Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Xerophyte posted:

Sage will likewise eat Canapes in bis I believe. At least, it's the solution that both the Balance and my janky home-made Sage sim/simulated annealing meld solver arrived at, by a very small margin.

However, I believe baked eggplants are preferable for a lot of the on-the-way gear sets. Canapes win when you're at +190ish to +210ish SpS from gear, where they happen to breakpoint nicely.

Yeah, RN Sage is looking at eggplant for pre-BiS, since it's already hitting a 2.43 GCD with that set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
I'm really liking the new island update. I hit Rank 13 this morning. The new area is nice and exactly what I was expecting, but it's kinda small. Glamours, on the other hand, are great. Looking forward to upping my item count. I hit 75 pretty quick.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
I’m getting close to done with the main story of Zelda and am getting the itch to resub. Getting excited to hang out with my best friends, the scions.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Sometimes I wish we had a thread just for high-end content woes, because this, from the newest EX, is about the most baffled I've ever been at another player in a PF group:

If you know, you know.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

I still don't think they can hit the boss from the tower. The new EX doesn't have the size increase the raid bosses got.

Edit: Either way, you're not in the tower for very long once the KB fires. And who cares about optimizing uptime in an EX anyways?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Also, it's an Extreme. Tank uptime isn't real.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I would simply be a PLD and be in ranged phase.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
We all just gotta go to tomahawk town sometimes.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

I’m thinking about giving this game a shot for the first time and wouldn’t mind any class recommendations. Typically I go for Physical DPS/Hybrid builds that have good survivability/mobility - think Shaman, Rangers, Paladins.

Other than the latter, are there any other classes anyone would suggest?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

If you want mobility, ranged physical (Bard, Machinist, Dancer) is the most fitting role. The only one you can start as is Archer, which becomes Bard, though.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Dancing is the best job imo

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Flavorwise, if you're looking for hybrids, you probably want Ninja or Red Mage. Ninja. Ninja dual wields daggers with a dash of ninja magic, and Red Mage is a full on magic/melee hybrid: cast spells to build up meter, then blow that meter to unleashed enchanted melee combos on the enemy.

Neither are usable from the start though. :v: Rogue (the base class for Ninja) unlocks when you get another class to 15, Red Mage requires you have another class at 50 and the Stormblood expansion

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

John Brown posted:

I’m thinking about giving this game a shot for the first time and wouldn’t mind any class recommendations. Typically I go for Physical DPS/Hybrid builds that have good survivability/mobility - think Shaman, Rangers, Paladins.

The big thing about FFXIV is that you can take every job on one character and change freely, and there's not much "building" to do, since there aren't any specs or anything -- every character of the same class has the same kit. For DPS with good mobility, there's Pugilist/Monk (pure melee but gets a gap closer early, with a little party utility later), Archer/Bard (ranged DPS with plenty of mobility and a lot of utility), and maybe Lancer (relatively high-armor melee with some mobility)? You can change as soon as you get to level 10, which is very quick, so don't worry too much about your initial pick.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

There aren't really any hybrid DPS jobs in XIV - just classes that deal less DPS in exchange for having utility like freedom of movement, long range, a battle rez, or clutch heals/shields. Play what you think looks cool.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

John Brown posted:

There's nothing really analogous to wow style hybrids here, every job only has 1 role and does not branch out of it. That said, I used to main paladin and then shaman back in WoW so as far as FEELING like a hybrid, red mage and paladin would be the closest. Red mage is ranged dps (though they have a melee phase) and paladin is a tank though. If you wanted to stick strictly to melee dps, monk easily has the most mobility and their kit also takes the least time to get going into something resembling their end game rotation. Monk is also the speediest job in terms of GCD so it will feel the least weird coming from WoW.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Chillgamesh posted:

There aren't really any hybrid DPS jobs in XIV - just classes that deal less DPS in exchange for having utility like freedom of movement, long range, a battle rez, or clutch heals/shields. Play what you think looks cool.

And by 'less damage' we mean 'marginally less'; like, the difference between highest and lowest DPS in a particular role is a difference of degrees.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Roluth posted:

I still don't think they can hit the boss from the tower. The new EX doesn't have the size increase the raid bosses got.

