Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Juando290
Apr 22, 2007

You stopped toe curlin in the hot tub cause you heard sperms stay alive in there and you have seen Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles enough times to know how that story ends.

Is this how that Jeff guy got on the nuke operator list?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1663399270446256128
Oh no, anyway.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

https://financialpost.com/pmn/business-pmn/europes-gas-traders-watch-for-sub-zero-price-in-summer-glut
Europe's Gas Traders Watch for Sub-Zero Price in Summer Glut

quote:

(Bloomberg) — Some European short-term natural gas prices could briefly dip below zero this summer if sluggish demand doesn’t catch up with a growing supply glut.

Article content
Such an event — where producers effectively pay someone to take their gas —is looking ever more possible with prices collapsing to pre-crisis levels, according to traders at the annual E-World energy fair in Essen, Germany.

It’s something that hasn’t happened since October 2006 when UK within-day rates briefly fell below zero after a new supply pipeline opened amid mild weather. Similar forces are at work now, with prices crashing as inventories fill fast, consumption sputters and strong wind and solar output. Markets for countries with limited storage like the UK have a higher chance of hitting zero.

“Individual regional gas markets in Europe could go negative when you have hours and days with renewable production,” Peder Bjorland, vice president for gas trading and optimization at oil major Equinor ASA, said in an interview. “There is quite a big distance from the price level we see now and to the single-digit and negative prices, and a lot can happen on that route.”

European gas stockpiles are above seasonal norms at about 66% full, and some expect storage sites to be topped as early as August, long before the start of the heating season. At the same time, lower prices are yet to revive industrial demand, with some buyers delaying gas purchases until market rates fall even further.

Full Stores

“If everything continues like this, we are going to be full fairly early during the summer, by September or October, and then it all depends on how early winter kicks in,” said Gyorgy Vargha, chief executive officer of Swiss trading firm MET International. “In a very short term, for a few days if the storage is full, we could see some single-digit prices potentially because of the physical bottlenecks.”

Article content
Dutch front-month gas, Europe’s benchmark, fell to near €26 ($28) per megawatt-hour Thursday. It’s down about 66% this year and trading at a fraction of the €342 peak reached in August.

In the short-term market, where negative prices are most likely to occur, the Dutch day-ahead contract changed hands at about €28 a megawatt hour. The equivalent UK prices have also declined.

While rare in gas markets, negative prices are increasingly frequent in electricity trading, and strong wind generation during a low-demand weekend can easily push rates below zero. It’s much more volatile than other commodities because there isn’t yet a solution for storage on an industrial scale.

Even so, a lot of factors need to align for near-term gas prices to turn negative, and there are ways to avoid a big crash. For instance, more storage can be found via floating liquified natural gas cargoes. Or, as a last resort, traders may utilize the vast storage capacity in Ukraine.

Prices can still spike, whether from supply outages at LNG plants to the risk of a complete shutoff of Russian pipeline flows. And demand may still pick up from industry.

“If none of the bullish factors materialize and with no Ukrainian storage and no floating on a grand scale, then for a few days prices may fall below €10 a megawatt-hour,” MET’s Vargha said.

—With assistance from Rachel Morison.

This is good for Russiacoin

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Nooner posted:

I wonder what would happen if the Russians just went home?

They'd be back in a couple of years to try again.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Tunicate posted:

https://financialpost.com/pmn/business-pmn/europes-gas-traders-watch-for-sub-zero-price-in-summer-glut
Europe's Gas Traders Watch for Sub-Zero Price in Summer Glut

This is good for Russiacoin

Do most people in Europe use gas for cooking?

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Lammasu posted:

Do most people in Europe use gas for cooking?

Cooking is negligible compared to heating and electricity generation. It's a real mixed bag across Europe with natural gas going into people's domiciles.

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

spankmeister posted:

They'd be back in a couple of years to try again.

I doubt they'll do that when Ukrain has full NATO membership.

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum
I got two things to say, so hear me out.

1) Make ALL nukes, regardless of current location, part of NATO. Launch one, anywhere at anyone, it's NATO, Article 5 happens and that's it.

2) If King Kong plopped down a dirigible-sized dooker in the middle of Red Square it would still not be as big of a piece of poo poo as Putin.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Pot Smoke Phoenix posted:

I got two things to say, so hear me out.

1) Make ALL nukes, regardless of current location, part of NATO. Launch one, anywhere at anyone, it's NATO, Article 5 happens and that's it.

2) If King Kong plopped down a dirigible-sized dooker in the middle of Red Square it would still not be as big of a piece of poo poo as Putin.

:hmmyes:

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
Those drones over Moscow look like tandem wing designs with a small wing in the nose and a big one in the back. All the cool 1930's designs are back!
First the Shahed flying wing and now the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miles_M.35_Libellula or possibly https://crimsonskies.fandom.com/wiki/Hughes_P21-J_Devastator

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

All of that impotent howling about unfair "terrorist drone attacks on Moscow" breaks my loving mind. My brother in Satan, you have been launching regular massive drone attacks against civilian infrastructure in Kyiv for over a year now

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

Could this be a false flag operation to justify full mobilization?

