Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
Shodai
SHODAI
View Results

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

it's great that after a period where the upper card felt incredibly weak there's some up and coming stars who have solidified themselves as excellent san'yaku, we should have a new ozeki, and great prospects in lower makuuchi and the second and third divsions.

i forget his name but taichi-ai was gushing about a "super-propsect" in makushita who lost his first match and then rattled of 5.

plus ofc asanoyama's sucessful return. rooting for him to get back personally i always liked the guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Thauros posted:

i forget his name but taichi-ai was gushing about a "super-propsect" in makushita who lost his first match and then rattled of 5.

Onosato. He's the new recruit to Kisenosato's stable and being touted as a future rival to Ochiai/Hakuoho

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

His shikona is relatively new, you probably heard him referred to by his actual name before this, Daiki Nakamura. He’s won two amateur Yokozuna titles so he got to start at makushita 10, where he went 6-1.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Ha Ku Oh Ho

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Fearless posted:

Onosato. He's the new recruit to Kisenosato's stable and being touted as a future rival to Ochiai/Hakuoho

oh yeah one step less blatant than "hakuoho" but makes a ton of sense lol

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

https://twitter.com/OneLoveLulit/status/1662914896500236288
The baddest man in Japan, reduced to "silly dad face" by his kid. I love it so much. :unsmith:

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Lid posted:

Ha Ku Oh Ho

Maybe Hak really likes the Star Wars EU.

Luke

Luuke

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
not any great surprise, but kiribiyama's promotion to ozeki confirmed, will be certified by the rijikai on the 31st

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/html/20230528/k10014081001000.html

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

We're probably going to see a bunch more *nosato and *ho dudes to join/replace the Chiyo* and Koto* guys as Kise and Hak get their teams set up.

Although for Hak, it might get a little confusing since there's Oho who's not in his stable but is literally grandfathered into the name.

Maybe some Go* guys too from Goeido with Gonoyama leading the way.

Apparently Kotoshogiku is branching off soon so we might see a bunch of little *Giku guys too.

Stable name power rankings:

1: Chiyo*: 1000 year (like ancient and wise or eternal). Can add that to just about any name and it will work. Like stable founder Chiyonofuji - Enternity of My Fuji or Chiyotairyu - Eternal Large Dragon. Been around since 67 with 3 Yokozuna and an Ozeki in charge so massive legacy points.

2: *ho: Peng, a Phoenix like mythical creature. Can't go wrong with that and lends itself to cool names like Hakuho - White Peng or Enho - Fiery Peng. Loses points for taking the name from Taiho without the direct master-apprentice relationship. Oho should be pissed if he eventually gets to run his own stable and can't pass along his grandfather's name because someone else sniped it.

2: Go*: Power/Splendour. Pretty cool. From Goeido's real name of Gotaro so bonus points for keeping both his real and sumo name alive. Can also make cool names like Gonoyama being something like Power of Mountains.

3: *nosato: Of the hometown/Village or Town of. Not very cool, but you can make it work. Kisenosato is Town of Rare Strength. Don't know how it would sound in Japanese, but Ryunosato would be pretty badass. Unlike Hakuho, gets bonus points for legacy as the name comes from Kise's stablemaster the Yokozuna Takanosato who died just before Kise made Ozeki.

4: Koto*: A harp like musical instrument. Other than huge legacy points, it's a pretty tough name to make cool. Maybe it sounds more poetic in Japanese. Also bonus points for being the former home of Kototenzan, the former WWE wrestler Earthquake.

5: *giku: like Koto, it probably sounds better in Japanese. I can see how this might work better poetically than Koto, but has no legacy to draw on if he even goes with the name.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Very informative, thanks!

