Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

paul_soccer12 posted:

Wtf is "kosovo"

Some drat fool thing in the Balkans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

more USA students died from guns than USA troops last year

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

School children, braver than a troop.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

euphronius posted:

those troops fought bravely for our right to let those children die

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

paul_soccer12 posted:

taliban is aids

they should have bene crushed by the saurites

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

euphronius posted:

and people make fun of soldiers for being drop outs, now who's stupid?

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Masno posted:

(Click thumbnail to open video)
"We are handing over to the military those places where we have been for a long time. Everything has been removed, everything has been cleaned."

Yevgeny Prigozhin spoke about the transfer of the Artyomovsky Champagne Factory under the responsibility of the Ministry of Defense.

The transfer of the enterprise is one of the stages in the exit of PMC "Wagner" from Bakhmut .

Prigogine once again stressed that private property is inviolable.

During the stay on the territory, one bottle was accidentally broken - they will leave money for it on the shelf.
(from t.me/NovichokRossiya/32019, via tgsa)

one day artyomovsky's sparking wine factory will be restored to its proper glory

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Absurd shootdown claims aside, Russia has been intensifying air attacks on Ukraine in the last 48 hours. Practically all the effects are secret of course but Budanov and Zelensky have made unusual statements obliquely acknowledging the damage.
https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1662685349045256193
https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1663061256310337536
https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1663143095871983616

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm torn on whether Ukraine's level of bullshitting is "because they're really stupid" or "because they're savvy and realize the dumb Americans will believe it."

Probably varies based on the person.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Ytlaya posted:

I'm torn on whether Ukraine's level of bullshitting is "because they're really stupid" or "because they're savvy and realize the dumb Americans will believe it."

absolute baloney soviet style propaganda meets absolutely credulous guileless american audience

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Ytlaya posted:

well it is a reddit rear end war so mostly the latter, you need to keep doling out regular doses of catnip to american liberals so they don't lose faith in patriot freedom wunderwaffens. if you stop giving the liberals copium catnip, they might remove their flag emoji

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Iron Dome wins again

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Xaris posted:

flag emoji

crucial to the narrative war

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

All the serious troop journals are inevitably going to incorporate Ukrainian statements at face value and never look at the Russian/Chinese/Iranian journals for second opinions.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Danann posted:

All the serious troop journals are inevitably going to incorporate Ukrainian statements at face value and never look at the Russian/Chinese/Iranian journals for second opinions.

Why would you read those? It's proven that western weapons are superior and the enemies of democracy are laughably behind. You'd gain the same amount of knowledge from readings the mad scrawls of cavemen

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Yeah, they've been saying things like Russia is going to pay for all the recent bombings also we knocked all but one of the missiles/flying lawn mowers. And even going so far to threaten Iran, which seems stupid to do if the weapons arent effective against your mighty air defense systems that you keep begging more of.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Delta-Wye posted:

absolute baloney soviet style propaganda meets absolutely credulous guileless american audience

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Delta-Wye posted:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Those dumb Russian attacks are dashed over and over by our mighty defences. We are an impenetrable untouched iron fortress of patriot missiles and tattoo parlours. Also oh god I'm on fire help I'm on fiiiire. Ah. Aaaahhhh. Help.

The Cheshire cats grinning iron dome.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Danann posted:

(from t.me/NovichokRossiya/32019, via tgsa)

one day artyomovsky's sparking wine factory will be restored to its proper glory

Where the hell is ol' Prigozhin in that thumbnail? A Quake map?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

she slava on my ukraini till i bandera

Cheatum the Evil Midget
Sep 11, 2000
I COULDN'T BACK UP ANY OF MY ARGUEMENTS, IGNORE ME PLEASE.

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

Love that a somber remembrance is now nothing but jingoist hootin' and hollerin'.

I walked by some celebration while buying fancy ice cream. An announcer listed the accomplishments of a veteran who was also a mother of 3, and as I shook my head at those orphaned children, said woman walked to the stage and accepted the audience's gratitude for her service. Like wtf? She's alive? Memorial day is for dead war veterans only! Since when did living vets hop in on this? Some SOB working an army desk job was on the stage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N61aKhCh258

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Tom Guycot posted:

Where the hell is ol' Prigozhin in that thumbnail? A Quake map?

