Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

The Zombie Guy posted:

Been debating getting a Switch, and I'm curious if there's any issues with certain versions, or anything else to watch for when buying.

I was looking at the OLED model on Amazon, and there's a Zelda edition for another 20 Bux. Anything to keep an eye out for?

Almost all of the differences between the regular and OLED models make handheld/tabletop better, so if you’re like me and plan on playing docked 90%+ of the time you can save some money and get the regular model

OTOH if you plan on spending any significant amount of time in handheld/docked definitely spring for the OLED model, the difference in the screens alone is stark and worth the extra money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

bowmore posted:

Switch 2 will be 860p

drat, even better than the Deck?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

I don't even care if they ever make another console because I've got five years worth of backlog already downloaded

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

KingSlime posted:

"I'm worried for my very young daughter even though she looks and acts like a child she is actually 60 years old and-"

Why does anime follow me like some terrible curse. Anyways mashing x thru the dialogue so I can get back to hiking is the true Pro mode

are you referring to the adult fish lady who is very clearly an adult fish lady when you meet her five seconds after meeting her dad
maybe mash through dialogue a bit less op

Augus fucked around with this message at 00:26 on May 30, 2023

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Augus posted:

are you referring to the adult fish lady who is very clearly an adult fish lady when you meet her five seconds after meeting her dad

They might be talking about the BotW quest

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Mods please rename me to adult fish lady

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

For the record, that is one of three ways to leave the underground without fast travel I've found. Presumably you could also plain ol' climb the chasm if you have enough sunny/endurance food, but I've never bothered to try.

This sounds far less fun than the correct answer: ride a dragon (at select locations).

I really should've set up a Switch emulator for this. It plays fine for me docked on the Switch but my new PC will do 4k@60fps pretty easily (general emulation issues aside).

Augus posted:

better graphics and fps are nice and all but what I would really like to see is the kind of magic nintendo could work on a console with an SSD

I'd hope the next Nintendo console comes with an M2 SSD considering how cheap those are and their cost is only going down. Hell, Nintendo games are on the small side so even a 512GB M2 SSD would go a long way and you can find ones online for $20-30 at the low end so it's not like Nintendo wouldn't be able to get them even cheaper. Hell, they'd probably pay a similar amount they did for the memory the Switch comes with that they setup deals for a decade ago.

There really isn't a reason for them not to go that route unless they want the next system to be even smaller or something like that. Maybe if the Steam Deck and other handheld PCs sell well it'll help force Nintendo to do it if they weren't planning to.

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

Augus posted:

Maybe referring to Purah the inventor woman, who had the appearance of a little girl in BOTW despite being Impa's older sister at over 100 years old. She's portrayed as an adult now in TOTK. Still weird, but an improvement

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Finally bit the bullet, got one of those gulikit hall effect Switch joystick replacement kits off Amazon and installed them myself. If they weren't to replace my extravagantly defective original joysticks I would call this a hard pass, they feel oddly spongy when tilting upwards and vaguely imprecise in general use, but they at least came with everything needed for the DIY job (short of instructions), some bonus textured joystick caps that actually keep my thumbs from constantly slipping off, and for $40 I finally have use of the joycons that have been paperweights for the last 5 years with a vague assurance that they will continue to work, rather than being out of pocket $100 for something that's almost guaranteed to fail within another year.

Time will tell I guess.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

You could have just mailed them into Nintendo for free

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Evil Fluffy posted:

This sounds far less fun than the correct answer: ride a dragon (at select locations).

I really should've set up a Switch emulator for this. It plays fine for me docked on the Switch but my new PC will do 4k@60fps pretty easily (general emulation issues aside).

I'd hope the next Nintendo console comes with an M2 SSD considering how cheap those are and their cost is only going down. Hell, Nintendo games are on the small side so even a 512GB M2 SSD would go a long way and you can find ones online for $20-30 at the low end so it's not like Nintendo wouldn't be able to get them even cheaper. Hell, they'd probably pay a similar amount they did for the memory the Switch comes with that they setup deals for a decade ago.

There really isn't a reason for them not to go that route unless they want the next system to be even smaller or something like that. Maybe if the Steam Deck and other handheld PCs sell well it'll help force Nintendo to do it if they weren't planning to.

i think smart odds are on them going with emmc flash again to keep the price down. looking at consumer ssd prices is basically pointless for this type of thing

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Len posted:

You could have just mailed them into Nintendo for free

I sincerely doubt they were still under warranty by the time I even found out that that program had expanded outside the US.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

MonkeyforaHead posted:

I sincerely doubt they were still under warranty by the time I even found out that that program had expanded outside the US.

the program actually is free regardless of warranty status, it's a no-questions-asked thing

obviously doesn't matter now and tbf their repairs are always temporary anyway

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
Yeah Nintendo will replace all drifting sticks for free now, they recognized the cost of pissing literally every Switch owner off. But also non-Hall replacement kits are like $10 on Amazon. It’s never been a matter of having to buy more joycons.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Switch 2 CPU just revealed: https://youtu.be/It9D08W8Z7o

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
i wont be clicking that link based on the thumbnail, namaste

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

you can see the thumbnail?

