Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Good to know we have enough quality wood to manufacture some toy horses for all the good little boys and girls!
I volunteer to dress up as Father Christmas and distribute said pleasure horses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

I tried to sneak through the canal, man! Can't make it, can't make it, the ship's stuck! Outta my way son! BOAT STUCK! BOAT STUCK!
Extended shifts 💪

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Extended shifts.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense
Triage

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.

Philippe posted:

Horse of Pleasure

This!

My little pony...

New London can be a safe haven for bronies everywhere!

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

frankly i'd be much happier if the law was actually about making hobbyhorses maybe the horse-equivalent of a mechanical bull ride than what it is in-game

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Y'know, it's weird but I'm reading this book about dictators (How to Be a Dictator by Frank Dikötter), and this game is practically pushing us into becoming a dictator. Like, it's in the playbook (had there been a playbook), but y'know, having propaganda centers blaring wall-to-wall praise for you and your policies, bully-boys to enforce your laws, hiding events that might cause discontent...

Is this a secret fascism simulator?

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

painedforever posted:

Y'know, it's weird but I'm reading this book about dictators (How to Be a Dictator by Frank Dikötter), and this game is practically pushing us into becoming a dictator. Like, it's in the playbook (had there been a playbook), but y'know, having propaganda centers blaring wall-to-wall praise for you and your policies, bully-boys to enforce your laws, hiding events that might cause discontent...

Nobody, and I mean, Nobody is making us pass these laws

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

Captain's Log, Day Twenty-Five, cont.
The votes have been tallied and our next law will allow us to use extended shifts. To be honest, I'm quite surprised this one has taken as long as it has - this would have been a far more useful law back in our early days, before the automatons took over many of our hardest jobs.

I put the workshops on extended shifts for now. I'm also forced to discreetly dispose of several ballots upon which, in lieu of a proper vote, some prankster has written something utterly depraved about a horse.

By using a checklist of the most commonly seen ailments and treatments we've seen so far, the infirmary will be able to move people in and out a bit faster.
We've also made improvements to the design of the gathering posts we've been using since the beginning; they will now be a little better able to stand up to tomorrow's cold spell. As this was a bit of a rush job, I have the researchers looking into a way to improve their insulation even more.

Our prisoners are returning to proper society. I'm pleased to see that, having learned their lesson, none of them are rejoining the ranks of the Londoners. In fact...

The Londoners have been brought back into the fold. Nobody wants to leave the city anymore. We've won a hard-fought victory over those who tried to tear us apart.
The tragedy of Winterhome crushed our hope. Fear led some people to pursue mad schemes. We couldn't let them die in the frozen wasteland. We did what was necessary to keep all of us together.

The movement to abandon the city has officially disbanded. The people now know that the only way to ensure our survival is to stand united. It is thanks to the twin pillars of Order and Discipline, as exemplified by our Generator and our Guards, that our society was saved. There is nothing left for us to fear!

In the morning we see another record-breaking temperature at -70 Centigrade. Even this is not enough to dampen the spirits of our reunited people!

Thanks to the Generator (back on overdrive for the day) we can even survive this new level of cold. It's time for another vote, with the following options:

Agitator, Pledge of Loyalty, Forceful Persuasion, House of Pleasure, Duelling Law, Triage, None of the Above.

What will our next law be?

Remalle fucked around with this message at 03:54 on May 29, 2023

RC01214
Apr 14, 2013
None of the above since agitators do not work on automatons.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
House of Pleasure! Let's celebrate!

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

I tried to sneak through the canal, man! Can't make it, can't make it, the ship's stuck! Outta my way son! BOAT STUCK! BOAT STUCK!
None

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

None of the Above

House of pleasure would have been... useful earlier when discontent was a larger issue, but we have most of the issues over now, better to keep things as they are and work towards surviving.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Real miss not voting to pleasure Horst, the poor guy is getting lonely.

painedforever posted:

it's definitely allows you to be and all the bad events so far encourages you to increase your direct power over the populace, and I'm not seeing any opportunities to relinquish any of that power.

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

Agitators.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

None of the Above

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

House of Pleasure.

Panem et circenses, if we're going whole hog down that path.

Am I being unfair about this? As the player, we are meant to have all of the agency in the game and doing literally everything because that's how video-games work, but that's also what all of these dictators tried to do in the early 20th century... or at least took credit for. And the game presents this as a literal life-or-death situation, because we're the last bastion of civilization left in the world (presumably) but still...

Is Faith much better? I'm guessing not.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.
With the citizens in full support, there’s no better time to enact controversial legislation like Triage.

Pleasure? Service to the state is the only true pleasure.

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

painedforever posted:

It really depends how far down the path you're willing to go - it ends up being the same authoritarian hellhole as Order if you go all the way. You're absolutely correct, the game does have a narrative that it's trying to push you along, sometimes subtly, sometimes not so; I want to talk more about it once we get to the end of the scenario, but we've seen enough so far to recognize that the central question the game is asking you is "how far are you willing to go?"

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

By popular demand posted:

it's definitely allows you to be and all the bad events so far encourages you to increase your direct power over the populace, and I'm not seeing any opportunities to relinquish any of that power.

The game feels like it's trying to show the reasoning behind why society has things like police patrols and a good newspaper, and I wouldn't be surprised if it starts to slide towards trying to show why dictatorships happen. The road to Hell, and all that.

For no real reason, we should institue Duelling Law. Nothing bad ever happens after a duel.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
None of the above.

