Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Brought To You By posted:

Go full on plasticman and nobody is actually Twilight in the last few shots but the sheer paranoia that any of them could be will cause the group to fall apart due to fear of treachery.

You know I was joking, but this is a distantly plausible outcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

With Operation Strix on the line I wonder if this will be the arc where Twilight starts realizing he legitimately cares about his fake family.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Electric Phantasm posted:

With Operation Strix on the line I wonder if this will be the arc where Twilight starts realizing he legitimately cares about his fake family.

I am pretty sure we're not going to get that moment until he actually gets into conflict with Yor in some fashion.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Disguised Nightfall looks like someone, but I can't quite place it.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Gyges posted:

Disguised Nightfall looks like someone, but I can't quite place it.

hanako from wotakoi has similar hair, glasses, and is also repeatedly dragged into the orbit of a pink-haired girl with limited social skills.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

ImpAtom posted:

I am pretty sure we're not going to get that moment until he actually gets into conflict with Yor in some fashion.

Uh...they get into conflicts all the time, like so many conflicts cause Yor is normal.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Here's some really dumb fanfic totally serious speculation:

this is a joint Twilight/Daybreak operation (the latter has been hired as a mercenary for it)
At any time "Wheeler" could be either of them and this whole charade is to sell those documents' authenticity.
And then at the end of the arc, I dunno, four pages of Daybreak/Nightfall ship bait.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I appreciate that the thread will never forget Daybreak despite him showing up for a total of one chapter

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the one he approached was yuri, so that wheeler is definitely loid. his job is to stall the stasi, not infiltrate them or catch wheeler.

Yeah, his mention is explicitly to stall the SSS, and he explicitly knows Yuri, so he knows he can use Yuri to manipulate the whole organization.

e: the real twist is that the other guy on the last page will be the real Wheeler

thetoughestbean posted:

I appreciate that the thread will never forget Daybreak despite him showing up for a total of one chapter

he was in the background of the tennis arc as one of the many opponents that Nightfall/Loid destroyed.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 06:22 on May 29, 2023

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
e: double post

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

thetoughestbean posted:

The Daybreak Everywhere System

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

thetoughestbean posted:

Speaking for myself:

1) he's a fun one shot character to poo poo on because seriously, he's the local Wimp Lo.

2) since the joke would get stale on a second showing (cameos where he gets owned don't count) he'd get expanded characterization if he showed up again and I think our boy has potential.

Also come on, what are the odds* he accidentally picked a code name in perfect sync with Wise's top agents' ones? There's clearly something deeper with our dumb pretend spy.
*(100% because it's that kind of manga but :ssh: let me dream)

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Omobono posted:

Speaking for myself:

1) he's a fun one shot character to poo poo on because seriously, he's the local Wimp Lo.

2) since the joke would get stale on a second showing (cameos where he gets owned don't count) he'd get expanded characterization if he showed up again and I think our boy has potential.

Also come on, what are the odds* he accidentally picked a code name in perfect sync with Wise's top agents' ones? There's clearly something deeper with our dumb pretend spy.
*(100% because it's that kind of manga but :ssh: let me dream)

I mean he literally named himself to contrast Twilight, we see his thoughts about it. Twilight is infamous enough to be a boogeyman for pretty much all of Ostania in-story.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
He's Twilight's stepbrother via his Ostanian spy dad. Shame he inherited none of the talent

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

I have no idea what's going on

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
It's hard to imagine Loid immediately and completely bunging up his one task so it's got to be him as Wheeler. Only thing I don't get (unless I missed an explanation) is how he knows about the tie pin Wheeler used as a signal. He mentioned having worked with Wheeler in the past, but as part of the Westalis intelligence service -- it seems like it would be really bad opsec to be using the same signal on both sides when you're a double agent. But maybe he gets confused easily so it was easier to just go with the one tie, and he just shoots anyone who gets suspicious; he seems pretty good at that part

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Loid is dressed as Wheeler and then Wheeler shows up dressed as Loid, Loid isn't sure about what to do in this situation.

Yuri remains Yuri.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
Based on Wheeler's observation from the hotel, there seems to also be at least two other unmentioned Wise agents involved.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Rubellavator posted:

I have no idea what's going on

We know Yuri, we know.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Honestly, the simplest play here would be for Loid to show up right now at the meeting spot looking identical to Wheeler. He doesn't have to do anything refined, just spread chaos and confusion.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Flair posted:

Based on Wheeler's observation from the hotel, there seems to also be at least two other unmentioned Wise agents involved.

That would most likely be the Blue Team mentioned by the mustache agent.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Loid is dressed as Wheeler and then Wheeler shows up dressed as Loid, Loid isn't sure about what to do in this situation.