What's nishiki* ? It has taken me forever to identify/name nishikigi and nishikifuji at a glance.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
I don't know about the names but Nishikigi has been in Sumo literally over a decade longer than Nishikifuji, in the salaried ranks since 2015 over a year before Nishikifuji even had his first tournament, and is about 30kg heavier. Nishikigi is also almost always using a dark green mawashi (which can get him confused with Sadanoumi), hopefully this helps.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
at the other end of the scale, you have people like my guy Kimurayama Mamoru, who was the closest thing to a hometown rikishi for the place i used to live. six solid years in the salaried ranks, and his shikona never changed from 'real name + -yama/mountain stuck on the end'

http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Rikishi.aspx?r=6010

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Beeswax posted:

What's nishiki* ? It has taken me forever to identify/name nishikigi and nishikifuji at a glance.

https://tachiai.org/2015/10/04/%E9%8C%A6-nishiki-brocade/

TLDR: As a noun it means brocade, but it's used allegorically to describe things that are beautiful, especially in nature. (It also gets occasionally used to describe rewards/honors of success.)

Both of the active wrestlers with that in their name use it for heritage reasons:

* Nishikifuji is named after Aminishiki, who used to be his elder stable-mate in Isegahama.
* Nishikigi is named after an early-1800s Ozeki from Iwate who founded the original Nishonoseki stable (no direct relation to the current stable).

ullerrm fucked around with this message at 19:53 on May 29, 2023

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Brut posted:

I don't know about the names but Nishikigi has been in Sumo literally over a decade longer than Nishikifuji, in the salaried ranks since 2015 over a year before Nishikifuji even had his first tournament, and is about 30kg heavier. Nishikigi is also almost always using a dark green mawashi (which can get him confused with Sadanoumi), hopefully this helps.

Yeah I don't get them mixed up - they're very different. They're just fairly new (or returning) names in makuuchi and I'm slow to learn people's names/bodies/mannerisms.
No mistaking Sadanoumi's long face and pasty bod (not hating, I like the guy!)

Thank you for all the great replies!

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Beeswax posted:

Fuji/Gi aren't actually on the same team, but the Nishiki means beautiful or well dressed. Gi is tree.

So something like the Beauty of My. Fuji and Well dressed tree (it's also a specific species of tree https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euonymus_alatus but well dressed tree sounds funnier).

Nikishifuji is actually on Isegehama which is team Fuji from former Yokozuna Asahifuji, which kicks rear end for producing dudes like Yokos Teru and Harumafuji and others like Midorifuji, Takarafuji and now Atamifuji. But loses massive points for being boring and cliche.

Nishikigi's stable doesn't really have a naming convention.

Edit: Stuff about sumo names - Sumostew who is awesome and informative: https://youtu.be/PdUGHtQ-bQM and
https://youtu.be/t4bimwb6ejM

Second one specifically talks about Nishikigi the Well Dressed Tree.

pseudodragon fucked around with this message at 20:51 on May 29, 2023

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Thanks to the internal SA ads I watched a bit of the March basho and most of the May one. Special thanks to MidnightSumo on Twitch for making it very easy to watch. To be honest I expected to bounce off sumo, as I'm not a big sports guy and I thought it might be too weird or whatever, but I was wrong and it's really fun to watch.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

pseudodragon posted:

We're probably going to see a bunch more *nosato and *ho dudes to join/replace the Chiyo* and Koto* guys as Kise and Hak get their teams set up.

Although for Hak, it might get a little confusing since there's Oho who's not in his stable but is literally grandfathered into the name.

Maybe some Go* guys too from Goeido with Gonoyama leading the way.

Apparently Kotoshogiku is branching off soon so we might see a bunch of little *Giku guys too.

Stable name power rankings:

i was disappointed when i saw the kanji for goeido’s oyakata name takekuma and it wasn’t bamboo bear

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Medenmath posted:

Thanks to the internal SA ads I watched a bit of the March basho and most of the May one. Special thanks to MidnightSumo on Twitch for making it very easy to watch. To be honest I expected to bounce off sumo, as I'm not a big sports guy and I thought it might be too weird or whatever, but I was wrong and it's really fun to watch.

Hell yeah

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Grumpy Old Sumo Fan deliberation time:
https://twitter.com/SumoFollower/status/1663253001170046976
https://twitter.com/SumoFollower/status/1663253006232453155
(Ozeki Kiribayama confirmed)

As for Takakeisho, the YDC's response was middling:
https://twitter.com/SumoFollower/status/1663253011257229315
https://twitter.com/SumoFollower/status/1663253013815873536
https://twitter.com/SumoFollower/status/1663253016156176392

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Mebbe there is a cultural difference at play here, but saying that Takakeisho did nothing to shame his rank is damning by faint praise. He's carried Sumo as the ranking active rikishi for the better part of a year as an ozeki while trying to manage the strain of his own yokozuna run and injury on top of that. It was crystal clear during this basho that he was fighting injured and the last few days it was also clear that he was persisting through a great deal of pain. Takakeisho does not get the credit he deserves for what he has done for the sport.

