Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

SuperKlaus posted:

Yeah wait what the hell the starter set doesn't give the minis to take the +4 dorks option! What am I supposed to do, buy a whole squad of guardsmen just to use 4 of em?

Well, two boxes gives you enough models to have a complete roster with every available option.

There are a few flex slots in the VG list that you can utilize a few different operatives to tune your team to be slightly better against other specific teams.

It's more for tournament/narrative stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
Go to the grocery / dollar store and buy some green army men. They are just cannon fodder anyway!

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Well I'm definitely grouchy about that. This is besides being told I'd need to buy a separate book to have the complete rules. Hmph. And there's no other efficient starter set option?

Kinda related though what's up with the medikit being a separate mini? I don't see a rule about planting your medikit on the field or anything.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

HidaO-Win posted:

GW: “These are jewel-like objects of wonder”

Target: “This is injection molded plastic and some cardboard, best I can do is twenty bucks”

"You can sell it for 44% more than what you pay. And it will, because it has an exclusive miniature in it."

"Oh, okay." *six months passes* "What the actual gently caress did you sell your soul to get these sales?"

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

SuperKlaus posted:

Well I'm definitely grouchy about that. This is besides being told I'd need to buy a separate book to have the complete rules. Hmph. And there's no other efficient starter set option?

Kinda related though what's up with the medikit being a separate mini? I don't see a rule about planting your medikit on the field or anything.

It's essentially just a marker the you remove once you use that ability since I think it's once per game.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I think the medic abilities are usually once per turning point, not per game so it's not one of those "this just represents that you haven't used the ability" things, I'm not sure why the medic bag gets it's own base really.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Maybe I could use it as a Mine token instead. Giving the Mine its own base makes more sense to me.

edit ahhh Kasrkins exist as a kill team and I like these rules where they get a pool of Special Boy points. Kind of a style like Acts of Faith. I think I could be happy owning both Kasrkins and Veteran Guard and then the former could sub in to be jabronis for the latter. Or if the rumors of Catachan Guard v Nids come true that would be cool. Hell with it, I'm placing an order and getting in

(Just gonna note this means Imperial Guard has at least two bespoke style kill teams so maybe GW give my favorite faction two also)

SuperKlaus fucked around with this message at 22:33 on May 26, 2023

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
i was finding that, even with different colors for each unit, peasant stands start to bleed together visually very quickly. it becomes impossible to tell which stand belongs to which unit

so i am now adding something unique to each unit, shared across its three stands. today's peasants feature 6mm Chickens from pendraken

close up of some chickens. the chicks are just spheres of green stuff

individual strips:

e: made new pics after gluing a broken spear!

Nebalebadingdong fucked around with this message at 02:51 on May 27, 2023

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Can you please post battle photos of these units because holy poo poo are they incredibly cool

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
i have yet to actually PLAY warmaster :v:

but i got some games lined up this summer (probably)

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Those rule, I am really consistently impressed by your Warmaster units

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 02:47 on May 27, 2023

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

They are inspirational man. Like, seeing those drives me to do better. Speaking of which, I'm 99% of the way done on my tactical detachment for epic. Just doing the decals on the rhinos now.

Edit: Here they are!

Really proud of that plasma pistol! I've got a minigeddon list I'm working towards, but after that I think I'll expand this to be the entire 2nd Company. That would be two tactical, one assault, and one devastator detacment. Which would only total 975pts, perfect as a base to build a full 3k army onto. Also it is just so cool to have a 1:1 codex company.

Virtual Russian fucked around with this message at 04:26 on May 27, 2023

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Professor Shark posted:

First round of Nobz, standing in for a plan old Greenskin Killteam:

The Gretchin were done with a slightly different paint set that required me to shade and tint Mephiston… I like it more, but I don’t think I’d be able to do it for a set of figures.

Round two already in progress, then 10 more Gretchin and a Runtherder to convert into a Rokkit Boy!

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
So, had another game of kill team today, I put together the Hunter Clade / Skitarii dudes that I could. I don't have any Sicarians, so it was just 3 vanguard gunners, 1 leader, 1 each of the other 2 named ranger guys, and 5 marksmen.

I was playing into 6 space marines.

What sort of thing should I be doing here for it to not be a total wash? Like, what should I be thinking about trying to do? Both our games were just him annihilating my guys while I struggled to find enough firepower to kill any of his? (He wiped me out both games, I killed one marine at one point). I couldn't really focus any more on objectives, we both scored as much as it was possible to. I guess I could have gone concealed more, to draw him into melee, and only opened fire at that point, but that would rely on me surviving a whole round of combat across the board with the frontline for it to do anything? I suppose still that's a better chance than not doing that.

