Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

FirstnameLastname posted:

not saying it's good

it just makes sense it'd happen, coming up with a plan where you still lose in the end just makes you sound like a bad planner unless the ppl looking at it are also expecting failure bc "the other guy's plan has the same things happen except in that plan we still win youre fired loser"

Sure, but every discussion starts like this,

While the latest publication on PLA Army tactics presents a modern, appropriately organized, and well equipped, force.

and I'm not saying your bosses want to see one or another, just that nobody reads Chinese, there's not much in translation, we don't have observers at their exercises or visiting their military very much at all... so... we're just kind of assuming that every positive assessment must be taken with a grain of salt, while their not loving around in the dessert for 20 years in unquestionably a weakness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Frosted Flake posted:

lol

See what I mean about everyone forgetting we got leaks about the state of Ukrainian Air Defences?

Programmable robots, biological.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Mr Teatime posted:

Okay guys be honest with me here, is this a weird response to you or is it supposed to be some quirky c-spam poo poo that I’m just not hip enough to get?

Let's keep at it, I'll say you're braindead, you can counterclaim, and we'll settle in the middle

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

"They have so much new, advanced equipment that it's actually bad" is ... like... what do you even call the tone we describe China in?

This seems bad (for us),

but what I mean about tone is that it contrasts China, (where nearly everything is made), with industrialized countries (where we know industries were moved to China).

You can say it's just linguistics and better than "orient/occident", "first/third world", "civilized/(insert derogatory term here)" but for artillery doctrine specifically, which do you think has the industrial base to produce more guns and ammunition? Which do you think - you can argue about timeframe and scale - is overmatched?

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 05:26 on May 30, 2023

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde

supersnowman posted:

What? Russia already announced storm shadows were used in successful strike on Azovstal for example. They don't claim 100% interception rate.

You're right, I was seeing some sketchier sources now that I'm rechecking them. They do still claim to intercept a pretty high number of them though, way beyond what seems reasonable.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

hot date tonight! posted:

You're right, I was seeing some sketchier sources now that I'm rechecking them. They do still claim to intercept a pretty high number of them though, way beyond what seems reasonable.

What's reasonable? The only way to gauge that is to know how many sams the Russians have concentrated in those areas and then do some basic arithmetic using the likely interception rate of the s300. We have that info for Ukraine, which is why their claims are wildly out of proportion with what's possible at all. We can't say the same for the Russian claims atm because we have no way of knowing how many batteries they have concentrated in a given area.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Mr Teatime posted:

I think it’s a perfectly reasonable response to take Ukrainian air defence success numbers with a grain of salt, it is however astonishingly naive to believe that Russia is carefully targeting all these strikes at military installations to minimise civilian casualties. A charitable explanation is that Russia is attempting to do that but is too incompetent and incapable to manage it but frankly if you’re hurling missiles at cities and you know you can’t precision target worth a poo poo then that’s pretty much just as bad as doing it indiscriminately.

I would argue that the more appropriate takeaway is that "precision targeting" is not a thing that can ever be pulled-off to the extent that pop culture/mainstream media tends to portray it as

it's not a unique idiosyncrasy of Russia that leads them to hit civilians even though they may well be aiming at "legitimate military targets" - that happens to everyone, merely as a function of shooting at a city at all, of engaging in a war at all

the problem is when we look at "Russia's missiles are killing civilians", and people perceive this as:

- "look, maybe they were aiming at something else, but they're too incompetent to hit them, and an incompetent Russia is a beatable Russia. We should keep the war going!"
- "they weren't aiming at something else, they were deliberately targeting civilians - this is an atrocity and a war crime, and Russia must pay. We should keep the war going!"

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Someone post the desert storm dumbbomb numbers again

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
remember when ukrainian anti-air missiles killed two farmers in poland or when they admitted that their own anti-air took out an apartment building before they quickly retracted the statement and arestovych stepped down?

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
stormshadows are relatively slow (~mach 1) and have a range of like 500km if air-launched. if they have awacs up or other means of monitoring aircraft they will have pretty early warning of incoming cruise missiles. and they're fairly slow anyway so intercepting them is just not going to be too difficult.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Frosted Flake posted:

"They have so much new, advanced equipment that it's actually bad" is ... like... what do you even call the tone we describe China in?

This seems bad (for us),

but what I mean about tone is that it contrasts China, (where nearly everything is made), with industrialized countries (where we know industries were moved to China).