E: and that comparison at the end... it's like he almost gets it! Of course there is a big difference in the results between Terunofuji, who was off for nine months, and Takakeisho who's barely had time to heal between bashos. None of this is to take away from Terunofuji's skill and strength in the slightest, but the situations here are like apples to oranges and the comparison isn't fair.

Fearless fucked around with this message at 23:31 on May 29, 2023

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
youtube recommending the greatest sumo match of all time was always going to get my click but holy loving poo poo this tachiai. dead serious i can count on one hand the number of active rikishi who might not go flying into the sixth row on impact, let alone make it competitive.

prime hakuho is honestly shocking. still. somehow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3u4vMuT7l1o

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Fearless posted:

Mebbe there is a cultural difference at play here, but saying that Takakeisho did nothing to shame his rank is damning by faint praise.
That was absolutely the intention.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

Marching Powder posted:

youtube recommending the greatest sumo match of all time was always going to get my click but holy loving poo poo this tachiai. dead serious i can count on one hand the number of active rikishi who might not go flying into the sixth row on impact, let alone make it competitive.

prime hakuho is honestly shocking. still. somehow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3u4vMuT7l1o

I always thought Harumafuji was cool as hell. Unfortunately he had to leave before his time

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

Once again having an Ozeki on the East and the West is indeed joyful

You know... I feel this too. Of course I like certain wrestlers and I like exciting bouts and Ura and surprises...

But I also just enjoy the system. The process.

An orderly banzuke. A Yokozuna who mostly wins. Promising youngsters and reliable old-timers and bows and envelopes and hair cutting.

The whole scheme is just satisfying; when it's tidy, it feels like there's order in the universe.

And the tournaments roll around just often enough that I'm always excited for the next one.

Super flawed sport, but also perfect.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
Speaking of haircutting ceremonies, seems like Kakuryu's is finally happening this week, assuming nothing changed since this tweet

https://twitter.com/sumokyokai/status/1616956434519920640

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Brut posted:

Speaking of haircutting ceremonies, seems like Kakuryu's is finally happening this week, assuming nothing changed since this tweet

I've been lurking on sumoforum and ticket sales haven't been super strong, which is a problem since the ceremony is pretty big part of a guy's retirement fund.

http://www.sumoforum.net/forums/topic/12380-latest-stock-exchange-news-kabu-oyakata-transfers-etc/?page=55

The thread gets into the grey area of Kabu name transfers and fun backroom politics, which I find almost as fascinating as the fights...

While straight selling the elder stock has been officially banned for years now, with stocks officially returning to the JSA who pick the new owner apparently people can "recommend" their successor to the JSA who then just rubber stamps it.

Which makes sense for situations like Kotonwaka's dad being able to hand Sadogatake over when he retires. But for everyone who doesn't have a familial heir, it's still the same system but instead of direct sales it's hidden as *consultancy fees" or other back channel dealinga. Which kind of makes sense because Kabu holders didn't go nuclear when the change was made since they would have had to pay for the Kabu with no way of making it back.

This gets back to Kak because the rumour is he's got his hands on a the Otowayama Kabu but with the poor sales, he needs to find a way to make the 120 million yen price. Also this was the reason Ichinojo quit. He was also trying to get the same Kabu but with Kak getting it, he was locked out and with his other issues it was unlikely that other future retiring elders would want to deal with him if there were other options.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

https://twitter.com/sumokyokai/status/1663710754951028736
https://twitter.com/sumokyokai/status/1663711896971931650
As part of the Ozeki promotion, Kiribayama seems to be getting renamed to Kirishima

https://twitter.com/sumokyokai/status/1663713873466392577
Juryo newbie promotions:
Kiho (former Kawazoe)
Shishi
Yuma

Juryo returnees promotions:
Shiden
Chiyonoumi

Bentai fucked around with this message at 03:05 on May 31, 2023

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

Bentai posted:

As part of the Ozeki promotion, Kiribayama seems to be getting renamed to Kirishima

Aww wtf? Kiribayama sounds cooler :(

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Bentai posted:

Grumpy Old Sumo Fan deliberation time:

Are the YDC feeling okay? That was a pretty positive report. Has someone been feeding them edibles?