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Monstaland posted:

I think you'd need more than a broken window and delayed traffic for that. More likely it's to cause Russia to redirect air-defence resources.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

GABA ghoul posted:

All of that impotent howling about unfair "terrorist drone attacks on Moscow" breaks my loving mind. My brother in Satan, you have been launching regular massive drone attacks against civilian infrastructure in Kyiv for over a year now

It’s all the more more perplexing since all tankie talking points are based on extreme revanchism - ei. Poland being lovely in the 30’s justified the soviet-nazi collaboration in ‘39, NATO intervening in the Balkans and Iraq is justification for Russia invading Ukraine, etc.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
I'd imagine these drone attacks are unaffiliated or at least not Ukrainian military drones. If the goal is to somewhat terrorize the Russian population, then that falls in line with how oppressed peoples have been fighting back the last 40 years or so. Russia and the US have already dealt with legitimate terrorist attacks in response to their military 'interventions' and I'd imagine Russia will pay for this similarly with respect to these kinds of attacks, especially since nowadays it's easy enough to strap explosives to a drone.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

Monstaland posted:

If a drone blowing up over the Kremlin didn't trigger a mobilization, this won't

The mobilization isn't happening because there's nothing to equip people with

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

Pontificating rear end posted:

I'd imagine these drone attacks are unaffiliated or at least not Ukrainian military drones. If the goal is to somewhat terrorize the Russian population, then that falls in line with how oppressed peoples have been fighting back the last 40 years or so. Russia and the US have already dealt with legitimate terrorist attacks in response to their military 'interventions' and I'd imagine Russia will pay for this similarly with respect to these kinds of attacks, especially since nowadays it's easy enough to strap explosives to a drone.

Uh the photos of the drones show military drones

There's no organized force in Russia sending drones to attack Moscow from inside, especially after Ukraine promised revenge for the huge rocket/drone attacks, what the hell

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
Alrite, maybe that applies more to the other drone attack

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Somaen posted:

If a drone blowing up over the Kremlin didn't trigger a mobilization, this won't

The mobilization isn't happening because there's nothing to equip people with

The mobilisation most likely isn't happening because it's incredibly politically risky to get a bunch of people who might not like you much, give them a reason to really hate you, and then give them a gun.

That's why they've been trying to round up 400,000 volunteers, using more conscripts is just too much risk.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Monstaland posted:

Russia would have blown up some apartment buildings, not just lightly scuffed them.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

GABA ghoul posted:

All of that impotent howling about unfair "terrorist drone attacks on Moscow" breaks my loving mind.

What have these drones in Moscow hit?

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

56th Motorized Infantry 'Mariupol' Brigade
Seh' die Welt in Trummern liegen

beer_war posted:

Russia would have blown up some apartment buildings, not just lightly scuffed them.
"The attacks were widely attributed to Chechen terrorists, although their guilt has never been conclusively proven. Some historians and journalists claim the bombings were coordinated by Russian state security services to help bring Putin into the presidency. Others disagree with such theories or argue that there is insufficient evidence to assign responsibility for the attacks."

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

GABA ghoul posted:

Yes, but it still doesn't excuse Ukraine doing the same thing.

Moral and tactical error.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

CSM posted:

Yes, but it still doesn't excuse Ukraine doing the same thing.

Moral and tactical error.

Ukraine has suffered a longer terror bombing campaign than England did with the blitz.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

ded posted:

Ukraine has suffered a longer terror bombing campaign than England did with the blitz.

At least now they can now make "Keep Calm and Carry On" posters instead of dealing with festering social issues once they win.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Disco Pope posted:

At least now they can now make "Keep Calm and Carry On" posters instead of dealing with festering social issues once they win.

tankies: "Ugh more CRINGE memes from Ukraine? loving give them more money libs"

*laughs at dead children*

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Pontificating rear end posted:

Budanov literally stated yesterday they would retaliate for attacks on Kyiv

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Somaen posted:

Uh the photos of the drones show military drones

There's no organized force in Russia sending drones to attack Moscow from inside, especially after Ukraine promised revenge for the huge rocket/drone attacks, what the hell

No they’re not, they’re weird backwards-looking civilian drone bodies

This is just dumb poo poo to justify bombing Kyiv retroactively, and also to record PR shots that look! Pantsir just as good as Patriot!

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Alan Smithee posted:

tankies: "Ugh more CRINGE memes from Ukraine? loving give them more money libs"

*laughs at dead children*

Just for clarity, I was giving Britain poo poo for the way the Blitz manifested in its national-psyche, not trying to make some kind of Tankie point! (Not that you were necessarily saying I was!)

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

CSM posted:

tactical error.