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Been playing through the Case of the Golden Idol since hearing about former Giant Bomber Vinny talk about it on the Nextlander podcast. If you liked Return to Obra Dinn, you owe it to yourself to get this one. Lot of the same puzzle logic of reconstructing scenes and figuring out who's who in a vignette

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

WarpDogs posted:

the program actually is free regardless of warranty status, it's a no-questions-asked thing

I bought my switch second hand, years after release. Long after the warranty would have expired. They replaced the drifting joycons no questions asked. Didn't even need proof of purchase or anything.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

POCKET CHOMP posted:

i wont be clicking that link based on the thumbnail, namaste

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I didn't get a thumbnail on mobile and it's just a video previewing some Nvidia tech for supercomputers basically.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Tried out Mario+Rabbids Kingdom Battle and I'll admit I'm not really getting it, like visually it's cute and charming but from a gameplay perspective it feels both too simple and too vague in different areas, admittedly I'm still in the tutorial segment of the game but it still feels off, more like a tech demo than an actual game

Science_enthusiast
Dec 2, 2018

TECH(no) WOMBLE
Dear thread. I am sort of interested in checking out the new fire emblem but the fact that it has an expansion pass is a turnoff for me. Does the game feel complete without?

I liked three houses but it was too easy and i skipped all the story stuff. The combat was compelling enough to keep me going and engage looks like its more or less ONLY combat. Which sounds good!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The DLC already all came out so you could just look at what it is and see if it seems worth it. Anyway yes the game is complete without it.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

drrockso20 posted:

Tried out Mario+Rabbids Kingdom Battle and I'll admit I'm not really getting it, like visually it's cute and charming but from a gameplay perspective it feels both too simple and too vague in different areas, admittedly I'm still in the tutorial segment of the game but it still feels off, more like a tech demo than an actual game

You’re in the tutorial. They introduce lots more enemy types, status effects, terrain, etc, to the point where I was honestly challenged for most of the back half of the game and had to retry most levels at least once.

Zarlog
Dec 7, 2005

Zarlog, Protector of Baal
My main complaint about fast travel is the sound reminds me of the old Ninja Turtles theme song

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Is there a good third-party joy-con alternative? My twice-repaired official ones are drifting again. Already have a pro controller but I do like to be on handheld sometimes.

Pierson fucked around with this message at 15:57 on May 30, 2023

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Put gullikit hall effect sticks in yr joycons

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

All third party joycons are missing one thing or another deliberately to maintain the status quo that the lovely third party controller is for younger siblings, cousins, and visiting friends who you don’t really like that much ONLY

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Nah that's not really true in 2023. I'm still loving my NYXI Hyperion, use em docked and in handheld all the time and they own hard. For ToTK I set the led lights on each joycon to green on left and blue on right, best controller ever

I am surprised that there aren't many viable alternatives though

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Science_enthusiast posted:

Dear thread. I am sort of interested in checking out the new fire emblem but the fact that it has an expansion pass is a turnoff for me. Does the game feel complete without?

I liked three houses but it was too easy and i skipped all the story stuff. The combat was compelling enough to keep me going and engage looks like its more or less ONLY combat. Which sounds good!

zero idea why you would skip all the story stuff in 3H but w/e. anyways, Engage can be much trickier than 3H was especially with skirmishes and training battles, there's more of a focus on the combat, and the game feels very complete even without the expansion pass. so, yes

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

it's funny because for my money so far Engage is the better game but i like 3H better in a personal way since after i picked it back up as my first FE after only getting to chapter uhhhh 4 i think, i beat both Verdant Wind and Azure Moon in around a two-week span. game just sunk its teeth into me lol

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Oh drat, looks like Rune Factory 6 got announced.
I'm cool with them staying 3D so long as it's not a weird, empty and poorly-optimized game on the Switch this time.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

KingSlime posted:

Nah that's not really true in 2023. I'm still loving my NYXI Hyperion, use em docked and in handheld all the time and they own hard. For ToTK I set the led lights on each joycon to green on left and blue on right, best controller ever

I am surprised that there aren't many viable alternatives though

They look like something mad catz would have put out lol

I don't see anything about amiibo/gyro/hd rumble on their website for the posting so if it doesn't have one/all of those things it's still missing something

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
They have normal not HD rumble and excellent gyro function that matches the pro controller, only knock against them would be that they do feel a bit cheaper than the pro controller but certainly much better than standard joycons. I like my joysticks THICC. Also you get pretty sweet customizable back paddles and a turbo function that can be mapped to any button which I never use

Best feature is legit the rgb lights they're a blast to play/customize with and actually look clean as hell imo

Amiibo is dumb so it's actually a plus for me that it doesn't have it. Doesn't the switch itself have a sensor tho? Never owned or used one meself

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
The sensor is under the thumb stick of the right joycon.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Ah fair yeah I don't think they have that but I'm happy to trade that feature for insanely improved joy con ergonomics. OLED upgrade + third party joy cons got me obsessed with the switch like never before. Feels as cozy as my poor neglected steam deck

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

mdemone posted:

I don't even care if they ever make another console because I've got five years worth of backlog already downloaded

At this rate I won't even beat Tropical Freeze by the time Super Switch comes out. Please, Nintendo, think of my backlog.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Do another stereoscopic 3d handheld, with a bit higher res, and no second screen this time please uncle Nintendo. That 3ds was magic and I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

B33rChiller posted:

Do another stereoscopic 3d handheld, with a bit higher res, and no second screen this time please uncle Nintendo. That 3ds was magic and I love it.

Already exists:

https://www.nintendo.com/my/switch/adfx/index.html