I'm clearly doing something wrong, but I'm totally open to the idea that it's "not fielding Sicarians". Seems like maybe without them I'm lacking wounds, melee, strategems and tactics, and that's probably a bit too much of a hit.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
How many actions of shooting fo you feel like it took to kill a marine? Was he running assault intercessors with the pistols and chain swords? Did he keep you from seeing many active units? They're tough but they're not "laugh off add mech shooting" tough.

caedwalla
Nov 1, 2007

the eye has it
IMO intercessors are extremely frustrating to play against when you're new to KT. It's oppressive running into models who shoot twice, have a 3+ save, bracketed rerolls via doctrine, etc when you don't know the rules well enough to deal with all that. My first real game of kill team was against them and by TP3 I was bodied.

Now that I've played several games and understand conceal vs engage better, among other things, they're much less intimidating. Hunter Clade also seems like one of the fiddlier teams to start with so that probably didn't help.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeah I didn't mean to suggest that OP was just some scrub. I've only ever played against Intercessors, they're all my one opponent runs, and while they ARE very tough once you've shot a couple using your kill teams special gunners it gets a lot easier.

Actually I lose more than I win. :thunk:

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

When I play against them with my Scouts I mostly try area denial with my x2 Rocket Launchers and trio of Snipers, including my Sniper Sarge buffing.

That’s half my team waiting for someone to show their head.

I wish I had more luck with my Shotgunners. They tend to either pop out, fail to kill an Intercessor then die, or successfully kill them then die the next turn.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

caedwalla posted:

IMO intercessors are extremely frustrating to play against when you're new to KT. It's oppressive running into models who shoot twice, have a 3+ save, bracketed rerolls via doctrine, etc when you don't know the rules well enough to deal with all that. My first real game of kill team was against them and by TP3 I was bodied.

Now that I've played several games and understand conceal vs engage better, among other things, they're much less intimidating. Hunter Clade also seems like one of the fiddlier teams to start with so that probably didn't help.

I do think I got pretty unlucky shooting. I shot at one with two plasma guns on high setting and didn't kill him. He was the only one I managed to kill and it took the leaders special ability.

My sniper did nothing, both times it shot, he saved it all, and then obviously, it died trivially on the return fire.

I think, that was the bit I'm missing really. If any of my gunners shoot, then, necessarily, they are going to die, because, y'know, they must be able to be shot at, and his dudes were all more than capable of killing me in one ranged attack. Only the gunners could possibly one shot him, and then, it takes around 3 of my regular dudes shooting to take down one marine, but he happily kills 2 of them for poking their head out. How is that not the case? I don't think it can be as simple as this, it seems super reductive, there's gotta be something to it?

!Klams fucked around with this message at 20:54 on May 28, 2023

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I had my first Kill team game and it was great. I was able to have a slugmatch as my Voidscarred vs the Harlequins.

It was an open match siphon oil.

I made a few mistakes.

Mistake 1 was running my shaderunner in middle of board instead of trying to set up the shaderunner bomb.

Mistake 2 leave my Felarch in the open to get shot and killed before doing anything.

Mistake 3 letting my gunner in Harlequin charge range tying up multiple units.

Mistake 4 choosing awful recon tac ops against Harlequins when I can't get to their board without being shot to pieces.
Ultimately leading to me losing the damage race

Good things I did.

- keeping my starstorm duelist alive so they can kill a model each activation with 8 shots hitting on 3's
- saving my cp and using it to kill key models of his
- able to not complain or be a bad sport
- rolling a ton of 5+ for lethal 5+ to make Harlequins pay for each charge.

Anybody got any tips on how I can beat the top team?

Only things I got so far was
- Freezing grasp the Death Jester to prevent set up
- kill said Death jester so you can dominate using range
- stay 9 inches away from harlequins

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

!Klams posted:

I'm clearly doing something wrong, but I'm totally open to the idea that it's "not fielding Sicarians". Seems like maybe without them I'm lacking wounds, melee, strategems and tactics, and that's probably a bit too much of a hit.

It is in fact that. Without them you are a one note team that's easy to kill at best, and against a team that can shoot twice, "lol, lmfo".

