Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Jack Trades posted:

Lmao, I just watched an Interview with Phil Spencer and he got a question about why Redfall was so bad and his answer was "well, it was already midway development when they became a part of Xbox and we were too late to help them reach the quality that's we are looking for at Xbox".

Christ. What a loving weasel.
xbox's whole thing is being hands off with devs so it's kind of pointless to ask Phil anyway

arkane's the one that lost some of their best creative minds and then decided they should make a game that's completely out of their comfort zone. it's like the suicide squad game... i don't care how good arkham asylum/city were, Rocksteady is not a developer built for making GAAS looter shooter poo poo and so of course suicide squad looks abysmal

e: i guess though with Rocksteady there actually is the chance that WB forced it on them. but Arkane chose the path they walked on and they chose to wear crocs for the hike

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 17:14 on May 29, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
One thing I just noticed was that Redfall was promoted as one of the first games to use Unreal Engine 5. I do hope that it's an unique lovely game and this is not the standard for UE5 games going forward.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Should have put their crocs into all terrain mode if they wanted to hike in em

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

ymgve posted:

One thing I just noticed was that Redfall was promoted as one of the first games to use Unreal Engine 5. I do hope that it's an unique lovely game and this is not the standard for UE5 games going forward.

When was this? It runs on UE4 and to my knowledge was always going to.

Microsoft gave them almost another year, but it seems pretty obvious that the game didn't really need a delay so much as a reboot (or just being cancelled). No sense is using any more dev time on it, really. Get them started on something new and better after they deliver whatever characters were promised and patch up the technical stuff as best they can.

Anno fucked around with this message at 17:37 on May 29, 2023

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Redfall is UE4 as gently caress with all the stuttering and loading issues

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Arkane is under Bethesda Studios which in turn is controlled by Zenimax - which is what Microsoft acquired.

I'm happy to lay the blame somewhere between Bethesda and Zenimax, its not like they haven't published some stinkers in the past. I doubt Microsoft man knew much if anything about Redfall.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Hard to imagine MS could've told them to do something dumb to the game by the time they actually acquired 'em and got the merge "fully integrated". Pretty sure it was just not a good game from its inception :(

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The first non-tech demo, non-joke games besides Fortnite made in UE5 have yet to really come out. I think Tekken 8 is confirmed to be using UE5, and Hellblade 2.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Fruits of the sea posted:

Arkane is under Bethesda Studios which in turn is controlled by Zenimax - which is what Microsoft acquired.

I'm happy to lay the blame somewhere between Bethesda and Zenimax, its not like they haven't published some stinkers in the past. I doubt Microsoft man knew much if anything about Redfall.
i could see zenimax being lovely to arkane, but I imagine Bethesda has been ride or die with them and would leave them alone, given that none of Arkane's games have sold well and Bethesda has stood by them every time

maybe that'll change after Redfall though

and if that does happen, listen Zenimax. if you're gonna force them to make a certain type of game, all i'm gonna say is: dark messiah of might and magic 2. thanks

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Zenimax definitely had the period where suddenly studios were making games that weren’t what they normally made, presumably so they would sell better. FO76, the co-op Wolfenstein thing, Redfall. I think now they’ll have the leeway and freedom to get back to what they really want to do. I think Deathloop was something they really wanted to do, so maybe not everyone will be happy, but I suspect it’ll be very positive overall.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Oh hey Severed Steel's real cheap right now

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I'm finally playing Teenage Exocolonist. I made it to age 14, and I'm pretty sure my colonists are all going to die. I've got food up to -80% and defenses up to 10% but I didn't find anything all last year to increase either and I'm running out of ideas to try.

I've almost maxed out my biology score so I successfully proved that the one food source we had is psychotropic for teenagers (basically it lowers inhibitions and increases mood swings). So, clever colonists that they are, the recalled all the food and won't let adults eat it either, since starving is better than kids talking back to their elders, I guess?

It's a fun, cute game, but a lot of the mechanics are obscured and I'm getting a little pessimistic. The game also leans a lot harder into needing to obey your elders than I'm comfortable with. And I say that as a grumpy old man who thinks kids could stand to listen more.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 20:20 on May 29, 2023

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Reviews of the System Shock Remake are looking promising. If you preorder you get a copy of the System Shock 2 Enhanced edition which is a nice bonus (it releases tomorrow so this would be the last day to preorder). I'm a huge fan of the original so I've been looking forward to this for a while.

