Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

Black Griffon posted:

Which ones won't respawn after a blood moon?

The soldier constructs. I don't know if it was a glitch or because I'd just recently killed them, but they weren't respawning.

There's even places where you can get the constructs to fight bokoblins, and the bokoblins respawned in those areas but not the constructs.

Just getting some armor to level 2 required 15 Captain 1 Construct Horns but a lot of those captains had upgraded to level 2.

Later on they respawned with another blood moon, and one of those had turned into a captain 3.

I ended up having to go into certain shrines to find enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

jackofarcades posted:

Your two best bets for sunset fireflies are

Satori Mountain

and

Faron Woods, following north from the highland stable

In general it seems like there's at least one "main" farming spot that should get 4-5 things per run, especially for the third tier of stuff for armor upgrades.

That being said, having to farm enemy specific parts based on their level is stupid because now I have a huge shortage of blue moblin horns and none of them are spawning anymore. They really needed to keep enemy level static in certain areas like the starting map.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I think they do, there's just not a good way to know where they spawn. I've gone on a few big monster hunts because I eventually wanna see what the shelter guy says when you wipe them all clean and there are definitely boss monsters of lower levels along with lower level mobs, but the interactive online maps are not clear about it.

Edit: wonder how many koroks there are this time because even though I don't need anymore really, if I wanted to get 24 more for next upgrade I can't actually think of that many I've spotted and ignored. I get the feeling there has to be a Korok pattern or three I haven't noticed.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 22:34 on May 29, 2023

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Important lore question I haven't seen asked yet - is the Nintendo Switch t-shirt in the game?

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Fangz posted:

I'm not opposed to them adding a sandbox mode where you can build whatever you like. But I keep reading from people saying you have to dupe because the game requires hundreds of hours of grinding, and I didn't grind at all and ended up swimming in resources, and I'm wondering if this isn't all a self fulfilling prophecy, where the fact that you can dupe means people don't bother to poke around outside of their preconceptions about how the game works, and hence have less fun as a result.

Maybe it's a different gameplay style but I more or less 100% BotW (outside the Koroks, gently caress the Koroks) and I rarely remember feeling poor. Part of it is that there were established tricks for making money. I spent ~20 minutes farming gourmet meats early on and never had to worry after that. Only time I had to dedicate myself to farming was when I got brainworms and decided to fully upgrade every armor set.

In TotK, there are so more resources to collect, you use them more rapidly, and they're even harder to farm than in BotW. Rupees are harder to get and bombs are now a resource. The increased difficulty pushes you toward buying and upgrading armor. That cool-rear end power you have to automate construction? That also consumes another resource as well.

In my experience the only thing that's easier to get are arrows. I think it's an intentional decision by the developers to evoke a bit of a survival game vibe. I think that works for some people, but for me, I absolutely abhor that poo poo so I just duped an save edited away.

The worst crime was the removal of the ancient saddle. I barely rode any horses because I'd go off and climb a mountain, pop into the depths, and by the time I'd come back up I'd be on the other side of the map.

AfricanBootyShine fucked around with this message at 22:54 on May 29, 2023

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Frankston posted:

Important lore question I haven't seen asked yet - is the Nintendo Switch t-shirt in the game?

No

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

AfricanBootyShine posted:

Maybe it's a different gameplay style but I more or less 100% BotW (outside the Koroks, gently caress the Koroks) and I rarely remember feeling poor. Part of it is that there were established tricks for making money. I spent ~20 minutes farming gourmet meats early on and never had to worry after that. Only time I had to dedicate myself to farming was when I got brainworms and decided to fully upgrade every armor set.

In TotK, there are so more resources to collect, you use them more rapidly, and they're even harder to farm than in BotW. Rupees are harder to get and bombs are now a resource. The increased difficulty pushes you toward buying and upgrading armor. That cool-rear end power you have to automate construction? That also consumes another resource as well.

In my experience the only thing that's easier to get are arrows. I think it's an intentional decision by the developers to evoke a bit of a survival game vibe. I think that works for some people, but for me, I absolutely abhor that poo poo so I just duped an save edited away.

