Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Enfys posted:

nbd just a house full of ticks

:psyduck:

we've done it, we've found the thing worse than bedbugs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Made a new friend today outside my front door.

https://i.imgur.com/xAmzPDG.mp4

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I remember when I was a little kid I was exploring at the edge of the forest at a family reunion because I was bored, and found a 3-foot-long snake like that one. Excitedly, I grabbed it and ran back to the party holding it in one arm up in the air, where I was met with horrified screams as adults rushed over to grab me and take the snake away. Because what they saw running towards them was a kid excitedly dashing at them with rivers of blood running down his arm and a huge snake above his head curled back around and gnawing on my forearm, the snake had been biting me repeatedly all over but since it's fangs were so insanely sharp, I never felt a thing so didn't pay it any more mind beyond "I wanna show everyone the cool snake I found!"

I learned to pay more respect to wildlife that day.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Captain Invictus posted:

I remember when I was a little kid I was exploring at the edge of the forest at a family reunion because I was bored, and found a 3-foot-long snake like that one. Excitedly, I grabbed it and ran back to the party holding it in one arm up in the air, where I was met with horrified screams as adults rushed over to grab me and take the snake away. Because what they saw running towards them was a kid excitedly dashing at them with rivers of blood running down his arm and a huge snake above his head curled back around and gnawing on my forearm, the snake had been biting me repeatedly all over but since it's fangs were so insanely sharp, I never felt a thing so didn't pay it any more mind beyond "I wanna show everyone the cool snake I found!"

This owns, good for you on both ends of this story haha

Shiney McShine
Oct 12, 2010

paperwork
Personal Earpiece
Cassowary (with a bung eye) swallowing passionfruit

Shiney McShine fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jun 15, 2023

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
Didn't have my phone handy but noticed one of my more frequent squirrel friends had a baby recently :3: had a feeling she was ready to pop by how plump she was, it was the cutest thing to see her guiding her little one over toward me while I tossed nuts out. Baby is obviously still skittish but mom still hangs around within a couple feet, I assume to show baby I'm not a threat. Squirrels rule & are so much cooler than we give credit for :)

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Five years after buying a hummingbird swing...

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

patience pays off!

love squirrel babies. love that cassowary.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

when i was 3 i looked out the front door one day in the daylight and saw a couple of raccoons hanging out in our front yard. so naturally i went straight out to pet them. my mom coincidentally had ye olde huge 80s home video camera on her shoulder and was coming around the corner to film me playing and managed to capture the whole scene and her horror as she found and interdicted me. but the raccoons were totally chill, tame, and probably not rabid; we lived very close to animal control surrounded by woods so they'd probably just been released there after being trapped by someone in some other neighborhood for being too comfortable around people. i wonder where that video is. it's a candidate for my earliest memory but that could just because I've internalized the home video

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 14:24 on May 26, 2023

Shiney McShine
Oct 12, 2010

paperwork
Personal Earpiece
Some Noctuid moths

Xanthodes tranversa

keeping warm
https://i.imgur.com/oYeszSU.mp4

Erebus crepuscularis

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Shiney McShine posted:

Some Noctuid moths
these aren't showing up for me, is imgur choking or did you remove the uploads?

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
we have a catbird nest in our front yard and the happy couple are side eyeing me sitting on the porch right now.

One of them brings food over to a nearby tree, hands it off to the other who’s been on duty, and tags in for Watching The Human while the other goes to feed their babies :kimchi:

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

Orchard Spider, there's a few of these guys setting up in my shrubs over the past day. This one held still for a picture of the neon belly boomerang. A shame my focal distance is so narrow, but look at them...Grabby eaty bits. I forget the term.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

chelicerae

and that spider is smiling

mystes
May 31, 2006

they might mean the pedipalps but it's a pretty ambiguous description so I'm not sure

mystes fucked around with this message at 01:33 on May 28, 2023

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Another friend outside my door today, didn’t appreciate me saying hello.

These varmints are everywhere in my neighborhood. No predators and they love trash day.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Cartoon Man posted:

Another friend outside my door today, didn’t appreciate me saying hello.

These varmints are everywhere in my neighborhood. No predators and they love trash day.
Rabbits are eating your trash?!