Yuri remains Yuri.

drat, a spy being good enough to show up disguised as Loid (which seems possible if they've got Strix info and we know they're a drat good spy) would be pretty wild. I'm gonna be disappointed if this doesn't happen now.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Honestly, the simplest play here would be for Loid to show up right now at the meeting spot looking identical to Wheeler. He doesn't have to do anything refined, just spread chaos and confusion.

Nightfall also does the same as well.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

RareAcumen posted:

Nightfall also does the same as well.

The Spider-Man pointing meme but with all these spies in Wheeler cosplay

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Electric Phantasm posted:

I mean he basically hints that he has genuine concern for Anya that is probably bordering on caring for her, and I don't think he dislikes Yor at all.

The fun part is how dense both Loid and Yor are to be witness to both their capabilities and not able to put two and two together.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Even if Yor knows normal people like her brother are nowhere near Thorn Princess resilient and Lloyd being so should raise questions, it has been long established her mind is nowhere as sharp as her knives.
Lloyd really has no excuses though as he has directly seen a boatload of superhuman feats by his wife. Whom he should kiss.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Consider: it's funny

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Omobono posted:

Even if Yor knows normal people like her brother are nowhere near Thorn Princess resilient and Lloyd being so should raise questions, it has been long established her mind is nowhere as sharp as her knives.
Lloyd really has no excuses though as he has directly seen a boatload of superhuman feats by his wife. Whom he should kiss.

Yor is an airhead, but she also knows a capable person as she fights them frequently. And yes, Yor needs to wine up and seal the deal.

Compendium posted:

Yes, the two of them being capable but dense is incredibly funny. And Anya just being in the middle thriving on the entertainment factor of those two.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Compendium posted:

I thought this didn't need to be stated.
Also, nice understatement there.

CommieGIR posted:

Yor is an airhead, but she also knows a capable person as she fights them frequently. And yes, Yor needs to wine up and seal the deal.

The way I see it, Lloyd while superhuman is not particularly close to Yor's level in combat and he's very careful about keeping his civilian mask up at all times. So she has far less information to suss him out.
Disagree on that last part though, Yor should kiss her husband while stone cold sober.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Omobono posted:

The way I see it, Lloyd while superhuman is not particularly close to Yor's level in combat and he's very careful about keeping his civilian mask up at all times. So she has far less information to suss him out.
Disagree on that last part though, Yor should kiss her husband while stone cold sober.

Her anxiety wouldn't allow it, though it would be best for her to be sober.

And yeah, during their mock fight for Anya's party in the castle, its pretty obvious if Yor was sober and intent, she could take Loid easily. But she was also drunk during that entire event so I doubt she remembers much to make the connection anyways. Hell, she was toasted before they even got on the plane.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Omobono posted:

He's acknowledged that her physical abilities are absolutely absurd.

He just doesn't assume that it means she's anything unusual beyond that. And, to be fair, Yor was still ridiculous well before she started killing people professionally.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I'm going to throw out another theory: Loid replaced Yuri's boss (since we know he's done that before) and indicated that Yuri should accept the intel so they'd know where the meet was being changed to.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Loid is the tie clip

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

It'll be revealed Loid had to run back home because Anya ran out of peanuts at school and got upset.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

It'll be revealed Loid had to run back home because Anya ran out of peanuts at school and got upset.

This is obviously a state emergency.

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

In my mind I just pretend. My brain is my only true friend.
New chapter is out.

(Chapter thoughts in spoilers since it’s still rather early.)

We knew it was coming but this feels like the culmination of quite a few plot points. Wise gets a mole found out, Loid and Yuri both actually feel like they’ve got an opponent who could possibly get the better of them, Yor gets a small tiny scene that could be viewed a few different ways, etc. I actually feel like that description is actually downplaying it a bit too.

The end feels like a cleverly placed fake out from another one of the fights also occurring but this manga has surprised us before with how they tackle things so who knows.

It also almost feels like we’ve skipped straight to the action too, like there could have been another chapter of setup and it would have made sense but this approach works just fine too. Sometimes it is better to skip the exposition and go straight to fisticuffs lol.

It’s definitely a tonal whip, even from the last chapter but I’ll be curious how things play out for sure.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
:rip: Jeffery

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Its exciting because there are so many different ways this could end up playing out. Personally I think the fight in the sewer is going to be indecisive/Loid gets away BUT he's wounded and we get that Thanksgiving scene from the first Spider-Man movie out of it between him and Yuri once we think he's clear

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
Loid is going to lose a fight he could otherwise win because when he’s ready to deal the killing blow he imagines how sad Yor would be. This will lead into a multi-chapter arc where Loid finally realises his own feelings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Zore posted:

Its exciting because there are so many different ways this could end up playing out. Personally I think the fight in the sewer is going to be indecisive/Loid gets away BUT he's wounded and we get that Thanksgiving scene from the first Spider-Man movie out of it between him and Yuri once we think he's clear

That's what I was thinking