Cuttlefush has issued a correction as of 02:04 on May 30, 2023

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

lmfao

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
i forgot the gun!

speng31b
May 8, 2010

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

well they can't really say they're getting owned because american/western material and political support predicates that ukraine is still capable of fighting and winning

and the west has made big hints to ukraine that if they don't start turning things around, they're getting cut loose

so what's left for ukraine to do? say you're winning and winning bigly

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

speng31b posted:

Lol. Absolutely unbelievable that Roger Waters is now a nazi after a life of anti fascism. How could this have happened !

https://twitter.com/PhilMcDuff/status/1663146319731408896

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
wtf they remade the producers in 2005?!

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

yellowcar posted:

well they can't really say they're getting owned because american/western material and political support predicates that ukraine is still capable of fighting and winning

and the west has made big hints to ukraine that if they don't start turning things around, they're getting cut loose

so what's left for ukraine to do? say you're winning and winning bigly

This is a bigger problem than people realize as, for example, I had a recent presentation on International Relations that was premised on Russia being defeated, American hegemony maintained and “so-called ‘multipolarity’” being a Chinese fantasy that may lead them to making the same strategic mistake and being defeated in Taiwan. The conclusion being that both countries need to be reintegrated into the Rules Based International Order graciously.

Now I’m not at the heights of policy or anything lol but you can see how Ukraine being defeated is unacceptable - beyond you know, being embarrassed.

How many other things are premised on the narrative that’s not only been built up but officially absorbed? How many organizations have built that into their planning? Probably at least some important ones. Probably some decisions vis a vis Taiwan have been made under the belief that Russia has been set back to 2007, if not 1991-89, by Ukraine.

e: For example, whatever version of F-16 Taiwan wants to buy was mentioned as likely being decisive to deterring or defeating a Chinese PRC cross strait invasion because of the expectation of how much damage Ukraine will do when they get their F-16s. Again, this is people loving around in out little bubble away from the levers of power, but you can see how each one of those conjectures are spoken of as fact pretty much anywhere a reasonable person would go to be informed.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 03:06 on May 30, 2023

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Frosted Flake posted:

This is a bigger problem than people realize as, for example, I had a recent presentation on International Relations that was premised on Russia being defeated, American hegemony maintained and “so-called ‘multipolarity’” being a Chinese fantasy

lmfao... how is it having to sit through those and hold it all in?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Frosted Flake posted:

This is a bigger problem than people realize as, for example, I had a recent presentation on International Relations that was premised on Russia being defeated, American hegemony maintained and “so-called ‘multipolarity’” being a Chinese fantasy that may lead them to making the same strategic mistake and being defeated in Taiwan. The conclusion being that both countries need to be reintegrated into the Rules Based International Order graciously.

Now I’m not at the heights of policy or anything lol but you can see how Ukraine being defeated is unacceptable - beyond you know, being embarrassed.

How many other things are premised on the narrative that’s not only been built up but officially absorbed? How many organizations have built that into their planning? Probably at least some important ones. Probably some decisions vis a vis Taiwan have been made under the belief that Russia has been set back to 2007, if not 1991-89, by Ukraine.

there's this level of double-think going on here where China is supposed to collapse any day now, whether because of shadow banking, or Evergrande, or "a demographic time bomb set off by the One-Child Policy", or even just the broad-spectrum assumption that Communism Doesn't Work and so the PRC couldn't possibly hold together

but if that were the case, why are we spending so many billions of dollars on putting up this gigantic war machine to fight a nation that's fated to fail anyway?

quote:

Idea is that as they get closer to their deadlines, they are going to feel cornered, get desperate and do something stupid like what russia did. Used to be impossible to think about but we see in Ukraine with russia getting it's rear end kicked.

... but if these countries are going to get their asses kicked even by a country a mere fraction of its size, plus some marginal investments by the West, again, why is there a need for such a gigantic investment in warmaking to fight an enemy that is apparently so easy to defeat?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Cuttlefush posted:

lmfao... how is it having to sit through those and hold it all in?

I mean, it’s fine because it was all lessons learned from success in Yugoslavia back in the day, then lessons learned from success in Afghanistan, and anytime I put a deck together it’s about the triumph of Canadian guns in Normandy and the Hundred Days, so probably it’s just a good rule of thumb to premise your discussion of a concept by stating that you rock.