The worst crime was the removal of the ancient saddle. I barely rode any horses because I'd go off and climb a mountain, pop into the depths, and by the time I'd come back up I'd be on the other side of the map.

it's a little weird they made some of the resource stuff so stingy so you can just stop in combat and eat 20 apples at any time

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

jackofarcades posted:

The soldier constructs.

Maybe because while they're hostile they aren't Ganondorf's minions? It's why the Master Sword doesn't glow against the Guardians in the Mipha segment of the DLC

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I've done a lot of Amiiboing fishing for the cool stuff and that definitely helps with arrows. Also not doing the thing the game says to do and just started hucking brightbloom seeds unless I actually want them way-the-gently caress-over-there for some reason.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Sometimes I get down below like 1k rupees and then go "Oh I have like 30 sapphires" and then I'm good again.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Resources are not harder to get at all. Rupees? Gather poes, trade for dark tunics, and sell them for 600 rupees a pop. Or use the autobuilder to mass gather apples and sell them. Do you even need that many rupees? There's cold weather gear for free on the starting island. The first base you go to has a free bed. Gloom damage is healed for free. All the best armour is free and out there for you to find.

Bombs? I guess there isn't the free crappy bomb power you had in BotW. But instead you get bomb arrows as being way more plentiful and they actually do decent damage. Once you get sage powers you get the equivalent of bombs on a cooldown timer. There's also cannons you can use for the same purpose. Or you can use zonaite to just spawn explosives.

There's more resource types, but they substitute for each other. So you don't have to specifically grind for one thing.

I don't really think the game is harder than BotW either. It's subjective, but I found it a lot easier. You just have so many more options. For example in BotW a lot of shrines are combat challenges that I couldn't pass until I can come back much later with better gear. Whereas in TotK I found myself often setting shrines aside so that I can go to them when I have low HP since completing them would be a full heal.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 23:34 on May 29, 2023

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice
I would just like to express my appreciation for the Jiukoum Shrine ("Built for Rails"). That was fun.

I also very much enjoyed whichever one was "Courage to Pluck", although that may be mostly just due to how amused I was when I realized what the name meant.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Fangz posted:

Resources are not harder to get at all. Rupees? Gather poes, trade for dark tunics, and sell them for 600 rupees a pop. Or use the autobuilder to mass gather apples and sell them. Do you even need that many rupees?

'resources are not harder to get, just farm for them'

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

AfricanBootyShine posted:

'resources are not harder to get, just farm for them'

You said you spent 20 minutes farming gourmet meats (which you still can in this game) I said in the depths there's basically rupees all over the place like candy. Just pick them up as you explore.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Fangz posted:

Resources are not harder to get at all. Rupees? Gather poes, trade for dark tunics, and sell them for 600 rupees a pop. Or use the autobuilder to mass gather apples and sell them. Do you even need that many rupees? There's cold weather gear for free on the starting island. The first base you go to has a free bed. Gloom damage is healed for free. All the best armour is free and out there for you to find.

Bombs? I guess there isn't the free crappy bomb power you had in BotW. But instead you get bomb arrows as being way more plentiful and they actually do decent damage. Once you get sage powers you get the equivalent of bombs on a cooldown timer. There's also cannons you can use for the same purpose. Or you can use zonaite to just spawn explosives.

There's more resource types, but they substitute for each other. So you don't have to specifically grind for one thing.

I don't really think the game is harder than BotW either. It's subjective, but I found it a lot easier. You just have so many more options. For example in BotW a lot of shrines are combat challenges that I couldn't pass until I can come back much later with better gear. Whereas in TotK I found myself often setting shrines aside so that I can go to them when I have low HP since completing them would be a full heal.

you need rupees if you want to upgrade a bunch of armor and the stuff you would sell to fund this is also used to upgrade the armor

you might think it's silly to want to upgrade the armor past a couple of sets but whatever

also all of the gems are very powerful fusions

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Does anyone know what the "defense up" buff from food actually does? Like does it reduce damage by a percentage? Does it add a flat amount to your def? How much?
It's the same mechanics as a 6 year old game so theoretically it should be well understood by now, but when I tried googling around I only found a bunch of godawful SEO'd clickfarming websites on "how to make elixir in botw". (I hate the modern internet.)