Edit: Either way, you're not in the tower for very long once the KB fires. And who cares about optimizing uptime in an EX anyways?

I figure if you're among friends you can make a case for the tank to take one of the ranged dps spots for the north tower, but anyone who insists on doing this in a pug group is, unfortunately, an idiot 😔

I do like golbez EX. a bit on the easy side, which is fine by me cause I've been cutting my teeth on BLM with that fight and it not pushing back too hard outside of a couple of body checks is great.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

John Brown posted:

Don't have anything to add for class choice but want to point out that we do have a XIV newbie thread this way https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4013065

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

The new mount doesn't scale with character size

So now I'm a big guy hitchin' a ride with a little guy :pcgaming:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Cleretic posted:

And by 'less damage' we mean 'marginally less'; like, the difference between highest and lowest DPS in a particular role is a difference of degrees.

Yeah, if you're used to class balance in a lot of MMOS this game is surprisingly tight. Not ideal, but a lot closer than some.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Chillgamesh posted:

The new mount doesn't scale with character size

So now I'm a big guy hitchin' a ride with a little guy :pcgaming:

It has been a WEEK. You're already at rank 25? :kstare:

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

I had May off from my clinical program so I had a lot of free time :shobon: I'm going back to school/work tomorrow

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

John Brown posted:

I mentioned this a bit earlier, but since you can unlock other classes very early, and change them freely from there, the main effect is which starting city you get. You visit all three soon enough but you get a bit of extra story for your first one. I strongly suggest picking a class from Ul'dah.

Of the Ul'dah classes it sounds like Pugilist (becomes Monk, melee DPS) or Gladiator (becomes Paladin, tank) would be good choices. There's not really hybrid builds, but to me tanks feel the closest since they've got survivability, self healing, and decent damage (not as good as DPS, but better than healers). On the other hand if you like being highly mobile you might not like tanking since you have to hold the boss still.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

John Brown posted:

The most important advice I'd give re: classes is to not get too hung-up on leveling a main. Progress through the game is mainly limited by story quest progression, and the story quests give enough XP to level at least 2 jobs. You get double XP on any job lower level than your highest and there's a bunch of catch-up mechanics. There's also a lot of story -- as in, several hundred hours of a single linear quest path that gates access to literally everything -- and if you try to race through it all to become "current" on a main ASAP you'll probably burn out horrifically.

So, at minimum, when the game tells you around level 15 that, hey! you can now play other classes on your character: play some other classes. At least try one in each town. In general, when the game says you can now try [feature/dungeon/raid/etc], try that thing. The game isn't big on sunk costs, apart from the ones inherent in the entire "is a diku mmo" thing.

Relatedly, your initial class choice isn't particularly important. Your starting town is ... also not very important, but does determine what intro story you get. Ul'dah is generally considered slightly better with Limsa 2nd but if you don't want lovely small capitalists and prefer lovely shinto xenophobes then Gridania is there for you.

For concrete starting class advice:
- Gladiator is a tank. Tanks are good solo, which matters very little. Doesn't have a strong identity early on beyond "has shield", later gets magic ranged attacks and heals.
- Marauder is the other starter tank. Still good solo, still doesn't matter. Builds meter by hitting, spends meter on big numbers. Very self-sufficient later with lots of self-healing.
- Lancer is the simplest starting melee. They're very boring and make you start in Gridania. Later they get long attack chains and jump around a lot.
- Pugilist is the fastest melee. They have flexible attack chains and a shorter GCD. They get a reasonably complete kit early, for a melee.
- Rogue isn't a starting option but is available early. Their attack chain is boring but they get ninja magic and become the JFM finger gymnastics burst option later.
- Archer is very mobile and initially very simple, which can be good or bad. Later: lots of dots, lots of buffs, lots of plate-spinning. Can aoe at low levels, unlike all the other dps.
- Thaumaturge is the big numbers turret caster. It's my main DPS so I quite like them, but you'd best enjoy the concept of not moving whilst casting spells that start with Fire.
- Arcanist is the sorta-pet caster, but the pets are just abstract phases now. Very mobile. Considered simple, changes little over the course of leveling. They're also the only class to have both a heal and a dps spec, sort of.
- Conjurer is the one starting healer. They are very boring when not in a group healing. Do not play Conjurer solo in the world.

