Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

zone posted:

Russians haven't hit the broad side of a barn with their planes for the most part on the fronts. Trenches and occasionally the hiding places of Ukrainian soldiers, but the majority of the destruction of Ukrainian armored equipment has been because of ATGMs, drones, mines, artillery, and a small portion of tank on tank/IFV on IFV or similar. They'd have better luck massing together as much artillery as possible along the routes of attack, though with how much of it bit the dust in recent days, they'll probably find themselves not having enough to cover all the parts of the defense network as they might like.

Yeah Russia had almost no PGMs for their planes at the start of the war, and what little they had is gone by now.

This is why we've seen so many videos of Russian planes doing low altitude bombing runs, and why their helicopters kept doing that pitch-up rocket salvo thing. This isn't stuff they'd do if they had a steady supply of something like Hellfires or even guided bombs.

Russian airpower is not a direct threat to Ukrainian armor, though it might be to support elements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

https://twitter.com/oryxspioenkop/status/1663221985705443331?s=20

Congrats.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

:cry: :utruck: :ukraine:

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/ChrisO_wiki/status/1663239282369200128
Because Russian paranoia couldn't get any stupider than it already has.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
https://twitter.com/JuliaDavisNews/status/1663234543602614276

Anyone want some glue?

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

doing drugs is cool. stop trying to make lindsay graham cool, russia.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Neddy Seagoon posted:

What causes/enables them to target their own launcher like that? Wouldn't being behind the launching missile/torpedo prevent that just by its nature?

The missile forgot where it wasn't, so it couldn't not go to where it shouldn't have been

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Doing drugs with Lindsay Graham seems like a real bad time

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Geisladisk posted:

You misheard. He does 'bugs'

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Reminds me of this

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1663227651643916293
no comment.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 33 minutes!
Soiled Meat

Geisladisk posted:

I don't know man. Soup him up on a gram or two of da joose and follow him around for a few weeks until he comes down again could be a blast.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

The Lone Badger posted:

Didn't WW2 torpedoes have an annoying habit of doing this too?
US torpedoes in WW2 either would not detonate when properly launched or would spin around and hit the submarine that launched the torp. They were garbage.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Average of 4.4 tanks per day at 2000 flat

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

My Spirit Otter posted:

Average of 4.4 tanks per day at 2000 flat

The real number is going to be at least an estimated 20% higher, Oryx believes they will never get visual on all the tanks now turned to scrap.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Russians attacked Kyiv again tonight. Air defense worked, there's some damage from debris.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

the holy poopacy posted:

I can hear the goalposts shifting already.

"Russia only liberated Crimea in response to the illegal NATO coup!"
"Actually, Russia started publicly bragging about the upcoming seizure of Crimea months before Yanukovych fled."
"Russian is so prescient and adept in its intelligence gathering that it knew of the clumsy NATO coup months in advance!"

The sound of goalposts shifting is basically ambient noise at this point.

I mean, the usual idiots on Twitter have gone from "Russia would NEVER invade" and "Russia will win this in a few days" to "Ukraine isn't winning fast enough :smuggo:"

Well except Gonzalo. He's been weirdly silent this past month.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

It seems like Russia is conducting another massive missile strike. Many more missiles were shot down over Kyiv and there's damage from falling debris. One person was injured and hospitalized. KCMA has warned people to remain in shelter.
e: there have also been attacks in Kharkiv, where the air defense also worked again.

Gros Tarla
Dec 30, 2008

zone posted:

It seems like Russia is conducting another massive missile strike. Many more missiles were shot down over Kyiv and there's damage from falling debris. One person was injured and hospitalized. KCMA has warned people to remain in shelter.
e: there have also been attacks in Kharkiv, where the air defense also worked again.

Is it me or the frequency of these is increasing?

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Gros Tarla posted:

Is it me or the frequency of these is increasing?

They've been conducting near non-stop drone and missile strikes at western Ukraine for a while now, specifically nearly the last three or four weeks.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I wonder what would happen if the Russians just went home?

zone
Dec 6, 2016

A few more reports of debris fires and damage filtered in. Doesn't appear to be any recorded hits.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I assume there's at one guy saying things like "maybe we should call off today's preschool bombardment and focus on supply depots and railheads instead" who keeps getting shouted down by all the other officers.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Tree Bucket posted:

I assume there's at one guy saying things like "maybe we should call off today's preschool bombardment and focus on supply depots and railheads instead" who keeps getting shouted down by all the other officers.

That guy got shot in the back instead of shouted down more likely

Vaginaface
Aug 26, 2013

HEY REI HEY REI,
do vaginaface!
Shooted down by senior officers

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Deki posted:

The sound of goalposts shifting is basically ambient noise at this point.

I mean, the usual idiots on Twitter have gone from "Russia would NEVER invade" and "Russia will win this in a few days" to "Ukraine isn't winning fast enough :smuggo:"

Well except Gonzalo. He's been weirdly silent this past month.