Tiramisu
Dec 25, 2006

Hey, where did you go!? Do you really dislike seeing my face that much!?

LLSix posted:

I'm finally playing Teenage Exocolonist. I made it to age 14, and I'm pretty sure my colonists are all going to die. I've got food up to -80% and defenses up to 10% but I didn't find anything all last year to increase either and I'm running out of ideas to try.

I've almost maxed out my biology score so I successfully proved that the one food source we had is psychotropic for teenagers (basically it lowers inhibitions and increases mood swings). So, clever colonists that they are, the recalled all the food and won't let adults eat it either, since starving is better than kids talking back to their elders, I guess?

It's a fun, cute game, but a lot of the mechanics are obscured and I'm getting a little pessimistic. The game also leans a lot harder into needing to obey your elders than I'm comfortable with. And I say that as a grumpy old man who thinks kids could stand to listen more.

Having done a couple plays through myself I dunno about that last part. When it comes to the food situation flauting the rules can get you set up to solve a crisis before it even happens. Additionally I think solving a lot of problems involves defying orders. Though there are definitely situations where you’re a dumbass child who should have listened because you just made everything worse. Some deaths are literally impossible to avoid on the first playthrough and I think some are impossible to avoid on any run so it’s best to just roll with things doing the best you can. Things definitely can and do get pretty dire and the game does a good job of selling the failure spiral.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Reviews of the System Shock Remake are looking promising. If you preorder you get a copy of the System Shock 2 Enhanced edition which is a nice bonus (it releases tomorrow so this would be the last day to preorder). I'm a huge fan of the original so I've been looking forward to this for a while.
i saw it had a 73 on opencritic but the majority of negative reviews were like "yea the thing is, i don't love system shock 1 to begin with" so it seems like the score is a little skewed for that reason and if you are a shockhead you'll be just fine

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

The 7th Guest posted:

i saw it had a 73 on opencritic but the majority of negative reviews were like "yea the thing is, i don't love system shock 1 to begin with" so it seems like the score is a little skewed for that reason and if you are a shockhead you'll be just fine

:hmmyes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGQ4bs_1MRE

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i'm just glad it didn't turn out a total nightmare for nightdive, right when they just got acquired by atari, i feel like if it was a huge mess then it could've sank them, but instead they'll be fine. and atari bought a bunch of old game rights for them to port

i'll have a post for june games at some point, maybe tomorrow? IDK. long work day today. june's sort of the last month with a lot of clear release dates, because so many release dates at this point are being kept secret until Summer Game Fest week from July 7-13th.

the biggest indie release of June is probably Trepang2, the biggest AAA release is obv Street Fighter 6, the biggest retro release is Ghost Trick, and then there are some pretty notable releases from devs like Don't Nod and Failbetter

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 23:56 on May 29, 2023

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
lmao at this guy putting sexy shodan with boobs fanart in the thumbnail

Orv
May 4, 2011
L-l-l-l-look at you, w-wanker.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

panting and sweating amirite

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
A pathetic creature of meaty boners.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
you rang?

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Can someone check Street Fighter 6 prices for me? Specifically, this one by Green Man Gaming. My friend sent me the link, which lists is as RM219, almost 30 ringgit cheaper than the official Steam price in the Malaysia region (RM244). But on Fanatical, it looks it's RM235. As someone who's not dealt with Green Man Gaming, I'm not sure if the price is so much cheaper because it's a better regional deal, it's a shady site, or they just mucked up the price conversion and when I'm charged I'll probably get a Fanatical-ish price.

Like the difference between official Steam and Fanatical is not too big (RM10) so betweeen the two I'd probably just get the Steam version. But if the Green Man Gaming one seems legit, then that RM30 or so discount is quite significant

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Artelier posted:

Can someone check Street Fighter 6 prices for me? Specifically, this one by Green Man Gaming. My friend sent me the link, which lists is as RM219, almost 30 ringgit cheaper than the official Steam price in the Malaysia region (RM244). But on Fanatical, it looks it's RM235. As someone who's not dealt with Green Man Gaming, I'm not sure if the price is so much cheaper because it's a better regional deal, it's a shady site, or they just mucked up the price conversion and when I'm charged I'll probably get a Fanatical-ish price.