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I always see them outside on trash day in the mornings. Like clockwork. My trash is in a can, but other neighbors just leave bags on the street.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Trying sharing links from a Postimg gallery. The first one is a spider friend from a week or so ago, with my thumb for scale, and the others were from my stroll through a local park this evening.

First up from the park is what appears to be a hybrid gosling between a Canada goose and whatever the other one is:

Canada goose goslings being herded around:

Canada goose goslings starting to get their adult plumage in:

A remarkably chill blue heron:

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
D'aww

IMG_3724 on Flickr

wild turkey nest at the end of my block. There's a slice of public land between two lots that had tall grass/thistle on it and I couldn't figure out why the mowing crew left this 25'square patch of weeds. Now I know, although it will be a miracle if she pulls off this nest given how exposed she is now.

turkey hen on nest-0135 on Flickr

I saw this in the field and figured it was probably a small skipper, but when I looked at the photos I realized it was some kind of moth. iNaturalist gives me "Small Heliothodes Moth". I'm not going to argue...

Wildcat skipper moth-0038 on Flickr

Baby birds are happening. The jays have been brutal on the hummingbird nests I've spotted but apparently the juncos know what's up.

Gyuto baby junco-0101 on Flickr

also, I meant to chime in when the thread title changed but our fox squirrels loooooove gnawing on bones. One year brought a bunch of cow and pig bones I'd found in the field, as one does, and the squirrels would grab the ribs and take them up into our tree, chew on them for a couple of minutes then drop them from alarming heights into our yard or neighbors' yards.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Enfys posted:

nbd just a house full of ticks

:psyduck:

Yeah. It’s nuts. And she’s got at least a decade on me, so she doesn’t have the excuse of never having to worry about not making her pets in-miserable prior to the advent of frontline and advantage.

Anyway, I watched this butterfly land a couple of feet away from the outdoor cat’s food dish, then circumnavigate around the dish to claim that piece of kibble for its queen and country. It has been there for, like, 20 minutes. It closes its wings every time I try to get closer for a better picture.

poverty goat posted:

we've done it, we've found the thing worse than bedbugs

Not as far as getting rid of the them without resorting to arson. I think all of them from the original batches (somewhere behind the couch was also infested at that time) are not dead, since you can sacrifice your dogs to the ticks once you have prevention on them. Ticks can’t breed when they’re dead.

I’m waiting for her to be like,”See? Frontline doesn’t work!” On the big blue dog, since he is over 88 lbs, so there have been a few ticks on him. There may also be a new infestation in her bedroom in a few days since I found a very fat tick, that the dogs had killed, on the floor one morning. Possibly :nms: because it is very gross, but They are dogs and therefore gross, and have discovered that super fat ticks walking around on the floor are full of delicious gravy. So, before they were treated, I’d find crushed ticks around the house with a dog or two cleaning up the mess. But those are the ones that lay eggs once they drop off

It chose a new kibble closer to me just now.

Bored fucked around with this message at 00:28 on May 29, 2023

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

BetterLekNextTime posted:

D'aww

IMG_3724 on Flickr

wild turkey nest at the end of my block. There's a slice of public land between two lots that had tall grass/thistle on it and I couldn't figure out why the mowing crew left this 25'square patch of weeds. Now I know, although it will be a miracle if she pulls off this nest given how exposed she is now.

turkey hen on nest-0135 on Flickr

I saw this in the field and figured it was probably a small skipper, but when I looked at the photos I realized it was some kind of moth. iNaturalist gives me "Small Heliothodes Moth". I'm not going to argue...

Wildcat skipper moth-0038 on Flickr

Baby birds are happening. The jays have been brutal on the hummingbird nests I've spotted but apparently the juncos know what's up.

Gyuto baby junco-0101 on Flickr

also, I meant to chime in when the thread title changed but our fox squirrels loooooove gnawing on bones. One year brought a bunch of cow and pig bones I'd found in the field, as one does, and the squirrels would grab the ribs and take them up into our tree, chew on them for a couple of minutes then drop them from alarming heights into our yard or neighbors' yards.

I love it when it seems that the wild animals we’re hanging out with are making an effort to try to be polite.