In other news, I played against the Beastmen for the first time the other day, played by a high-level tournament player, and despite the "oh no the sky is falling" some YouTubers would have you believe that they are unstoppable "I WIN" buttons for Kill Team, I lost by 2 points, and had I made a slightly better decision turn 3 or not gotten two very terrible rolls turn 4, I probably could have won.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
What if you used model count advantage to futz around trading activations and when the marines are out use your four or so remaining dudes to try and take one of em out (even though you'd eat an overwatch)? Would that work? I haven't played yet.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.
New Blood Bowl FAQ is up. Major changes include revising how Animal Savagery interacts with the Blitz kickoff event, clarifying use of rerolls, and powerslamming Goblins into the dumpster by nerfing pretty much every trick they have.

To be more specific: Bombs have lost Mighty Blow, a bomb that knocks down the bombardier now causes a turnover, Sneaky Git no longer allows moving after fouling, Kickback causes turnovers, and the cost of Bomber Dribblesnot has somehow been left alone completely.

Also, due to poor wording, activating a chainsaw player and breaking armor (anyone’s armor, mind you) now causes a turnover.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

SuperKlaus posted:

What if you used model count advantage to futz around trading activations and when the marines are out use your four or so remaining dudes to try and take one of em out (even though you'd eat an overwatch)? Would that work? I haven't played yet.

I was thinking about it, and I think this is all I could have done. I definitely die to overwatch and don't kill him, but at least it's only one guy dying each time.

Lumpy posted:

It is in fact that. Without them you are a one note team that's easy to kill at best, and against a team that can shoot twice, "lol, lmfo".

Yeah, the fact I had nothing to spend CP on suggested my list might not have been... Good. Thanks!

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Hedningen posted:

New Blood Bowl FAQ is up. Major changes include revising how Animal Savagery interacts with the Blitz kickoff event, clarifying use of rerolls, and powerslamming Goblins into the dumpster by nerfing pretty much every trick they have.

To be more specific: Bombs have lost Mighty Blow, a bomb that knocks down the bombardier now causes a turnover, Sneaky Git no longer allows moving after fouling, Kickback causes turnovers, and the cost of Bomber Dribblesnot has somehow been left alone completely.

Also, due to poor wording, activating a chainsaw player and breaking armor (anyone’s armor, mind you) now causes a turnover.

Oh wow, hahaha - maybe they need to bring out a post-FAQ FAQ? :v: Sounds like a mess!
Out of curiosity though, what's the change with Animal Savagery? Assuming someone can recall off the top of their head - no big deal if not, as I only play Blood Bowl 2 at this stage, not tabletop.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Major Isoor posted:

Oh wow, hahaha - maybe they need to bring out a post-FAQ FAQ? :v: Sounds like a mess!
Out of curiosity though, what's the change with Animal Savagery? Assuming someone can recall off the top of their head - no big deal if not, as I only play Blood Bowl 2 at this stage, not tabletop.

The change is that, on a Blitz kickoff event, it would end if any players on your team were knocked over, meaning a failed Animal Savagery (which was changed to be “if the roll is failed to activate, Knock Down an adjacent friendly player and then do your activation”, which means it’s a reliable player if you can feed them less useful teammates) action would result in an immediate end to the Blitz event, making it far riskier to activate any of those players. Vampires especially were hurt by that interpretation. So they fixed the uselessness of the Blitz kickoff event for vampires, which is really great.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Hedningen posted:

The change is that, on a Blitz kickoff event, it would end if any players on your team were knocked over, meaning a failed Animal Savagery (which was changed to be “if the roll is failed to activate, Knock Down an adjacent friendly player and then do your activation”, which means it’s a reliable player if you can feed them less useful teammates) action would result in an immediate end to the Blitz event, making it far riskier to activate any of those players. Vampires especially were hurt by that interpretation. So they fixed the uselessness of the Blitz kickoff event for vampires, which is really great.

Ahhh, right OK - interesting! Thanks for that tidbit

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Major Isoor posted:

Ahhh, right OK - interesting! Thanks for that tidbit

Yeah, there are some fun/weird interactions in the rules. I’m still proud of getting an official clarification on the timing between Dodge and Shadowing, because figuring out that the Shadowing move technically occurs prior to the Dodge roll based off of the rules text was great and I’m sad that they changed it.

At least my goblins got nerfed when they were at the top of their game. Pour one out for lovely Dave, who can no longer perform all the fouls.

Bad Decision Dino
Aug 3, 2010

We'll invade Russia.
For some Middle-Earth content, a little batrep from my game at the FLGW this weekend. The table is and AoS table, and my Ents are shamefully unpainted. Sometimes, we take the games we can get.

We played my 600 points opponent's Angmar (Witch King's personal kingdom, consisting of orcs, trolls and spirits) against my ally's 300 points of Defenders of Helms Deep (A Rohan variant list that loses riders, but gains Lothlorien elves and the ability to spear support) and my 300 points of Fangorn (Ents).