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

The gems are like 15 might fusions. Around the mid game they are essentially irrelevant. Just jump on to a dragon and pick up some spike bits.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

The gourmet meat farm is also a prime meat farm which is basically your healing set for a good long while too

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Does anyone know what the "defense up" buff from food actually does? Like does it reduce damage by a percentage? Does it add a flat amount to your def? How much?
It's the same mechanics as a 6 year old game so theoretically it should be well understood by now, but when I tried googling around I only found a bunch of godawful SEO'd clickfarming websites on "how to make elixir in botw". (I hate the modern internet.)

If it's like BOTW, I believe the highest rank is essentially +24 armor. I used it exclusively until I got my soldier armor to max and noticed a big difference, though I'd caution against dealing with that many Lynels because you really do just never come close to dying ever again except to gravity, which is already mostly the case at rank 3

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

rolled credits today. that entire endgame was miles better than in botw and ermagerd the music. the quiet mood-setting background music of the overworld is fine & good but hot drat the wind temple + boss and final boss themes are gonna live rent-free in my brain for a long time

there's one thing that's bugging me though. I don't think I ever actually heard that dramatic music sting from e.g. the beginning of the Carbot episode. is that actually used ingame or what? maybe just from trailers (which I avoided)?

for reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sgj7dWdQr4w

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Fangz posted:

The gems are like 15 might fusions. Around the mid game they are essentially irrelevant. Just jump on to a dragon and pick up some spike bits.

Try fusing a topaz to an arrow sometime

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

you and me both. i tried looking at one point for info on effect durations from cooking ingredients, and just drowned in ai-generated dogshit instead of finding anything useful :argh:

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

jackofarcades posted:

Try fusing a topaz to an arrow sometime

And have a worse version of the Sage of Thunder's power?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Fangz posted:

And have a worse version of the Sage of Thunder's power?

To be fair I can at least fire the topaz arrow without spending a minute finding the thunder sage.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

If it's the same as BOTW, then youtuber Croton did a good video breaking it all down a few years ago (timestamped to the armor and defense section)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ac525uJwIew&t=566s

But essentially, defense boosting food / elixers are like adding an extra 4th piece of armor to Link. Level 1 adds 4 points of armor, level 2 adds 12 and level 3 adds 24. The number total on your armor is the amount subtracted from an enemy's attack -- here he uses a silver bokoblin hitting Link for 24 HP (or 6 hearts, because each heart counts as 4 HP), then compares it to wearing a helm with 8 points of defense leaving him to only take 4 hearts of damage.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

you and me both. i tried looking at one point for info on effect durations from cooking ingredients, and just drowned in ai-generated dogshit instead of finding anything useful :argh:

Use gamefaqs, there is a whole guide which spells out the entire algorithm

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Ciaphas posted:

This spreadsheet has most of the duration info carried over from botw, although it's missing the stats for the new glow and gloom-resist food (naturally)

Mercury Hat posted:

If it's the same as BOTW, then youtuber Croton did a good video breaking it all down a few years ago (timestamped to the armor and defense section)

[snip]

But essentially, defense boosting food / elixers are like adding an extra 4th piece of armor to Link. Level 1 adds 4 points of armor, level 2 adds 12 and level 3 adds 24. The number total on your armor is the amount subtracted from an enemy's attack -- here he uses a silver bokoblin hitting Link for 24 HP (or 6 hearts, because each heart counts as 4 HP), then compares it to wearing a helm with 8 points of defense leaving him to only take 4 hearts of damage.

Thank you!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

jackofarcades posted:

you need rupees if you want to upgrade a bunch of armor and the stuff you would sell to fund this is also used to upgrade the armor

you might think it's silly to want to upgrade the armor past a couple of sets but whatever

also all of the gems are very powerful fusions

Aren't they all worse than the dragon shard equivalents that you get a baker's dozen of every new trip to dragon? AFAIK those straight up are not used in any recipes and are straight up meant to be disposables.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Idk what happened but I did the whole Lucky Clover quest and I don't have the froggy leggings.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Does freeze immunity bonus from feathered set make you immune to Ice Gleeok blasts?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
If I have a physical cartridge how do I go about playing the 1.0 version with the duping? Just erase all the game data or disconnect to play offline?