I'd suggest Monk, Arcanist or Archer to start. Thaumaturge if you absolutely know you like standing still and cast bars. Tanks are fine if you don't mind tanking (you probably shouldn't, it's very easy compared to ... other mmos). Favor aesthetics, don't expect to land on your favorite job immediately, don't worry too much. Do not start as Conjurer, if you want to heal then pick it up later and use it in dungeons.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

hazardousmouse posted:

I was def planning on going canapes for rdm. am i being a dumb?

more crit more better!

RDM generally wants to avoid sps (both on gear and from food) because

Red Metal posted:

if a skill has a base cast/recast time of 1.5s or lower, it's entirely unaffected by those stats

The melee combo is 1.5s so it's unaffected by sps, and that's a big chunk of your total damage output.

There are sometimes specific fights where you might want sps food - some people used garlean pizza for P8S part 2 - but you're usually better off with det/crt food.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Chillgamesh posted:

I had May off from my clinical program so I had a lot of free time :shobon: I'm going back to school/work tomorrow

It's more the sheer amount of PvP you'd have to play in that time period that concerns me; I'd end up stopping due to getting fed up with other people after the second day :sweatdrop:

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
What's up with Frontlines being all Scholars all of the sudden? I feel like I missed something.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Vitamean posted:

I figure if you're among friends you can make a case for the tank to take one of the ranged dps spots for the north tower, but anyone who insists on doing this in a pug group is, unfortunately, an idiot 😔

Sounds like way more trouble than it's worth even with friends since you need to notice what other people have and flex

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Qwertycoatl posted:

Sounds like way more trouble than it's worth even with friends since you need to notice what other people have and flex

our friend groups are built different I guess

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Ojjeorago posted:

What's up with Frontlines being all Scholars all of the sudden? I feel like I missed something.

If enough Scholars spread their dot at the same time, the whole enemy team just dies 15 seconds later.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Tamba posted:

If enough Scholars spread their dot at the same time, the whole enemy team just dies 15 seconds later.

ff11 wotg launch scholar's back, baby

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Vitamean posted:

ff11 wotg launch scholar's back, baby

Dang, beaten to the reference.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Ojjeorago posted:

For some godforsaken reason they decided to roll back the passive healer damage penalty in Frontline so now you just splatter people

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
That's the joke.

It was only -10% before.

They were always good and even solo you can go on a number padding adventure that is hugely beneficial to your team and giving 8-16% damage reduction to 1/3-100% of your team.

Think about it this way: everybody lost their poo poo when Summoner could do 10-20k damage in a huge AoE with their LB. Scholar does that every 15 seconds. :twisted:

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I'm impressed somebody managed to use that frame well.

Ojjeorago posted:

Last night I had one where Adders got dunked early, and then actually coordinated enough to have most of them switch to DRK, DRG, and RDM. They came back and very nearly won after lots of salty posts in Mael /a chat.

Of course, you can avoid dying to that by just popping shield as soon as a DRK pulls you. If they were coordinated enough to make the mass job switch, they could have instead gone all SCH and actually won with dot hell that gives you no warning before you're a walking dead cat.

E: one fun thing with the new Shatter is each of the outside big ices gives one team a ramp, and another team can get there fast by jumping down a cliff. But that leaves them with no quick exit. A lot of people don't seem to realize yet that means they have to leave the area a little early, so a lot of cliff jumpers get corralled and steamrolled, cutting into any points they got from the big ice. Hooray situational awareness!

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 13:28 on May 30, 2023

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

John Brown posted:

It's important that you think your class's general aesthetic looks cool.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Heran Bago posted:

It's important that you think your class's general aesthetic looks cool.

Possibly the most important thing, actually. It's a significant contribution to the most powerful stat in the game: how much fun you're having.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Every class you get to 30 gets a full pvp kit that embraces different but fully realized and fun class fantasies too. Ninja is a super mobile, survival heavy melee/ranged hybrid in pvp, for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

John Brown posted:

If you're planning on playing your way through the game rather than level skipping to endgame then pick literally whatever class sounds cool to you, because you'll unlock more classes as you go and can always mix it up. That said Archer/Bard is a fun ranged DPS class with a bunch of mobility, and both Paladin and Warrior are fun decently-mobile tanks.