down the road.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's a win for Biden... you can even make an argument with an almost-straight face that he actually didn't negotiate over the debt ceiling.

This clears up the next two opportunities the 118th House would've had to threaten government shutdowns over budgets (one in the middle of the campaign), and gives them no more opportunities to use the debt ceiling. So what did Biden give up for that? He has said all along that he was willing to negotiate about the budget. In making this debt ceiling deal, he also made a budget deal that stands on its own accord - if Republicans had been threatening a shutdown in September and Biden managed to get out of it with this level of damage, I think I would've been disappointed but understood.

It's really hosed up that the bill screws over a modest amount of, essentially, random poor people, who fall into an extremely arbitrary category, for no real reason. But from a budget impact standpoint, it's a really good result for '24-'25 with a Republican-controlled house. It's hard to get through a session with a Republican speaker without cutting some domestic spending. (Well, unless a Republican is president, of course.)

KillHour posted:

I agree with others that this is something Biden is totally fine with. He wants the forgiveness to go through because it's good for him politically, but he thinks people should pay their loans back otherwise. It's likely that there will be a long grace period and generous income-based repayment repayment options, at least.

It's gross to think in political terms when you're talking about people's ability to support themselves, but in a certain sense, the fact that payments will have resumed will increase the political salience of the SCOTUS (almost certainly) striking down the forgiveness next year. Right now my federal debt feels pretty... theoretical. I haven't paid it in three years. If I continued to never pay it, that would be nice, but I wouldn't feel an immediate impact from it going away. But I think it would be a much bigger deal to people, psychologically, if they had a major monthly expense that could've gone away, but didn't, because Republicans.

Gerund posted:

I did not believe the administration would end the pause on any date, and would continue to kick the can down the road.
:same: and I'm disappointed but not surprised they gave it up in this context.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

KillHour posted:

This was known months ago during the last pause extension announcement, it’s not exactly a new surprise? I guess it’s something you might not have to pay attention to if you’re lucky enough to not have student loans to pay though.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Kalit posted:

This was known months ago during the last pause extension announcement, it’s not exactly a new surprise? I guess it’s something you might not have to pay attention to if you’re lucky enough to not have student loans to pay though.
Well, it's a bit of a surprise that it's actually happening, they've announced dates where the pause would end a half dozen times before. This is the first time they haven't had the option to back out.

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

Kalit posted:

It's a terrible move. For one thing, most people aren't clued into the ongoings of politics, so for a lot of people they're going to get the news "hey, those student loans you've been free from are going to be a monthly mandatory non-discharegable debt again starting like, right now." That, followed swiftly by a potential ruling by the supreme court that "actually it was never paused and you now owe this back pay plus 3 years of interest on your debt."

It would be great if that second part doesn't happen, but considering the one shared ideal by all parties in power is that we must needs feed capital at all costs, I'm very hesistant to assume this little push for backpay fails. But ultimately putting student loans on pause and then unpausing them is something that every single person who benefited from it is going to hate -- and they'll all correctly blame the president for doing it.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Gentle reminder that McCarty wanted a 20% cut across most government programs. All he got was a five year increase to the work requirement age bracket of SNAP for some groups (that might very well be canceled out by the fact that the definition of "homeless" has been drastically expanded to include anyone with unstable living conditions), and cuts to IRS funding (that won't affect anything in the short term).

50-55 year olds who are not homeless or disabled already but also are not working is a very very narrow field that is also getting into the prioritize help towards from social safety net organizations area of age. Generally they live with their parents because they are often adult children (i've worked with a few) who are often trying to get on (and qualify for) disability, but getting on disability in the first place is hard.

Mellow Seas posted:

Well, it's a bit of a surprise that it's actually happening, they've announced dates where the pause would end a half dozen times before. This is the first time they haven't had the option to back out.

I'm hoping the supreme court doesn't rule against the executive order (they probably will, and I honestly don't have a lot of loans left, but still it would be great to have the little bit I have left over wiped off the plate)

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Kalit posted:

If anything this should be used as a reminder for folks where the alleged rapist president stands as well as his party/supporters. This agreement basically benefits the wealthy and the military industrial complex while performing a shotgun blast to the underprivileged and the middle class.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I’m really not optimistic about the student loan forgiveness case

You would think that SCOTUS could give people one thing while they make Affirmative Action unconstitutional and whatever awful stuff is coming this month

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
I think the lesson we've learned here is that it's perfectly acceptable to bring the economy to the brink of ruin in the hopes of obtaining incredibly miniscule concessions. Lol if anyone takes the US economy seriously ever again knowing that it can collapse at any time cause some old ghouls are holding out for a small evil edit to SNAP. Looking forward to them edging closer and closer to the collapse every time the debt ceiling comes up going forward in exchange for a pipeline or kickbacks to their state.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Ershalim posted:

It's a terrible move. For one thing, most people aren't clued into the ongoings of politics, so for a lot of people they're going to get the news "hey, those student loans you've been free from are going to be a monthly mandatory non-discharegable debt again starting like, right now." That, followed swiftly by a potential ruling by the supreme court that "actually it was never paused and you now owe this back pay plus 3 years of interest on your debt."