You can say it's just linguistics and better than "orient/occident", "first/third world", "civilized/(insert derogatory term here)" but for artillery doctrine specifically, which do you think has the industrial base to produce more guns and ammunition? Which do you think - you can argue about timeframe and scale - is overmatched?

i think that one's saying China is an industrialized nation but that china recognized their close in maneuver forces would [prob] be outmatched by other industrialized nation's so they focused on a stronger artillery section, not that the artillery itself is outmatched

it's clunkily written though

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

crepeface posted:

remember when ukrainian anti-air missiles killed two farmers in poland or when they admitted that their own anti-air took out an apartment building before they quickly retracted the statement and arestovych stepped down?

no, i don't remember

i wonder if there is something going around causing memory loss

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Frosted Flake posted:

This seems bad (for us),

i think that was literally written by a /r/credibledefense reddit guy? here's his claimed motivation for it: https://old.reddit.com/r/CredibleDefense/comments/wdgwle/please_join_us_for_a_discussion_of_the_us_army/iikg3iq/

quote:

This is a great question and is very close to my heart/ego.

To go back a bit, this thing began as a doctrine document, not an intelligence one. As I proceeded through writing it, I discovered that no one had written on any of this since...1984. And the IC got VERY interested once word got out what we were developing.

Fast forward to editing and staffing, our leadership gave us two orders: 1) it had to fully comply with IC positions on everything, and 2) it had to be fully unclass (not even CUI). This made editing quite a chore, as I had to make sure every statement in the book was either validated by or not commented on by the IC. The compliance part was fairly simple: I just had to get the thumbs up from every corner of the IC. Making it fully unclass was harder, and it meant that I had to be judicious in what was included and omit some things that were of definite interest to the training audience.

Your question about the moving target is a good one also -- there isn't really any speculation in the ATP that isn't backed by proper intel, but the PLA is sort of obsessed with change and that makes doctrine (which is usually on a much longer timeline) hard to maintain. A good axiom -- relevant to what is happening in Ukraine right now -- is "doctrine doesn't change with the news." That said, we're anticipating a new major doctrine revision from the PLA in the next 18-24 months (the first in 15 years) and that will likely drive changes in the ATP.

that's kind of unbelieveable but also would explain some things

yeah reading his account posts... that's gotta be real. so yeah the us army doctrine document writer guys are literally just the reddit war guys

Iriscoral
Apr 9, 2023

为人民服务

Frosted Flake posted:

Sure, but every discussion starts like this,

While the latest publication on PLA Army tactics presents a modern, appropriately organized, and well equipped, force.

and I'm not saying your bosses want to see one or another, just that nobody reads Chinese, there's not much in translation, we don't have observers at their exercises or visiting their military very much at all... so... we're just kind of assuming that every positive assessment must be taken with a grain of salt, while their not loving around in the dessert for 20 years in unquestionably a weakness.

Nothing new under the sun.

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde

Slavvy posted:

What's reasonable? The only way to gauge that is to know how many sams the Russians have concentrated in those areas and then do some basic arithmetic using the likely interception rate of the s300. We have that info for Ukraine, which is why their claims are wildly out of proportion with what's possible at all. We can't say the same for the Russian claims atm because we have no way of knowing how many batteries they have concentrated in a given area.

We really don't have that info for Ukraine in any realistic way, it's not like they're actually telling us accurately how many systems they have and where they've place them. That would be very silly of them.

Any claims above like 60% start to strain credibility to me, but if they had a concentrated force somewhere it should have higher success rates and it's hard to know.

Cuttlefush posted:

stormshadows are relatively slow (~mach 1) and have a range of like 500km if air-launched. if they have awacs up or other means of monitoring aircraft they will have pretty early warning of incoming cruise missiles. and they're fairly slow anyway so intercepting them is just not going to be too difficult.

There's more to a successful interception that just long range detection, you may be able to detect something before you can actually lock and intercept. The storm shadow claims some stealth capability intended to reduce locking range but as far as I know we don't have much data on how effective it is. Either way I don't think it's that simple.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

We really don't have that info for Ukraine in any realistic way, it's not like they're actually telling us accurately how many systems they have and where they've place them. That would be very silly of them.

Any claims above like 60% start to strain credibility to me, but if they had a concentrated force somewhere it should have higher success rates and it's hard to know.

There's more to a successful interception that just long range detection, you may be able to detect something before you can actually lock and intercept. The storm shadow claims some stealth capability intended to reduce locking range but as far as I know we don't have much data on how effective it is. Either way I don't think it's that simple.