It just doesn't seem like we need any of these things. Well, agitators might help, but aside from that everything else just seems dubious at best.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Nothing

Seems like we have everything we could need or want and then some.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
None of the Above. As everyone has said, we're in a good place and just need to hunker down.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
None of the Above for the record I have only beaten the game with faith. But it is possible to keep that within... reason.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Just saying that I'm enjoying the progressive change in tone of the narrative, OP. Good job with the LP.

vetinari100
Nov 8, 2009

> Make her pay.
Agitators on the off chance that we'll suddenly need to employ lots of people. Otherwise we're set.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

painedforever posted:

Frank Dikötter

Name sounds familiar, is he by any chance a racist Dutch dude in Hong Kong?

e:

Voting Agitators just in case, will probably vote for none of the above afterwards.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Mechanics talk regarding Londoners, very slightly spoilery: The second phase of the game also lasts either max 15 days or until you end the Londoner movement, one way or the other. We are about to enter stage 3 of the game.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

nothing :effort:

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
I find it kind of annoying to play this game after listening to the Behind the Bastards episode on Elite Panic.

For those not in the know, the entire concept of Elite Panic is "In a disaster or crisis, the poor and common people will go crazy and start looting and stealing and going all purgey, so the elites need to use FORCE to keep ORDER." The problem with this is that, in general, in disasters and times of crisis, people tend to band together and work together to survive and help each other out.

The biggest threat during these disasters and crises is, as best exemplified by the Ycua Balanos supermarket fire, Elite Panic itself. Where the Elites are so worried about the people and looting that they immediately care more about implementing force instead of dealing with the crisis. In the Ycua Balanos fire, it was the store owner ordering the doors to the burning building locked so that customers would not be able to leave without paying for stuff (So they didn't steal anything, according to him). During the 1900's San Francisco Earthquake, initial community organized relief efforts and mutual aid were disrupted when the US army showed up and insisted on military discipline and started attacking people for being 'looters'.

Basically what I'm saying, and this is a bit political, is that Frostpunk kinda feels like it was written by the kind of shitlibs who believe in the Elite Panic myth.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elite_panic

Fivemarks fucked around with this message at 16:37 on May 29, 2023

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Fivemarks posted:

I find it kind of annoying to play this game after listening to the Behind the Bastards episode on Elite Panic.

For those not in the know, the entire concept of Elite Panic is "In a disaster or crisis, the poor and common people will go crazy and start looting and stealing and going all purgey, so the elites need to use FORCE to keep ORDER." The problem with this is that, in general, in disasters and times of crisis, people tend to band together and work together to survive and help each other out.

The biggest threat during these disasters and crises is, as best exemplified by the Ycua Balanos supermarket fire, Elite Panic itself. Where the Elites are so worried about the people and looting that they immediately care more about implementing force instead of dealing with the crisis. In the Ycua Balanos fire, it was the store owner ordering the doors to the burning building locked so that customers would not be able to leave without paying for stuff (So they didn't steal anything, according to him). During the 1900's San Francisco Earthquake, initial community organized relief efforts and mutual aid were disrupted when the US army showed up and insisted on military discipline and started attacking people for being 'looters'.

Basically what I'm saying, and this is a bit political, is that Frostpunk kinda feels like it was written by the kind of shitlibs who believe in the Elite Panic myth.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elite_panic

I mean I would disagree and I think that is evident in some of the other scenarios, we can get into that after this round completes so that people who have never played aren't spoiled.

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

Fat Samurai posted:

Just saying that I'm enjoying the progressive change in tone of the narrative, OP. Good job with the LP.
Thanks, I really appreciate it! I've been enjoying the discourse we've been getting lately, hopefully the end of the scenario will clear some things up as to what the developers intended (and to what degree they succeeded).

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense
Triage

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.

painedforever posted:

Both Faith and Order are similar in that initial laws are benign/reasonable and descend toward authoritarian nightmare as you move along the track. How far you go is up to you. The game puts pressure on the player, in the form of steadily dropping temperature and crises such as the Londoners, to consider increasingly drastic measures to hold everything together. Good play (i.e. resource management) reduces this pressure; the best way to keep order is to meet your city's needs. The OP is playing well enough that we don't actually need all the laws we've been passing (both Order and Adaptation) but, in video games and LPs of same, sometimes it can be fun to go too far. I've been playing the role of authoritarian shoulder devil in this thread, but that's just for funsies -- in a real game I try to keep as light a touch on the populace as I can manage.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
At this point that isn't snow falling, that's carbon dioxide solidifying out of the air.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

my dad posted:

Name sounds familiar, is he by any chance a racist Dutch dude in Hong Kong?

Not sure about the racist thing, but since the rest of the stuff checks out (Dutch, living in Hong Kong), I'm guessing yes? He wrote a bunch of books about Mao and the Great Famine, which journalists liked, but academics were all like, "He ain't been using the sources right." Apparently, he's been making arguments that imperialism wasn't quite so bad, actually.

This book isn't so bad. I've gone through Mussolini, Hitler, and I'm working through Stalin. It's a bit simplified (since each of them only gets a chapter but gets the major beats alright.

Remalle posted:

It really depends how far down the path you're willing to go - it ends up being the same authoritarian hellhole as Order if you go all the way. You're absolutely correct, the game does have a narrative that it's trying to push you along, sometimes subtly, sometimes not so; I want to talk more about it once we get to the end of the scenario, but we've seen enough so far to recognize that the central question the game is asking you is "how far are you willing to go?"

Oh cool! I'm looking forward to it!

I never looked at it in much detail when I played. I'm more focused on getting to the end of it... which might actually be the point vis-a-vis expedience?

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Dueling Law

Our good captain can't be expected to resolve every petty dispute

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
Law of Duels.

ChaosDragon
Jul 13, 2014
So how are we on supplies captain?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosDragon
Jul 13, 2014
So how are we on supplies captain?