Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Khanstant posted:

My actual d20s are weighted so pick your poison

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwDMo9s2npg&t=43s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
only way to make a spindown a fair roll is to swallow it and fire it out your rear end.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Btw Jeskai did quite well, but Big Rakdos won the event.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

GonSmithe posted:

So even though we've known about it for a while, the chuds have found out Aragorn is black in the LOTR set and are swarming. It's getting attention from a bunch of outside-MTG weirdos too, thanks to Musk's lovely Twitter drawing all their poo poo comments to the top.

https://twitter.com/wizards_magic/status/1662881429074657280

https://twitter.com/BasicMountain/status/1662999488561315842

extremely common psully W

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Dizz posted:

only way to make a spindown a fair roll is to swallow it and fire it out your rear end.

Built in rolling tray for dice is your colon, smdh that everybody forgets

Solis
Feb 2, 2011

Now you can take this knowledge and turn it into part of yourself.

CubeTheory posted:

This happened to me at a PTQ once:

An opponent plays a fetch on turn one and passes.
I play my land and pass back, he cracks his fetch and gets a mountain, a land it couldn't get.
He immediately untaps and plays a second land that doesn't produce red, and casts a red spell.
As he's doing this I say "Wait, you couldn't get that mountain with that fetch."
We call the judge and are both issued infractions for failing to maintain the game state.

Later in that same tournament, and this is the most angle shooter poo poo I've ever seen, an opponent cut my deck and shuffled it but flipped the orientation of the cards on one half. After I started drawing my cards I noted that half of them were upside down. The opponent then called the judge and claimed I had marked my cards. They took my deck and determined that it was sufficiently randomized, but still issued me a minor infraction, then issued me a game loss because it was my second one of the day.

I hope the competitive scene has become a better place than this.

So under the current rules your opponent would have gotten a game rule violation - Game play error in the first situation and you would maybe have gotten a warning for failure to maintain game state which can never upgrade to a game loss. For the second one at worst you would have gotten a deck problem infraction for marked cards, again a warning unless only the lands were boxed or something with an obvious pattern. Your opponent could instead have gotten an unsportsmanlike conduct warning if you could prove they boxed your cards. Two different violations would not upgrade (you upgrade on the third same violation now and different warnings count differently. Two hidden card errors and a looking at extra cards would not upgrade because they're different things even though they're all game rule violations. Failure to maintain game state is essentially toothless because it never can upgrade, it's just a finger wag to encourage you to pay better attention.)

Solis fucked around with this message at 14:50 on May 29, 2023

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Dizz posted:

But that's how you should roll any dice??? :confused:

Doctor Skeleton
Nov 15, 2003

well now I can walk up to a craps table with a lot more confidence

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Fable, invoke, and Bankbuster banned in standard, no changes to any other format. https://magic.wizards.com/en/news/announcements/may-29-2023-banned-and-restricted-announcement

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

neaden posted:

Fable, invoke, and Bankbuster banned in standard, no changes to any other format. https://magic.wizards.com/en/news/announcements/may-29-2023-banned-and-restricted-announcement

Sheoldred not being banned is both absurd and hilariously. Its also totally predictable as WOTC is a poo poo company. Invoke is the "if we can't ban Sheoldred because money, what other bone can we throw?".

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
No surprise, WotC loving sucks, has no cajones, announces another intellectual baby ban. 3 cards! Are you loving kidding me. That list should be dozens of cards long, gently caress this 3 card nonsense

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Cool, cool, good to know that the new 3-year standard format is DOA.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
The first yearly ban list update is August 7th. That's not that far away and likely why they only targeted the extremely obvious problems on this one.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

LifeLynx posted:

The first yearly ban list update is August 7th. That's not that far away and likely why they only targeted the extremely obvious problems on this one.

and cards that would have naturally rotated

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

LifeLynx posted:

The yearly ban this year is focused on older formats and unlikely to have further standard bans unless something is extremely egregious.

Sheoldred got significantly weakened by these at least

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Finally, it's time for definitely good card Weatherlight Compleated to shine!

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I don't understand how, looking at the problems with standard, their conclusion that a good way to address it was a yearly ban cadence. Do people really avoid participating because they fear their centerpiece will be banned? Or do they find the format unengaging and solved with clear winners, hence keeping it static for even longer periods exacerbating the problem? My money is on the latter but what do I know.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I’m gonna hold off on seeing where the meta goes before jumping to conclusions. There’s a chance this will be more than enough.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
you wanna wager on that bet?