The scenario was Contest of Champions, where each sides leaders tries rack up kills for points. This was great for us, as our leader was Beechbone, a big fighty tree, and our opponent had tooled his leader, the Witch King, for more of a spellcasting role.

In the first few turns, the troll failed his Terror check to charge Quickbeam the Ent, and got charged in return. After two rounds of combat, the troll was dead and Quickbeam unscathed. Beechbone the Ent dunked the handful of orcs that made their Terror checks. On the far left, the barrow wight failed to paralyse Legolas on the first turn, but Legolas missed his shot to kill the wight in return, allowing the wight to paralyse him the next turn. On the far right, the orcs, barrow wight and shade closed a pincer around Theoden's outmatched warband, and paralysed Theoden himself.

Over the next few turns, the elves managed to protect the paralysed Legolas and killed their opposing warband of orcs and warg riders without a single loss.

With Theoden paralysed, the rohirrim tried to close ranks and protect their king, but between the shade debuffing their duel rolls and being trapped they were losing hard. Theoden managed to shake his paralysis just in time to die on his feet.

Beechbone managed to killed a few orcs every turn, while the Witch King finally decided to commit to a fight with Quickbeam. A few rounds of combat had Quickbeam out of Might, but unwounded, with the Witch King having lost his horse, and his Might and Fate.

In the end, partially due to a favourable scenario, we ended up winning by a fairly hefty margin.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
I managed to get in two games of Kill Team this memorial day weekend against my brothers Kommandos. I usually run Legionary (Iron Warriors) but since we rarely get to finish a game due to time, I went ahead and put together a 4 man Custodes kill team. 4 dudes, no gimmicks, identical loadouts. Even post-nerf 3APL custodes I wiped the floor with him both games, conceding end of Turning point 3 in both. It was a little Feels Bad, but it did feel good to finish some games!

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
How do Tac Ops work in Kill Team, and, are there physical versions of the Hearthkyn Salvagers ones? Do I just use theirs, or do I use from the full deck?

This is the only bit of the rules I'm finding super vague.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

!Klams posted:

How do Tac Ops work in Kill Team, and, are there physical versions of the Hearthkyn Salvagers ones? Do I just use theirs, or do I use from the full deck?

This is the only bit of the rules I'm finding super vague.

You can optionally choose ONE of theirs, and the others must come from a single archetype of the team's, which IIRC are RECON and SECURITY. There are probably not physical versions of their cards, but there will be some generic "Faction Tac Op 1" type cards in the decks.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
ahhh, ok, that makes sense, so it's like, pick one of theirs, and then look at two -> Pick one twice from one of the archetypes they belong to?

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

!Klams posted:

ahhh, ok, that makes sense, so it's like, pick one of theirs, and then look at two -> Pick one twice from one of the archetypes they belong to?

yep, your four options are:

3 Recon
3 Security
1 faction, 2 Recon
1 faction, 2 Security

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
story time: a couple weeks ago i bought this really cool sci fi train from GrimDark Terrain , thinking i could paint it up for battletech

unfortunately, its just too big for battletech scale. its 8mm, which fits with Adeptus Titanicus i think. i didnt know if any AT players or maybe even epic players in this thread would be interested in it before i throw it up on SA mart. $70 shipped inside the US

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Anyone got a recommendation for round thin plastic bases? I need to base some artillery in epic, and need ~32mm bases, but I want them to match the thin low-profile bases epic uses. They are only 1.5mm thick I believe, maybe 1.6mm.

Google isn't getting me anywhere.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Virtual Russian posted:

Anyone got a recommendation for round thin plastic bases? I need to base some artillery in epic, and need ~32mm bases, but I want them to match the thin low-profile bases epic uses. They are only 1.5mm thick I believe, maybe 1.6mm.

Google isn't getting me anywhere.

Aliexpress. It's the best place to get weird specific game pieces as long as you're not particular about throwing away some and 1-2mo shipping times.

It won't be as easy to find as GW or PP-style bases (which you should never buy for >$.25 USD per) but it's usually doable. I've seen clear bases in this style before, and if you don't find some I'll see if I can.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Renedra makes some really great 1mm thick round bases that will almost certainly suit your needs.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

moths posted:

Renedra makes some really great 1mm thick round bases that will almost certainly suit your needs.

They don't seem to list thickness? 1mm would be amazing, but those look more like 3mm from the pics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Found some acrylic bases from Litko. I haven't painted an acrylic base before, would I need to sand it a bit to prep the surface?