It would be great if that second part doesn't happen, but considering the one shared ideal by all parties in power is that we must needs feed capital at all costs, I'm very hesistant to assume this little push for backpay fails. But ultimately putting student loans on pause and then unpausing them is something that every single person who benefited from it is going to hate -- and they'll all correctly blame the president for doing it.

It might be the final straw that actually causes a decent recession, which of course the Democrats will (rightfully) be blamed for.

Edit:

Zeron posted:

I think the lesson we've learned here is that it's perfectly acceptable to bring the economy to the brink of ruin in the hopes of obtaining incredibly miniscule concessions. Lol if anyone takes the US economy seriously ever again knowing that it can collapse at any time cause some old ghouls are holding out for a small evil edit to SNAP. Looking forward to them edging closer and closer to the collapse every time the debt ceiling comes up going forward in exchange for a pipeline or kickbacks to their state.

This is why the push to actually switch to an alternate reserve currency is gaining significant steam; I honestly wouldn't be surprised if there's a new primary reserve currency within the next 10-15 years.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Automata 10 Pack posted:

In that Biden wanted to display fiscal conservatism and bipartisanship by starving a bunch of poor people, yes. Major victory. Dark Bardon ftw.

It's bad and dumb, but they aren't starving millions of people.

~54% of people in that age range who are on SNAP already meet the work requirements. Another ~24-27% meet the childcare exemption requirement.

Some unknown amount meet the veteran/training/volunteering/education/disability/homeless exemption requirement.

Just taking the two numbers that we know for sure, that means a maximum of about 0.14% of SNAP recipients would be impacted by it - even less depending on how many people meet the veteran/training/volunteering/education exemption requirement. It will most likely be between 0.05% to 0.1% when all is said and done.

It sucks that some people are going to have to waste time attending a training class every month or get a part-time job. It is a dumb policy that just makes life more annoying for a small amount of people people for a very minor budgetary impact. It also eventually expires and people under 50 have already been subject to these same requirements for over 30 years. It's bad policy, but you need to know what specifically the policy changes are in order to assess what is happening.

https://theconversation.com/gops-pr...ady-work-205960

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Zeron posted:

If the Dems and their supporters did believe any of the rhetoric they spew during donation time, they would vote against this bill until their demands are met. It isn’t like the house couldn’t pass this bill without them if Rs voted in lock step so why vote to actively harm the less fortunate?

~54% of people in that age range who are on SNAP already meet the work requirements. Another ~24-27% meet the childcare exemption requirement.

Dems can starve some people as a treat, etc etc

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

While you are correct, I would maintain that starving any additional people to death is, in fact, bad. We don't need to do that. We have more than enough resources and money and food and the knowledge of where basically all those who are food insecure live. Letting more people slip through the cracks is an unequivocable failing of the government.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah, the best and worst thing about the SNAP cuts is that they affect a vanishingly small number of people. The overall impact will be small but it's so petty.

It's unlikely anybody will literally starve to death as a result of these cuts. But it will cause some people financial stress, increase strain on local support networks (family, food banks, etc) and generally cause people massive inconvenience. All for pretty much no reason.

Zeron posted:

Lol if anyone takes the US economy seriously ever again knowing that it can collapse at any time cause some old ghouls are holding out for a small evil edit to SNAP.
I dunno, it seems like we have a pretty good track record of Democrats eventually giving in enough to avoid a default. :v:

Another sense in which Biden "won" the deal is that there is definitely going to be more outrage on the right than on the left about it. Try to imagine it from their POV. McCarthy promised them a feast and got them a bag of M&M's.

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 18:07 on May 29, 2023

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

this is exactly what joe biden wanted all along, which is why these cuts are happening during a cutthroat negotiation with a Republican-controlled house instead of at like, literally any other point. I bet he and the freedom caucus got together at epstein island and raised a glass of wine while toasting evil.

c'mon posters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Mellow Seas posted:

Yeah, the best and worst thing about the SNAP cuts is that they affect a vanishingly small number of people. The overall impact will be small but it's so petty.

I dunno, it seems like we have a pretty good track record of Democrats eventually giving in enough to avoid a default. :v:

Another sense in which Biden "won" the deal is that there is definitely going to be more outrage on the right than on the left about it. Try to imagine it from their POV. McCarthy promised them a feast and got them a bag of M&M's.

That's the dumbest part though, that they waited until literally a week before the default to do it. It's not like there hasn't already been harm from waiting this long, all kinds of emergency measures have been activated and funds dried up. If they were going to make such a bog standard deal, it only looks even crazier that they waited to do so until they were literally staring collapse in the eyes.