Gonzalo got arrested. He'd been putting out his pro-Russian bullshit from loving Kharkiv.

As much as I hate linking a YT short,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4l2gAf_emQ

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

mllaneza posted:

Gonzalo got arrested. He'd been putting out his pro-Russian bullshit from loving Kharkiv.

I know, I was making fun of him :ssh:

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/WarFrontline/status/1663257864809349146
https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1663259293687136275
While the occupiers desperately try to break through Ukraine's air defense, they continue getting replies with Storm Shadow.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

zone posted:

https://twitter.com/WarFrontline/status/1663257864809349146
https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1663259293687136275
While the occupiers desperately try to break through Ukraine's air defense, they continue getting replies with Storm Shadow.

Oh, HIMARS

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1663363921711857668
Two floors of an apartment building in the Holosiivskyi district collapsed either because of a drone hit or missile debris. A search and rescue operation is ongoing.

e: Serhiy Popko, spokesman of the Kyiv military administration, confirmed the use of Iranian drones in the night attack on Kyiv.

quote:

This extreme air attack, the 17th since the beginning of the month, was previously carried out exclusively with Shahed loitering ammunition, - Sergey Popko, head of the KGVA.

"The attack was massive, from different directions, in several waves. According to preliminary data, more than 20 Rashist drones were destroyed by air defense forces and means in the airspace of Kyiv," Popko said.

zone fucked around with this message at 03:26 on May 30, 2023

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

I can't believe the US forced Russia to just shoot off random indiscriminate missile attacks at civilian-filled cities

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Look, those babies knew what they signed up for when they chose to be born in a country that chose to get de-nazified by the other country that allied with the nazis to attack poland which was perfectly justified because of nazi aggression which was the fault of the west, and if you believe otherwise you're a fool; also russia would never invade and even if they did invade they'd win instantly and even if they didn't win instantly it's immoral to fight back; and the moskva is fine and even if it isn't fine it's just in repairs and even if it's sunk, that's because of bad weather, and if it isn't because of bad weather, then it's a war crime on par with bombing a bridge which is simultaneously laughably ineffectual and a heinous act of provocation by the west such as warrants a renewed wave of air strikes against The Ukraine's strategic orphanages and tactical guide dog puppy training schools.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Probably not a HIMARS to their pocketbooks, but it'll smart some and generate discontent. Signed May 29, into effect June 1:

Polish Interior Minister Mariusz Kaminski signed an order on May 29 suspending freight traffic for Russian and Belarusian vehicles across the border with Belarus, as reported by Polish news agency PAP.

https://www.pap.pl/en/news/news%2C1578401%2Cpoland-suspends-freight-traffic-border-belarus-june-1.html

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Let's goooooooo :getin:

https://twitter.com/KyivPost/status/1663273006288781313?s=20

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Tree Bucket posted:

That reminds me of something that's been going around in my head for a while. In the States both public and private enterprise does the hell out of cost benefit analysis. So, is there some guy in the Russian government pointing out that all the resources they are expending isn't worth what they stand to get in return? Or did he just get thrown out a window?

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Lammasu posted:

That reminds me of something that's been going around in my head for a while. In the States both public and private enterprise does the hell out of cost benefit analysis. So, is there some guy in the Russian government pointing out that all the resources they are expending isn't worth what they stand to get in return? Or did he just get thrown out a window?

I'd imagine the response is somewhere between "shut up bitch or you are not getting paid" or just throwing the person suggesting this may not be the most efficient course of action out the window because of Russian oligarch yesmen culture or whatever you wanna call it. At least regarding the Kremlin side of things. Big Daddy Putin clearly knows what he is doing, questioning him means you are WEAK and super Christian macho straight Russia has no room for WEAKLINGS.

As for the actual people hitting the button and making the missiles in the field, it is probably somewhere between "if I don't do this they will beat/shoot me and get another guy to do it, even though I know this is loving gruesome and stupid" to "all those nazis deserve it anyway, why would my officers and the news stations lie to me?" whether its more wanton terror on civilians or trying to argue that it might be better to save these missiles for the upcoming Ukrainian attack. If there's any military in the world that is going to get your rear end chaptered/executed for not following orders at all, it is going to be Russia.

Are people still allowed to talk about the economy in Russia as well, or did that get shuttered to the blacklist?

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

The last way I expected to learn about the Spring offensive was from Zelensky himself via state address. Somehow it feels very on brand.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

zone posted:

https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1663363921711857668
Two floors of an apartment building in the Holosiivskyi district collapsed either because of a drone hit or missile debris. A search and rescue operation is ongoing.

e: Serhiy Popko, spokesman of the Kyiv military administration, confirmed the use of Iranian drones in the night attack on Kyiv.

Wonder if that makes the Z channels proud. Are they gloating that a drone got through?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

I assume everything the Ukrainians put out about the upcoming counteroffensive is misdirection until proven otherwise.