Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Before I cobble together my real update, have a little dip into the past, some May 2010 strips of Ballard Street!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
"People who speak dialect are dumb" is a super bad take, says the linguist from his soapbox.

Haraiso Days

Cthulhu and Girl

Bardiche Hotel

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 10/23-25/50

Archie 6/19-21/47

Last one spoilered for an ethnic slur.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Demons of Baseball

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Samovar posted:

BTW would Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser from the 70s be considered apropo for this thread?

The DC ones? Assuming it's what I'm thinking of, I'm inclined say no, but I'd also say :justpost: and we can decide then, because I do want to see them. Curious to see how they were adapted, I read the entire series a little while ago but I've never read a comic version.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Phantom choosing his future wife is perfect, thank you for the edits!

Now where can we live where she will raise my son? Safe Havens has a nice preschool but Ballard Street is full of free babysitters.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Cowslips Warren posted:

Now where can we live where she will raise my son? Safe Havens has a nice preschool but Ballard Street is full of free babysitters.

There's an available property on Chickweed Lane that's very reasonably priced, but trust me, you don't want that one.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Well. Child Camp Again.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Cowslips Warren posted:

that's asking "do I want my child to be genefuckled through space and time OR do I want my child to learn a lot about pulleys and lightweight personal air travel"

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

The fact that it's explicitly called "the free kill zone" is what gets me. No euphemisms here!

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Steeple 16: Hell on Wheels Part 1

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Steeple website

John Allison posted:

Have you ever had to buy a car? It's a dangerous business. It's not like buying a washing machine. I bet buying a massive yellow snake would be easier than buying a car. Fortunately cars are now so huge, complicated and expensive that I will never be able to buy one ever again.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Some Guy TT posted:

The Demons of Baseball

I'm feeling the beanball right now.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

catlord posted:

The fact that it's explicitly called "the free kill zone" is what gets me. No euphemisms here!

What's the difference even? There's always some random bear trying to get at Kevin in his own yard, so what's special about this zone, they can kill you even harder?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Adds narrative tension.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

He should've just said "This isn't specifically the inside of that one Starbucks we established has a somehow legally enforceable no predation policy."

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

The_Other posted:

Possibly, although note that we do see Humphrey in this timeline, who is Ella's son by Dan Finster, which would suggest that Ella and Glenn Hughes parted ways as they did in the regular timeline.
This is from a couple pages back, but I wonder if her older brother never got sent to prison in this timeline, because if he avoided his breaking the law as a dumbass teen phase and didn't end up in prison it'd also improve the family situation a lot.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

theironjef posted:

What's the difference even? There's always some random bear trying to get at Kevin in his own yard, so what's special about this zone, they can kill you even harder?
technically the bear is attempting to commit a crime.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
I have no idea why Crabgrass looks weird today

Peanuts Through the Ages (Jan 6-7, 1953)

Calvin and Hobbes (Jul 8-9, 1993)

Big Nate

I think Chad's having a stroke.

Blind Alley

Dunce

Beep

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

readingatwork posted:

I have no idea why Crabgrass looks weird today

Get used to it, its the new look for Crabgrass.

Tauhid Bondia posted:

Y’all really thought short story arcs was a thing now, huh? That’s wild. Better strap in!
ALSO! Did notice anything different? That’s right! Your favorite knuckleheads have gotten a bit of a make-over. I hope you love the look as much as I do. And if not, that’s totally cool. Because soon you’ll forget what they even used to look like and when you look back at old strips they’ll suddenly feel
“wrong” to you and I’ll have won. You’ll see.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ou_Q2k9sp4

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Maybe I was in a surly mood earlier, so here's a compromise: Behold! The only African-American who exists (in 9CL)!

This also went up on the Discord hall-of-shame folder, along a lot of random bits of Brookean nausea, because if I suffer, everyone suffers. :unsmigghh:

Anyway, on to December 1st, 1941: A Date Which Has No Historical Resonance Whatsoever In America

Okay, fine, Out Our Way (December 1-3, 1941)

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

The_Other posted:

I’m just going to go find a nice quiet corner and pray that this isn’t Tauhid’s effort levels falling due to the curse of syndication as we’ve seen in other recently syndicated artists over the past couple years.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

readingatwork posted:

Calvin and Hobbes (Jul 8-9, 1993)

This Be The Verse.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Kazinsal posted:

I’m just going to go find a nice quiet corner and pray that this isn’t Tauhid’s effort levels falling due to the curse of syndication as we’ve seen in other recently syndicated artists over the past couple years.

As a pure personal taste thing I don't much like the new art but I'll give it a few strips. Luckily I don't think Tauhid will fall to the level of a certain other clown who shrank and then tripled the size of a character's head between 3 panels today.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

The_Other posted:

Huh.

You know what? I'm I'm OK with this. It's probably better in the long term for the art to evolve over time rather than stagnate in the name of keeping things "on model"

Doomykins posted:

As a pure personal taste thing I don't much like the new art but I'll give it a few strips. Luckily I don't think Tauhid will fall to the level of a certain other clown who shrank and then tripled the size of a character's head between 3 panels today.

Miles's new design looks alright. Kevin's face otoh could use some work I think. Hopefully with some practice the kinks will get worked out.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
So that certainly is a thing for Crabgrass.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Isn't that like a really old Crabgrass comic?

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

CommonShore posted:

Isn't that like a really old Crabgrass comic?

It seems like it's a remake of this comic, from back when Miles was called Curtis and the strip had a another different art style;

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I preferred the previous art style, but this one isn't terrible. I can deal.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

The_Other posted:

It seems like it's a remake of this comic, from back when Miles was called Curtis and the strip had a another different art style;

Technically it's a remake of *this* comic which is a remake of that comic.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
1980 comics

Elsewhere: Guess what came out a day ago(in 80s time):

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Legends in the Heights

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 06:04 on May 30, 2023

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (June 26, 2001)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

davidspackage posted:

Correct :hai:

Okay, just before everyone gets sick of em, last bunch:

And a blank template, in case you want to make your own (it's transparent, put a white layer underneath): https://i.imgur.com/DCY2rrM.png
Ebola (sometimes) just kills me

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Calvin I got some news for you and I think you better sit down

The_Other posted:

... I think it's good, actually!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

BigglesSWE posted:

Before I cobble together my real update, have a little dip into the past, some May 2010 strips of Ballard Street!

Gor' bless the Swanson's.

Gor' bless you, davidspackage. Would that I could come up with something using the template, but I'm too stupid.

And as for Crabgrass... I can't say I'm for or against it... Guess I'm in a wait-and-see mood.

As for F&GM, I'll try to get the scans come Friday and preliminary judgement can come this weekend.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Two characters sitting still in front of a blank wall for two squares, and you mess it up.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?