We literally do have accurate SAM information from the leaks :psyduck:

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

pretty sure they don't have any actual stealth features and that's just media articles calling them "stealthy" for some reason. they might have pen-aids but that kind of thing is usually not on the export models.

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde

Slavvy posted:

Assuming that information was accurate, I think it's pretty unlikely they didn't move those systems around after the leaks happened

Cuttlefush posted:

pretty sure they don't have any actual stealth features and that's just media articles calling them "stealthy" for some reason. they might have pen-aids but that kind of thing is usually not on the export models.

Information is totally messed up by the media hype on this one so I'm not totally sure

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Cuttlefush posted:

i think that was literally written by a /r/credibledefense reddit guy? here's his claimed motivation for it: https://old.reddit.com/r/CredibleDefense/comments/wdgwle/please_join_us_for_a_discussion_of_the_us_army/iikg3iq/

that's kind of unbelieveable but also would explain some things

yeah reading his account posts... that's gotta be real. so yeah the us army doctrine document writer guys are literally just the reddit war guys

intelligence farmed out to brown moses' wikipedia and google crew

doctrine farmed out to epic reddit guys

what else is next, the furniture and food stuff on bases? :v:

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Assuming that information was accurate, I think it's pretty unlikely they didn't move those systems around after the leaks happened

Information is totally messed up by the media hype on this one so I'm not totally sure

yeah. the credibleish stuff is just the design for lower radar cross section and terrain following-ish flight profile. the actual RCS, who knows, but i think you can get decent estimates for that kind of stealth design and im not sure how terrain following they end up being. if it actually is doing terrain following though it's going to really depend on the defense system placement and actually terrain how useful that ends up being. you could have terrain/defense setups that will never intercept or ones where it wouldnt matter.

but yeah the potentially lower RCS/terrain following is why being launched from a jet would matter since if that's noticed and you assume those were to launch cruise missiles you will be in a lot better position to actually find them than without any advance warning. it's really just all pretty useless speculation though. maybe we'll get numbers in 20 years or something

Cuttlefush has issued a correction as of 06:24 on May 30, 2023

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

You didn't look at the leaks did you

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Slavvy posted:

couldnt, itd be a crime doncha know :ssh:

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Mr Teatime posted:

I think it’s a perfectly reasonable response to take Ukrainian air defence success numbers with a grain of salt, it is however astonishingly naive to believe that Russia is carefully targeting all these strikes at military installations to minimise civilian casualties. A charitable explanation is that Russia is attempting to do that but is too incompetent and incapable to manage it but frankly if you’re hurling missiles at cities and you know you can’t precision target worth a poo poo then that’s pretty much just as bad as doing it indiscriminately.

Nice analysis!

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde

Slavvy posted:

I've looked at least 3 versions of them that I've seen posted in various places and while one looks unedited compared to the other versions I'm really not sure. Either way I'm also not sure it wasn't an intentional leak from US intelligence and maybe that's too :tinfoil: but I don't trust any information, there's layers of an information war happening in media and online.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

AnimeIsTrash posted:

she slava on my ukraini till i bandera

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Frosted Flake posted:

This is a bigger problem than people realize as, for example, I had a recent presentation on International Relations that was premised on Russia being defeated, American hegemony maintained and “so-called ‘multipolarity’” being a Chinese fantasy that may lead them to making the same strategic mistake and being defeated in Taiwan. The conclusion being that both countries need to be reintegrated into the Rules Based International Order graciously.

Now I’m not at the heights of policy or anything lol but you can see how Ukraine being defeated is unacceptable - beyond you know, being embarrassed.

How many other things are premised on the narrative that’s not only been built up but officially absorbed? How many organizations have built that into their planning? Probably at least some important ones. Probably some decisions vis a vis Taiwan have been made under the belief that Russia has been set back to 2007, if not 1991-89, by Ukraine.

e: For example, whatever version of F-16 Taiwan wants to buy was mentioned as likely being decisive to deterring or defeating a Chinese PRC cross strait invasion because of the expectation of how much damage Ukraine will do when they get their F-16s. Again, this is people loving around in out little bubble away from the levers of power, but you can see how each one of those conjectures are spoken of as fact pretty much anywhere a reasonable person would go to be informed.

i recently sat in on something about "gender, peace, and security" and it was about building "gender-inclusive ways to deliver peace and security globally." drone bombing weddings in the middle east but wokishly, i guess