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
I don't know what'll happen to the meta but I do know that my jank decks are gutted. It's like they didn't even consider what this would do to Boros Control

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
not having to spend two cards of spot removal per fable is going to free up that removal to hit sheoldred

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Kull the Conqueror posted:

I don't know what'll happen to the meta but I do know that my jank decks are gutted. It's like they didn't even consider what this would do to Boros Control

Condolences to your imaginary deck

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

I climbed to Mythic with Monowhite and replacing all of my Bankbusters with Spirited Companions will probably make the deck still work

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Sheoldred now being weak to leyline binding and ossification is huge. Anyone who doesn’t think the rakdos deck got gutted here is wild.

I do kinda wonder about some breach deck taking over but we’ll see

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

TheKingofSprings posted:

Condolences to your imaginary deck

I could see it before, Abrade and Lay Down Arms are some good pieces.

Of course, without Fable and Bankbuster it's never going to work now.

fadam posted:

I’m gonna hold off on seeing where the meta goes before jumping to conclusions. There’s a chance this will be more than enough.

Aggro decks are a hell of a lot better placed, most of them lost nothing. At least things can go faster now!

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

I don't understand how, looking at the problems with standard, their conclusion that a good way to address it was a yearly ban cadence. Do people really avoid participating because they fear their centerpiece will be banned? Or do they find the format unengaging and solved with clear winners, hence keeping it static for even longer periods exacerbating the problem? My money is on the latter but what do I know.

Anecdotally, yes, newer and less enfranchised players are actually very reticent to buy into a rotating format and are generally opposed to their favorite cards potentially getting banned under a more active ban philosophy. I virtually never hear new or intermediate players complaining about stagnation or solved formats, but I hear people express reluctance to buy into good decks for fear of bans or too-soon rotations with regularity.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Finding a format stale really is just a sign that you’ve been playing too long and should go do something else

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I was expecting them to take a less conservative approach. I guess they didn’t want to spook card owners, but I really was hoping for more of a format refresh.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Rinkles posted:

I was expecting them to take a less conservative approach. I guess they didn’t want to spook card owners, but I really was hoping for more of a format refresh.

unfortunately you will never be worth as much to wotc as the card investors

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Lol if you think WOTC cares about the secondary market. They ain’t Nike

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Strong Sauce posted:

Decent but low effort joke post bro, 5/10 you can do better

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Strong Sauce posted:

we know they do, how did you get your blue star

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
They have to be real subtle about caring, but the fact a pack can contain a card valued at several times the cost of the pack, without having to officially acknowledge this, is very much a boon they enjoy having.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I think if the whole point of the rotation change is to stop feelbads from having cards rotate out frequently, not banning a bunch of poo poo that doesn’t need to be banned makes sense. I wish they would ban more stuff, but it’s logically consistent.

I think the quality of Standard gameplay is pretty high right now even if certain cards show up way too frequently, so I’m optimistic these changes, while minor, will shake things up and Standard will trend upward. 5c ramp is a really cool deck that seems well positioned right now.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Aggro decks are a hell of a lot better placed, most of them lost nothing. At least things can go faster now!

Not with cut down still around

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Format freshness is just the opposite of the specific problem they were trying to solve when they talked about the upcoming efforts to revitalize standard.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Very glad there are people like Psully out there calling this poo poo what it is.

neaden posted:

Seems a bit light, but probably enough to dislodge Rakdos in standard at least and maybe open the door for other stuff to have a chance.

Won't hold my breath though.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Mat Cauthon posted:

Very glad there are people like Psully out there calling this poo poo what it is.

I've seen a lot of push-back to the anti-black push-back today, the community can be good!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Did a draft with some friends this weekend, brothers war, but we wound up playing 4 player.

The games were fun and were all friends so it worked out, but I kinda feel like draft is not well suited to that kind of multiplayer, wonder if next time we might try Two Headed Giant or something just to streamline things. Ironically social desire to not just completely dogpile and wipe out the person most vulnerable or behind turned into losses for us, I even got decked out in one game lol.

I also lost a game by going for a big play early just to bump someone out because he was making pasta and couldn't start till game was over lol. I got him out but was empty handed with no answers or blockers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

GonSmithe posted:

So even though we've known about it for a while, the chuds have found out Aragorn is black in the LOTR set and are swarming. It's getting attention from a bunch of outside-MTG weirdos too, thanks to Musk's lovely Twitter drawing all their poo poo comments to the top.

https://twitter.com/wizards_magic/status/1662881429074657280

I mean, he shoulda been Native American as God and Ralph Bakshi intended :v:

Only registered members can see post attachments!