Doesn't appear to be the case so far. It keeps valuable air defense equipment away from the front for a comparatively small price and Russia has no means of retaliation (nothing they haven't been doing already).

There is also the whole psychological warfare aspect of it. What got the US out of Afghanistan was the public realizing that their goals in the conflict are no longer achievable, no matter how long they stay. It's probably the same thing that will get Russia out of Ukraine. Once the realization sets in that this stupid colonial adventure is unwinnable and also comes at a very high cost, Russia might finally be willing to negotiate. The public has been bombarded for a year with bullshit about 10 million Nazis soldiers and hundreds of thousands of tanks and HIMARS being destroyed every day, but fact is Ukraine was frantically making Molotov cocktails and building tank barriers in the streets of Kyiv a year ago and now they are launching attacks on Moscow. Even the dumbest vatnik watching state TV all day gotta realize that things are actually unwrapping and not wrapping up for the Empire.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Most of the drones were sighted and shot over elite suburbs, so if anything, those attacks would be welcomed if they hit oligarch/officials luxury villas.

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

GABA ghoul posted:

Doesn't appear to be the case so far. It keeps valuable air defense equipment away from the front for a comparatively small price and Russia has no means of retaliation (nothing they haven't been doing already).

There is also the whole psychological warfare aspect of it. What got the US out of Afghanistan was the public realizing that their goals in the conflict are no longer achievable, no matter how long they stay. It's probably the same thing that will get Russia out of Ukraine. Once the realization sets in that this stupid colonial adventure is unwinnable and also comes at a very high cost, Russia might finally be willing to negotiate. The public has been bombarded for a year with bullshit about 10 million Nazis soldiers and hundreds of thousands of tanks and HIMARS being destroyed every day, but fact is Ukraine was frantically making Molotov cocktails and building tank barriers in the streets of Kyiv a year ago and now they are launching attacks on Moscow. Even the dumbest vatnik watching state TV all day gotta realize that things are actually unwrapping and not wrapping up for the Empire.
The argument for months has been that Russia wastes its drones and cruise missiles on striking Ukranian civilian targets, instead of front line military targets. The same argument can be made here as well.

The psychological warfare aspect might work in Russia's favour, as it can galvanize Russia's population to be more pro war. Similar to how Russia's civilian bombing campaign hasn't diminished Ukraine's population's morale.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

gay picnic defence posted:

The mobilisation most likely isn't happening because it's incredibly politically risky to get a bunch of people who might not like you much, give them a reason to really hate you, and then give them a gun.

That's why they've been trying to round up 400,000 volunteers, using more conscripts is just too much risk.

It's also politically risky to have your front collapse due to a lack of people, showing that you're on your way to losing, which is why the first mobilization happened despite the political risks

Victis posted:

No they’re not, they’re weird backwards-looking civilian drone bodies

This is just dumb poo poo to justify bombing Kyiv retroactively, and also to record PR shots that look! Pantsir just as good as Patriot!

Hmm yes the russians staged a false flag attack against the capital city, showing that the military is barely competent to defend it and the war is coming home, embarrassing it horribly, to justify bombing Kyiv, something they had no problem doing before

Makes sense, the Ukrainians would never be able to pull off something like that, a few days after Budanov said they will retaliate for the bombing of Kyiv

Somaen fucked around with this message at 12:09 on May 30, 2023

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

Willo567 posted:

My uncle works in a nuke silo, and doesnt talk about work much but holy moly do those guys all have it out for you man. What the hell did you do to them??

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Willo567 posted:

I expected him to say "these strikes are cool, thanks, Russia, surrender letter is in the post" so I was quite surprised when instead they were mad and promised retaliation.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Disco Pope posted:

I expected him to say "these strikes are cool, thanks, Russia, surrender letter is in the post" so I was quite surprised when instead they were mad and promised retaliation.

I didn't say any of that

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

GABA ghoul posted:

Until they accidentally fly one into an orphanage or something and turn an otherwise apathetic Russian population hard against them. Last thing they want to do is overstep and make the continuation of the war a popular cause in Russia.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Willo567 posted:

I didn't say any of that

I was referring to Budanov.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

gay picnic defence posted:

Until they accidentally fly one into an orphanage or something and turn an otherwise apathetic Russian population hard against them. Last thing they want to do is overstep and make the continuation of the war a popular cause in Russia.
I hope that everything is done to avoid damaging civilian targets.

But the population seems to be entirely happy to keep this going indefinitely, as long as it doesn't concern them, and there really isn't anything else russia could do. They already attack with everything they have. I don't know what were the intended targets but disrupting russian command and control can be more valuable than taking out a mobik in a trench.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Tree Bucket posted:

I assume there's at one guy saying things like "maybe we should call off today's preschool bombardment and focus on supply depots and railheads instead" who keeps getting shouted down by all the other officers.
So like this:

Only registered members can see post attachments!