My eastern screech owl buddy in Texas switched trees to poop farther away from me, then came back. She liked watching me play animal crossing on my phone.

I had no clue North American owls came in Chibi size until she stood still long enough while stomping on a bug one night. Sure, there are videos of the various tiny species of owl, but I did not realize how tiny they were until I witnessed them.

Edit: sorry for the double post

Bored fucked around with this message at 00:45 on May 29, 2023

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Saw a turtle.

Probably a female midland painted turtle, Chrysemys picta marginata, on her way to lay eggs in the community garden.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

She appears to be quite unhappy at being observed

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
My parents like to leave out peanuts for the local native squirrel species, Douglas Squirrels, which are far smaller and far cuter than the more common eastern gray squirrels.

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 02:07 on May 30, 2023

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Nostalgamus posted:

Almost walked right past this one on the road today. Pretty sure i wouldn't have noticed anything if it hadn't moved. Not sure what I'm looking at (Trondheim, Norway).

Rhagium inquisitor/bartreløper. The larvae live in the wood on pine trees. The pupate over winter and gnaw themselvses out in the spring.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

:neckbeard: never seen one of these guys before. It’s a tortoise beetle but I’m not sure of a more specific id yet.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

We checked back on that nest of robins behind the tansformer. They're so much bigger now!

The one out of the nest even took off flying right after we got that picture. Good job little buddy! Stay safe!

Shiney McShine
Oct 12, 2010

paperwork
Personal Earpiece
Sorry about my ealier post of moths going offline. Here again is that big noctuid moth

Erebus crepuscularis

and I hope you like my backyard bird buddies

Padre y joven

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

It has long been an axiom of mine that the little things are infinitely the most important.

:siren:thunderdome winner:siren:

Snake

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

A fake bee!

A wee centipede!

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

This little fella suprised me this morning by hitching a ride outside my car window on my way to work

You can see them using thier web as a sort support so they wont fall

mystes
May 31, 2006

Yeah lots of spiders constantly run draglines behind them while moving in case they fall

Jumping spiders are very cute

It's hard to make out but it looks like it has blue fangs so it's probably a bold jumping spider?

mystes fucked around with this message at 16:30 on May 31, 2023

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
yeah, that's a phidippus audax, the bold jumping spider, patron saint of critterquest threads. I love them, they're amazing at hunting down pests, and can even take on yellowjackets! I'll never forget seeing one leap at one midair and take it down, then wrestle it to death. badass little guys

I just had to rescue my mom from one of these big guys(not my photo, it was justifiably FREAKING OUT so it wouldn't sit still for one) who somehow got in her room and caused the dogs to go absolutely ballistic

a regular ground beetle, usually found under rocks, I have no idea how it made it all the way into her bedroom. the dog wanted nothing else but to eat the thing, and was jumping all over hell and creation trying to catch it. they can nip, so I carefully cupped my hand around it on the thing it had momentarily stopped on and carried the lot of it outside, where it proceeded to peel out and crawl almost to my shoulder before I brushed it off.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

A lot of carabids are roaming hunters, it was probably looking for chow.

sundaymorning
Sep 1, 2019

found this fucker in a pot today and it scared me at first because ive never seen a spider like this before. I was gonna ask here what it was but doing some research it appears to be a female Steatoda grossa. Frightening.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

sundaymorning posted:

found this fucker in a pot today and it scared me at first because ive never seen a spider like this before. I was gonna ask here what it was but doing some research it appears to be a female Steatoda grossa. Frightening.

Oh, that's what those are! I have a few in my utility room but I haven't been successful in getting a well-lit non-blurry photo to post here for an ID. I got to watch one capture a beetle the other day, it was fascinating. I see Wikipedia says their bite can be nasty so I will be a little more cautious about reaching into shadowed corners.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Apparently there's argument about it and based on some research it seems like false widows have latrotoxin like widows but it's slightly different and may be less effective against vertebrates

This video talks about it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLTYLYwijtI&t=2312s

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Blue heron who usually flies away as soon as it sees me. It flew away right after I took the picture. Pretty sure it’s been coming to that pond for 15 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Lone Turkey in the yard.