Like the difference between official Steam and Fanatical is not too big (RM10) so betweeen the two I'd probably just get the Steam version. But if the Green Man Gaming one seems legit, then that RM30 or so discount is quite significant

You can check the list of legit resellers on IsThereAnyDeal.com and GMG is one of them.
From what I can see basically all legit resellers sell SF6 at 15% off right now.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
GreenMan is 100% legit. They often have steep discounts since they're a secondary site and they're always fighting for a share of sales against all of Steams competitors.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
Yeah I got Elden Ring for $45 on release at GMG I think.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
The main downside of fanatical and gmg is you can't refund the key activation.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

while not as big of an issue, when pre-ordering sometimes a publisher might only send out keys to GMG/Fanatical hours after the actual unlock time for your region and that can be annoying.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

ShadowMar posted:

while not as big of an issue, when pre-ordering sometimes a publisher might only send out keys to GMG/Fanatical hours after the actual unlock time for your region and that can be annoying.

That only ever happened to me once and when it did I asked them (I think it was GMG, but it might have been a different site) to refund my pre-order and they did it very quickly with no questions.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Jack Trades posted:

That only ever happened to me once and when it did I asked them (I think it was GMG, but it might have been a different site) to refund my pre-order and they did it very quickly with no questions.

oh for sure, GMG's customer service is genuinely great and insanely quick in my experience

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Jack Trades posted:

Lmao, I just watched an Interview with Phil Spencer and he got a question about why Redfall was so bad and his answer was "well, it was already midway development when they became a part of Xbox and we were too late to help them reach the quality that's we are looking for at Xbox".

Christ. What a loving weasel.

I was pretty sure the game was going to be garbage from the first time I heard about it, the concept just didn't seem interesting at all, especially compared to what Arkane games are usually like.

e: I would've been happy to be pleasantly surprised, but, alas.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 10:25 on May 30, 2023

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Eh, I think that "Left 4 Dead, but with Far Cry style open world and bases instead of linear maps" was a pretty interesting concept, so I was open about giving Redfall a try, except everything about the game turned out to be a massive garbage fire.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Arkane's talent now works in WolfEye Studios instead.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

oh man loving EA launcher bullshit. Some update killed playing fifa 22 on the deck and like an idiot I bought fifa 23 to play on my desktop. Now it won't launch either because of some problem with the ea app communicating with the servers and I've wasted so much time trying various solutions that still won't work so I can play the dumb soccer game offline by myself.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Lt. Lizard posted:

Eh, I think that "Left 4 Dead, but with Far Cry style open world and bases instead of linear maps" was a pretty interesting concept, so I was open about giving Redfall a try, except everything about the game turned out to be a massive garbage fire.

I don't know, it just seems really generic and not the sort of thing that meshes well together.

Every other Arkane game is pretty tightly designed around a specific genre - hack & slash FPS, ultima underworld-like, stealth game, FPS with RPG elements and story FPS.

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

FuzzySlippers posted:

oh man loving EA launcher bullshit. Some update killed playing fifa 22 on the deck and like an idiot I bought fifa 23 to play on my desktop. Now it won't launch either because of some problem with the ea app communicating with the servers and I've wasted so much time trying various solutions that still won't work so I can play the dumb soccer game offline by myself.

gently caress EA and gently caress Fifa on pc. They banned me in fifa20 (pc) from the transfermarket due to coin distribution suspections. Never did such thing but just effectively played the transfermarket (mostly in position modifiers lol). Appealed several times and actually mailed a copy of my autism diagnoses as part of my explaination that my systematical looking but manually trading frequencies might be a bit maniacal but they kept responding with no, you did bad things. Same trading behaviour never was a problem on xbox year later

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Monstaland posted:

gently caress EA and gently caress Fifa on pc. They banned me in fifa20 (pc) from the transfermarket due to coin distribution suspections. Never did such thing but just effectively played the transfermarket (mostly in position modifiers lol). Appealed several times and actually mailed a copy of my autism diagnoses as part of my explaination that my systematical looking but manually trading frequencies might be a bit maniacal but they kept responding with no, you did bad things. Same trading behaviour never was a problem on xbox year later

that sucks a lot man but its also legitimately cool and interesting that you got mistaken for a bot like that

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Every time I hear about sports games I'm grateful that I'm not a sports fan.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Monstaland posted:

Lmao (not in a mean way). That's kind of bad rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Jack Trades posted:

Every time I hear about sports games I'm grateful that I'm not a sports fan.
Are you a fan of anything?