There’s likely a better social science explanation, but I would guess that talking about a military confrontation with China or whatever is more worrying if we don’t start by thinking we have the situation under control and will win. It’s at the heart of that Clash of Civilizations narrative and the Thucydides Trap as well - we’re winners, but wow look at that close shave.

I have never been to a presentation about the Thucydides Trap that stopped with the Peloponnesian War. Partly because mixed messaging - I assume we are supposed to identify with Athens but they were A) the rising power not the hegemony, and B), lost. It has always included Imperial Germany daring to challenge the British Empire and being destroyed.

So, idk Russias imminent defeat had very little to do with Op Reassurance anyway, and they’re deploying Reservists with 2 weeks notice and without Green passports and proper SCs just to keep it going.

e: I have seen a slow creep of sinology or whatever, discussion of China “not as a state, but as a civilization” so if you drill down, probably people are relying on Max Webber to believe that victory over the Chinese is anointed by God.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 03:17 on May 30, 2023

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Cuttlefush posted:

wtf they remade the producers in 2005?!

mel brooks is still alive holy poo poo

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

sum posted:

Absurd shootdown claims aside, Russia has been intensifying air attacks on Ukraine in the last 48 hours. Practically all the effects are secret of course but Budanov and Zelensky have made unusual statements obliquely acknowledging the damage.
https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1662685349045256193
https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1663061256310337536
https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1663143095871983616

do we know what russia is actually targeting currently? i know the official story is that its apartment buildings, schools, playgrounds etc but yeah

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

but if that were the case, why are we spending so many billions of dollars on putting up this gigantic war machine to fight a nation that's fated to fail anyway?

... but if these countries are going to get their asses kicked even by a country a mere fraction of its size, plus some marginal investments by the West, again, why is there a need for such a gigantic investment in warmaking to fight an enemy that is apparently so easy to defeat?

Funneling money to the MIC, of course.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

CODChimera posted:

do we know what russia is actually targeting currently? i know the official story is that its apartment buildings, schools, playgrounds etc but yeah
Same thing as always: troop concentrations, ammo dumps/stockpiles, and more recently anti-air defense systems.

Although there have been some strikes on infrastructure again like rail hubs or something.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

lol

Reminds me a bit of this old gem as well:

BadOptics has issued a correction as of 03:40 on May 30, 2023

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Frosted Flake posted:

I mean, it’s fine because it was all lessons learned from success in Yugoslavia back in the day, then lessons learned from success in Afghanistan, and anytime I put a deck together it’s about the triumph of Canadian guns in Normandy and the Hundred Days, so probably it’s just a good rule of thumb to premise your discussion of a concept by stating that you rock.

There’s likely a better social science explanation, but I would guess that talking about a military confrontation with China or whatever is more worrying if we don’t start by thinking we have the situation under control and will win. It’s at the heart of that Clash of Civilizations narrative and the Thucydides Trap as well - we’re winners, but wow look at that close shave.

I have never been to a presentation about the Thucydides Trap that stopped with the Peloponnesian War. Partly because mixed messaging - I assume we are supposed to identify with Athens but they were A) the rising power not the hegemony, and B), lost. It has always included Imperial Germany daring to challenge the British Empire and being destroyed.

So, idk Russias imminent defeat had very little to do with Op Reassurance anyway, and they’re deploying Reservists with 2 weeks notice and without Green passports and proper SCs just to keep it going.

e: I have seen a slow creep of sinology or whatever, discussion of China “not as a state, but as a civilization” so if you drill down, probably people are relying on Max Webber to believe that victory over the Chinese is anointed by God.

fuckin allison... there needs to be some ancient greek name for the trap of identifying patterns and then making up explanations for them with names that catch on but have no actual explanatory power. and then another one for applying it to materially different scenarios. although i think allison meant it as more of an off hand quip kind of thing and not serious analysis?

oh, no nevermind he wrote book on it and us/china in 2017? wtf. i thought he ended up disliking the term.

kissinger taught this guy wrong as a joke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

CODChimera posted:

they're destroying the reason i don't have single payer healthcare