Marching Powder posted:

Back when Kotoshogiku was hot poo poo after winning his yusho, some sports scientist types wired him up to measure the forces involved with his tachiai. I'll have to have a dig to find the article, but needless to say, they were pretty insane. I'm surprised more rikishi aren't exploding into bloody mist.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Elissimpark posted:

Back when Kotoshogiku was hot poo poo after winning his yusho, some sports scientist types wired him up to measure the forces involved with his tachiai. I'll have to have a dig to find the article, but needless to say, they were pretty insane. I'm surprised more rikishi aren't exploding into bloody mist.

please do i love that sports science poo poo like francis ngannou punching like a ford fiesta hitting you

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Brut posted:

Aww wtf? Kiribayama sounds cooler :(

It's his stablemaster's old name so carrying on the legacy > cool name (though maybe Kirishima sounds cooler in Japanese).

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

https://tachiai.org/2023/05/31/new-juryo-for-nagoya-3/

quote:

Where are the 5 slots coming from? J5e Tochinoshin has retired, creating one opening in the second division. A second is opened by Ichinojo’s retirement, which created an extra opening in the top division, with a cascading effect on Juryo. One obvious demotion is that of winless veteran J9w Chiyonokuni (0-10-5), who may be next on the intai watch. The two we were less certain about are Juryo debutant J14e Tokihayate (6-9), although it was hard to imagine him staying with that rank and record, and injured fan favorite J3w Enho (0-10-5). We can infer from the five promotions that both will fall to Makushita. We’ll see if Enho has a comeback in him, or if he follows the trajectory of his similarly size-challenged Miyagino heya-mate, Ishiura.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

pseudodragon posted:

It's his stablemaster's old name so carrying on the legacy > cool name (though maybe Kirishima sounds cooler in Japanese).

Ohh okay that makes sense, I keep just thinking of Kiribayama as "in Kakuryu's stable" when actually he is in the stable where Kakuryu is an assistant coach but the stable is still run by a former Ozeki. (Actually I think I just didn't even know about the former Ozeki part)

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Brut posted:

Ohh okay that makes sense, I keep just thinking of Kiribayama as "in Kakuryu's stable" when actually he is in the stable where Kakuryu is an assistant coach but the stable is still run by a former Ozeki. (Actually I think I just didn't even know about the former Ozeki part)

Yeah, and it's not even Kaks real stable though since he only got moved there when his stablemaster died and he needed some place to go.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

it was pretty satisfying to describe the era of 'hak and kak', especially when they both fought like twice a year so you could just say 'no hak and kak this basho'

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too

Marching Powder posted:

please do i love that sports science poo poo like francis ngannou punching like a ford fiesta hitting you

The whole video is pretty amusing but here is a weird tv special that involves sending a kickboxer to Miyagino while Hakuho was in his prime to do some sports science. The science starts around the 20:40 mark, but the whole video is endearing in a History Channel sorta way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPAouB77oNk&t=1239s

edit: the data on the defensive part is more interesting to me - the "soft" upper body sumo. I feel like Kotonowaka and Hokutofuji are the two best guys for that these days.

Lucasar fucked around with this message at 06:38 on May 31, 2023

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Kirishima does feel good to say, very smooth sounds, don't have the slight halt for the 'bi' in the middle. I like it.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

I liked his old name better but him carrying on a legacy does sound kind of cool.

I nickname half of the rikshi already so I don't think what I'll call him will change much more.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Shiroc posted:

Kirishima does feel good to say, very smooth sounds, don't have the slight halt for the 'bi' in the middle. I like it.

Sleek lines, built for speed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

i know it’s not unprecedented but when was the last time a rikishi who was this established and successful changed the major part of his shikona? i’ve watched for five years now and have never seen it before