Valsu
Jan 2, 2006

Finally unlocked the fifth sage. That left arm room can suck my dick from the back. Holy gently caress what a pain in the rear end side quest.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

pentyne posted:

If I have a physical cartridge how do I go about playing the 1.0 version with the duping? Just erase all the game data or disconnect to play offline?

your switch and save will have the version number so it will ask you to update offline or online to play. I think you'd have to factory reset and start over. There might be a hacked Switch way but I had no luck last time I wanted to downgrade some other game to try some speedrun glitch thing that looked fun

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 00:51 on May 30, 2023

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Khanstant posted:

Aren't they all worse than the dragon shard equivalents that you get a baker's dozen of every new trip to dragon? AFAIK those straight up are not used in any recipes and are straight up meant to be disposables.

The spike shards are actually edible and from some quick testing pretty good. They add 20s more effect duration than egg does, and spice & eggs are already the best non-dragon ingredients for increasing food buff durations. (Guts & lizal tails are the best for elixirs.)
food recipes:
Only way to do better than this 5:50 strength 3 buff afaik is to use a dragon horn or cook during a blood moon for a crit. Or maybe an elixir but I don't have any attack bugs.
(Ignore that middle one, I was just testing whether it was edible at all before wasting my ingredients.)

e: oh wait duh, THIS is actually the longest duration recipe, at 6:10 .
i forgot i could use more than one

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 01:07 on May 30, 2023

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Fun Timeline speculation based on plotline spoilers up through at least a end dungeon cutscene and/or a couple tears

Wait you know that hand in multiple Zelda games that waited in the toilet and told you it needed paper?

That was Rauru's hand, he was teleporting around to get paper to make sure and keep Ganondorf mummified.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Oh dude sick, because they are like ~30 damage +elemental effect, which used to be fantastic but now I'm doing like lynel and silver parts for fusion.

Attack buffs don't stack right, if I'm wearing full Fierce Deity, no reason to make attack food? But I could make longer lasting defense or speed buff food with these leftover shards.

I also should test out the Rupee outfit at some point. I can't imagine there's anything left to buy and I've got gems galore if I ever needed more. And yet, even though I already have 15,000 rupees I can't spend I still scurry over to every fallen Yiga to collect their scraps and still headshot innocent cave bunnies for their rupees.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

goddamn this game is great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gw6Oswa-TS4

just vibin taking in the views. if only i knew how to record without the black bars but w/e

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Fun Timeline speculation based on plotline spoilers up through at least a end dungeon cutscene and/or a couple tears

Wait you know that hand in multiple Zelda games that waited in the toilet and told you it needed paper?

That was Rauru's hand, he was teleporting around to get paper to make sure and keep Ganondorf mummified.

my nintendo uncle confirmed this as canon

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Barreft posted:

goddamn this game is great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gw6Oswa-TS4

just vibin taking in the views. if only i knew how to record without the black bars but w/e

are you using OBS? I had that issue for a while and it turns out I just needed to literally take the image in OBS' preview thing and make sure it covered the whole screen space. It's set up so you can add in twitch overlays or whatever crap. I've got a bunch of random game clips awkwardly in the corner with black around it and only fiinally-noticed-and-fixed it for this game.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Does freeze immunity bonus from feathered set make you immune to Ice Gleeok blasts?

It just means you won't get the freeze status effect(when you're an ice statue and have to break out)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I was just doing the calls from the deep questline where you bring stone eyes from the great plateau and drop them into chasms into the deep below and reunite them with their owner.

I went around, dropping each of them in. Then went down to retrieve them, only to find two of them weren't there at the bottom. I spent some time searching in the deep for them, and eventually gave up. They were back where I found them up top. I'm guessing either they bounced out of the way and the game automatically reset them? Or I took too long to get to them, and the game just reset those steps in the quest.