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Slavvy posted:

If I recall correctly. The Buk and S-300 systems were projected to be exhausted by mid-May. Which was two weeks ago. The news about the current strikes focuses on the Patriot system doing most of the heavy lifting, so they Soviet systems may have run out of ammo.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Horizon Burning posted:

i recently sat in on something about "gender, peace, and security" and it was about building "gender-inclusive ways to deliver peace and security globally." drone bombing weddings in the middle east but wokishly, i guess

It means pulling out a stress card and leaving the trenches for the safe space bunker, filled with ball pits, teddy bears and cookies.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

FirstnameLastname posted:

saving this post for the inevitable bill maher kanye interview where this actually happens

https://www.the-sun.com/entertainment/8236728/fans-concerned-kanye-west-police-shirt-new-photos/ we're getting closer already

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

drat he's kinda pulling that look off. how the gently caress

also he's getting wider. soon it will be as foretold

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLIhBjFPL50

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/Kaisermod/status/1663252781442973696?t=GB0RS4-C1lvo4yH0Y7KTng&s=19

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

quote:

Added “Black Clouds Cover Over the Ruins”, "Cossacks Were Riding", “Ked my pryishla karta (This is the Map)”, "Long Live, Free Ukraine", "Oh, Grow You Dry Oak“, “Oh, On the Mountain the Reapers are Harvesting”, “Oi, vydno selo (Oh, You Can See the Village)”, "There's a Willow in the Field" for Ukraine.

most of those songs are baller but the titles are pretty funny. also if you search for them there are usually extremely poo poo modernized versions for some reason.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
As for the air war, we don't know everything but we can infer. The leaks were pretty direct about the number of Soviet systems left, and between Russian strikes and ammo usage they have clearly become much less of a factor in Ukraine's airspace.

Furthermore, the Russians have been going after Patriot batteries, I don't know if they are gone necessarily but they have been degraded. Ukraine may have other Western systems out there, but they are likely holding them for ambushes rather than static air defense.

Otherwise, the number of Russian strikes especially of Geran drones has greatly increased and while there is some signs of drones getting shot down, there is more evidence they are doing some significant damage. Supposedly, a few low level earthquakes were left around Kiev recently (not confirmed though). It suggests the Russians are getting more ballsy with strikes, including them further West of Kiev. This is obviously an issue for the Ukrainians because they may be targeting both remaining air defense as well as ammo and vehicle shortages, which Ukraine is both short of.

There has been evidence of some storm shadows going though, it is unclear what they hit but at least a few of them have. There also been evidence of missiles being shot as well. The number of strikes and the damage done by those which got through seem pretty fairly small scale though.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Russian defence ministry says 8 drones involved in Moscow attack

quote:

Russia’s defence ministry said that Ukraine attacked Moscow with eight drones but all were either shot down or suppressed using electronic warfare systems that had caused them to navigate away from their targets.

The rare attack on the Russian capital caused “minor” damage to buildings and no casualties, the city’s mayor said.

Retaliatory drone strikes on Moscow this morning.

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

euphronius posted:

more USA students died from guns than USA troops last year

not all children are troops but all troops are children so thats always true

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Slavvy posted:

it is a crime to remember things

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

one side is saying Zelenskyy will be riding a tank into the Kremlin in 3 days. the other side is saying that we have leaked information on the state of Ukrainian antiair defenses.

the middle position is that Zelenskyy will be riding a tank into the Kremlin in 6 days. Everyone else is an unrealistic ideologue hopelessly compromised by reddit or tankies

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

Great, no chance of GPS getting unblocked anytime soon then.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Mr Teatime posted:

I think it is astonishingly naïve to believe that the Russians have any ability to target at all. We have had enormous amounts of very credible reporting demonstrating beyond question that incompetent, illiterate, and naked conscripts, fresh from their crude huts beyond the urals, are being lead by a random collection of obese, idiot officers pulled out of retirement.

Rather than repeating tankies lies and narratives that originated directly with Putin, you should educate yourself with the high grade reporting available through US, Canadian, and European media establishments

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

Kommersant has an interactive map of where the attack happened in Moscow: https://www.kommersant.ru/doc/6013488

Two of them stick out to me, but it's probably coincidental? The southernmost one is close to Vnukovo airport, which is where government planes land/depart. The one at Novatorskaya is only something like 50 metres away from the German embassy. I have a banya friend who works there, gonna ask if that came up at work today ))